Author Topic: Unita Academy, Wellsville, UT  (Read 21698 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Unita Academy, Wellsville, UT
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2009, 11:09:18 PM »
Actually, this sounds exactly like us.  Our phone therapy sessions showed real progress, our on site visits at Uinta were great.  We had our funny, connected daughter back who wanted to hang around with us, who listened and didn't blow up or throw things, a person whom we could listen to.  Our home visit was great our daughter seemed to be interested in things and people.  She was helpful without being a suck-up.  Even when she came home after being asked to leave(We never told her the real story, we just stated that we and Uinta thought she was ready to leave and get ready for the next phase of her life.  We didn't want her to add another failure and ego destroyer to her life), she was great for several months.  People were amazed.Then things regressed.  Behavior at school deteriorated, defiance came back, destructive behavior to herself and others returned, etc.  So, does it work?  Not in her case.  I wish we had saved our money and put it into a trust fund for her support because at this point I doubt that she will ever be able to hold a job for any length of time.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    • Secret Prisons for Teens
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2009, 02:58:24 AM »
ToniB:

Because she is female she will change her ways when she is 18-20 years old, sometime delayed if she has missed the rite of passage doing the wrong things while being a teenager. It is statistically proven by our department of corrections which house the convicted teenagers having done more serious things like armed assault etc. which demands more than just sending them to Continuation schools.

Boys are slower to get it. They often remain troubled to about age 25 - 29. We have a lot who have served jailtime etc. who suddenly turn into contributing citizens around this age.

Of course some never get it but they are few and most are discovered to have a hidden illness or handicap which have not been discovered. Those who are immigrants can be paid 20,000 dollars (100,000 DKK) to leave Denmark permanent starting January 1, 2010. However it is voluntary.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
way off topic...but...
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2009, 03:33:18 AM »
Quote from: "Oscar"
Those who are immigrants can be paid 20,000 dollars (100,000 DKK) to leave Denmark permanent starting January 1, 2010. However it is voluntary.
Seriously? So, if I immigrate to Denmark and then behave badly enough to be asked to leave, I can pick up a pay cheque on my way out?
Your countrymen are an incredibly mannered people.

Offline the_bergers3

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2010, 12:34:38 AM »
i was a student at uinta in 2003 to 2004 i would love to know where some of you get your "facts" the staff there have been nothing but respectful, jeff had individual attention with all of us as a matter of fact he keeps up with you if you make the effort to, my son is named after him that's how big of a difference he made in my life, Jeff, Becky and the staff changed my life from dangerous and self destructive to helping me become a productive member of society. The staff would encourage you to be the best you could be but on a very relatable side, they were able to use ti have many wonderful memories of Uinta and the horses and girls. i graduated in 2004 before the transition program or east and west campus was started but i go back for yearly visits to catch up with Jeff and becky and see how the program has changed, although it has grown there is no difference in how jeff and becky give each girl individual attention and show respect for everyone in the house. they look out for your best interest. My parents live in PA and i know it was hard for them to send me so far away but in the end it made a world of difference knowing they couldn't just drive up and buy into my manipulation  of trying to come home, as yes you do get homesick and frequently think man if i could just go home and relax,but you work threw it and in the end it helps to just deal and learn that you can't manipulate every situation

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2010, 10:14:25 PM »
Good to hear it was positive for you
I was wondering as well as being able to call family did you get to call any school friends or wider relatives?
If you could call friends etc did staff listen to the calls or were you free to make them unmonitored?
Could you write to anyone you wanted or email them?
How often did the average student get to go off campus on an outing?
Were you ever allowed to go for a walk around the neighbourhood during freetime?
Were any academic credits transferable to a regular public school?
Were there any opportunities to play sports against other girls schools or do co curricular activities like chess or play an instrument?
Were there any group therapy sessions? If so was there the option to not share on any particular day?
Were you able to view your therapists notes?
If medication was involved did you get any input into its use or did they just make you take it?
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Joester

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2010, 08:25:50 PM »
Wow, there's so many things I have to say about Uinta. Good and Bad.

First I'll start by saying I'm 22 years old, I live in Marin County CA and I have been to 5 different programs. I got sent away at 13 and came home 3 months before I turned 18.  
Sagewalk, a wilderness program in OR,
New Haven an all girls RTC in UT, similar to Uinta but has been around MUCH longer :tup:
Nawa Academy, a Co-ed boarding school for non-traditional learners located in Northern CA, THEY ARE AMAZING CHECK THEM OUT!!! (no seriously, check them out, http://http://nawaacademy.org/) :tup:  :tup:  :tup:  :tup:  :nods:
Uinta Academy, I was there 14 months.
and Coronado Academy, a co-ed therapudic boarding school in Costa Rica, which shut down in 2004, they were wonderful too!.

But back to Uinta. Like I said I really liked it at first. Very small program, expanding was a given from the beginning. Uinta is still a buisness and expanding your buissness= more $$$$ . I did learn alot there so don't get me wrong. Apparently I have amazing people skills now,(I don't see it, but that's another story)  I can accept "no" and accept feedback and work on the problem.

The "skills" I got out of the program are amazing, I couldn't have thanked Jeff and Becky more, but some of the stuff I experienced there... all I can say is  "Wow! Really?!" For Example: We got in trouble for buying HEINZ Ketchup[/u] because John Kerry owned the ketchup plant, we were banned from Heinz from that point on, HUNTS ONLY! I think if I remember clearly we "lost points" & privledges. I'm sorry but just because you're a Republican does not mean you have to throw a fit about the ketchup!! ketchup is ketchup!!  :fuckoff:
We were having the horses' hooves trimmed and 'my' horse was a bit nervous, (we had gotten her from an auction in Idaho I doubt anyone had put any real training into her) she started shifting around a bit and was obviously stressed and when it came time to trim one of her front hooves and she was still moving, Jeff kicked her SO hard in the gut that I felt like I could feel it in my stomach! Horses are big animals and you have to be a bit more rough with them then say a dog or a cat, but I've also been working with horses since I was about 6 and I have NEVER EVER seen someone treat a horse like I had seen that day. ::deadhorse::

We ate nothing but crap food there :spam: , I gained 60 lbs at Uinta, and when I saw a doctor when I left Uinta they said I had pre-diabetes.... uhhh??? I started there at maybe 160lbs. I know I wasn't tiny, I'll be the first to admit that. At Nawa (the program I told you about above), I did all kinds of stuff like rock climbing, swift water rescue, cross country, hiking, you name a physical activity, we did it there, so I may have been kind of "big" going into Uinta but I wasn't a damn blimp! When I got out, I was 220lbs! Barely 17 years old and 220lbs?!?! AND A PREDIABETIC?!?! In 14 months?!?! WOW!  ::OMG:: oh and  I know it was supposted to be a little "fun joke" at the time, but Jeff gave me the nickname "Garbage disposal", so if one of the other girls couldn't finish her meal, "well hand it over to Garbage disposal! she'll finish it for you" Now that I think about it, that's really horrible but oh so true. :waaaa:

All the experiences I shared with you were all stupid right?? So if we're there to learn "values" or "get better" with our self esteem issues, body issues, anger problems etc., should we really be called mean nicknames, punnished for our political views, watch frustrated adults get mad at horses when they should clearly be joining us in our anger managment sessions, and making us in to future diabetic research polls that you see on the evening news.??? No. So I don't know how it is  there now adays but just know that some of their thinking there is kind of.... what's the term Jeff used... oh, "irrational".

In any case, Uinta along with EVERY OTHER PROGRAM is going to be good for some people and bad or useless for others. It's always going to be hit and miss. Your daughter has to want to change. Most of the girls I was there with would tell the staff and therapists exactly what they wanted to hear but once those girls got home, they were back out there doing coke and getting knocked up at 18 years old :dose:  (I still talk to 90% of the kids I met in my programs that's how I know this info). I didn't love Uinta enough to name my first child after one of the program directors, infact, that's just creepy and kind of gross(no offense) but I didn't hate Uinta, It did many things I may not have done otherwise.

UINTA NOR ANY OTHER PROGRAM IS GOING TO "CURE"  YOUR DAUGHTER, SO IF THAT'S WHAT YOU'RE LOOKING FOR, YOUR EXPECTATIONS ARE TOO HIGH.

On a 10 star rating 10 being the highest, I would give Uinta a 6. Not good and not bad. Good luck parents :shamrock: . I hope you find what you're looking for.

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2010, 07:30:25 AM »
Thanks for posting Joester. Im sorry that they were such asses to you. Any professional or even decent human being I think would agree that it is not professional, helpful or kind to call anyone names or make personal remarks nor is it OK to hurt defenceless animals. So your complaints are not stupid at all. I was wondering if you would mind filling us in on the specifics of the program.
Was mail monitored? Under what circumstances?
Under what circumstances could you use the phone?
was there a level system. Was it similar to other programs that you attended?
What about schooling?
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Joester

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2010, 12:35:41 PM »
Quote from: "Oz girl"
I was wondering if you would mind filling us in on the specifics of the program.
Was mail monitored? Under what circumstances?
Under what circumstances could you use the phone?
was there a level system. Was it similar to other programs that you attended?
What about schooling?

