Author Topic: Major Hyde Leadership Changes  (Read 3794 times)

Offline Dove

• View Profile
Major Hyde Leadership Changes
« on: January 22, 2008, 11:29:09 PM »
In short:
-Laura Gauld will be Executive Director of Hyde Boarding Schools. She will stay as Hyde-Woodstock Head of School, but will spend 1/3 of her time at Bath.
-Don MacMillan will be Hyde-Bath Head of School. He will now be preparing this spring for the position, spending time at the Bath campus and moving his family.
-Bob Felt will be Associate Head of School at Hyde-Woodstock, the second-in-command after Laura Gauld. He will lead the school during Laura Gauld's absences.

Together, these three make up the new Hyde Executive Leadership team.

Hyde Schools Reorganizes Leadership Team
Hyde Schools Reorganizes Leadership Team
1/21/2008
Bath, ME/Woodstock, CT—Two education veterans and a faculty member/ administrator with more than a decade of experience will comprise a leadership trio who will oversee Hyde Schools’ college-preparatory boarding campuses in Bath, ME, and Woodstock, CT, in school year 2008-09.

In an effort to reconfigure Hyde’s boarding school administration and create “one school with two campuses,” Hyde President Malcolm W. Gauld ’72 Bath recently appointed an executive leadership team who will work together to further strengthen delivery of Hyde’s unique brand of family-based character education to students and families in grades 9-12. The team members are: Laura Denton Gauld ’76 Bath, Donald W. MacMillan, and Robert C. Felt ’90 Bath.

Letter from Malcolm Gauld Regarding Leadership Changes
1/21/2008
A New Executive Leadership Team
The Hyde-Bath search process began late last summer, after Laurie Hurd announced that this would be her last year as Head of School. Shortly after we began to give consideration to the scores of candidates who responded to the ads placed in national publications, we also began to perceive the search process as an opportunity to unify Bath and Woodstock more strongly and thereby continuously improve the unique brand of character education we offer at Hyde. We have always described Bath and Woodstock as "one school, two campuses," and yet in many respects the schools have operated independently, sometimes even in competition with each other. In the spirit of Hyde's belief in synergy – "1+1=3" – we began to envision a new executive leadership team that would work together to inspire this synergy at Bath and Woodstock. This executive team consists of Bob Felt, Laura Gauld, and Don MacMillan.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Dove

• View Profile
Re: Major Hyde Leadership Changes
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 11:55:43 PM »
I've known quite personally all three. Here's what I think.

Laura Gauld

Bob Felt

Don MacMillan

But that's just what I think of them. As for this story in particular, this was a very solid reorganization. Hyde has made a good move to recognize its strongest leadership assets. If you'd asked me, these three already were Hyde's unofficial executive leadership team.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 01:49:22 AM »
Quote from: "Dove"
In short:
-Laura Gauld will be Executive Director of Hyde Boarding Schools. She will stay as Hyde-Woodstock Head of School, but will spend 1/3 of her time at Bath.
-Don MacMillan will be Hyde-Bath Head of School. He will now be preparing this spring for the position, spending time at the Bath campus and moving his family.
-Bob Felt will be Associate Head of School at Hyde-Woodstock, the second-in-command after Laura Gauld. He will lead the school during Laura Gauld's absences.

Together, these three make up the new Hyde Executive Leadership team.

1/21/2008
...Shortly after we began to give consideration to the scores of candidates who responded to the ads placed in national publications, we also began to perceive the search process as an opportunity to unify Bath and Woodstock more strongly and... we began to envision a new executive leadership team that would work together to inspire this synergy at Bath and Woodstock. This executive team consists of Bob Felt, Laura Gauld, and Don MacMillan.

I don't think there was ever a rat's ass chance in hell that any candidate outside of the Hyde cabal, was EVER considered for this rearrangement of chess pieces.

I am curious as to why Grant does not seem to figure into the key lineup... Perhaps a tier down?
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 08:30:20 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumvirate

Meet the new bosses.

Moow

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 08:48:36 AM »
BAAAaaa!!  BAAAaaa!!  BAAAaaa!! 

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 01:56:55 PM »
For posterity's sake (lol), the full letter from Malcolm:

I write to inform you of decisions that have been made regarding the Head of School position at Hyde-Bath and about a new approach to leadership that we plan to implement in our boarding schools.

The Hyde-Bath search process began late last summer, after Laurie Hurd announced that this would be her last year as Head of School. Shortly after we began to give consideration to the scores of candidates who responded to the ads placed in national publications, we also began to perceive the search process as an opportunity to unify Bath and Woodstock more strongly and thereby continuously improve the unique brand of character education we offer at Hyde. We have always described Bath and Woodstock as "one school, two campuses," and yet in many respects the schools have operated independently, sometimes even in competition with each other. In the spirit of Hyde's belief in synergy - "1+1=3" - we began to envision a new executive leadership team that would work together to inspire this synergy at Bath and Woodstock. This executive team consists of Bob Felt, Laura Gauld, and Don MacMillan.

Laura Gauld '76 Bath - Executive Director, Hyde Boarding Schools
While continuing to serve as Head of School at Hyde-Woodstock, Laura Gauld will assume the added responsibilities of Executive Director of the Hyde Boarding Schools. In this capacity, she will spend a third of her time on the Bath campus working to optimize the quality of the program at Bath while simultaneously synchronizing opportunities with Woodstock. One of our hopes is to significantly increase the co-mingling of the various opportunities for Hyde students. It is our vision that it will become commonplace for Hyde students in the future to spend time at both campuses prior to graduating.

