Author Topic: Unita Academy, Wellsville, UT  (Read 21366 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Unita Academy, Wellsville, UT
« on: February 26, 2008, 02:25:33 PM »
Does anyone out there have any experience with Uinta Academy.  It's only for girls and seems warm and fuzzy but I have concerns.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Unita Academy, Wellsville, UT
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 09:27:14 PM »
It is warm and fuzzy...good people...not punitive...and really more just a place for safe passage.  They don't limit contact with parents and are pretty much an open book.BWMAW

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 10:44:28 PM »
What exactly do you know about the place?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 11:19:20 PM »
I know it's on the small side w/ about 35-40 girls, not really a level system altho there are points to earn privs, students get plan and prepare meals w/ supervision and dietary input, & that the off campus activities and trips are not based on being a "3 or a 4" as would be the deal w/ other homes.  Seems kind of Stepford wife tho' since the girls I've met seem very preppie and I don't know how someone outside that norm would like it.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 11:37:40 PM »
Can they leave anytime they want to? Can they report incidents of abuse to the police? Are they forced to participate in therapy sessions?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 12:48:34 AM »
You may investigate by asking around in this myspace group

According to the postings they do have levels and they have made the more strict along the way. They have moved the program but they have a transition house on the old campus, which explains why they are talking about an east and a west campus.

Offline lorrispickelmire

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 08:23:00 PM »
From reading through what the girls say on the myspace group, this one appears to be fairly harmless, but it bears some watching as they all do because sometimes they start for the right reasons and then greed takes over and pretty soon they are just another moneygrubbing torture pit.
quot;It will be found an unjust and unwise jealousy to deprive a man of his natural liberty upon the supposition he may abuse it.\"
                                        George Washington

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 01:06:15 AM »
Promise a lot but in the end they don't live up to their "highly ethical", "we'll REALLY work with you" P.R.  Very good at expecting the girls to act responsibly but man if they think you're too much trouble and unlikable don't plan on them helping transition you or letting your parents make arrangements.  It's like, get out and get out now.  And it's funny how 2 people can have the same behaviors but only one of them is considered not working the program.  Your reports look good and are positive for months and then, in one fell swoop, they unload all sorts of C*** in one to justify their decisions. Strangely enuf it never comes up in therapy either. Jeff talks a great sales pitch but he's not very good at practicing what her preaches and Kristi is like Darth Vader--the staff quakes in fear around her and she is probably the final decision maker  on most stuff.  Unfortunately, if she's not around nothing gets done like even doctor's appt.   Someone should send her to a basic management principles class.  But then, Uinta's not creepy or harsh and the staff is generally good.  They let the girls do a lot more than other places and don't make you feel singled out and worthless and it's not really punitive.  In the end the head guys were just disappointing as people.  I guess I did learn something there.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 03:19:12 AM »
I have googled them and found our own Fornits Wiki page about the place. The only odd thing is that they urge the families to live like they are on the facility when their child is on homevisit.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 10:53:49 PM »
Tinktonk, looks like your still trying to find yourself and still want to blame.  I know for a fact that this program scholorships many girl and their families.  I also know that sometime parents have to take the girls out abruptly for a myriad of reasons.  I'm so thankful that the program staff are keeping ALL of the girls there safe by removing those that are aggressive and disruptive.  It's not any programs responsibility to make you change, only provide the opportunity to do so.  The irony here is it appears you were one of those that had to leave, didn't want to be there, but want to blame the program and people for that.  Where's the personal responsibility.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 11:01:58 PM »
Quote from: "UA mom"
Tinktonk, looks like your still trying to find yourself and still want to blame.  I know for a fact that this program scholorships many girl and their families.  I also know that sometime parents have to take the girls out abruptly for a myriad of reasons.  I'm so thankful that the program staff are keeping ALL of the girls there safe by removing those that are aggressive and disruptive.  It's not any programs responsibility to make you change, only provide the opportunity to do so.  The irony here is it appears you were one of those that had to leave, didn't want to be there, but want to blame the program and people for that.  Where's the personal responsibility.

Uh, she's a kid? She's not supposed to have "personal responsibility"? You as a mother are supposed to have personal responsibility. You did such a piss-poor job raising your kid that she needed full time therapeutic care. Where’s your personal responsibility?

What’s with the parents and individuals involved with these places all being so crazy? This parent proves the need to keep an eye on this place.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 11:30:03 PM »
I think UA mom is the one who is deluding herself.  Again, there is LOTS of abnormal, violent behavior w/ girls throwing plates, setting fires.  It just really involves who is "likable".  Just wait until your child comes home.  There will be a honeymoon stage and everything seems great and then 6 months or so pass and welcome back conflict.  Just look at My Space or Facebook to see how well some of these success stories are doing.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 01:34:36 PM »
Our daughter was there for 15 months, so have some personal experience with this facility.  Any specific questions?

Offline maruska

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 05:51:28 PM »
What was your experience with this facility?
How old is your daughter?
What was her experience?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 08:48:58 PM »
Our daughter was 15-16 when she was there.  Physically, it is a very nice facility.  We felt that the school program was really a weakness, as basically it is just an on line curriculum with people there supervising.  Our daughter had some extra needs that weren't addressed very well.  Every thing is billed as "extra" if you request anything beyond the basic program.  And for our daughter, she needed more than just an on line school program.  The administration came across in quite a different way than what was truly accurate.  We felt that the director emphasized that he took a personal interest in each girl and in reality, we did not see this.  Our daughter actually graduated from this program.  There was no follow up program at all, and when we asked for additional help for her, it was prohibitively expensive and impractical.  I think that it is important to find a program that is a good fit for each girl, and this was not a great fit in our daughter's circumstance.  Hope this is helpful.