When I was there, mail was monitored, but only to a point. Letters & packages had to be opened in front of the staff member that is passing out the mail. If a girl got a package the staff would have to make sure that the content being recieved was check thoroughly. I got to use the phone, but to be completly honest with you I don't remember how often. I do remember that I was only allowed to call certain people and I remember wanting to call my mom more then I was allowed to. There was a level system and it was pretty easy to get from one level to the next if you are truley motivated. Uinta was very similar to my other RTC in Utah called New Haven School. Infact I went to New Haven before Uinta and suggested that our nightly group meetings be called "Community" just like at New Haven. If they still call it that, I don't know. However when I first got to Uinta I was not drug tested or put on a manditory "saftey" level. (http://http://www.newhavenrtc.com/treatment-levelsystem.php)

As far as the schooling goes. I actually liked the BYU independent study program. I don't know why. I just really enjoyed it.

Hope that helped a bit.

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2010, 01:54:28 AM »
Thanks Joelene. It is always helpful when someone shares what they know. Can i ask a few more questions?
Were you given access to your therapists notes if you wanted?
If there was group therapy were you able to opt out of sharing if you wanted to?
What about medication? Did you get any input?
You mention new haven. Were any of the staff ex New Haven staff?

Offline momof4

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2010, 06:16:28 PM »
Bear with me on this one, this is going to be a long one.  My reasons for posting this are varied.  Probably the biggest one is that I hope this might be an avenue to let other parents out there know about our experience with Uinta Academy of Wellsville, Utah.  

As a background our youngest has suffered from extreme panic/anxiety disorder for 5+ years.  After exhausting every available option, we made the difficult decision to place her at Uinta.  The center was recommended to us by an educational consultant.  We did not insurance to cover any of it.  While we had some positive outcome from her time at Uinta, we also endured a lot of frustration and heartbreak at how we were treated by staff.  Bottom line, L.’s therapist, looking for a reason for L.’s issues, decided that I must have anger management issues and therefore was the reason for L.’s disorder.  I should disclose that L., in an attempt to be able to come home, fabricated to her therapist that she needed to leave treatment so that I could get treatment for anger issues.  L. later told her therapist that she had made it all up in a mis-guided attempt to make us pull her out of treatment.  It was too late, the ink had been set.  Sue’s (Sue Hoffman–L.’s primary therapist at Uinta) mind was made up, ‘bad kid-bad mom’.  I should say that I am like most moms, I advocate for my children.  And, when I feel that someone is trying to prevent me from seeing/having contact with my child, I am going to question it and be tenacious in my quest to protect my child.  Our perception was that this was interpreted as a bad thing by Sue and the staff at Uinta–they felt we were too controlling.  I should also say that during the almost 9 months L. was in Utah, we were granted permission to see her 3 times, she was 12 years old!  Incidentally, after she came home from Uinta, she has received a diagnosis of Panic/Anxiety Disorder--Separation Anxiety, meaning that she never went thru separation anxiety as a toddler, therefore it came on at a later time and was that much more severe....Uinta's approach to cut off almost all contact with our daughter, was the worst thing for her.  Live and learn.

A difficult part for me has been that someone who didn’t know me (nor took anytime to get to know who I was) decided who they thought I was and it was a very ugly depiction. In an ‘exit interview’ with one of our local providers, Sue even went so far as to tell him that she felt I was a ‘potential barrier to L.’s treatment’ and that I appeared to have issues that needed to be investigated.  I was devastated.  I’m still trying to get over that one.

After L. came home, we felt we needed to send a letter to Jeff Simpson.  Jeff and his wife Becky, established Uinta.  The following is excerpts from that letter which described some of our experience with Uinta.  While we know that he received the letter, we never received a response from Jeff, Becky, or Sue.  Here goes....

Dear Jeff:

We wanted to thank you and Becky for establishing Uinta and offering a spot for L. to be there.  In all of our interactions with you, we have always walked away feeling your desire to help make a real difference in the lives of the girls that find their way to Uinta .  It’s very apparent that it isn’t just a job for you, it’s a passion.  L., and our family have benefitted greatly from her time at Uinta.  

Other factors for bringing L. home, were our increasing unease with what we felt was lack of access to L. as well as our perceived direction of where L.’s treatment might be going.  We understand that our perceptions might be mis-perceptions, but they were our perceptions that we simply could not ‘shake’.  Finally, we could not ignore our parental instinct and we made the difficult decision to bring her home.

For the last several weeks we have struggled with whether to voice our concerns to you, and we finally decided to share with you some things that we experienced while L. was at Uinta.  To preface all of this, we want to state that we feel Sue worked extremely well with L. and so we repeatedly tried to set our own misgivings and concerns aside in the interest of our daughter’s treatment.

