Author Topic: ADD/ ADHD/ Meds  (Read 20760 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ADD/ ADHD/ Meds
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2005, 11:28:00 PM »
First published on http://www.Huffingtonpost.com

Thanks Tom Cruise
By Peter R. Breggin, M.D.

On June 25, 2005 Tom Cruise did the unthinkable on TV. Actually, he did several "unthinkables" in a filmed interview with NBC's Matt Lauer for the Today Show.

First, Tom stopped smiling. He deprived us of that multi-million dollar grin and got serious.   For a star to do this to the American public was unthinkable.

Second, Tom pointed out that Matt Lauer actually was very "glib" (shallow) and didn't know what he was talking about.   He also urged Matt to  be "more responsible" and to learn something about psychiatry before touting it.  For a star to do this to a media personality was unthinkable.  Since nearly all of them are shallow, this was a threat of potentially epidemic proportions.  Suppose other guests began pointing out that media hosts don't know what they are talking about and are shallow?

Third, he got serious about one of the most important issues in our personal lives, in this case our widespread use of psychiatric drugs to solve our personal distress and anguish.   Tom concluded, "I'm passionate about life."  For anyone to speak this way on television, except perhaps on the Catholic channel, is truly beyond the TV pale; and even the Catholic channel doesn't criticize psychiatry.

Fourth, he criticized psychiatry and drew attention to its genuine flaws and failings.  I suspect he's actually read my book, Toxic Psychiatry. Tom said that psychiatry had a long history of abusing people, including electroshock. He said, "There is no such thing as a chemical imbalance." He said that antidepressants can only "mask the problem" and that "these drugs are very dangerous."  He called psychiatry a "pseudoscience" and suggested that there are better approaches. He was right about all of this.  

A few days later NBC invited me to New York City as a psychiatric expert to discuss the Tom Cruise affair on the Today Show, and when I began by saying it sounded like Tom had been doing some serious reading about psychiatry, I got cut off, again and again, throughout the show.  

Why was the media both drawn into the story and shocked by it?   It was too good a story to simply ignore: "Tom Cruise Gone Wild" was the theme.   It should have been, "Tom Cruise gets serious."

The media would have liked to attack Tom on the grounds that he's a Scientologist.   Scientologists seem to share a number of views about psychiatry with me, including everything Tom said.  In fact, I'd go further.  Modern biological psychiatry is a materialistic religion masquerading as a science.  

How can I say that my profession of psychiatry is a materialistic religion?   Because modern psychiatry makes believe that psychological and spiritual problems, such as anxiety and depression, are caused by mechanical failures in the physical brain, and because psychiatry then attempts to correct these psychological and spiritual problems with physical interventions such as drugs and electroshock.   Modern biological psychiatry takes these views and implements these interventions on faith and it has won a lot of converts with the help of billion-dollar marketing campaigns.  If you want more detailed analyses of the faith and fake science behind the claims of modern psychiatry, you'll find them in my books such as Toxic Psychiatry (1991), Brain-Disabling Treatments in Psychiatry (1997), Talking Back to Ritalin (Revised, 2001), the Antidepressant Fact Book (2001) and the Ritalin Fact Book (2002).  You can find my scientific papers on my website, http://www.breggin.com.   In my books and on the website you'll also find discussions of the many drug-free alternatives that are available for helping people with problems such as anxiety and depression.

The media kept hinting that the problem was Tom's Scientology beliefs but they didn't want to say it.  To some extent it's not politically correct to criticize someone's religion, especially when people like Tom and John Travolta are members.  But that was really not the issue.   The media is afraid of Scientology because the religion has been extremely aggressive toward media critics, often charging them or threatening to charge them with libel and slander.    

