Author Topic: Summit stretches.  (Read 6467 times)

Offline stina

• View Profile
Captain Helloooooooo Kitty
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2007, 11:04:38 PM »
That's pretty fabulous. I think that you should size that down and make it your avatar.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
I used to be Snow White but I drifted.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ventage
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2007, 11:51:11 PM »
Quote from: "stina"
Quote from: ""try another castle""
I mean, fuck, man. I even *supported* in a Childrens.

Yeah, when you guys say supported does that mean you helped out like backroom style or did they actually let you help facilitate.

Because at my school, right before i graduated they actually let me facilitate with three other adults, big chair, etc., the "childrens propheet".

I remember it being kind of odd though because like half way through during the group part we were in the backroom and tim brace talked to me and he was like, "i don't understand why you don't just (paraphrasing) ream someone who is obviously full of shit; and i didn't really have an answer for him.  i'm not the give somebody shit type of person then or now.  i guess i get mad at people occasionally and certainly let them know it with a raised voice but i have to feel it you know.  thats the thing i hated so much about this stuff is because i wouldnt and wont do that unless i feel it.  And they always wanted us to trump up these sort of emotions.  fake it if you will; and that i never got then and still resent now because the faking it was the whole thing we were supposed to get mad at the other person over to begin with.

After graduation though we smoked ganja on graduation night and it got back to everyone at the school and i got letters and tidbits from those in the childrens propheet that i facilitated like "what happened, etc." and it was such a surreal thing because though i talked about definitely gonna be getting high when i left etc., there was still boundaries up until the very last day that you couldn't really make actual 'plans' to do something like that so you had to be sort of down low about your actual intentions while talking in groups about your 'fears' of getting high when you leave, meanwhile everybody knew we were gonna get high on grad night even though even amongst friends you couldn't come out and just say it that way, unless you wanted to not graduate.

damn, 12 years later and my stomach is still kind of in knots just kind of thinking about the bull shit stress of juggling all these personas and fronts.  And the whole thing they were trying to get us to do was be real and honest.   Grrrrrrr!!!

Another thing I remember was it got real crazy around school when somebody actually went beyond the boundaries of being too honest.  It was interesting because the staff never knew how to react.  Like it was always push push push to be brutually and completely honest with everything, and it worked 99% of the time.  But every once in a while somebody would say something really honest but so far over the line of what was socially accetable that even the staff would become uncomfortable and that was a real showstopper.  Like one time we had this guy, and i wasn't at the school yet (like a month or two before i got there), but a guy in group or a workshop said that he had thought about what it would be like to rape one of the girls.  Certainly a show stopper, and he got in trouble for it.  But it was so weird because it was like, be honest, but that was way too honest, so nobody knew how to react and it became cover your ass time for the staff.

anyways,  nice to sort of get this stuff out after so long.  not that i've been freaking about it or anything but still, i guess it still affects me when i think about it.  such intense experiences; and thats another thing i hate the most about this whole thing is that this bull shit happened when i was supposed to be dating girls and getting laid, etc., but instead i'm going through emotional clusterfuck in my prime teenage years (16,17,18).

Fuck that school.

Peace.

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
Summit stretches.
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2007, 12:12:12 AM »
To clarify, I was a support, not a student facilitator/big-chair/whatever. They didn't do that while I was there. When I heard about it for the first time, I was amazed. Students policing other students to the extreme.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: ventage
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2007, 07:04:47 AM »
Quote from: ""icomeanon""
thats the thing i hated so much about this stuff is because i wouldnt and wont do that unless i feel it. And they always wanted us to trump up these sort of emotions. fake it if you will; and that i never got then and still resent now because the faking it was the whole thing we were supposed to get mad at the other person over to begin with.

FAKE IT 'TIL YOU MAKE IT.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
fake it 'til you make it
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2007, 07:46:08 PM »
still havn't made it i guess. i guess i'll go and cry in my porridge.  just give me a minute to trump up some tears...

Offline bonnevillebarbie

• View Profile
Summit stretches.
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2008, 03:38:25 PM »
Quote from: ""stina""
And then didn't we have to get up and do it by ourselves for the whole group? Am I making that up?

Yeah, we did. Just like the contract exercise. And then when we got it "right", they crowd surfed us to "fame".

We were crowd surfed to the Rocky theme. God I remember being so jazzed about the whole thing. It took forever to get mine right though. I think I got up there over a dozen times.

