Author Topic: Girl Pleads to Get Out of Tranquility Bay  (Read 1283 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Girl Pleads to Get Out of Tranquility Bay
« on: March 07, 2008, 05:08:04 PM »
Youth pleads to get out of rehab
By Cayman Net News Online, February 29, 2008

Latchmin “Charlene” Scott 
A 16-year-old girl, who was forcibly sent to Tranquility Bay in Jamaica for rehabilitation, has made a “heart-wrenching” plea to her mother to remove her from the youth facility.

A letter, which was given to Cayman Net News by the minor’s mother, Latchmin “Charlene” Scott, is dated 27 January and was given to Mrs Scott by her daughter’s former Social Worker, Carol Robinson, during the week beginning 17 February.

“I really need you at this time; please I am begging you to get me out of here. Please it was bad enough in girls home but now it’s worse,” writes the minor.

The issue was first reported in this publication earlier this month after the juvenile was allegedly swiftly moved from the Frances Bodden Girls Home in Grand Cayman to Tranquility Bay without the family’s approval.

The young person’s aunt, Jan Scott of Cayman Brac, expressed concerns over possible violations of her niece’s human rights and said the minor was not properly assessed before being dispatched to Jamaica for rehabilitation.

Jan Scott also stated that she felt the decision and handling of the matter was unjust and may worsen her niece’s condition.

Latchmin Scott is very concerned with the way in which her daughter has been treated by the authorities. “She needed help but it could have happened in a different way,” she said.

The mother explained that her daughter, who went to the Frances Bodden Girls Home in September 2007 after being made a ward of the court, was not happy at that facility. According to Latchmin Scott, her daughter’s dissatisfaction was not helped by the Department of Children and Family Services’ decision to prevent her from visiting or maintaining contact with her mother.

Latchmin Scott said that she had always sought to maintain communication with her daughter, an issue that is now exacerbated by her removal to Tranquility Bay.

She believes that Ms Robinson, who was the social worker in the case prior to the minor’s removal to Tranquility Bay, misled her about the action that would be taken by the Department of Children and Family Services following a third suicide attempt by her daughter.

Rather than sending the teenager to the Jamaican facility, “she (Ms Robinson) told me the judge was re-considering the decision to go to Tranquility Bay,” and would withdraw the order pending further investigations, said Latchmin Scott.

However, Latchmin Scott later found out that her daughter was sent to the facility in Jamaica the very day she and Ms Robinson had that conversation.

In her letter, the minor describes how she feels about being at the rehabilitation centre. “I am so depressed and frustrated; this place is much worse than you think and heard.”

She continues, “Yesterday a supervisor came and told me that the court order was for two years but Mommy … I know I won’t last here two months or more!”

Speaking of her future, the teenager states, “But my future has pure grey clouds and overcast skies from my point of view. Me coming here made my intentions of becoming a lawyer or something in life (go) down the drain.”

“Mom, you know me inside out and when I tell you that I’m not happy and comfortable you know what I mean, how I feel and what I’m capable of doing.”

While Latchmin Scott was pleased to hear from her daughter, she was equally upset by its content and felt that the system had failed her daughter.

Ms Robinson was asked to comment on the case. She said it was no longer on her caseload and that queries should be directed to Deanna Lookoy, Director of Children and Family Services.

Efforts to get comments from Mrs Lookloy by email and telephone before press deadline were unsuccessful.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
Re: Girl Pleads to Get Out of Tranquility Bay
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 05:28:03 PM »
I can barely make it through stories like that.  Poor girl. 

traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 06:07:55 PM »
With everything that is known about tranquility bay, how can this possibly be going on?

What can we do??

Who should we send letter to?

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 07:03:53 PM »
Quote from: "ANONER"
With everything that is known about tranquility bay, how can this possibly be going on?
$$$$$$$$$$$

What can be done?  Expose the truth...  Try to convince parents to take their kids out.  Try to help survivors understand what has happened to them.  Try to get the press to give a shit.  Try to get the government to do something.  Try to convince staff to speak out (despite their non disclosure agreements).  But what happens if you do that?  A former staff member of Thayer Learning Centre did, and now they're suing him to try and shut him up.

