Author Topic: BROTHER'S KEEPER Bullshit  (Read 5374 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
BROTHER'S KEEPER Bullshit
« on: February 10, 2008, 02:16:39 PM »
This from an old set of Malcolm Gauld's Blog entries:

Date: August 17, 2005
Subject: Brother's Keeper

One of our readers e-mailed us to suggest that our blog address Hyde's time-honored concept of "Brother's Keeper." What is it about? How does it work? How does it impact family and school culture? I welcome comments from the readership. In the meantime, I offer a few thoughts.

The principle of Brother's Keeper simply states, "We help others achieve their best." Our hope is also simple: that Hyde students, teachers, and parents will learn that if they push others and others push them, the total cultural benefits will be greater than the sum of their parts.

Those who seek to teach character will quickly discover that they must "influence the influencers." This discovery is typically accompanied by the realization that kids are impacted daily by two critical influencers: 1. their parents; 2. their friends. At Hyde, we have developed our Family Education Department to address the former. Brother's Keeper helps us nurture the optimal student culture for character development.

Far too many of the schools I have visited are locked in the debilitating grip of a no-win game of "cops and robbers" when it comes to student discipline. Brother's Keeper is a better solution because it brings all the players – students, teachers, and parents – to the table in addressing the problem. Your thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 04:23:48 PM by Ursus »
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Jesus H Christ

• View Profile
Re: BROTHER'S KEEPER Bullshit
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 06:22:53 PM »
F.E.D.? 
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
sk and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 07:15:38 PM »
Gives new meaning to the concept of having the "FEDs" after you, hahah!!

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 04:18:01 PM »
Quote from: "Malcolm Gauld"
Those who seek to teach character will quickly discover that they must "influence the influencers." This discovery is typically accompanied by the realization that kids are impacted daily by two critical influencers: 1. their parents; 2. their friends. At Hyde, we have developed our Family Education Department to address the former. Brother's Keeper helps us nurture the optimal student culture for character development.

Ya know... I didn't even catch that. Isn't "Family Education Department" just another way of saying "HAPA?" Is this MORE culty lingo for the lackeys to learn?

And what does that last sentence (following) have to do with anything else in that paragraph, anyway, hmm? Looks like someone was cutting and pasting from the Hallmark Book of Hyde Phrases and forgot to keep track. The expected sentence would have addressed the second of the "two critical influencers," namely, the kids' friends. I fail to follow Malcolm's semantic logic here.

Quote from: "More From Mal"
Brother's Keeper is a better solution because it brings all the players – students, teachers, and parents – to the table in addressing the problem.

What problematic situation would not bring everyone to the table in addressing it? What, pray tell, is so unique about Brother's Keeper in this regard? Malcolm does not explain.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 04:38:17 PM »
Come on now.  It is the unique elements that built character at Hyde.  Don't go all Gary AssCow and over think it.  Fake it until you make it.  Go thought the motions of excellence until you have it in your muscle memory.  It is a way of life, a life time commitment. Use Joe as your role model.   You can do it Ursus.  Dig Deeper.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 04:55:42 PM »
Quote from: "Choosy Mothers"
Come on now.  It is the unique elements that built character at Hyde.  Don't go all Gary AssCow and over think it.  Fake it until you make it.  Go thought the motions of excellence until you have it in your muscle memory.  It is a way of life, a life time commitment. Use Joe as your role model.   You can do it Ursus.  Dig Deeper.

I thought that Choosy Mothers choose JIF (peanut butter), not Jeff (Black), but what do I know... And what the hell is so unique about Hyde anyway, save the fact that they dress up abuse and disrespect for a human being's autonomy, call it some oxymoron, and expect people to be too stupid or too well-meaning to pick up on that they have been suckered? The Emperor's New Clothes all over again.

Thanks, but I'm happy enough with my "container" as it is. PPfffttt!!

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 06:23:51 PM »
Malcolm tries again five days later:

Date: August 22, 2005

Over the years, I have been approached by a number of school heads and teachers who have asked, "Brother's Keeper sounds great! Could you help us add it to our program?" I tend to answer this question with one of my own: "Are you prepared to abandon or at least significantly overhaul your expulsion policy?"

If the answer is no, I stress the idea that Brother's Keeper cannot be added to a school culture like a stereo component. It is a holistic concept. Of the many educators who annually visit Hyde, nearly all are both impressed and surprised by Brother's Keeper. Their surprise stems from their shock over the realization that it actually works. More than a few have remarked, "It would never work if you expelled the kids for discipline transgressions." I think this is accurate. It also makes sense. After all, if we're going to ask the kids to make an unusual commitment to their student culture, we, their teachers, must make an unusual commitment to them. Your thoughts?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 01:42:17 PM »
"Bullshit" is right on. They always use smoking as an example. But it is used more for judging your attitude and if your with the program, and guess whose judging THAT?