I was also invited on to CNBC's the Donny Deutche talk show.   This time I remained in Ithaca, New York only a few blocks from my office in a high tech TV studio.   I was kept waiting in front of the live camera for almost an hour and a half to get a word in as I watched Tom get excoriated.  Although I could see the show on the uplink for this entire time as I sat waiting at any moment to be called upon, they decided not to link me into the show at all and I never got to say a thing in Tom's defense or in criticism of biological psychiatry, drugs and electroshock.  Sitting upright that long without twitching in anticipation of momentarily appearing on millions of televisions was hard enough, but listening to Donny was worse.

While I sat listening to the CNBC show that I was never brought onto, I felt a mixture of outrage and sadness.  Outrage that the show host Donny Deutche bragged up his work in advertising where he helped to produce the Zoloft TV ads with their clever little bouncing faces that made the antidepressant so much more "accessible," in his words, to millions of Americans.   Donny was bragging about an actual fraud-ads that falsely suggest that Zoloft corrects biochemical imbalances and that leave out the warning that the drug causes mania, not to mention psychosis, violence and suicide.  

What was tragic?  Donny's guest was Jane Pauley who was flogging her new book, Out of the Blue.  Jane is the epitome of a media personality, having anchored the Today Show with Tom Brokaw and Bryant Gumbel, and having earned many broadcast awards.  Jane is also a promoter of psychiatry.   She admitted to having developed "hypomanic" (milder than full-blown mania) symptoms on an antidepressant.   At the time, she explained, her mind and thoughts were racing and she couldn't control them. But then she added that of course the drug didn't make her become manic; the drug just "brought out" her underlying or pre-existing bipolar disorder.  

Of course, I don't know anything about Jane Pauley except what she's told us and she's not really the issue.   Celebrities are actively recruited by marketing departments to promote medical and psychiatric treatments.  I do know that psychiatrists often lie to patients to protect themselves and their drugs.   My colleagues lie by saying the antidepressant merely "brought out" their mania, psychosis, violence or depression, rather than the drug caused it in the otherwise innocent victim.  Jane Pauley thinks she is a victim of bipolar disorder when she sounds to me like a victim of psychiatry.

It's no small matter to falsely inform a person that their drug-induced mania shows they have bipolar disorder.   It results in a false diagnosis and a stigmatizing label (bipolar or manic-depressive disorder) that follows people for the rest of their lives.   It leads to additional medications, often including antipsychotic drugs like Zyprexa and Risperdal that can cause lethal diabetes and pancreatitis, and tardive dyskinesia, a potentially disfiguring and disabling neurological disorder characterized by bizarre-looking abnormal movements.

So the media personalities had a feast promoting their religion, psychiatry, while Tom Cruise got hammered for criticizing psychiatry, and indirectly promoting his religion, Scientology.

No, I'm not a Scientologist.   Except when they occasionally say hello to me at conferences, I have hardly spoken to a Scientologist in more than thirty years.  But when I saw Tom's bravery come out from behind his marvelous smile, I wanted to help, and I made clear I wanted to defend him.  

Well, Tom, you said on TV things I've been saying in the media and in my books and scientific articles for three decades-but boy did you generate a lot more attention to the issues.   Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
ADD/ ADHD/ Meds
« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2005, 10:10:00 PM »
Barry Turner UK Medical and Legal Ethics Lecturer on Psuedoscience  

Tom Cruise is most certainly right.  Modern psychiatry is, and will remain a pseudoscience and the only caveat to that statement is that it may give it more credibility than it deserves.  

I speak as a medical ethicist and I congratulate Tom Cruise first for his courage to speak out on such issues and second on his obvious dedicated interest in the subject demonstrated by his knowledge of the issues.  The detractors especially those who support psychiatry because it has 'helped them' miss the point.  Tom Cruise is speaking about the subject, they are speaking about themselves.  The subject is this.  Psychiatry demands recognition within the healing arts and claims to be both a science and a branch of medicine.  It is neither for these reasons.  

