Author Topic: straight documentary  (Read 3128 times)

Offline jrstraight

• View Profile
straight documentary
« on: March 12, 2002, 05:33:00 PM »
Dear Friends and neighbors,
   Let me begin by saying that I am a filmmaker living in Chicago. I have worked in many capacities on small films, large films and TV shows. That being said, let me backtrack.
   My girlfriend and myself both have sisters who are veterans of such ?programs?. My sister was in Kids Helping Kids in Northern Kentucky. My Girlfriend?s sister was in ?Straight? in Washington DC (or Virginia).
   I feel I don?t have to go into all of the ramifications the experience has had on our families. Suffice it to say that while I have been reading the posts on this website (http://fornits.com/anonanon/sidetalk/)
I have come across things that shocked me and things that also sounded very familiar. I can say that panic attacks, mistrust and paranoia are things that our sisters deal with on a daily basis. I feel like I lost the person who was my sister a long time ago.
   Recently, a lot of the problems facing my sister have come to a head. Things are getting pretty bad. That is what led me to the website. So I?m sitting there, late at night, wading through endless posts - unable to stop reading. That was the genesis of this open letter.
   I feel like humans are doomed to repeat the mistakes of the past. The only thing we can do is try to look at things that happened in the past - things done in certain political climates - things done in the heat of passion - and try to learn from them. We must always try to get at the truth, however elusive it might be.
   I have decided to send this letter to many of you whom I encountered on the website. I?ve decided that I might put together another forum: a long form documentary film about these issues. I realize that there are so many of you who would rather retain your anonymity. For this I cannot blame you one bit. I will say, however, if not you, who? If not now, when? This is your chance to let your voice be heard over the most powerful medium in the world: moving pictures with sound. I will not be seeking corporate sponsors for this project, nor will I be seeking network affiliation. This will be a true labor of love, funded out of my own pocket - a tithe, if you will, to humanity.

If you are a ?graduate? of the program or a family member of anyone involved I would be very interested in working with you on this project.

Sincerely,
JR
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline ladyjerrico

• View Profile
straight documentary
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2002, 08:23:00 PM »
do you want only graduates and family members only? Or would you want success stories from those who lived in inside the program from anyone?

[ This Message was edited by: ladyjerrico on 2002-03-12 17:24 ]
usan Minns

Offline jrstraight

• View Profile
straight documentary
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2002, 10:41:00 PM »
Thank you for your reply. I most definitely want success stories from
those that lived inside the program. I'm making this film not to give
answers but to pose questions. Admittedly, I'm a bit biased against such
programs due to the effects they've had on the lives of a few people
surrounding me. So, I am as interested in success stories as those of
failure. Maybe even more.
Thanks,
JR

Offline ladyjerrico

• View Profile
straight documentary
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2002, 11:11:00 PM »
Thanks for sending this along in my email as well, I have my own success story, and my own stories of people who have failed which I was on the same phase with, or oldcomers in the program..

I'm sure others have the same response, many things were promised to us at Straight, but never were delivered.

One vital question I have out there, if anyone would know, who would be the person who is responsible for these "rules" we had to follow? why was this such a diehard thing to do? AND why did we suffer physically, mentally and emotionally for it?

I know when we all were in this program (for those who stayed), we were using and we knew we had to have dicapline throughout.

Tough love isn't beating you over the head and making you feel like your a part of a major football team.

Tough love is dicapline, and also to be talked to about what you did wrong.. not be yelled at!

Those are the questions I am posing in my mind to this very day

[ This Message was edited by: ladyjerrico on 2002-03-12 20:12 ]
usan Minns

Offline Carmel

• View Profile
straight documentary
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2002, 10:32:00 AM »
I applaud your efforts at exposue for these places, as indeed the abuse still continues.  I was in Dallas Straight for almost a year (1990).  I suppose I am a success story, not a graduate, but I have come far despite my experience there.  That in itself I consider a success.  I can understand intimatley what you describe as panic and paranoia on the part of your sister.  I struggle with anxiety attacks and depression as well.  I realize the nature of these ailments and have come to terms with them.  I would be honored to help you in any way, be it infomation or just plain ole encoragement.  Ever since finding this forum, I have contemplated ways in which to contribute to the "cause" if you will.  Please fell free to e-mail me at [email protected].  God luck and thanks for you inspiration!
...hands went up and people hit the floor, he wasted two kids that ran for the door....."
-Beastie Boys, Paul Revere

Offline Helena Handbasket

• View Profile
straight documentary
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2003, 01:23:00 PM »
JR:

I am not a "Straight" survivor, but a "LIFE" survivor.  I have only recently learned that LIFE was an "offshoot" of Straight.

I knew when I first walked into the LIFE building in 1984, that something was "just plain wrong", but no one really listens to a fourteen year old.   I am very glad to know that many people are advocating the teens (most of whom are adults now) that were subjected to this torment.

I am very interested in your project, not only as a "survivor", but as a living, THINKING human being.
uly 21, 2003 - September 17, 2006

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
straight documentary
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2003, 02:20:00 PM »
The original post in this thread was from March of 2002.  Over one year ago to date.  While your interest in such projects is applauded, be aware that seemingly everyone is writing a screenplay or book about the straight(s) experience.  Many projects end up incomplete and deep in the circle file (wastebasket).  There are those that have ongoing works in progress and those for the most part are public such as "A Clockwork Straight", and others.  
Beware of opportunists with capitalstic intentions.

Offline Helena Handbasket

• View Profile
straight documentary
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2003, 02:43:00 PM »
I thank you for the "heads up" - to tell you the truth, the faint idea of someone capitalizing on the subject came to mind, but I thought "who would possibly do that?"

I guess it takes all kinds..
uly 21, 2003 - September 17, 2006

Offline Don Smith

• View Profile
    • http://straightincalumni.com
straight documentary
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2003, 02:44:00 PM »
Good point. I am in the final stages of finishing my manuscript, Straight, Inc. America's Most Controversial Drug Rehab.  I am well ahead of my target date for submitting my manuscript to a publisher.  No way to tell for sure if they will even publish it, but either way it has been a very good experience for me to put it down on paper.
Perhaps if the publisher doesn't do anything with my manuscript I can put it on the WWW.

Cheers

Don
t\'s not for me to question How God will provide for my needs. I only have to Know that He will.

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
straight documentary
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2003, 02:46:00 PM »
Welcome to the board, Sara. I was in straight VA from 1982 to 1985 (a little over two years). Hope to see more posts from you in the near future.  :grin:

Offline suflowersinamericanow

• View Profile
straight documentary
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2003, 03:44:00 PM »
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Instituti ... tillAlive/

Description Category: Families
A tribe of American Teens who have managed to stay alive while being institutionalized in behavior modification institutes, boot camps, wilderness programs, and reform schools in and out of these United States of America.

I have started this group to collect data nationwide. Please pass this information along so I can build a database specifically from the survivors.

Thank you.
Su Flowers

I will alert all members to this website of Fornits' Home.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
straight documentary
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2003, 07:54:00 PM »
Folks, this is what freedom of speech is all about. Lots of people give their best shot to various kinds of expression and, hopefully, a few good ones make it into circulation. Anyone who can accomplish that has earned considerable compensation as far as I'm concerned and I do hope they get it!

If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.

--Thomas Jefferson

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes