Author Topic: Atlanta Straight People  (Read 1016 times)

Offline shaggys

• View Profile
Atlanta Straight People
« on: June 04, 2009, 06:32:18 PM »
I was in Atlanta Straight from 83-85. Dennis Buttimer ran the place and was an absolute tyrant. I have seen some postings either defending Buttimer or denying his crimes. These people are obviously lying or still brainwashed cause I was there and I saw his reign of terror first hand. I was on 5th phase when he ordered the infamous "bathroom incident" in which children were physically abused for hours. Luckily I was not ordered to participate in those beatings cause I would have done anything i was told at that point. At least I don't have that guilt to deal with. The people who directly participated in this should just admit it all and be done with it. The main villain in all that happened there is Buttimer and those witches that ran the place with him. The rest of us were just children who were absolutely terrified. I witnessed so much abuse during my time there it would be hard to even begin to fully catalog it all. I am interested to see how some of the folks I was locked up with are doing now. If you were there send me a private message on this site and I will reply. I am Steve B. from Mississippi. I copped out on 5th phase and never looked back.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Atlanta Straight People
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 02:48:29 PM »
I was held at Straight in Atlanta from 1982-1984.  I was one of the kids taken to the bathroom and beaten.  There were 5 guys, 3 of which I believe were brothers, that took me to the bathroom.  Those 3 guys were huge and they looked like they were from Samoa.  They had come to the program directly from prison.  I can't remember how long they had me in there, but I know it was for hours.  They pushed, shoved, hit, kicked,screamed, cussed, and at one point, one of the brothers lifted me up off the floor by my throat and threw me to the ground.  All of this going on at the instructions of Mr Buttimer, who was in there the entire time.  He wanted me to say I was a druggie and then it would all stop.  I refused to say it and they continued to abuse me.  When it finally stopped, they had to carry me out.  I never did say it because it was never true.  I was one of the lucky siblings who got thrown in while interviewing to be able to see my older brother.  He had been kidnapped by my parents and their friends and brought to Straight about a month before.   I had smoked pot and drank on occasion, but in no uncertain terms was I a drug addict.  I readily admitted the times I had smoked pot and drank, because the times were so few, it wasn't that big of a deal (I thought!)  Little did I know how wrong I was.  The girl's interviewing me let me know I wasn't going anywhere.  Then the director, Mr Tilley and my parents came in to tell me that I was staying in the program.  I went ballistic...I started screaming, crying and begging my parents not to leave me, but I went unheard.  My parents had been told that if they didn't put me in the program, they would kick my brother out.  Well, that was that.  I was sacrificed for my brother sake.  Thus started my 2 1/2 year nightmare in that place.  I have rarely talked about my time there and have actually pushed it out of my mind every time I think of it.  That has worked fairly well up until now.  I was 16 years old when I was left there and 18 when I got out.  I am now 43 years old and have cried about this place for the past 4 days.  For some reason, it is impossible to ignore the "flashbacks" as I have been doing for so long.  I feel like a dark cloud has desended upon me and i can't get the memories out of my head.  I have seen a couselor for depression and for anxiety attacks, but I have never even told him about my time at Straight.  I have a very hard time talking about it.  This is the first time I have ever tried to contact anyone from Straight.    I appreciate you leaving a message.  I have been searching for Atlanta people the past few days, but there are not that many.  Please feel free to contact me.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 06:23:29 PM »
Quote from: "janetd"
Please feel free to contact me.

register a username it'll be easier for people to contact you if they're out there.......

Offline Botched Programming

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 02:50:34 PM »
Quote from: "janetd"
 Please feel free to contact me.

Hey Janet.... Glad you are starting to find people from our era in Straight. There are some here who share your feelings and the thing I would recommend is to try to digest this slowly as it can be overwhelming. Feel free to contact me anytime.

Botched Programming

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 10:43:10 PM »
Hey Alanta people and any one else for that matter, you guys need to contact http://www.ISACCorp.org and tell your story.  Were working  to expose straight with a large news paper, so your true stories are needed.    People need to know the long term effects that a person may suffer after their "recovery" ??
From a medical stand point of which speaks for it self.  Research in a nut shell.   Point being: Stright was one fucked up plan of operation that made matters a 100x"s worse.............to explain it in one shorter sentence