There is lots that can be done, but people lose hope that things can change quickly.  Most of the press is unwilling to publish stories about such places since they sound so absurd... how could such things happen?  I thought the same thing when I was in a program...  I hardly could believe what was happening around me...

I tend to think that any tactics that would work against Scientology are applicable to the Troubled Teen Industry (with some exceptions).  Why?  You're dealing with cults.  These places brainwash (literally) the kids, the parents, and the staff.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 07:17:30 PM »
Summon the will of anonymous and descend upon them.

Worked vs Scientology...

EDIT: Now is a good a time as any.

Lets brainstorm. How do we even protest them? And when we figure out how and where, what do we do?

IT would have to be in the states, obviously, and I really doubt we have salt lake city anons to help us. So, what do we do?
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 07:19:41 PM »
Quote from: "Nihilanthic"
Summon the will of anonymous and descend upon them.

Worked vs Scientology...
I tend to make things TL;DR...  But I agree.  I think the time for that, though, is after Scientology is done with (give it a few months, and the RTC will collapse)
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 07:20:21 PM »
Anonymous can multi task.
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Fire Swamp

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 12:01:41 AM »
Quote from: "AKMPH"

A 16-year-old girl, who was forcibly sent to Tranquility Bay in Jamaica for rehabilitation, has made a “heart-wrenching” plea to her mother to remove her from the youth facility.

A letter, which was given to Cayman Net News by the minor’s mother, Latchmin “Charlene” Scott, is dated 27 January and was given to Mrs Scott by her daughter’s former Social Worker, Carol Robinson, during the week beginning 17 February.

“I really need you at this time; please I am begging you to get me out of here. Please it was bad enough in girls home but now it’s worse,” writes the minor.

The issue was first reported in this publication earlier this month after the juvenile was allegedly swiftly moved from the Frances Bodden Girls Home in Grand Cayman to Tranquility Bay without the family’s approval.

The young person’s aunt, Jan Scott of Cayman Brac, expressed concerns over possible violations of her niece’s human rights and said the minor was not properly assessed before being dispatched to Jamaica for rehabilitation.

Jan Scott also stated that she felt the decision and handling of the matter was unjust and may worsen her niece’s condition.

Latchmin Scott is very concerned with the way in which her daughter has been treated by the authorities. “She needed help but it could have happened in a different way,” she said.

The mother explained that her daughter, who went to the Frances Bodden Girls Home in September 2007 after being made a ward of the court, was not happy at that facility. According to Latchmin Scott, her daughter’s dissatisfaction was not helped by the Department of Children and Family Services’ decision to prevent her from visiting or maintaining contact with her mother.

Latchmin Scott said that she had always sought to maintain communication with her daughter, an issue that is now exacerbated by her removal to Tranquility Bay.

She believes that Ms Robinson, who was the social worker in the case prior to the minor’s removal to Tranquility Bay, misled her about the action that would be taken by the Department of Children and Family Services following a third suicide attempt by her daughter.

Rather than sending the teenager to the Jamaican facility, “she (Ms Robinson) told me the judge was re-considering the decision to go to Tranquility Bay,” and would withdraw the order pending further investigations, said Latchmin Scott.

However, Latchmin Scott later found out that her daughter was sent to the facility in Jamaica the very day she and Ms Robinson had that conversation.

In her letter, the minor describes how she feels about being at the rehabilitation centre. “I am so depressed and frustrated; this place is much worse than you think and heard.”

She continues, “Yesterday a supervisor came and told me that the court order was for two years but Mommy … I know I won’t last here two months or more!”

Speaking of her future, the teenager states, “But my future has pure grey clouds and overcast skies from my point of view. Me coming here made my intentions of becoming a lawyer or something in life (go) down the drain.”

“Mom, you know me inside out and when I tell you that I’m not happy and comfortable you know what I mean, how I feel and what I’m capable of doing.”

While Latchmin Scott was pleased to hear from her daughter, she was equally upset by its content and felt that the system had failed her daughter.

Ms Robinson was asked to comment on the case. She said it was no longer on her caseload and that queries should be directed to Deanna Lookoy, Director of Children and Family Services.