From the very beginning, we had an undefined uneasiness about our interactions with Sue.  We felt like she was constantly trying to ‘put us in our place’ and establish that she was in control of our daughter and that she didn’t really need or want our input.  Again, we will readily admit that this is our perception and that it might be a mis-perception, but we are relaying how we felt, not just once, but repeatedly.  Reasons why we felt this way?  The examples are varied.  One simple one was Sue not turning her cell phone off (or even turning it to vibrate) during our family therapy sessions.  We often felt that she was distracted by her cell phone, checking e-mail, etc. during our family therapy sessions.  We want to be clear that this was not just once, it went off almost every session.  One session we could even tell that she was texting during our session.  Incidentally this was a very important session where we were telling L. she was coming home–L. when hearing the news, stated ‘oh you all think I’m good enough to go home?’  Because Sue was busy texting someone else, she made no response to this statement.  We ended up explaining to L. that we felt she had worked very hard and that she would need to continue treatment when she was at home.  Sue never responded to this, and as her therapist, we certainly could have used her direction and at least assistance in this conversation with L..  In our years of working with therapists, we had never experienced this and we felt that it showed a lack of respect to our limited family therapy time.  Again, please understand that we are not completely dense and selfish to not realize that there are emergencies that may come up from time to time.   However, we also know that Uinta has a wonderfully trained staff of family teachers that are always available.  We were just frustrated at our perceived lack of her respect to L. and our family therapy time by the fact that her cell phone was not silenced during our sessions.  After bringing L. home, she told us that it bothered her that Sue would take phone calls from her daughter during their sessions, or that she would check e-mail, etc., during their therapy time.  We wonder how it would have been perceived if we had our cell phones going off and were texting others during our family therapy sessions.  My guess is that Sue would not have looked on it too favorably and that she might have felt we weren’t fully engaged in our family therapy.

Another ongoing issue was trying to schedule visits with L..  One of our main concerns when we made the decision to send L. to Uinta was whether or not we would be able to have regular visits with L..  Looking back at our notes of our initial phone conversation with you and Becky,  we noted that you said we would be able to see her approximately every 6-7 weeks.  We always understood that any of these visits were subject to last minute cancellation if L. had not earned the privilege.  Our frustration was getting even the ok to plan a visit.  

We don’t know how it works with other parents and therapists, but we (perhaps wrongly) expected that after 1 visit was complete, the therapist would say, ok that visit went well, next visit could be <date>, why don’t you plan for that, and we will decide the week of if your daughter has earned it.  That never happened.  Without going into the he said/she said scenarios of how each visit was scheduled, suffice it to say that we were always left feeling like we had no say in when we could and could not see our daughter.  Better communication on this issue would have greatly relieved a lot of our family’s stress. Instead, we often used valuable family therapy time discussing logistics of visits.  If a clearer level of written communication had existed in this area, we could have better used that time with L. on actual therapy issues.

That brings us to another nagging concern that we could never shake.  E-mail communication, and our perception (or again readily admitted possible mis-perception) that Sue never completely read our e-mails.  Please understand that we tried to keep e-mail to a minimum.  We understood Sue’s time constraints, and we didn’t want to be parents that filled the in-box.  However, from the beginning we were told (at parent weekend) that e-mail was the best way to communicate–if we had questions or concerns we should send an e-mail.  For example as to why we felt they weren’t fully read, when we would send an e-mail with 3 questions, we might receive an answer back to 1 of them.  We would re-send and this would go back and forth.  We also had it more than once that we would send something, have no response, and then the following week in family therapy we would bring the concern up and to us it always felt like she hadn’t read it, or at the most skimmed it and put it aside.  Sometimes it wasn’t questions, it might have been input and observations that we felt important to L.’s ongoing therapy–we don’t think these type of e-mails ever received a response, or even a one line acknowledgment to the extent of ‘thanks for the information’.  Sometimes we wondered if she had even received our e-mail (maybe a simple setting on the e-mail system that sends out auto receipt acknowledgments??)  

When L. hit her 6 month mark we sent a detailed e-mail asking if it was possible to have a phone conference with the entire treatment team and we listed the things we wanted to discuss.  We also listed several things that we would like input from the academic team on.   The following week when we finally discussed the e-mail, it came across to us repeatedly during our conversation that it was very possible Sue had not fully read the e-mail.  For instance, she asked us what information we wanted from the academic team–this had been detailed in the e-mail.  At one point she said to us, it sounds like maybe it would be a good idea to have a phone conference with the treatment team, would you be ok with doing that?  To this we responded yes, we would be in to that, that is why we asked for it in our original e-mail.  It was during this conversation that we were told our level of reaction to receiving no response from her was excessive.  Sue told us she was very busy working with girls and that she often didn’t have time to respond to parents, and finally that we needed to understand that Uinta was better at communication than other facilities so we should be glad that there was the level of communication that there was.   More than once we expressed to Sue that at times we felt like we had no idea what was going on with L. and her treatment.  Sue always defensively responded ‘that’s not true, you know what is going on with her’, invalidating our feelings.  

