Author Topic: Check this Benchmark Clip out!  (Read 2985 times)

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
Check this Benchmark Clip out!
« on: December 28, 2007, 08:27:40 PM »
This is what happened when we went with a Benchmark Young Adult School student to go get his passport and property back:

What happened next coming soon...  Stay tuned.

Oh... and I could use a audio person... somebody who is better at cleaning up noisy audio than I am.  I'm a video person mostly...  Most of my audio experience i've gotten this month, and i've only got Soundtrack Pro.  I would assume, based on my assumption that STP is to Logic/Pro-Tools what aperture is to photoshop, that somebody knowledgeable using those tools could probably do a much better job.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 08:55:30 PM by Guest »
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 08:37:08 PM »
Ok... where's part II!!!!

Anxiously awaiting!!!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 08:53:29 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Ok... where's part II!!!!

Maybe i'll finish it tonight (3 AM here), or perhaps you'll have to wait until tomorrow.

Anxiously awaiting!!!

The best stuff is still untouched, but now that i've graduated I'm getting as much done as I possibly can while I have vacation (before I either start an internship here in France (and maybe a job later), or go back to the states to find a job).  I'd like to be back in the states, though, i think (easier to go on raids)...
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 09:19:22 PM »
Could you post the link to the sample? My computer isn't allowing me to play it for some reason.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 09:25:14 PM »
Quote from: ""Che Gookin""
Could you post the link to the sample? My computer isn't allowing me to play it for some reason.

http://http://www.fornits.com/passportDenied.mov

There you go.  If anybody else has issues playing the clip back, make sure you have Quicktime 7 on your machine.  If you're using Linux, VLC should do it (or any player using libavcodec and supporting a quicktime wrapper).

If that doesn't work, i'll start posting the clips in multiple formats (wmv, for example) or containers (.mp4 or .avi).

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 09:26:40 PM »
Thanks dude.. Glad to see you around and congrats on graduating. Hope you had a good blow out to celerbrate.

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 10:53:02 PM »
Did they give it to him?
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 11:42:44 PM »
Quote from: ""Oz girl""
Did they give it to him?

You'll just have to wait for the next clip to find out ;)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 07:03:37 AM »
Quote from: ""psy""
Oh... and I could use a audio person... somebody who is better at cleaning up noisy audio than I am.

Not just noise, but also boosting audio volume of people not so close to the mike.  It's hard to make out some of the non-Che conversation, but maybe that is just me...

I like the eeriness of relying on the negative.  I presume this was originally done to protect identities (?), but it adds a nice tenor to the whole scene.

And... Oh Yeah: CONGRATS on the change in matriculation status!
::birthday::  ::cheers::  ::birthday::
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2007, 03:00:11 PM »
Quote from: ""Ursus""
Quote from: ""psy""
Oh... and I could use a audio person... somebody who is better at cleaning up noisy audio than I am.
Not just noise, but also boosting audio volume of people not so close to the mike.  It's hard to make out some of the non-Che conversation, but maybe that is just me...

Yeah... I did that last night after doing the subtitles.  I created envelopes surrounding pretty much every word.

I like the eeriness of relying on the negative.  I presume this was originally done to protect identities (?)

nope.  It was shot in nightshot and was originally all in green.  That being said it was still far too dark so I only had a quarter of the histogram to work with, which means that the existing low-light noise was effectively quadrupled.  The camera isn't 3CCD camera so what I effectively ended up with was the digital equivalent of very heavy film grain... so I worked with it and applied some filters that would make it compressable (noise is very bad for compression(especially temporal)).  Converting from the green monochrome to grayscale also helped.  The full-res version looks real, real, nice compared to what you see here, btw.

, but it adds a nice tenor to the whole scene.

Thanks!... more to come pretty soon

And... Oh Yeah: CONGRATS on the change in matriculation status!
::birthday::  ::cheers::  ::birthday::[/quote]

Thanks!  I can finally get some work done ( I have a hell of a backed up to-do list )!