Author Topic: Holiday Protest  (Read 3096 times)

Offline lorrispickelmire

• View Profile
Holiday Protest
« on: December 20, 2007, 02:59:19 AM »
Any Hidden Lake alumni want to do a small holiday protest in santa hats to let the kids know people are thinking about them during the holidays?  I have a person in Atlanta who would consider putting one together!!!!!  You only need 4-5 people and a few hours to let them know they are not alone.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
quot;It will be found an unjust and unwise jealousy to deprive a man of his natural liberty upon the supposition he may abuse it.\"
                                        George Washington

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Holiday Protest
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 10:09:23 AM »
If you do, and can get more than just a handful of folks, give the Dahlonega Nugget advance notice.

Offline lorrispickelmire

• View Profile
Thanks
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 12:59:45 PM »
Will do, and we are aiming for small crowds, but it might intrigue them that the exact same protest is happening in 4 other states at that time. LOL  Right down to the last Santa Hat.
quot;It will be found an unjust and unwise jealousy to deprive a man of his natural liberty upon the supposition he may abuse it.\"
                                        George Washington

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Holiday Protest
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 03:28:28 PM »
The main campus is set far away from the entry into campus.  The kids will never see you.  And if they do, the minute you step foot onto campus you will be arrested for trespassing.

Offline jjpinks

• View Profile
Holiday Protest
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 04:17:09 PM »
I would love to join ya, but the anon poster above is right. The entrance drive to the main building is about a mile. There is no way in hell that anyone on that campus will see you.

Rent the Goodyear Blimp??? lol sorry.
quot;Of course life is bizarre, the more bizarre it gets, the more interesting it is. The only way to approach it is to make yourself some popcorn and enjoy the show.\"

I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don\'t always agree with them. - George Bush

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Holiday Protest
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 05:31:24 PM »
you're in luck....as far as the tresspassing thing goes.

hidden lake road is NOT owned by HLA. they own MOST of the property around the school, but not all of it.

this may have changed in the few years since i've graduated, but this may help. after you pass the staff townhouses on the right, before you get to the top of the hill where there is an intersection/the lodge, there is a gravel road on your left. A guy lives there, and from what i hear he's not too fond of HLA. i think they were involved in a few property disputes in the past.

so contact the guy, see if he's willing to let you stand at the foot of his driveway and protest. with a little negotiating, i'm sure he'll help out.

You can also contact the county or whatever agency keeps track of property boundaries, and find out exactly what hidden lake owns, and stand right outside.

keep in mind that it's a big campus, and they like to move kids around alot. they will probably take the kids somewhere as far away as possible from the protest, and keep them all hidden. they WILL resort to drastic measures. standing on that gravel road, you will see them anytime they need to go to the gym, take out trash, go to eat, or go down to the field. they will restrict kids from going there, or make them take detours around the lake or through the woods. they will bring the food all the way down to the lake from the lodge just to keep the kids away from you. this will cause a VERY, VERY shitty day for all the kids inside. they may even tell kids that if they so much as look at the protestors, they will be sent to restrictions/interventions/RCI. they kids will look, they will try to make contact, and that will only result in those kids being in a world of hurt over the holidays. no one wants to be on restrictions on the holidays, especially not ridge creek.

if you do happen to go, make sure you bring  megaphones/a PA, and lots and lots of really noisy stuff...maybe line up a few cars, crank up all the stereos and have them all play the same thing at the same time. even if they manage to keep the kids out of eyesight, they can still be in earshot.

if not to help the kids...
the protest will have another effect.
the staff wont be able to avoid the protest, even if you stand at the entrance to hidden lake road. it will shot them that shit aint all honky dory, and that people are actually paying attention now. people actually care enough now to come out here in the middle of winter and protest. that may make them reconsider their future at hidden lake. it may even cause someone to panic and spill all the beans to preemtively avoid punishment.

Offline timeandlove

• View Profile
Holiday Protest
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 06:46:12 PM »
Any idea what the current enrollment is at HLA?  I know that they just had a graduation last week, but don't know how many were in the group.
What is the remaining # of students?

Offline dishdutyfugitive

• View Profile
    • http://www.foxmovies.com/fightclub/
Holiday Protest
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2007, 07:08:31 PM »
I'd pay top dollar to see footage of that protest!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Holiday Protest
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2007, 07:32:43 PM »
Quote from: ""timeandlove""
What is the remaining # of students?

a safe estimate would be 50-70
it would also be safe to say there will be less than 20 kids on campus over christmas break.

Offline jjpinks

• View Profile
Holiday Protest
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2007, 09:26:41 PM »
I was there a few weeks ago and it didn't look like they had that many students (by the looks of all the empty rooms). You can drive into the property and when you get to the admissions building, make a right and you will be driving along the dorms. You can see right into the windows, most of which have open blinds because the rooms are vacant. But beware, there is no way out that way, you have to make a u-turn to get out. So don't do anything stupid on your way in if you go.
I remember seeing all of the townhouses on the right and the gravel/rock road on the left. But it looked like it belonged on the HLA property. Anyway, I will try to find out who owns that property, I am pretty close to Lumpkin County.

Also, if Hidden Lake Rd. is owned by the county and not HLA, (take a look at the link below) what are these buildings behind HLA and are they owned by HLA or privately owned. There is a possibility that there is more than one property owner that may be open to us coming out there.
Take a look at this aerial view of the property.
http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&ge ... &z=16&om=1
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 09:37:17 PM by Guest »
quot;Of course life is bizarre, the more bizarre it gets, the more interesting it is. The only way to approach it is to make yourself some popcorn and enjoy the show.\"

I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don\'t always agree with them. - George Bush

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
HLA property
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2007, 09:33:41 PM »
HLA owns the right side of the road starting from the top of the hill (first hill) and including the small cabin, duplex single family house and the 6 townhouses. I used to live in the house. But the road is county property until you cross the creek and go up the hill to the kitchen/dining hall building. That is why they were able to get the road paved, because they argued that it was not private property and it turns out it isnt. But once you get past the creek, they can have you arrested for trespassing if you are uninvited.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Holiday Protest
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2007, 09:43:24 PM »
the house up the hill from the gym is bucelato's

the only other house nearby is that guy off the gravel road's. the other sides are national forest.

Offline jjpinks

• View Profile
Holiday Protest
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2007, 09:59:57 PM »
Look at the sattelite image, go down Hidden Lake Rd past the main buildings, you will see a place where the forest is cleared behind the lake and it looks like there are some buildings or homes there. Are they a part of HLA too? Or are they privately owned?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Ridge Creek
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2007, 10:12:20 PM »
If you are seeing buildings to the left (northwest?) of the lake, that would be Ridge Creek, I think. Ive never actually seen the buildings for Ridge Creek, I moved away while it was being constructed, but from what I understand, its over on that side of the property.

Offline jjpinks

• View Profile
Holiday Protest
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2007, 10:16:08 PM »
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh ok. I was wondering where that was located on their property.