Author Topic: "Finishing schools" for 18-24 year olds  (Read 7064 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
"Finishing schools" for 18-24 year olds
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2007, 08:23:44 PM »
Quote from: ""AuntieEm2""
The other students decide if you graduate or get a certificate? "Character" features prominently in the decision to grant or withhold a diploma?

Madness, utter madness.

Auntie Em

I think it's called "how to win friends and breed sheep successfully," or something along those lines...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2007, 05:29:34 AM »
re: the SATs. I think it depends on the school. I know that once  RMA was legitimately accredited, we actually had SATs on campus.

Should parents have to have a license to have children. ??? I often wonder ...

I used to say yes on this but now I would emphatically say NO NO NO!

Why? Government has no place in family. Who would determine who is fit to parent and not, and what would their criteria be? Answer: the criteria would reflect the ideology of the ruling party. Either way, regardless of what party is in charge, I would never ever be able to have and raise children if our country had a licensing system. Ultimately, that is fine by me, because I don't want children. But there might be people like me who do, and if so, it is none of the government's business.

It is one thing for the authorities to get involved when abuse is occurring, it's another to get involved because they think something *might* happen. i.e. they *might* turn into abusive parents.

I've found that it's not a good idea to go after someone just because of something we think they *might* do. Fuck, that's the story we were fed about why we are in Iraq. He might do something with stuff that he may or may not have.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2007, 05:56:34 AM »
Governments stop a lot of things that "might" happen. It stops people with police records and mental illness from legally acquiring firearms. It stops sexual predators from approaching schools and playgrounds. You have to take into consideration the history of the persons concerned. Same with Saddam and countries, for that matter.

Outlawing convicted child abusers from having kids might not be such a bad idea.

Offline AuntieEm2

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2007, 10:45:15 AM »
So anyone else have experience with a program for 18-24 year olds?

Auntie Em
Tough love is a hate group.
"I have sworn...eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson.

Offline AuntieEm2

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2007, 11:19:44 AM »
Society is never going to issue a license to have children, of course, but one sensible middle ground would be for parenting classes to be required in high school.

Auntie Em
"I have sworn...eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2007, 11:26:06 AM »
I'd bet parenting classes would be mollified into uselessness in much the same way sex ed turned into abstinence education.

Honestly whose gonna tell teenagers to be abstinent and not even mention the word masturbation?  :rofl:
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2007, 11:29:06 AM »
Quote from: ""Nihilanthic""
I'd bet parenting classes would be mollified into uselessness in much the same way sex ed turned into abstinence education.

Honestly whose gonna tell teenagers to be abstinent and not even mention the word masturbation?  :rofl:

I was having the same thoughts. Where does the law stand on convicted child abusers having additional children?

Offline AuntieEm2

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2007, 11:35:03 AM »
Depends on the state and the case. Child protective services can, in certain circumstances, take children away from known offenders.

Auntie Em

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2007, 11:40:12 AM »
Quote from: ""AuntieEm2""
Depends on the state and the case. Child protective services can, in certain circumstances, take children away from known offenders.

Auntie Em

What about a childless couple convicted of abusing other children, contemplating having kids of their own?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2007, 11:41:37 AM »
i think it's wrong for the govt to control weather or not someone can have kids, or is allowed to continue taking care of their existing kids.

sure, it's would be fucked up for a molester to have kids.

but keep in mind, CPS likes to take away kids from POTHEADS. if you are convicted of a minor marijuana offense, they can theoretically take your kids away in most states. Kids have been taken away by the feds from state authorized medical marijuana patients, and gay people, too.

if you allow the goverment to control who has kids, they might decide to start sterilizing people upon recieving a ticket for marijuana.

Offline dishdutyfugitive

• View Profile
    • http://www.foxmovies.com/fightclub/
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2007, 11:59:27 AM »
I agree that anything the government touches turns to shit. I don't want them babysitting me in any form.

Yet, I still think that 75% of people driving on the road have no business doing so.  And I think at least 25% of parents are unfit to have kids. Another 25% are unfit parents about 49% of the time.

Having kids when you don't have your shit together is a joke. Having kids so you can 'be like everyone else'.

I do subscribe 100% to Darwin so the bottom line is we are just another clump of organic matter desperately trying to preserve our brand of DNA.
Millions of years of evolution can't be changed without a timemachine or an alien abduction.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2007, 12:17:20 PM »
Quote from: ""dishdutyfugitive""
I agree that anything the government touches turns to shit. I don't want them babysitting me in any form.

Yet, I still think that 75% of people driving on the road have no business doing so.  And I think at least 25% of parents are unfit to have kids. Another 25% are unfit parents about 49% of the time.

Having kids when you don't have your shit together is a joke. Having kids so you can 'be like everyone else'.

I do subscribe 100% to Darwin so the bottom line is we are just another clump of organic matter desperately trying to preserve our brand of DNA.
Millions of years of evolution can't be changed without a timemachine or an alien abduction.

In other words, no government controls on childbearing, because then too high a percentage of people would not be allowed to have kids.

Maybe, but what about the real bad news cases, the ticking timebombs, the ones about whom you can say the risk of serious abuse is way too high and their past crimes way too heinous?

I ask because I think the question is of relevance to the troubled teen industry.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2007, 01:08:54 PM »
the problem is who is to decide what is henious? if you let the goverment decide, you never know what they will brand as henious. to some, murder and child rape are henious. to others, they might want to include child abuse. others (keep in mind, in this country, this is alot of people), may decide that homosexuals shouldnt be allowed to have kids, or that people with a history of drug abuse cant have kids.

we cant have that, because once a precedent has been set, there are not limits to where it can go. one day it's sterilizing murderers, then before you know it two years later people with low I.Qs, druggies, homos, and overly promiscus people will be gettting sterilized.

what WOULD be legitimate, would be this:
if one wishes to have a baby, they must get a license. This is FREE, but the parents must attend classes, pass tests, and have inspections of their households. think of the movie "license to wed". this would also involve community service involving kids (e.g "big brothers" thing, or spending time with a much younger relative could also count), along with backround checks.  
If one wishes to Opt out of getting a license, or simply cant pass the test, they may still have kids. exept they would be heavily taxed for every child. the kid would also be inelligible to attend public school, and inelligible for any form of insurance. If one is unable to take care of a child at that point, after taxes and everything, the kid is taken away, and the parents jailed for tax evasion.

this would ensure that if one has kids, they better be able to take care of them. If they seem to think they can, but are really just sheep and fuck their kids up, and cant take care of them, the kids get help and the parents are punished.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2007, 01:12:21 PM »
YEs - I'm definitely pro-castration for sick fucks.

That's the problem the government. They interfere with natural selection. If some pedophile got a hold of some kids and the village found out about it they would beat to death in town square. That's the natural  order of things. The government doesn't want  you doing that because it instills true independence in the people and they fear they will one day be ursurped by the masses.

People in control with all the toys aren't going to risk losing it.

Our country is crawling with pedophiles. They get a slap on the wrist. Fucking joke that we all need to be babysat and have a bunch of selfish empty souls thinking for us and defining morality.

Offline dishdutyfugitive

• View Profile
    • http://www.foxmovies.com/fightclub/
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2007, 01:24:45 PM »
That previous post was me dishduty