Author Topic: "Attack Therapy" at The John Dewey Academy  (Read 43236 times)

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
Re: "Attack Therapy" at The John Dewey Academy
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2008, 03:51:23 PM »
Quote from: "Anne Bonney"

Cite your sources please....and that doesn't mean this article.  Please show me where clinical studies have been done to show that this is beneficial.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."   C.S. Lewis

I'm still waiting for those sources.  I have a feeling I shouldn't hold my breath. 
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2008, 04:09:41 PM »

Cite your sources please....and that doesn't mean this article.  Please show me where clinical studies have been done to show that this is beneficial.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."   C.S. Lewis

Show us where it was stated clinical studies were conducted, then we can track down the source.  I went back and reread the posts and I think you were mistaken.  Most of us have been referencing the OP article.

I'm still waiting for those sources.  I have a feeling I shouldn't hold my breath. 

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2008, 04:12:44 PM »

Show us where it was stated clinical studies were conducted, then we can track down the source.  I went back and reread the posts and I think you were mistaken.  Most of us have been referencing the OP article.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Attack Therapy 101
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2008, 04:32:59 PM »
Quote from: "Migraine"
Quote from: "HUNAN"
Here's Bratter's "attack therapy" outcome study.  How ironic Bratter was sentenced in Litchfield.

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-8337096.html

Man sentenced in assault case

LITCHFIELD, Conn. -- The president of a private school in western Massachusetts was sentenced today to three years probation and ordered to make $50,000 charitable donation in the case involving a teen-age student who said he sexually assaulted her in 1993 at his Connecticut home. Thomas Bratter, the 55-year-old founder of the John Dewey Academy in Great Barrington, was sentenced in Litchfield Superior Court and also ordered to serve 500 hours of community service. Bratter, of Salisbury, Conn. had pleaded no contest to second-degree unlawful restraint. The John Dewey Academy is a school for at-risk adolescents.

That was 15 years ago!!  Things change over time.

just look at the articles on Straight and Synanon from the 1960's compared to how they fell about the now.

:D  Did things change, or did Bratter?  Neither.  I base that on "anecdotal data".   ;D

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2008, 04:38:10 PM »
Quote from: "Harper"

Opponents of "attack therapy" do not under-stand is that confrontation has proven effective

Where's the proof?

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2008, 04:40:03 PM »
Since you missed this the first time around, this is from four years ago.  A more recent vintage?  Same shit.

http://www.isaccorp.org/documents/dewey ... 26.04.html

Dewey Academy is sued over teacher-student affair

By Derek Gentile

Berkshire Eagle Staff

August 26, 2004

GREAT BARRINGTON -- A former student at the John Dewey Academy is suing the private therapeutic boarding school and some of its officials, including headmaster Thomas Bratter, for allegedly failing to properly oversee a female teacher who enticed the student into a sexual relationship.

The civil suit was filed last week in U.S. District Court in Boston by the Boston law firm of Brody, Hardoon, Perkins & Kesten.

The defendants are listed as John Dewey Academy, Bratter, dean of students Kenneth Steiner and Gwendolyn Hampton, a former teacher.

The suit was filed by former student [name withheld by ISAC].

The [family is] seeking to be compensated for personal injury, emotional distress, breach of contract, reasonable attorney's fees and punitive fees. No specific figure was requested in the suit, but the [student's parents] contend they spent $110,000 on the education of their son at Dewey Academy.

Contacted yesterday, Bratter denied the claims in the suit. As soon as he and Steiner were made aware of the relationship, he said, the school fired Hampton.

"We take very seriously our position as role models for our students," said Bratter. "Had we had any suspicion that this was happening, we would have terminated that employee immediately."

Hampton could not be reached for comment yesterday.

The suit contends that Bratter and Steiner failed to properly supervise Hampton, a Spanish teacher who was also assigned as [the student's] clinician.

[The student] was admitted to Dewey Academy in 1999 after being expelled from high school in Illinois for drug and alcohol abuse.

In the spring of 2000, [the student] and Hampton began a sexual relationship when [the student] was 18 and Hampton was 28. Hampton had been hired by Dewey Academy in the mid- 1990s, according to the suit.

According to the suit, Hampton was entrusted with counseling the young man. Instead, she regularly gave [the student] alcohol, encouraged his use of drugs and had sexual relations with him at her home in Great Barrington and in the school car.

After [the student] graduated in 2001, the relationship continued. In June 2002, with [the student] in college, the couple had a child, which was later placed for adoption, according to the suit.

[The student] was of legal age, and Massachusetts law does not prohibit teachers from having sexual relationships with their students if the students are 16 or older. No charges were ever filed against Hampton.

However, the lawsuit contends that students and staff were aware of the relationship between [the student] and Hampton, and that the school did nothing to investigate or stop it, a charge Bratter angrily denies.

Lawrence E. Hardoon, who filed the lawsuit on behalf of the [family], is a former state prosecutor who has handled sexual abuse cases.

He said he believes that state law should be expanded to make it illegal for teachers to have sex with their students, even if those students are 16 or older.

"Actually, I don't disagree with that," said Bratter yesterday. "The law should be changed."

This is the second time a Dewey Academy official has been charged with having an inappropriate relationship with a student.

In 1995, Bratter pleaded no contest in Connecticut to a charge of second-degree unlawful restraint, which involved an alleged relationship with a 17-year-old girl. However, the charges lodged by the girl in the same case in Massachusetts were dropped.

The Dewey Academy, a coeducational, college preparatory therapeutic boarding school, was founded by Bratter in 1985. The annual tuition at the school, which houses its students year-round, is $65,000.

NOTE: The name of the family has been withheld by the International Survivors Action Committee.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2008, 04:48:06 PM »
The link is kind of funny.

http://www.angelfire.com/mn/behindbars2/bratter.html

Name: Thomas Bratter                 
Crime: Sexual Assault
Details: The president and founder of John Dewey Academy, a private school in Great Barrington, Massachusetts, sexually assaulted a female teenage student in his home in 1993.
Accomplice: None known
Date convicted: July 1995
Sentence: 3 years probation, 500 hours of community service and ordered to make $50,000 charitable donation.
Source: The Boston Globe
Url: www.boston.com

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2008, 04:51:34 PM »

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2008, 05:42:28 PM »

Anne Bonny, or Who ever you are you are a piece of shit as are the rest of you.  Sexual assault is not funny just because he got community service doesn’t mean he was innocent.  You ask for proof and long term studies for everything, sometimes just someones story or have to believe what someone is saying is good enough.  Why is this anecdotal evidence not good enough for you people.  That’s what they told us in court they wanted proof, not anecdotal evidence so the son of a bitch that hurt my kid went free.  Sometimes a persons account of what happened is true and should be listened to.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2008, 05:59:55 PM »
Quote from: "HYSERT"

Anne Bonny, or Who ever you are you are a piece of shit as are the rest of you.  Sexual assault is not funny just because he got community service doesn’t mean he was innocent.

Whoa there.  I think you're misunderstanding Anne Bonnie.  I don't think she was arguing or implying that he was innocent.

You ask for proof and long term studies for everything

I think she was referring to a long term study into the efficacy of "attack therapy" (since most here know such a thing would probably not show good results).

sometimes just someones story or have to believe what someone is saying is good enough.  Why is this anecdotal evidence not good enough for you people.  That’s what they told us in court they wanted proof, not anecdotal evidence so the son of a bitch that hurt my kid went free.  Sometimes a persons account of what happened is true and should be listened to.

If it's a first hand account, i'd agree with you.  Otherwise you'd be opening pandora's box of heresay.  Everybody should be entitled a fair trial (not that the system always works...).
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2008, 09:37:02 AM »
Also, when I posted the link to Bratter's sentencing, it was the image accompanying it that was funny, not Bratter's crime.  Now it's not showing up.  Anyway, HYSERT, you're WAY off the mark.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2008, 03:02:43 AM »
Quote from: "TheWho"
Why all the negativity on Anecdotal data?  I agree that there are better forms of data collection and presentation, but in the absence of long term controlled studies, anecdotal evidence is acceptable, revealing and educational.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2008, 03:10:18 AM »
^

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
    • http://www.freepowerboards.com/strugglingppl/index.php
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2008, 01:52:20 PM »
The puppy knows...

You normally hear about "anecdotal data" prefaced by "All that's available is", or "All that remains is", meaning there is no way of obtaining reliable data.  I hear Dr. Bratter's bankrupt, so hopefully "all that remains" will apply to any further discussions of John Dewey Academy's "success". 

If Bratter had been sent to prison, he would have experienced a form of "attack therapy" initiated by a cell mate that would have changed his outlook on brutal confrontation.
\"Allah does not love the public utterance of hurtful speech, unless it be by one to whom injustice has been done; and Allah is Hearing, Knowing\" - The Qur\'an

\"I\'m there to handle kids that are psychotic, suicidal, homicidal, or have commited felonies. Oh yeah, I am also there to take them down when they are rowdy so the nurse can give them the booty juice.\"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2008, 02:26:34 PM »
ZenAgent is an industry spy who elicits information out of the real advocates and survivors who post here.