When Sue told us she often didn’t have time to respond to parents and that essentially that is just how it was, we were disheartened and walked away with the perception (again our possible mis-perception) that Sue did not really need or want us involved in L.’s treatment.  This was very concerning to us. We did not want L. to perceive that we didn’t want to be involved in her treatment, or that we had asked to have limited contact with her.  We realize that some might view this as a control issue, we view it as wanting to be involved in our 12 year old’s life and treatment and our desire to continue to build a healthy relationship with her as she grows up.  Finally, it was sad when Jane went to bring L. home and Sue had nothing to say, not even good-bye.  Jane had told her and Kristi ahead of time when she would be arriving.  When Jane arrived, no one was available (which is understandable–it was the middle of the day).  When Sue later arrived at the house, she walked into the room, made one statement, handed Jane L.’s transcript and walked away.  They never saw her again.  The discharge summary that we had asked be prepared and ready to go wasn’t ready, nor did Sue explain when it would be ready or even acknowledge that it wasn’t ready to go with L..  Before she and L. left, Jane ended up asking Kristi when it would be ready.  We received it a few days later, luckily in time before our first scheduled appointment with L.’s local treatment providers.

We don’t know how you will interpret or take this letter.  We hope that you will see it for what it is intended to be, a relaying of parents’ observations and concerns and how maybe things can be improved for others.  It is not intended as criticism. Again, we appreciate all that was done for L. while at Uinta.  After several years of therapy, L. had given up and nothing we could do would get her to engage in therapy and trying again.  Now, she knows that she can feel good and is willing to work at it.  That is a blessing.

Thank you again,

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: Uinta Academy, Wellsville, UT
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2010, 03:57:13 PM »
Quote from: "momof4"
Bear with me on this one, this is going to be a long one.  My reasons for posting this are varied.  Probably the biggest one is that I hope this might be an avenue to let other parents out there know about our experience with Uinta Academy of Wellsville, Utah.  

As a background our youngest has suffered from extreme panic/anxiety disorder for 5+ years.  After exhausting every available option, we made the difficult decision to place her at Uinta.  The center was recommended to us by an educational consultant.  We did not insurance to cover any of it.  While we had some positive outcome from her time at Uinta, we also endured a lot of frustration and heartbreak at how we were treated by staff.  Bottom line, L.’s therapist, looking for a reason for L.’s issues, decided that I must have anger management issues and therefore was the reason for L.’s disorder.  I should disclose that L., in an attempt to be able to come home, fabricated to her therapist that she needed to leave treatment so that I could get treatment for anger issues.  L. later told her therapist that she had made it all up in a mis-guided attempt to make us pull her out of treatment.  It was too late, the ink had been set.  Sue’s (Sue Hoffman–L.’s primary therapist at Uinta) mind was made up, ‘bad kid-bad mom’.  I should say that I am like most moms, I advocate for my children.  And, when I feel that someone is trying to prevent me from seeing/having contact with my child, I am going to question it and be tenacious in my quest to protect my child.  Our perception was that this was interpreted as a bad thing by Sue and the staff at Uinta–they felt we were too controlling.  I should also say that during the almost 9 months L. was in Utah, we were granted permission to see her 3 times, she was 12 years old!  Incidentally, after she came home from Uinta, she has received a diagnosis of Panic/Anxiety Disorder--Separation Anxiety, meaning that she never went thru separation anxiety as a toddler, therefore it came on at a later time and was that much more severe....Uinta's approach to cut off almost all contact with our daughter, was the worst thing for her.  Live and learn.

A difficult part for me has been that someone who didn’t know me (nor took anytime to get to know who I was) decided who they thought I was and it was a very ugly depiction. In an ‘exit interview’ with one of our local providers, Sue even went so far as to tell him that she felt I was a ‘potential barrier to L.’s treatment’ and that I appeared to have issues that needed to be investigated.  I was devastated.  I’m still trying to get over that one.

After L. came home, we felt we needed to send a letter to Jeff Simpson.  Jeff and his wife Becky, established Uinta.  The following is excerpts from that letter which described some of our experience with Uinta.  While we know that he received the letter, we never received a response from Jeff, Becky, or Sue.  Here goes....

Dear Jeff:

We wanted to thank you and Becky for establishing Uinta and offering a spot for L. to be there.  In all of our interactions with you, we have always walked away feeling your desire to help make a real difference in the lives of the girls that find their way to Uinta .  It’s very apparent that it isn’t just a job for you, it’s a passion.  L., and our family have benefitted greatly from her time at Uinta.  

Other factors for bringing L. home, were our increasing unease with what we felt was lack of access to L. as well as our perceived direction of where L.’s treatment might be going.  We understand that our perceptions might be mis-perceptions, but they were our perceptions that we simply could not ‘shake’.  Finally, we could not ignore our parental instinct and we made the difficult decision to bring her home.