For years psychiatry has propagated a myth that mental illness are biological and has even gone so far in may cases to deny that we are creatures of free will at all.  For years those who refuse to accept this dogma have asked then for evidence, not conjecture, to support this position.  It has not been forthcoming and the best they have ever been able to come up with are "maybes", "possiblies" and "we believe".  Not one piece of real evidence has ever been adduced and it places this branch of 'science' in the same category as that that searches for the Yeti and the Sasquatch, except of course that those who believe in Yetis and Sasquatches have never had access to the vast research funds that the biopsychiatry fraternity have.    

Medicine is bound by an ancient and laudable tradition of ethics in which primum non nocere (first do no harm) is the foundation stone that the doctines of benificence and non-maleficence are built on. Those ethics are abrogated and control has primacy over care, first do no harm but second do what you like.  Lying to patients in any branch of medicine is a breach of that ethic. Forcing medication is a breach of that ethic, denying the right of consent is a breach of those ethics and if those ethical conditions cannot be met then psychiatry does not belong in their world.  

Respect for autonomy is a pillar of medical ethics.  Autonomy is a myth in psychiatry and cannot be found in any psychiatric hospital or in any society where medication with dangerous drugs is a condition of liberty.  Justice is the fouth pillar of medical ethics and as with the others it is totally absent in psychiatry.  Where is the justice in telling patients that 'mental illness is for life' when that excludes them from many areas that those of us who are not 'mad' take for granted.  Where is the justice in lying to patients that mental illness means they must take drugs forever when real science has shown that is not the case. Where is the justice in detaining people against their will, without due process, on the spurious grounds that they are a risk to themselves.  Where is the justice in billions of dollars being spent on mood adapting drugs while those drugs that save lives 'cannot be afforded'  

Even if psychiatry was a 'science' it would belong in the field of what is now described as the most dishonest science of all, Biological Science.   This once noblest of sciences was originally a search for knowledge and truth.  It is now a search for dollars and when truth gets in the way of that it is buried.  Case after case is now coming to light where the bioscientists have lied to get research dollars, kudos and personal wealth.  Some of these scientists gone bad are now facing well deserved jail sentences. Manufactured mental illness have provided the biggest growth industry to these characters, puffing up egos and fattening wallets.  Real science and real people have suffered the cost of this with real illness neglected and real science ignored.

In my home town here the caring practice of psychiatric medicine began.  Drs Charlesworth and the Reverend Dr Willis both were local to here.  Dr Charlesworth who took the mentally ill out of the lunatic asylums and freak shows has his statue just a few hundred metres from where I live.  Dr Willis who treated King George the Third for his mania, now known to have been porphyria, has a ward at the hospital named after him.  I believe that if both Dr Charlesworth and Dr Willis could come back today they would either be gripped with rage or total sadness at what they began has now become.  

Biopsychiatry is the biggest pseudoscientific lie since eugenics, to which it is of course closely related,  A big hand to Tom Cruise and all who keep reminding us of this.    

Barry Turner
Lecturer in Medical Ethics and Law
University of Lincoln
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ADD/ ADHD/ Meds
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2005, 08:10:00 PM »
Do you agree with this position that post partum depression can be cured with exercise and vitamins??? Do you have a medical degree? Does Tom? I think not. The only person who can determine whether or not someone's depression can be cured with alternative methods other than prescription medications is a doctor. If Brooke had taken Tom's advice two years ago, she and/or her daughter might not be alive today. He was totally out of line to suggest that he knew what the best treatment for Brooke was. To voice his personal distaste for psychiatry is one thing, to suggest he knows what is best for Brooke is another. I was quite disapointed with him after that interview and had no idea he was that much of a crackpot.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
ADD/ ADHD/ Meds
« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2005, 08:40:00 PM »
I agree w/ you. I think that sometimes, diet and excercise changes, vitamis, change of setting or other less invasive measures can help w/ post-partum depression. And it's always best, except in cases of extreme emergency, to start out w/ the least invasive measures that hold any promise.

