Author Topic: Closing Straight Inc  (Read 1831 times)

Offline Kathy

• View Profile
    • http://ficanetwork.net
Closing Straight Inc
« on: March 12, 2002, 07:02:00 AM »
This question is directed at those who were in the program when it closed down.... I know there has to be someone out there who was in group when it got shut down.  What happened?  How'd it happen? Were you all just set free? I'd like a story from each location.  I'm especially interested in the Virginia program closing, but I am also very interested in any and all of the program closings....  Waiting anxiously, thanks, Kathy
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Kathy
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."    ~Plato

Offline ladyjerrico

• View Profile
Closing Straight Inc
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2002, 04:29:00 PM »
Kathy, after a long tedious 3 hours on the computer, I found a site which will link you to every Straight Inc. that closed.
go to http://www.thestraights.com
It will have a few link, one of them is "where is it now?" and will list every Straight which was closed and what happened to it's facilitys
Hopefully this helps :smile:
usan Minns

Offline groovy1634

• View Profile
Closing Straight Inc
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2002, 01:04:00 PM »
i walked a month before they closed, but i knew the end was near
lisa
dallas straight, 91
EOW  

Offline 85 Day Jerk

• View Profile
Closing Straight Inc
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2002, 05:32:00 PM »
re: Program Closes

I seven stepped from the Morgan Yaght Building and we all went over to see the new straight on Gandy once the program had moved over there.  Most of us were not impressed.  The staff and Miller Newton made it clear that this was "his" Straight Inc now.  Helen Peterman and Dr. George Ross had a falling out with Newton and the way he was running things.  They started a program in Nakomis Florida south of Sarasota called LIFE and I believe a few kids were pulled from straight to resume treatment there.  I visited the program with a few Sarasota friends in '81 and it was small, clean, and they had plenty of fans to keep the place cool.  They also had a pretty good kitchen.  They also had a branch that opened up in Tallahassee that did not last very long.  A few people I knew went on staff there.  One guy got a staffer girl pregnant and then ran back home to his mama in St. Pete, the other guy got his staffer girlfriend pregnant and ended up marrying her.  All ended up messed up on drugs pretty bad when it was over, only now they had become "Predator Druggies," by using what they had learned in the program to their advantage.  As for what happened to LIFE after that, I guess someone from Sarasota/Naples would know cuz by that time I was working 12 hour shifts printing telephone books.
Inside a warehouse behind Tyrone Mall
we walked in darkness, kept hitting the wall.
I took the time to feel for the door,
I had been \"treated\" but what the hell for?

Offline kpickle39

• View Profile
Closing Straight Inc
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2002, 10:20:00 PM »
LIFE in Tallahassee became Turnabout.  It is still in operation.