For the last several weeks we have struggled with whether to voice our concerns to you, and we finally decided to share with you some things that we experienced while L. was at Uinta.  To preface all of this, we want to state that we feel Sue worked extremely well with L. and so we repeatedly tried to set our own misgivings and concerns aside in the interest of our daughter’s treatment.

From the very beginning, we had an undefined uneasiness about our interactions with Sue.  We felt like she was constantly trying to ‘put us in our place’ and establish that she was in control of our daughter and that she didn’t really need or want our input.  Again, we will readily admit that this is our perception and that it might be a mis-perception, but we are relaying how we felt, not just once, but repeatedly.  Reasons why we felt this way?  The examples are varied.  One simple one was Sue not turning her cell phone off (or even turning it to vibrate) during our family therapy sessions.  We often felt that she was distracted by her cell phone, checking e-mail, etc. during our family therapy sessions.  We want to be clear that this was not just once, it went off almost every session.  One session we could even tell that she was texting during our session.  Incidentally this was a very important session where we were telling L. she was coming home–L. when hearing the news, stated ‘oh you all think I’m good enough to go home?’  Because Sue was busy texting someone else, she made no response to this statement.  We ended up explaining to L. that we felt she had worked very hard and that she would need to continue treatment when she was at home.  Sue never responded to this, and as her therapist, we certainly could have used her direction and at least assistance in this conversation with L..  In our years of working with therapists, we had never experienced this and we felt that it showed a lack of respect to our limited family therapy time.  Again, please understand that we are not completely dense and selfish to not realize that there are emergencies that may come up from time to time.   However, we also know that Uinta has a wonderfully trained staff of family teachers that are always available.  We were just frustrated at our perceived lack of her respect to L. and our family therapy time by the fact that her cell phone was not silenced during our sessions.  After bringing L. home, she told us that it bothered her that Sue would take phone calls from her daughter during their sessions, or that she would check e-mail, etc., during their therapy time.  We wonder how it would have been perceived if we had our cell phones going off and were texting others during our family therapy sessions.  My guess is that Sue would not have looked on it too favorably and that she might have felt we weren’t fully engaged in our family therapy.

Another ongoing issue was trying to schedule visits with L..  One of our main concerns when we made the decision to send L. to Uinta was whether or not we would be able to have regular visits with L..  Looking back at our notes of our initial phone conversation with you and Becky,  we noted that you said we would be able to see her approximately every 6-7 weeks.  We always understood that any of these visits were subject to last minute cancellation if L. had not earned the privilege.  Our frustration was getting even the ok to plan a visit.  

We don’t know how it works with other parents and therapists, but we (perhaps wrongly) expected that after 1 visit was complete, the therapist would say, ok that visit went well, next visit could be <date>, why don’t you plan for that, and we will decide the week of if your daughter has earned it.  That never happened.  Without going into the he said/she said scenarios of how each visit was scheduled, suffice it to say that we were always left feeling like we had no say in when we could and could not see our daughter.  Better communication on this issue would have greatly relieved a lot of our family’s stress. Instead, we often used valuable family therapy time discussing logistics of visits.  If a clearer level of written communication had existed in this area, we could have better used that time with L. on actual therapy issues.

That brings us to another nagging concern that we could never shake.  E-mail communication, and our perception (or again readily admitted possible mis-perception) that Sue never completely read our e-mails.  Please understand that we tried to keep e-mail to a minimum.  We understood Sue’s time constraints, and we didn’t want to be parents that filled the in-box.  However, from the beginning we were told (at parent weekend) that e-mail was the best way to communicate–if we had questions or concerns we should send an e-mail.  For example as to why we felt they weren’t fully read, when we would send an e-mail with 3 questions, we might receive an answer back to 1 of them.  We would re-send and this would go back and forth.  We also had it more than once that we would send something, have no response, and then the following week in family therapy we would bring the concern up and to us it always felt like she hadn’t read it, or at the most skimmed it and put it aside.  Sometimes it wasn’t questions, it might have been input and observations that we felt important to L.’s ongoing therapy–we don’t think these type of e-mails ever received a response, or even a one line acknowledgment to the extent of ‘thanks for the information’.  Sometimes we wondered if she had even received our e-mail (maybe a simple setting on the e-mail system that sends out auto receipt acknowledgments??)  

When L. hit her 6 month mark we sent a detailed e-mail asking if it was possible to have a phone conference with the entire treatment team and we listed the things we wanted to discuss.  We also listed several things that we would like input from the academic team on.   The following week when we finally discussed the e-mail, it came across to us repeatedly during our conversation that it was very possible Sue had not fully read the e-mail.  For instance, she asked us what information we wanted from the academic team–this had been detailed in the e-mail.  At one point she said to us, it sounds like maybe it would be a good idea to have a phone conference with the treatment team, would you be ok with doing that?  To this we responded yes, we would be in to that, that is why we asked for it in our original e-mail.  It was during this conversation that we were told our level of reaction to receiving no response from her was excessive.  Sue told us she was very busy working with girls and that she often didn’t have time to respond to parents, and finally that we needed to understand that Uinta was better at communication than other facilities so we should be glad that there was the level of communication that there was.   More than once we expressed to Sue that at times we felt like we had no idea what was going on with L. and her treatment.  Sue always defensively responded ‘that’s not true, you know what is going on with her’, invalidating our feelings.  

When Sue told us she often didn’t have time to respond to parents and that essentially that is just how it was, we were disheartened and walked away with the perception (again our possible mis-perception) that Sue did not really need or want us involved in L.’s treatment.  This was very concerning to us. We did not want L. to perceive that we didn’t want to be involved in her treatment, or that we had asked to have limited contact with her.  We realize that some might view this as a control issue, we view it as wanting to be involved in our 12 year old’s life and treatment and our desire to continue to build a healthy relationship with her as she grows up.  Finally, it was sad when Jane went to bring L. home and Sue had nothing to say, not even good-bye.  Jane had told her and Kristi ahead of time when she would be arriving.  When Jane arrived, no one was available (which is understandable–it was the middle of the day).  When Sue later arrived at the house, she walked into the room, made one statement, handed Jane L.’s transcript and walked away.  They never saw her again.  The discharge summary that we had asked be prepared and ready to go wasn’t ready, nor did Sue explain when it would be ready or even acknowledge that it wasn’t ready to go with L..  Before she and L. left, Jane ended up asking Kristi when it would be ready.  We received it a few days later, luckily in time before our first scheduled appointment with L.’s local treatment providers.

We don’t know how you will interpret or take this letter.  We hope that you will see it for what it is intended to be, a relaying of parents’ observations and concerns and how maybe things can be improved for others.  It is not intended as criticism. Again, we appreciate all that was done for L. while at Uinta.  After several years of therapy, L. had given up and nothing we could do would get her to engage in therapy and trying again.  Now, she knows that she can feel good and is willing to work at it.  That is a blessing.

Thank you again,
Wow. Thank you for that post, momof4. What a story. Sounds to me like you've been overly accommodating to Uinta Academy, and they've pretty much blown you off. Age 12 is a very young age to be sent off to a program. I can't believe how much they denied you access and contact with your own daughter. That can't have been very good for her. I'd see that as a real red flag if I were another parent reading this!
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline momof4

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2010, 02:50:42 PM »
Thanks.  This is my hope, that other parents will read our story.  I think you are right, we were overly accommodating.  I think we were so beat up by the time we sent our daughter there we put up with more than we should have.  You are right, we have had some re-learning to do with our daughter since she came home--trying to compensate for the damage that was done by the extreme separation tactics that went on.  At one point when she was gone, our daughter thought that WE had asked to cut off contact with her (apparently that is an option for parents and she had seen it happen with other girls).  She thought this because we had a couple of weeks where our family therapy time did not involve our daughter--one instance where we were being chewed out by Sue for expecting that she respond to a lengthy e-mail we had sent.  (this was the conversation where she told us she was too busy to respond to parents).  Our understanding is that Sue did nothing to reassure our daughter that this was not the case, so she thought this for a few weeks.  It was horrible when we found out our daughter thought this, it finally spilled out that she was thinking we had asked to end contact with her when we were on a social phone call, the family teacher ended our phone call because she said we were discussing a therapy issue and we weren't allowed to do that.  Again, devestating, to be trying to tell our daughter that we loved her and wanted to have contact with her and the phone is grabbed out of her hand and hung up.  Awesome, just awesome.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2010, 03:07:54 AM »
One can only imagine how harrowing that situation was for your daughter. Good work on pulling her out before things could get to far along. Cutting off contact with loved ones is just another rotten trick programs play to emotionally attack the kid and parents.

Offline ToniB

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2010, 12:08:52 AM »
It has been a while and I am not familiar w/ this Sue person but when we left our therapist did come to say good-bye but we saw hide nor hair of Jeff or Kristi.  I personally thought this was rude and a little odd.  If you are in the therapy business you ought to be able to suck it up for an uncomfortable good-bye.  It just sort of was the icing on the cake(bad icing, bad cake) of the last couple of months of our daughter's stay where avoidance of us and even avoidance of her (i/e. very limited therapy).  Given the economic situation you would think Jeff would be a little more savvy about greasing the parent wheel.

Offline oldest

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2010, 05:34:34 PM »
I am responding to the site because I was talking with my dad, Jeff Simpson, this weekend and he mentioned to me he had just recently been informed of it by a parent and after checking it out was very disappointed.  After I checked out, I wasn’t disappointed, I was angry!  Just so you know I am not some young immature woman who had to attend program after program!!!  I am a mother of three beautiful, smart, and caring girls, my oldest a teenager. I have a degree in Health Science and am now working on my BSN.

I can’t respond to some of the comments made by these moms nor do I know the young woman that made the comments about Uinta and my dad, but I do know my dad and mom.  They are two of the most compassionate and giving people you will ever meet.  I need to make some comments about the 5 program woman’s statements.  They are so out of character for my dad as to be ridiculous. When the first girls came to Uinta they actually lived with my parents on our farm.  As the program expanded my parents moved out, giving the farm up to the program.  Both my dad and I have Celiac disease.  We have always been careful about what we eat and consequently, have developed some “favorite” brands.  As with most families, my parents have certain brands of food they prefer.  One is Hunts ketchup, also, Best Mayo (we weren’t a Miracle Whip family), Campbell’s soup, Lays potato chip, Jif peanut butter and so on.  My dad also likes to make jokes.  He is very quick witted and funny. I can definitely see him making a joking comment about Heinz ketchup and politics.  I can also tell you that he never tried to influence our political ideas and I know he wouldn’t do that in his program.  He has always encouraged all of us kids to form our own, well thought out and researched, opinions. I also know he was a huge supporter of Hillary Clinton in the last election and donated heavily to her campaign!  Last I checked, she is definitely NOT a Republican!  So this young woman has no clue what she’s talking about.  Also, my father would have never made the “garbage disposal” comment, she claims.  He raised 3 daughters and a son and was always very sensitive to food/eating issues! Say what she may, it’s just not true.  Lastly, he would never abuse any animal, especially one of his horses!  I have seen him cry when a horse had to be put down.  I have seen him stay up all night with a sick horse in the middle of the winter.  I’ve seen him stop on the roadside on the way to church and cross a muddy field in his best suit to free a neighbor’s horse that was tangled in barb wire.  

Just a few other things about my parents.  Some people try to portray people like them as greedy.  We didn’t buy our first home until I was 16 years old, because my parents spent most of their career, working for non-profit organizations that didn’t pay well, helping underprivileged and unwanted children and adolescents.  At one time my dad worked in a program that tried to PREVENT children from having to leave their homes by sending a “family preservation” therapist to work with the family in their home.  I remember one Christmas, early in the morning, he got a phone call from one of his families that was in a crisis.  He immediately went over to their home and didn’t return until late that evening!  They have dedicated their lives to helping children and their families; and for a few people to try and tarnish their work and their names is despicable!  

One last thing to show you the character of my father.  He always wanted a farm, so many years ago we were able to buy a small farm in Northern Utah.  The place where they eventually started Uinta.   The gentleman we bought it from was very old and when the time came for us to move in, he refused to leave.  We had to leave our home as the new residents were to move in.  It was early fall and school had just started so we moved a borrowed camp trailer under the hay barn on the property and moved into it waiting for the elderly gentleman to move out.  He kept insisting it would be a “few weeks.”  We soon realized he had no intention to move out.  Sometimes he would unhook our water hose attached to the trailer or unplug the electrical cord attached to an outside outlet.  My dad never said a word, never got mad, and never confronted this old man.  He would say, he’s old, he’s attached to the farm and it’s hard for him to leave.  My dad could have legally had him removed, but he never considered that.  Do you know how difficult it can be for a family of six to live in a small camp trailer, especially under those circumstances? Well, you get through it with a LOT of patience and love. About three months after we got there, the old man passed away and 2 days later, after his family moved his belongings, we moved in to the home!  That is the kind of compassion my father has for people.  I doubt many other people, especially those that blog on these sites would have been as understanding and compassionate.

To those who read this, that is who my parents are.  Granted I’m their daughter, but everything I’ve posted is true.  

I’ll finish with a story my dad told us as little kids.  There once was this Indian tribe and in the tribe was a woman who liked to talk about other people.  It didn’t matter if the gossip was true or not, she always had something negative to say about other people.  After years of this she was ostracized by everyone in the tribe and no one would talk to her, so she went to the wise Chief for advice, asking him how she can take back her words.  He told her that when everyone was asleep that night, he wanted her to put a feather outside each of the teepees of anyone she had ever talked negatively about.  That night she did so, placing a feather in front of every teepee in camp.  However, during the night a huge storm came in and blew the feathers to the four corners of the world. In the morning she went to the wise Chief and told him that she had placed the feathers as she was instructed, but that a storm had blown them away.  He told her to retrieve each and every one of the feathers.  She said she could not, it would be impossible.  He responded, and so shall it be to take back all the things you spoke of others!

Interestingly, one of the bloggers on this site named their first child after my father; another made ridiculous and untrue claims.  Maybe blogging on this site says more about the people who blog here than it says about who they are blogging about!