But that's a far cry from some actor proposing to give unasked for medical advice to someone in public. Of course Tom is a crack pot! Just read Dyanetics and consider that this joker views it as his Bible. Or read Bare Faced Massiah.

Freedom has a thousand charms to show, That slaves, howe'er contented, never know.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1840300051/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'> William Cowper, a British Christian poet & hymn writer (18th century)

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
ADD/ ADHD/ Meds
« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2005, 09:41:00 PM »
http://newsobserver.com/news/story/2646 ... 3217c.html
Excerpts:
By CINDY GEORGE, Staff Writer

TARBORO -- Prosecutors will paint a picture starting today of a young man who unjustifiably gunned down two innocent bystanders outside a football game.

But for people who watched Timothy Wayne Johnson and his younger brother grow up, that image doesn't square with the two fair-haired, look-alike siblings they remember.

Johnson is accused of killing two men at a tailgate party outside Carter-Finley Stadium in Raleigh on Sept. 4, when N.C. State University was
playing its opening game of the season. The victims were a Camp Lejeune Marine headed to Iraq and his friend, who was visiting from Chicago.

Jurors will assemble this morning in the Raleigh courtroom where Johnson will be tried on two counts of first-degree murder. Opening statements are scheduled for 9:30.

His attorneys concede that he was the shooter, although Johnson has pleaded not guilty on both counts. He faces the death penalty or life in prison without parole if convicted.

On Sept. 4, Johnson was months away from finishing his NCSU degree. He planned to become a psychologist. His younger brother, Tony, had come to Raleigh for the day.

Their mother, Ann Johnson, blames the "party lifestyle" for distracting all three of her sons from an upbringing that taught right and wrong.

"You always think what you could have done or said that would have changed how quickly they got off the track with drugs and alcohol," she said. "They wouldn't be in the position to have gotten in a fight that night that got out of hand."

After seven years of marriage and no children, the Johnsons adopted a 2-month-old boy and named him Thomas Mitchell Johnson Jr. They called him
Mitch.

Then, after nearly 20 years of marriage, Ann became pregnant with Timothy. Two years later, she was carrying Tony.

During Mitch's young adult years, his preteen brothers watched him fall into drugs.

"He was about 21 when he got into a bad crowd," Ann Johnson said of her eldest son. "Like with Tim and Tony, too, it's very tempting -- shiny, like tinsel."

Still, during an interview at their Tarboro home, Tommy Johnson, 61, and Ann, 58, said they kept a close watch over their younger two.

"They were not allowed to hang out. What we did, we did together as a family," Ann said. "You see where our computer is. We monitored their TV; we
monitored this computer and their friends."

Timothy and Tony did well in grade school but became restless in middle school, their mother said. Both had trouble sitting still and completing schoolwork.

"That age is a hard age, and then they hit those hormones and they're ADHD [attention deficit hyperactivity disorder]. You put those three together ...," Ann Johnson said.

Aiming to achieve
Timothy, the middle child, wanted to do well in school and asked for the drug Ritalin after seeing a commercial, his father said. Timothy's
improvement earned him student-of-the-year honors in the eighth grade.

Shortly afterward, he served as a General Assembly page. Among his mother's keepsakes is a photo of her son at the legislature.

"Tim was my easiest to manage. Tony and Mitchell were more likely to push," she said. "If you said no, Tim would go on back to his room and leave you
alone. If you had a rule, he didn't push the limits as much."

After Tarboro High, Timothy enrolled at NCSU. Two years later, Tony moved to Raleigh to live with his brother and attend Wake Technical Community
College. But after Tony didn't do well in school, he returned to Tarboro and worked in construction.

Felonies on record
Earlier this year, the brothers were sentenced for crimes related to an August 2004 home invasion and robbery in Raleigh, in which armed assailants broke in, restrained people with duct tape, then left with drugs, cash and guns.