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 12:27:19 PM »
The crap about "holistic concept" always gets me. There is similar or the same language used on the Hyde-DC website as well. There is nothing "holistic" about it. It's called "wrap-around brainwashing" in my book, thank you very much.

They probably realize that smoking is a good "smoking gun" for poster material here. Easy to define, easy to spot, more or less universally frowned upon by all parents and society in general, to boot. The reality that students are turned into petty tin tyrants, feeding off each other's foibles and insecurities, tends to paint a picture not nearly so attractive...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 04:22:31 AM »
gotta fake it! or your not going to last it out there.

Offline dishdutyfugitive

• View Profile
    • http://www.foxmovies.com/fightclub/
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 10:57:08 PM »
It's very holistic.

1 gargantuan "hole" from which all sensibility and reason gets sucked into another dimension.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 07:41:12 PM »
Mission: Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 06:14:46 AM »
Luke 6:41-44

41 "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 42 How can you say to your brother, 'Brother, let me take the speck out of your eye,' when you yourself fail to see the plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.' ''

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2008, 11:44:48 AM »
The harder the truth to tell the truer the friend who tells it:  aka if you are a true friend, your brother's keeper, then at every opportunity you will indict your friend for his/her short comings or perceive ineptitude.   Be a true friend.   Scream at your friend about how she's acting like a whore for smiling at someone, although she's a virgin.    Go on scream at your true friend for reverting to old duggie patterns, like  chatting about a particular brand of clothing.  Tell your friend that s/he is an incredible lazy slob for not tucking in that T-shirt.   And, that confidence that your friend told you.   Well, be a true friend, I know it's hard, but scream a your friend in a group session about how confidences are not acceptable.   Be sure to totally humiliate your friend by betraying the confidence  in a group setting.   The more personal the confidence, like a teenage crush, the better to blast your friend with.   Go on: be your Brother's Keeper.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2008, 01:25:46 PM »
It occurred to me, given the recent activity in this thread, that I had not finished entering Malcolm's blog entries on Brother's Keeper from 2005. Here's is #3, using the example of a student caught smoking.

Ironically, this was right around the time that Hyde parent Nancy Lund, who describes herself in her bio as being "the key steward of the Marlboro brand for more than two decades," was in the midst of -- or just gearing up to -- her financial contributing frenzy that ended up landing her on the Hyde Board of Governors not long after.

Although the veracity of a matching employer contribution is not known, IMO I find that possibility highly likely, given that her employer was then (and still is) "Altria Group, Inc.," previously known as Philip Morris USA. Philip Morris chose to rename itself in the wake of plummeting popular opinion re. the rapacious marketing strategies of cigarette companies, and strategically strove to present an image of a philanthropic steward of public consumption. "Altria"... is that supposed to suggest "altruism?"

See the Only @ Hyde thread for more details. The new Only @ Hyde site was "conceptualized during discussions between Hyde Board of Governors member Nancy Lund and Hyde President Malcolm Gauld, who expressed interest in featuring the 'unique' and 'intriguing' qualities and experiences delivered only at Hyde." Incidentally that "cutting edge global marketing firm" of Leo Burnett Worldwide, Inc. that Nancy Lund teamed up with for this project, has been handling the Marlboro brand since 1955.

Back to Malcolm's blog, color emphasis mine:

Date: August 30, 2005

It occurs to me that this topic (Brother's Keeper) might require some explanation.

Most of Hyde's ethics regarding student behavioral expectations are easily understandable.  The fact that we do not allow students to take drugs and that we penalize them for stealing from their peers does not surprise them; nor are students surprised to learn that cheating is not tolerated. The "rub" with the vast majority of Hyde students comes with the concept of Brother's Keeper.

Simply put, students are expected to act upon the disciplinary infractions and attitudes of their peers. They are expected to hold each other accountable to their personal best. For example, if you are not a smoker but you're walking downtown with Johnny, who lights up a cigarette, you have a responsibility to do something about that. You must tell Johnny to turn himself in to the Dean's Office and make it clear that if he doesn't, you will. If we later become aware of Johnny's smoking and it becomes clear that you knew he had smoked and that you had not acted upon it, you will be treated as if you were in the same boat as Johnny. This is a bitter pill for Hyde students to swallow. When a young student first learns of Brother's Keeper, he or she will invariably say something like "No way! I'm not going to 'narc' on my friends." In most schools, a student would commit social suicide if he or she turned a classmate in for breaking the rules of the school. Not so at Hyde.

Much of the initial disdain for Brother's Keeper is due to the fact that a student's initial association with the concept is usually a negative one. Either a student has committed a violation of the ethics and does not want to accept accountability for it, or one has witnessed another student committing a violation and would rather not get involved in the ugly social repercussions of turning in a fellow student. However, later on, after a student begins to perform well academically, scores a few goals out on the soccer field, or sings a solo in a school production, the student realizes that he or she might never have accomplished these things without the positive peer pressure of Brother's Keeper. After these experiences the veteran student generally regards Brother's Keeper in a positive light.