I lucked out. I only had to do it once. When I told my dirty joke, it cracked Stacy up and she flipped on the stereo. (I was Annie Oakley)

If memory serves, the joke was "what can life savers do that a man can't? come in five different flavors."

I will say, however, that as someone who is a cum connoisseur, that is totally not true.

Ha ha .  i was also Annie Oakley, but cant remember my joke.  I do remember being so relieved that the humiliation was over and schadenfraude was up next.
MA grad 1992

Offline blownawaytheidahoway

• View Profile
where is the old old odd guard?
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2008, 03:50:56 PM »
I still haven't posted about the summit very much other than in generalities. It's going to be hard, after distracting myself with rewrites over two years, I'm finally going to be diving into the meat of the nine days of workshops called the I and Me and the Summit.

wish me luck all, and thanks for still being here, peeps.
-blown
Life is a very wonderful thing.\' said Dr. Branom... \'The processes of life, the make- up of the human organism, who can fully understand these miracles?... What is happening to you now is what should happen to any normal healthy human organism...You are being made sane, you are being made healthy.
     \'That I will not have, \' I said, \'nor can understand at all. What you\'ve been doing is to make me feel very very ill.\'
                         -Anthony Burgess
                      A Clockwork Orange

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
childrens script
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2008, 05:35:53 PM »
i wish i still had my script to the "childrens propheet".  I had it for a long, long time but I got robbed several years ago for my luggage outside the greyhound station in atlanta and that was one of the casualties.

those would be illuminating to have though after all these years.  there are specific scripts for ever workshop.  i wonder if my friend has them.  she went back to work at our school after going to college for quite a while and i bet she has scripts (maybe?).  she's kind of straight-edge though.

i remember the one i had being specific down to play this song for 2 hours while students write dirt lists, etc.

anyone got Scripts handy?

Offline AuntieEm2

• View Profile
Summit stretches.
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2008, 01:01:17 PM »
Castle wrote:
The cruelest of ironies is that, for the longest time, even fifteen years after being there, and even after knowing full well that the program was fucked up, I thought the costume party was the most fun part of the summit. Which isn't saying much, I know, but still way off-kilter to even think that.

Maybe it's because I'm a drama queen? One of the things I was most well known for as a child was my huge collection of costumes, which I would wear for no special occasion at all, except to be fabulous.

So yes, RMA excelled at doing a little bit of revisionist history when it came to childhood icons and passions.

Well the "be fabulous" part is working for you, Castle, but you would have been that with or without RMA.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you all were pretty starved for fun. As I read posts here, I am often struck by what pressure-cooker environment you were in. Your activities were controlled 24x7x365 with little or no down time, and lots of time spent on gloomy self-reflection. Where's the fun and self-exploration in that?

When I was kid, and my siblings and I would go whining to my mom that we were bored, she would tell us to "go outside and invite your soul." We groaned, at the time, but decades later I think that was one of the best things my mom ever did for me. I have read the daily schedule for todays' Boulder Creek Academy. Where is there time to invite your soul?

I'm all in favor of costume parties for fun and self-expression. But it looks like RMA delivered a pretty twisted version.

Auntie Em
Tough love is a hate group.
"I have sworn...eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Summit stretches.
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2008, 01:21:49 PM »
Amazing that BCA probably still does this crap all for the princely sum of 6900 bucks a month.

Good value for money spent, or not?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Summit stretches.
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2008, 01:41:51 PM »
Quote from: ""Mao Gookin""
Amazing that BCA probably still does this crap all for the princely sum of 6900 bucks a month.

It payed your salary, what do you care?!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Summit stretches.
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2008, 02:10:23 PM »
I worked at Eckerds and Three Springs, not BCA.

Offline AuntieEm2

• View Profile
Summit stretches.
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2008, 02:31:21 PM »
Mao Gookin wrote:

I have sent more people to the ER to get their jaws reattached when I tell them that the tuition at BCA is $83,000 a year. They can't believe it.

As I and others have noted here before, $6900 buys a lot of guilt relief and allows you to feel like a real martyr. ("It must be a great place--look at what I'm spending! Don't you feel sorry for us?" "Our daughter was having emotional problems and it was embarassing--poor us!" "We are sacrificing everything and no one can possibly understand what we are going through. Waaah!")

Auntie Em
Tough love is a hate group.
"I have sworn...eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson.