Author Topic: Penikese Island School  (Read 1494 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Penikese Island School
« on: December 07, 2007, 09:01:44 AM »
a friend of my son's might be headed there. does anyone know anything about it?

are all programs bad?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Penikese Island School
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 09:15:51 AM »
No, they are all good. Each and every last one of them.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Penikese Island School
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 10:54:55 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
No, they are all good. Each and every last one of them.

Trolling Fornits is still like pissing in an ocean of bleach.

From their own website I can easily tell it's the same kind of hellhole as we usually discuss. I strongly recommend you find this boy's parents and point them towards ISAC, especially their warning signs checklist.

As students progress,  they are slowly reintroduced to life with their families and communities through strict home pass contracts

After an initial six-week period acclimating on the island, students are eligible for twice monthly contracted home passes that are awarded on a merit basis.

Penikese Island School has no household electricity and minimal indoor plumbing. Its buildings are heated with firewood the students chop themselves and kerosene lanterns provide light at night.

Hey, I have an idea! Let's put your kid in a hellhole with other, potentially far more violent and deranged, kids who have ready, constant access to FIRE!

Of Penikese's graduates from the last 5 years, about 40% have been re-arrested during their first 12-24 months after graduation.

:lol:

It costs about $60,000 in tuition to send a boy to Penikese for the average nine-month stay

If they can't help that boy with sixty thousand dollars in a way that might actually work, they ought to just give this whole 'parenting' thing a miss.

I don't follow the people so I don't know which shitpits the staff have been in before. Hey Fornits, recognize anyone?

Chairperson
Gerald Holtz

Vice Chairperson
Edward Doyle

Executive Director
Toby T. Lineaweaver

Treasurer
James Lloyd

Clerk
Barbara Marcks

Directors
Richard Backus, Ph.D Robert Fleming, Ph.D. Michael Foley, Esq. Derek  McDonald Shirley McIntire Polly Kisiel T. Richardson Miner Laurie Raymond George Schwartz Philip Stanton, Ph.D.

Associates
Eric Asendorf Martha Asendorf John Austin Toby Baker John Bullard Bruce Buxton Beth Campanella Chris Chiofaro Don Chiofaro Andrew Clark Jim Clark Peter Clark Ben Coffin Peter Connolly Susan Connolly Werner Deuser Dennis Dinan Dick Edwards Chuck First Mary Pat Flynn John Fowler
Dick Friedman Seth Garfield Craig Gibson Fred Greenman Pennie Hare
Bob Hassey Jim Hinkle Jennifer Huntington Carol Kenney Meg Lilly Richard King Winnie Mackey John Mendelsohn, M.D. John Moore Ahmed Mustafa Jim Newman Ginny Nicholas Joel Peterson Otto Reber Marge Salmon Brian Shacter Dick Simmons Myles Slosberg Steve Snyder Tom Stetson
Jay Stroud Jane Tatlock Frederica Valois Rev. Deborah Warner

Offline Covergaard

• View Profile
    • http://www.carstenovergaard.dk
For some it could work
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 11:05:59 AM »
The student has to agree to go in order to go. That is good.

But in order to be considered they must have their back against the wall. I have been reading their student handbook.

They speak of an "else-if", which all students has to have before they can be considered. Such an "else-if" could be a court order but not always.

The staff need to have some else handy than restraining the student. What could you say if the staff said "Calm down or it is the juvenile hall." or "Calm down or it is Tranquility Bay".

It is a good program because the first homevisit could be within 30 days. The dark side is that the home visit is probation where all those errors you make will cost you when you return to the Island.

Education is the old America. It is the one-room school where all are educated in one room regardless of their standard. It worked 100 years ago. Does it work today?

They speak very fairly about rewards and punishments in their Student Handbook. They also acknowledge that the program is a bad medicated students because of the remote location. If you become sick, dont bother but zip the bodybag from inside.

Worse programs are seen. At least the student can learn of the remote place before being shipped off. They can read the student handbook before arriving.

It does not make it a bad program if they stick to their belief and dont take a student due to the founds.

But .... Would you go to such a place if there was not an "Else-if"?

Try to answer this?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Penikese Island School
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 11:19:40 AM »
It's been said before, it needs to be said again:

If the choice is between juvenile hall and a place like this, CHOOSE JUVIE.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
You dont run from this place
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 11:33:46 AM »
Google maps

And for juvie - some are worse than other. Some are boot camps where children dies, as they do in private programs. Some are lock-ups with 23 hours in isolation and abusive guards who kills the spirit of the teenagers rather than giving them skills so they dont come back.

I am not saying that this program is good. But do juvies have a handbook you can read before going in? Can you choose one juvie rather than another?