Efforts to get comments from Mrs Lookloy by email and telephone before press deadline were unsuccessful.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 03:36:20 PM »
“I really need you at this time; please I am begging you to get me out of here. Please it was bad enough in girls home but now it’s worse,”

“I am so depressed and frustrated; this place is much worse than you think and heard.”

“Yesterday a supervisor came and told me that the court order was for two years but Mommy … I know I won’t last here two months or more!”

“But my future has pure grey clouds and overcast skies from my point of view. Me coming here made my intentions of becoming a lawyer or something in life (go) down the drain.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the sort of thing children write their parents in letters from programs every day. What sort of parent has a cold enough heart to ignore this and just chalk it up to 'manipulation' as the programs would have them believe? I just finished reading a thread where someone asked how is your relationship with your parents after leaving. Well imagine being in a prison with the only people keeping you there is your parents, and you beg in letters like this, and they send you back letters saying shut the hell up, you are there till the end. If you can imagine this then you might start to get an idea of what happens to a relationship between the jailer and prisoner previously known as family. I can't even think of a worthy analogy to this situation where relationship dynamics are taken so far out of wack that the effect can only be negative. I mean in ways we cannot even comprehend because the betrayal of this relationship goes so deep. Yet, at the same time the kid knows that their parents are their only hope. The sad truth is if you hurt someone long enough, in the end they will thank you- and mean it- when you choose to end their torture. <-- That's what the parents pay big money for, whether they realize it or not. Talk about a mind fuck.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 01:24:01 PM »
Quote from: "AKMPH"

You think that is bad?  Check this out:

http://www.caycompass.com/cgi-bin/CFPne ... ID=1031645

Boy, 14, has no place to go

By Carol Winker, [email protected]
Wednesday 25th June, 2008   Posted: 13:29 CIT   (18:29 GMT)

There must be somewhere a boy of 14 can be disciplined and kept an eye on, Justice Priya Levers commented in Grand Court on Friday.

Told that the young person before her was to be sent from Eagle House in Cayman to Tranquility Bay in Jamaica, the judge asked why.

She acknowledged that one of the boy’s parents is in jail; the other lives in a country in Central America.

“He has nowhere to go,” she said.

Tranquility Bay has a website on which it is referred to as a specialty boarding school. In Cayman, it has been declared a youth rehabilitation school for the purposes of the Youth Justice Law.

The boy pleaded guilty last year to robbery and possession of an imitation firearm with intent to commit the robbery. He and several other young persons involved in the incident were dealt with in Grand Court because of the seriousness of the offence.

“This young Caymanian boy who has done his time is going to be sent to Tranquillity Bay for what? To be punished again?” Justice Levers asked.

Crown Counsel Alister Cumming said authorities had run out of options.

Reports from social workers said the boy refused to cooperate with anyone from the various agencies.

“Why are we sending him to Tranquillity Bay?” the judge asked. “What are we punishing him for this time – for being born Caymanian?”

She agreed that the boy was not what one could call a disciplined child – he had to be guided.

The judge wondered how often the boy would be allowed to come back. “Can someone tell me what benefit he will get from Tranquillity Bay? What this is saying is we have nowhere for him here, so send him to Jamaica.”

Mr. Cumming said there is no facility for the boy in Cayman.

The judge replied that he is a child of this nation “and deserves to be considered by the state as one of its children.”

She said she had to be satisfied his welfare would be best served by going to Tranquillity Bay. She asked for evidence of what happened at that facility and if any child had improved as a result of being there.

The judge then addressed the boy. “I’m fighting for you, but you are not fighting for yourself,” she told him. “You have to cooperate with authorities.” She encouraged him to talk to social workers or others who came to see him.

“Do you want to go to Tranquillity Bay?” she asked.

“No, ma’am,” he replied.

The judge then spoke to a social worker in court. “Please try again. I cannot discard him because he is not a convenience. I’m not doing that – someone will have to overrule me,” she said.

Defence Attorney John Furniss advised that the Attorney General has to sign the order to send the boy to Tranquillity Bay.

The matter was adjourned for another month.