Regarding Hyde's new unified executive leadership team, Laura said, "I welcome the chance to work on a new approach to Hyde's future and believe that our success will depend upon the quality of our alliances with each other and on a combined focus on helping prepare students for life."

Don MacMillan - Head of School at Hyde-Bath
It is my pleasure to announce that Don MacMillan has been appointed Head of School at Hyde-Bath. Don began teaching at Hyde in 1983, following his graduation from Bowdoin College. He immediately established himself as an outstanding math teacher and coach of varsity football and men's lacrosse (e.g., 2-time Maine Coach of the Year). He served as Dean of Students and Assistant Headmaster before going on to graduate school at Harvard University where he received his master's degree in education. In 1999, Don served as the founding Head of School at Hyde-DC, today Hyde's largest school with 800 students in grades K-12. Don then went on to earn a second master's degree in counseling at Antioch University before returning to Hyde to serve as Director of Counseling and Associate Head at Hyde-Woodstock. In accepting his new role, Don said, "I'm excited to return to the Bath campus, and I look forward to working with others to bring out the best in the whole Hyde organization."

Don and his wife, Gigi MacMillan '82 Bath, are the parents of Hyde-Woodstock graduate Kayla '07 Woodstock and current Hyde-Bath student Hannah '10 Bath. They will be moving to Bath with son, Wilson, at the conclusion of the current school year. In the meantime, Don will be spending considerable time at Bath this spring preparing for his new role.

Bob Felt '90 Bath - Associate Head of School at Hyde Woodstock
Bob Felt will assume the title of Associate Head at Hyde-Woodstock. The scope of his responsibility will be expanded to include the oversight of the day-to-day campus life there. During those occasions when Laura is in Bath, Bob will serve as the leader of the campus. Bob had this to say about his new responsibilities: "I am eager to continue the growth that we have made in the Woodstock community and to foster a new connection between the Bath and Woodstock communities."

This new unified leadership team is a different direction than the one we had envisioned when we initially began considering the Hyde-Bath search process last summer. I am deeply excited by the leadership that these three individuals will offer our students, our faculty and staff, our families, and our alumni. This spring Bob, Don, and Laura will work with the faculty to design a plan of action for the coming year. In the meantime, please join me in congratulating all three of them and in working toward a bright future for everyone at Hyde.

Sincerely,

(signature of Malcolm Gauld)

Malcolm Gauld, President

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 08:35:49 PM »

First let me start by saying "Moow" to all my ppl.

Ok now, let me see if I understand this.  Hyde did a nation wide search for talent.  They screened all the perspective candidates, then picked Joe's son in law and Joe's daughter in law for two thirds of the leadership team.  Do I have that right?  Wow! What a coincidence! Two of the three best candidates were right in Joe's family.

MOOW

Offline Dove

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 08:51:47 PM »
Hyde is a lifetime commitment, you fat cow.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 09:39:23 PM »
Quote from: "Mrs O'leary's Cow"

First let me start by saying "Moow" to all my ppl.

Ok now, let me see if I understand this.  Hyde did a nation wide search for talent.  They screened all the perspective candidates, then picked Joe's son in law and Joe's daughter in law for two thirds of the leadership team.  Do I have that right?  Wow! What a coincidence! Two of the three best candidates were right in Joe's family.

MOOW

Well, yes, my bovine friend, but you forgot to mention that the third candidate has probably spent well over half his life with that cult, not to mention that his progeny is currently enrolled... That would make it a bit higher than two out of three, although I'm not sure exactly what that fraction might be...

On another note,

Quote from: "My Pal Mal"
In the spirit of Hyde's belief in synergy - "1+1=3" ...

I would say that sounds just about right when it comes to what I recall about Hyde's standards of truth and integrity... namely, they bear little resemblance to logic and reality!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 11:37:08 AM »
I say, y'all.. None o you clucksters been a commentin bout what pertains to the mixin o the student body. I say goodun to hide what shouldin come out, and a good way ta sep-o-rate da instigators, y'all hear, huh?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2008, 08:24:05 AM »
What a joke that they did a nationwide search!!  Hyde will never allow outsiders into their cult! Who were they fooling by saying they looked all over the country and interviewed candidates. Do you think they had to do this to satisfy the board or to look good to parents? Another case of dishonesty. They never intended to hire anyone outside their cult.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2008, 08:39:55 AM »
Quote from: "a non believer"
What a joke that they did a nationwide search!!  Hyde will never allow outsiders into their cult! Who were they fooling by saying they looked all over the country and interviewed candidates. Do you think they had to do this to satisfy the board or to look good to parents? Another case of dishonesty. They never intended to hire anyone outside their cult.

That much be eva so clear. Any youse or theys turkey think othawise gots theya brain fried crisper than lass weeks bacon left ona grill.

Offline HG

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 02:20:10 AM »
Im not so surprised about Laura Gauld and Don McMillan. But Bob Felt?

Offline Joseph W. Gauld

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2008, 02:12:42 AM »
I knew you'd all see it my way. I'm just tickled pink, har har har!!! The Seed of Gauld will prevail!!

Joseph W. Gauld, The Educator and The Progenitor

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 11:36:27 PM »
MacMillan Appointed Head Of School At Hyde-Bath
10/7/2008
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 7, 2008
CONTACT: Casey F. Hill, 207-443-7121, http://www.hyde.edu/podium/default.aspx ... LKWwh1E%3D