Author Topic: Buddy can you spare a dime?  (Read 1071 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Buddy can you spare a dime?
« on: December 11, 2007, 09:47:57 AM »

"A montage of depression-era images and covers of this iconic song, written by my friend Daniel Gorney's dad, Jay Gorney"
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 12:52:22 PM »
Brilliant concept.

We don't hear many accounts of the Depression victims being viewed as "lazy" when they were begging for change and lining up for food.

Now, we have people out of work who built McMansions and condos - and the old codgers now living in them are in denial that anything is wrong with the economy, and anyone experiencing poverty is doing so by choice.

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 01:02:29 PM »
"And the suburban scumbags, they don't care..
They just get fat and dye their hair!"

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 02:02:56 PM »
That clip was submitted by YouTube user blaineleslie, otherwise known in real life as Blaine Reininger.  From his description of himself on YouTube:
    Name:
blaine

Blaine L. Reininger is an American composer born in 1953 in Pueblo, Colorado. Having studied violin from age 9 guitar from age 11 and music theory and composition through high school and into college, he left Colorado in 1976 for San Francisco. There, in 1977, as a consequence of his studies in electronic music at San Francisco City College, he started the legendary American cult band Tuxedomoon together with classmate Steven Brown.

In 1981, Reininger and the group left America to practice their art in Europe. Over the course of the next 26 years, many artistic collaborations took place and many cd's were recorded. These collaborations, while mostly musical in nature, often moved into other fields such as dance, theatre, and film.

Reininger continues to live and work in Europe, having lived in Athens, Greece since 1998.

City: Athens
Hometown: Pueblo, Colorado, USA

-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 10:37:31 AM »
Tuxedomoon were cool, I remember them. Obviously, or I wouldn't have thought they were cool. I wasn't on that scene or anything, but I listened to their records, at least a couple of them... They were right out there with The Residents... Both bands were from S.F..