Author Topic: Shortridge Academy  (Read 1304 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Shortridge Academy
« on: February 04, 2008, 12:13:39 PM »
I had a bad feeling about the place ever since my friend told me about it. Her parents sent her to the program around my sophomore year of High School---maybe around 2005 or 2006. She went on a break a few months back, and told me about the boarding school and how it helped her. I was sort of weary. My friend was different. I don't mean she was happier---just boring. The  bad feeling that lingered didn't get any better. I checked out the website---"don't wear black" and they show students wearing black polo shirts and black north face-or-whatever jackets. Jean and leather jackets were out of the question. Oh, the "no t-shirt with logo" rules has been broken---in the gallery it shows some guys with t-shirts with a logo of some-sort. (Unless they are exceptions to this rule.)

My friend told me she was finishing the program in December. It is now February, and I haven't heard a word from her. Her parents tell me she's still there when I call her house. Apparently she was at the last phase, or whatever.

The funny thing is that I have a feeling that she'll come back, and she'll end up becoming depressed against. A lot of her problems stemmed from her distant parents and her slightly-abusive older brother. She might of changed, but what it to say her environment hasn't changed? I am afraid that she hasn't learned how to cope at home or at school.

Anyway.

I want some information about the boarding school---personal experiences. I want more information of their "emotional growth" system.

Sometimes bothers me. I just can't figure out why.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Covergaard

• View Profile
    • http://www.carstenovergaard.dk
Re: Shortridge Academy
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 04:04:31 PM »
There are several sources to investigate. The Fornits Wiki page about the facility there is a link to a myspace group of former detainees.

The url for the group is http://groups.myspace.com/shortridge

We are still improving the pages about the seminars and sometime the seminars on the spin-off schools are altered or combined from the original concept.

Here is a description of the seminar structure of another spin-off school.

Here is some text about the original concept.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Shortridge Academy
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 06:43:50 PM »
Thank you!

I didn't think to check Myspace.

Something caught my eye:

Communication between the teenagers in the program: Teenagers new in the program are not allowed to speak with others in the program, who has not been through the first marathon workshop (In most cases the first workshop is done 3 months into the program). Apart from students punished with speaking bans, a teenager can talk to everyone else.

There is a possibility that I missed or misread something. I just feel that not being able to talk to people of your own peer group for up to three months is a bit odd. On their logic, it might have to do with the people being afraid that the oldbies might tell the newbies about the program, etc. But still. I'm not the talkative one, but not being able to talk to certain people would probably drive me nuts. I practically went insane when I spent a few days with my family (mom, dad, aunt, uncle, etc.)---by the end of the second day I craving contact with people much closer to my age.

Another thing that would make me completely crazy? Limited calls to my parents.

I guess I can't really speak from a student's or adult's view.

Rules are a great thing. That is, if they make sense.