Timothy, 23, pleaded guilty to robbery and burglary charges in that case and was sentenced to at least 10 years in prison. A jury found Tony, 21, guilty on robbery, kidnapping and burglary charges, for which he was sentenced to
at least 16 years.

Those violent felonies on their records make both eligible for the death penalty if they are convicted of first-degree murder.

Testimony and evidence in the home invasion revealed that Timothy Johnson sold drugs during his high school and college years. His murder trial defense lawyers admit he smoked marijuana before the shootings and had a gun stashed in his car.

On visits to Raleigh, Ann Johnson said she never saw drugs or weapons in the apartment her sons shared and can't wrap her mind around revelations that Timothy was a drug dealer or that her sons were involved in a revenge scheme to reclaim cocaine stolen from Timothy's apartment.

In the tailgate shootings, Timothy's lawyers say he acted in defense of his younger brother. Prosecutors paint Tony Johnson, whose murder trial is set for October, as the "instigator and catalyst" in the shootings of Kevin McCann and 2nd Lt. Brett Harman.

Rob Harman, Brett's older brother, sees wasted potential for all four young men.

"[Timothy Johnson] made horrible decisions, and Brett and Kevin were killed as a result," he said. "If Brett had died in Iraq, that would have been the path that he chose, and as painful as that would have been, it would have meant something."

Hard to comprehend
Friends and relatives of the Johnsons in Tarboro say it's hard to understand how two boys they watched grow up playing sports and going to church could, as young men, face responsibility for ending two lives -- and possibly death
themselves.

A week later, with Timothy and Tony Johnson in jail, their parents were surrounded by church members who prayed for them.

Ann Johnson knows that even if her sons are acquitted, they still have lengthy prison sentences for the home invasion.

Staff writer Cindy George can be reached at 829-4656 or [email protected].
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
ADD/ ADHD/ Meds
« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2005, 05:06:00 PM »
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/com ... t-opinions

Or
http://tinyurl.com/7uenc

September 25, 2005
A prescribed threat
Among the harshest critics of the child wonder-drug regimen? Think rock icons.

By Mary Eberstadt, MARY EBERSTADT is a research fellow at the Hoover Institution and author of "Home-Alone America," newly released in paperback by Penguin/Sentinel.

WHEN TOM CRUISE and his fellow Scientologists took a hammering earlier this year for their public opposition to psychiatric drugs, neither they nor their critics could have anticipated the releases in July and August of two weighty reports offering evidence that at least some psychiatric prescription-writing has run amok.

If these two reports by Columbia University's National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse, or CASA, have it right, more kids than ever have their fingers - and sometimes their noses - in somebody else's psychiatric prescription pill bottle.

The July report ("Under the Counter: The Diversion and Abuse of Controlled Prescription Drugs in the U.S.") estimates that while self-reported use of prescription drugs by people of all ages nearly doubled between 1992 and 2003, abuse by teenagers during those years tripled.

Similar increases appear in the August report, "National Survey of American Attitudes on Substance Abuse X: Teens and Parents." Between April 2004 and June 2005, for example, "the percentage of teens who know a friend or classmate who has abused prescription drugs jumped 86%."

In his introduction to the July report, CASA Chairman and President Joseph A. Califano Jr. zeroes in on the problem: "Particularly alarming is the 212% increase from 1992 to 2003 in the number of 12- to 17-year-olds abusing controlled prescription drugs, and the number of teens trying these drugs for the first time."

Nor does Califano sugarcoat the question of just how close to home the problem hits: "The explosion in the prescription of addictive opioids, depressants and stimulants has, for many children, made the medicine cabinet a greater temptation and threat than the illegal street drug dealer, as some parents have become unwitting and passive pushers."

At a time when many doctors, teachers and parents swear by the beneficial effects of prescription stimulants for minors, words as unsparing as
Califano's are likely to be dismissed as alarmist.

But these reports are not the only evidence of the harm done by these drugs to at least some kids. If we look at what kids say, sing and report about psychiatric medications, we learn that among the harshest critics of the child wonder-drug regimen are some of its intended beneficiaries and graduates.

Consider two music icons. The late grunge-rock guru Kurt Cobain appears in retrospect as a kind of anti-poster boy for child stimulants. Prescribed Ritalin from the age of 7, Cobain believed that the drug led to his later abuse of related substances. (He committed suicide by shotgun in 1994.)

Cobain's widow, Courtney Love, put the connection this way to biographer Charles R. Cross: "Kurt's own opinion, as he later told her, was that the
drug was significant. Courtney, who also was prescribed Ritalin as a child, said: 'When you're a kid and you get this drug that makes you feel that [euphoric] feeling, where else are you going to turn when you're an adult?'

Marshall Mathers, a.k.a. bad-boy rap superstar Eminem, is another prominent self-perceived child victim of the label-and-medicate momentum. In an
article in Rolling Stone magazine, Howard Stern said that Eminem told him that his mother "misdiagnosed him with attention deficit disorder. 'My mother said I was a hyper kid, and I wasn't,' he said. 'She put me on Ritalin.' " One telling Eminem hit called "Cleaning Out My Closet" includes the lyric, "My whole life I was made to believe I was sick when I wasn't."

It seems almost too perverse to be true: Cobain's and Eminem's fans might get a stronger anti-stimulant message from their icons' examples than from their own parents, teachers and doctors.

Criticism of the child-drug phenomenon also comes from writers who self-identify as members of "the Ritalin generation." One is Elizabeth Wurtzel, author of the books "Prozac Nation" and "More, Now, Again." The latter detailed her harrowing descent into Ritalin addiction after a
well-meaning doctor prescribed the drug to help her "focus" on writing.

Advocates of psychiatric medication for children often argue, and passionately, that these drugs alleviate the suffering of many children and
families. But if that positive experience is to be a legitimate test, so too should the negative feelings and experiences of others be acknowledged.

"These [stimulants] are very safe medications," a child psychiatrist at Harvard Medical School told a reporter in the wake of the July CASA report.
"They have been used for 70 years, and we haven't had terrible catastrophes."

Yet it doesn't take a Scientologist to wonder whether "terrible catastrophe" is the most accurate measurement.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ADD/ ADHD/ Meds
« Reply #66 on: September 27, 2005, 12:16:00 AM »
On 2005-09-26 14:06:00, Deborah wrote:

"http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-eberstadt25sep25,0,3602544.story?coll=la-news-comment-opinions
self-reported use of prescription drugs by people of all ages nearly doubled between 1992 and 2003, abuse by teenagers during those years tripled.

Darn, this whole time I thought it was the introduction, then proliferation of crystal meth.

If it is indeed Ritalin, I am tossing my DVD copy
of "Salton Sea"

Offline RN on Board

• View Profile
ADD/ ADHD/ Meds
« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2005, 11:21:00 AM »
There are some who claim to have the symptoms of ADD and ADHD just to get the amphetamines for use as recreational drugs. Too many children are being given speed for no reason. It's outrageous.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ADD/ ADHD/ Meds
« Reply #68 on: September 27, 2005, 02:47:00 PM »
On 2005-09-27 08:21:00, RN on Board wrote:

"There are some who claim to have the symptoms of ADD and ADHD just to get the amphetamines for use as recreational drugs. Too many children are being given speed for no reason. It's outrageous."

If a person speeds on speed I heard then they do not have ADD or ADHD.

If they slow down, then they do.

Is this correct?

If so, then why can't the medical people, and the teacher's as well as the parent's note this and inform the doctor?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ADD/ ADHD/ Meds
« Reply #69 on: September 27, 2005, 04:34:00 PM »
Ritalin is a street drug.

Kids on Ritalin have died.

Is it really that important to feed your kid a drug to make them a more "efficient" kid?

This is social engineering at it's worse.

God help America's youth ... being drugged into compliance with the demands and expectations of their parents and teachers.

LEAVE NO CHILD BEHIND?  Shit, it should be LEAVE NO CHILD UNMEDICATED.

I am disgusted!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ADD/ ADHD/ Meds
« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2005, 05:54:00 PM »
On 2005-09-27 13:34:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Ritalin is a street drug.

Huh?

Where you recently disgusted or 70 years ago when it came on the market?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ADD/ ADHD/ Meds
« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2005, 06:13:00 PM »
On 2005-09-27 14:54:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2005-09-27 13:34:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Ritalin is a street drug.

Huh?

Where you recently disgusted or 70 years ago when it came on the market?"

Researchers from the Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt have found that anti-psychotic medications are being prescribed at an alarming rate for Tennessee children with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, or ADHD. The use of anti-psychotic drugs has more than doubled since 1996, and today children are not only being dosed with Ritalin -- a powerful narcotic drug -- but now anti-psychotic drugs to mask other symptoms related to behavioral disorders.
Every time I write about this subject, I can't help but be outraged at the fact that we are a nation dosing our children with powerful narcotics in order to alter their brain chemistry rather than teaching them how to avoid the foods that cause these behavioral disorders in the first place. We don't teach our children how to eat right, nor do we teach our parents how to teach good dietary habits to their own children. Instead, we turn our children into literal druggies by forcing them onto extremely dangerous narcotic and anti-psychotic drugs.

In this nation, there appears to be a drug for every problem out there, including undesirable behavior on the part of children. In reality, ADHD is not a behavioral disorder, nor is it some sort of mysterious chemical imbalance in the brain. It is simply the natural effect of pursuing a diet that is very high in refined carbohydrates and very low in optimum nutrition.

This dietary pattern almost perfectly describes the pattern pursued by virtually all children in the United States. They load up on high-sugar breakfast cereals, soft drinks, candy bars, sweets, cookies, and desserts, and then, just in case they don't have enough sugar in their system already, when they go to school they get rewarded with more candy and desserts, and they even have the opportunity to purchase soft drinks (see related ebook on soft drinks) and candy bars from vending machines that are actually supported and promoted by the school bureaucrats.

So on one hand, we have public schools deriving funding from the sale of soft drinks and candy that promote ADHD in children, and then on the other hand, instead of addressing this problem at its source, we have a fast-expanding collection of mental health professionals who are increasingly putting children on powerful narcotic drugs in order to mask the symptoms caused by the widespread consumption of sugars and processed foods.

The victims in all of this are, of course, the children themselves, who end up being unable to learn as well as they normally could, since their brains have been dulled by multiple prescription drugs -- and who end up going through the public school system with increased risk for obesity, diabetes and other diseases promoted by the consumption of food ingredients like white flour or refined white sugar.

And people wonder why we have such high rates of obesity, diabetes, and drug dependency in our adult population. It's not mystery -- just look at the children we're raising in this country. We're raising yet another generation of drug-addicted, chronically diseased, overweight, brain-numbed zombies -- and proudly declaring it "public education."

see

http://www.ritalindeath.com

BUYER BEWARE .... RITALIN KILLS

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ADD/ ADHD/ Meds
« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2005, 06:15:00 PM »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ADD/ ADHD/ Meds
« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2005, 06:18:00 PM »
Each family should just say no
to medication therapy, if they
do not want it.

Are these people saying no?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ADD/ ADHD/ Meds
« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2005, 06:19:00 PM »
On 2005-09-27 15:15:00, Anonymous wrote:

""

Matthew (pictured above) died at age 14
The death certificate says it was due to the use of Ritalin used for ADHD.

The number of Childrens' Deaths caused from ADD & ADHD drugs is staggering.  Here is the death toll:

http://ritalindeath.com/ADHD-Drug-Deaths.htm