Author Topic: Prank calls lead to shock treatment  (Read 2173 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Prank calls lead to shock treatment
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2007, 06:26:29 PM »
The GED device is, if I remember correctly, 10x more powerful than the SIBIS (what JRC originally used back in the 1980s) in terms of shock delivery.  The reason JRC manufactures the GED themselves is because the company that manufactures the SIBIS refused to "upgrade" their device to JRC's "specifications."

Is the FDA aware that JRC puts as many as five (5) electrodes in place per student, making the potential total shock as much as 50x more powerful than the SIBIS?  And that JRC also manufactures another device called the GED4, which is 4x more powerful than the original GED, making the potential resultant shock as much as 200x more powerful than the SIBIS?

JRC exhorts their staff NOT to start out with the least effective dose and aim to ramp up, but to start out with the highest allowable dose since it is considered most effective in deterring future misbehaviors...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2007, 06:29:14 PM »
Hey Ursus can you set this all up in some sort of presentation format so I can have the techno maven for the YLF post it ASAP?

You seem to have a better understanding of this situation than myself. Frankly the less I know the better I sleep at night in this regard.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2007, 06:46:59 PM »
Quote from: ""Che Gookin""
Hey Ursus can you set this all up in some sort of presentation format so I can have the techno maven for the YLF post it ASAP?

Lols, you know I suck at seeing the forest sometimes; I'm usually better at focusing on the trees.  But, then again, this place has been intermittently on my radar for a while...  Give me a better idea as to what you mean by "presentation."  Are you talking about a couple of explanatory paragraphs to clue in the novice reader who is unaware of JRC?

Aside:  the site www.effectivetreatment.org and the Geocities site mentioned in at least one article as being additional sources of more information, all direct you back to the JRC site when you click on them.  It would appear that interest in and support for the use of skin shock aversive "therapy" is a great deal less espoused by the general public than a casual observer might presume.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2007, 07:11:02 PM »
Arrange the material in a manner so that the casual internet user can understand it quickly and easily.

Remember what I said about bite size chunks?

Very applicable here..

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Parents Defend School’s Use of Shock Therapy
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2007, 02:44:39 AM »
yesterday's New York Times article

Nearly a year ago, New York made plans to ban the use of electric shocks as a punishment for bad behavior, a therapy used at a Massachusetts school where New York State had long sent some of its most challenging special education students.

But state officials trying to limit New York’s association with the school, the Judge Rotenberg Educational Center in Canton, southwest of Boston, and its “aversive therapyâ€