Author Topic: Utah most depressed state, report says  (Read 2203 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Utah most depressed state, report says
« on: November 29, 2007, 01:15:02 PM »
Gee, whodda thunk?

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_7587389

Report says Utah most depressed state in U.S.
By Kirstin Stewart
The Salt Lake Tribune
Article Last Updated: 11/29/2007 01:16:52 AM MST

Utah is the most depressed state in the country, according to a national analysis released Wednesday by mental health care advocates who urge better access to care. The report card by Mental Health America was funded by Wyeth Pharmaceuticals and draws together federal health data. Utah ranked 51st for its "depression status," based on national surveys conducted by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.

In 2004 and 2005, slightly more than 10 percent of adults and adolescents in Utah reported they had a major depressive episode.

In 2004, Utah reported 377 deaths by suicide. That number, adjusted for age and population, ranked it 45th in the nation, the report said. An average of 315 Utahns die by suicide each year.

Utah launched a five-year suicide prevention plan in May, an effort that focuses on raising awareness through ads and providing support groups.

Lawmakers last year also invested $2.7 million to treat mentally ill Utahns who are too poor to afford health insurance but earn too much to qualify for Medicaid.

But the report suggests more can be done to improve access to care, noting that barriers to treatment are "significantly associated" with high rates of depression.

The cost of care doesn't appear to be a problem in Utah, with near average per capita spending on mental health.

But Utah has the highest percentage of people reporting unmet mental health needs, according to the federal surveys. The state also ranks 44th for its shortage of outpatient clinics, and 42nd for its shortage of psychiatrists.

Mental Health America, formerly known as the National Mental Health Association, is a nonprofit organization dedicated to helping people live mentally healthier lives.

"Ranking America's Mental Health: An Analysis of Depression Across the States" is available at www.mentalhealthamerica.net.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 01:54:39 PM »
Considering so many Utahans are on anti-depressants and still depressed, I am inclined to think the problem has more to do with being forced to breed kids by the dozens AND attend ward meetings and temple services every Sunday giving praise to a false prophet, not to mention 10 percent of their earnings.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 04:24:49 PM »
JEEZZZ just being a young Mormon girl / woman in some of those sects and being forced to marry old men, and wear those god/awful clothes is enough to depress anyone!

Offline dishdutyfugitive

• View Profile
    • http://www.foxmovies.com/fightclub/
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 04:55:30 PM »
More than Alaska?

Excellent book on the insanity of Mormons. Same guy who wrote "Into thin air"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under_the_ ... lent_Faith

Offline SevenVeils

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 02:06:40 PM »
You'd be depressed too if all you had to drink was watered down beer and Mormon fundamentalists as your state representatives.
ohnny, my love, get out of the business
It makes me wanna rough you up so badly
Makes me wanna roll you up in plastic
Toss you up and pump you full of lead

Johnny, my love, get out of the business
The odds are getting fatter by the minute
That I have got a bright and shiny platter
And I am gonna get your heavy head

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 02:52:26 PM »
In 2004, Utah reported 377 deaths by suicide. That number, adjusted for age and population, ranked it 45th in the nation, the report said. An average of 315 Utahns die by suicide each year.

Wonder what the statistics would be for suicide rates of people exposed to Utah, e.g., via a stay at one of their fine institutions of behavior mod?
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline AuntieEm2

• View Profile
Mental health report card by state
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 03:36:35 PM »
Another organization, the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI), has issued a state-by-state report card for mental health. Utah gets a D. Idaho gets an F.

Isn't that special...

http://http://www.nami.org/template.cfm?template=/contentManagement/contentDisplay.cfm&contentID=31181

Auntie Em
Tough love is a hate group.
"I have sworn...eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson.

Offline dishdutyfugitive

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 05:44:48 PM »
I lived in salt lake for 10 months in 1991. Beautiful place - but the mormons - they definitely know how to ruin a great thing.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2007, 05:48:49 PM »
Quote from: ""dishdutyfugitive""
More than Alaska?

Excellent book on the insanity of Mormons. Same guy who wrote "Into thin air"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under_the_ ... lent_Faith

Damn good book.... Bunch of wierdos them Mormons.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 09:00:39 PM »
c'mon now.  not fair statements.  i grew up in a mormon household although not in utah, and no one is "forced" to do anything.  i am not mormon, but i  have witnessed many kind acts.  i have seen the people and the church support people after a fire and i have also witnessed them pay a mortgage after a job loss.  i have also witnessed a person use the mormon religion to lure an unsuspecting, trusting parent into a 'program'.  

FYI, the FLDS church (fundamentalist) are the freaks who marry off young girls to old men and boot the young boys out of town.  They are not a part of the "church."  i do believe that takes place near st george, utah..     ...im just sayn...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
number 51 out of 50??
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 09:36:36 PM »
SUPER STORY --- GREAT STATS.  Wasn't ranking #1 being high score in most things.  So how does #51 among the states (of which I last ocunted only 50) rank???  Also, how does one "adjust" statistics "for age and population"???

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2007, 03:01:26 AM »
They're counting the District of Columbia as a state.

Offline dishdutyfugitive

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2007, 09:54:13 PM »
have you read the book "under the banner of heaven"  ?

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2007, 10:13:17 PM »
Quote from: ""dishdutyfugitive""
have you read the book "under the banner of heaven"  ?

Have you read that?  That was brilliant!!  The way Krakauer exposed the thoughts of these fundamentalists like Dan Lafferty and how violence breeds itself from religion … it is an excellent insight on how these people think and how they are eerily similar to the present day Islamic terrorists.  I don’t know much about the Mormons, but the way he showed how Mormon fundamentalists can distort the faith and make people conform to one persons interpretation like that street preacher who kidnapped 14-year-old Elizabeth Smart and forced her to ''marry'' him … that guy was an independent break away from the Mormons.  

There was a lot about the book I liked, but that very connection was compelling to me.
Good stuff

…

Offline dishdutyfugitive

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2007, 01:41:18 PM »
I recommend that everyone read that book.

As far as I'm concerned...

Mormon fundamentalists are 'true' mormons.

Modern day mormons are afraid of 'rocking the boat'. The last time they did we sent the military to Utah. Since then they've been obedient. I think I might have more respect for Fundamentalist mormons then modern day mormons. I've got more respect for a 'purist' then a flip flopper.

When it comes to religion there are 4 types of people:

1. Athesists: Don't believe that burning bushes talked and water turned into wine.

2. 7-11's: They're all about convenience. They pick and choose what they like about religion. Turn a blind eye to the unbelievable amount of shennanigans regarding organized religion over the last few thousand years. Kind of like program parents who believe.

3. Fundies: Crazy people who after conversing with non-existent floating entities tell other people what the new rules are - "give me your daughter God says I need 17 wives".

4. Soapbox fundies: Aka the christian right. They do 'USA Today's' version of Fundies. Watered down, politicaly motivated, 'do gooder' fundies hell bent on merging church and state. Ned fucking Flanders people.

I believe in God or something similar but I don't believe in man's manifestation of him. Organized religion is a joke. If there's one thing 'man' has fucked up it's our interpretation of life/death and our place in the universe