Author Topic: Roloffs  (Read 59569 times)

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Roloffs
« on: November 26, 2007, 06:11:12 PM »
Yo Homies.. Give me the 411 about this duckfarm!

1) Is this a single facility or multiple facilities under the same name?

2) Who owns it?

3) When did it open?

4) Where is it located?

5) When did you attend?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline lorrispickelmire

• View Profile
The History of the Roloff Shitpits
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 12:15:09 AM »
The names of the Roloff homes that I can definitely connect to Roloff Evangelistic Enterprises are as follows:
Bethesda Home (Girls), Rebekah Home (Girls), Redemption Ranch (Boys), Anchor Home (Boys), Ruth Home of Compassion (Girls), Lighthouse (16-24 young men), Lighthouse Intercoastal (16-24 young men), Jubalee (17 and up women), City of Refuge (Older Men), New Beginnings (Pace,FL), New Beginnings (MO), Happiness Hills (Girls), Mt. Park, VCA  there are at least 5 more homes currently in operation that I have not been able to get the names of.  

Roloff Homes were started in the late 50's by Lester Roloff and originally were of no cost to the parents of the children housed there.  Bethesda and Rebekah were used not only as girls homes, but as maternity homes, and the babies were taken from these girls and sold for generous "Love Messages" to Roloff supporters.  The only way a girl was allowed to keep her child was if the child was of mixed race.  

The first time Roloff got in trouble with the state of Texas was in 1971 when the Department of Public Welfare sent him a letter demanding that the enterprises either have the Rebekah and Anchor homes licensed, which meant conforming to the department's largely secular regulations, or close them down. Roloff and his associates staunchly opposed the agency's order, considering it a clear case of breach of church-state separation. The controversy resulted in charges of neglect and brutality, attacks by the Corpus Christi Caller-Timesqv and other Texas newspapers, weeks and months of counseling with attorneys, appearances in court, and numerous meetings with officials in Austin. Through it all, Roloff and his supporters stood firm in his belief that "love never overrides conviction," and many young lives continued to be salvaged through the Rebekah and Anchor Homes. Finally, Roloff reluctantly allowed the homes to be closed temporarily in October 1973, but on February 12, 1974, he allowed himself to be incarcerated for five days in the Nueces County Jail, where he had often preached to prisoners, in a successful move to reopen the homes. Finally, Roloff was granted a temporary reprieve in May, when the Texas Supreme Court ruled in his favor. With the passage of the Texas Child Care and Licensing Act in 1975, however, the conflict surfaced anew. This legislative bill, which many believed had been aimed specifically at Roloff Enterprises, became law in January 1976. It stated that children under eighteen must be placed in child-care facilities licensed by the DHS. Roloff and his supporters again refused to back down, and despite favorable reports on the facilities by Attorney General John Hill and state welfare inspectors, the DHS served a restraining order in May 1976. On June 21 Roloff again went to jail, again for five days, in an effort to keep the homes open. Then in October, the homes were again shut down and many of their residents taken by police to the Texas Youth Prison and other state juvenile facilities. But public support for Roloff Enterprises continued to grow, and the homes were opened throughout most of 1977 and 1978. On November 1, 1977, Roloff and his associates staged a patriotic rally in Dallas called "Save Our Nation," which was attended by over 10,000 people, including 1,500 preachers. Acting on the advice of Hill and other attorneys, Roloff took his case to the United States Supreme Court, which upheld the Texas law on October 2, 1978. Again, the state ordered Roloff to shut down the homes unless he submitted to a DHS license in June 1979. Rather than allow the young residents to be taken to state facilities, Roloff had them sent to the ministry's homes in Georgia and Mississippi. As part of that move, he and his supporters staged a protest rally on the grounds of the People's Baptist Church, attended by many prominent evangelists and concerned laypeople from across the nation, including Vietnam veteran Clebe McClary. This event became known as the "Christian Alamo." At that time Roloff Enterprises transferred ownership and operation of the homes and property to the People's Church, a move that enabled the homes to be opened once more in September. Although state officials continued to harass Roloff, prompting court appearances in Corpus Christi, Laredo, and Austin, thousands of troubled youth were again ministered to in the Rebekah and Anchor Homes.

In 1982 the plane Roloff flew crashed killing him and the four girls from Rebekah Home onboard.  Wiley Cameron took over as Pastor of the Peoples Baptist Church and overseer of all the homes and properties.  In 1985 once again the homes were closed down by the DHS and we (yes, I was there at this point) were bussed out in the middle of the night to Belton, Missouri.  The homes in Texas remained closed until 1999 when TACCCA gave the homes accredidation as Christian Schools.

In 2001 the Texas homes were closed down and Pastor Wiley Cameron Sr.'s wife was told she could never work with children in the state of Texas again because of abuse.  

I will tell you more later, but I have to quit now, I just found 4 more names of homes with varified connections on ISAC.

http://www.atheists.org/flash.line/texas2.htm
http://www.atheists.org/flash.line/texas3.htm
http://www.tfn.org/religiousfreedom/faithbased/roloff/
http://www.isaccorp.org/vca/lester-roloff.11.17.02.html
quot;It will be found an unjust and unwise jealousy to deprive a man of his natural liberty upon the supposition he may abuse it.\"
                                        George Washington

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Roloffs
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 12:45:58 AM »
I think an important question TSW didn't directly ask is if there are any Roloff-connected shitpits left in existence.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Roloffs
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 01:00:07 AM »
Good question... Are there any of the Roloff Facilities left in existence?

Did the facilities in general have the same common model of treatment/mistreament?

Offline lorrispickelmire

• View Profile
Roloff Still going Strong
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 01:13:57 AM »
Yes, Unfortunately there are at least 9 still in existance.  One of which is a maternity home that does not allow the girls to keep their babies.  It is located in Tennessee, but I do not have the name.  It is connected to the VCA home which is also up and running, but maternity home does not go by VCA.  New Beginnings in Missouri is still running.  Happiness Hills is still operating, there are two girls homes and a boys home in North Carolina that I dont have the names of.  Mt. Park is still open, along with Palm Lane, Agape, and Bethel Academy.
quot;It will be found an unjust and unwise jealousy to deprive a man of his natural liberty upon the supposition he may abuse it.\"
                                        George Washington

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Roloffs
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 01:25:28 AM »
In that case let me revise my question:

Do the facilities utilize a common methodology of treatment/mistreatment?

Offline lorrispickelmire

• View Profile
treatment/mistreatment
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 02:08:48 AM »
The old ones all did, I do not know about some of the newer ones, but I would venture to say they still do.  They are based on what they call biblical dicipline, what they really mean is that they believe in the scripture that says, "spare the rod, spoil the child."  They believe in breaking the childs spirit, but not to build it back up, to create a mindless zombie that will follow the rules of the fundamental Baptist belief system without question.  Roloff was a God to the people who ran and are still running these homes.  When you first come in to the program if they find out you have been abused or molested they tell you it is completely your fault and to never speak of it again.  Newcomers are threatened with paddlings known as licks for offenses such as crying.  They keep a very strict schedule, and at least an hour each day is spent quoting the same 27 chapters of the King James version of the bible aloud (chanting), I still can quote them from memory 21 years later.  Licks are a multiple times a week occurance for most.  Other forms of punishment include kneeling for hours at a time (sometimes on salt or with a pencil under each knee), sitting on the wall (stress position), holding bible straight out to your sides two or three in each hand, confinement (having to walk around with your head down and raise your hand and be given permission to speak), and lockup (isolation).  They have also been known to withhold food, but I am not sure this is a punishment, because the food was horrible.  During the time I was there we had a diabetic girl go into shock and nearly die.  One staff member with a conscience snuck her out to the hospital.  We were not allowed medical treatment of any kind.  Contact with parents was not allowed for first month, then consisted of letters which were read coming and going, and permanent marker was used to black out anything deemed inappropriate.  One 2 day visit at 6 months in program, and another when you reached 1 year.  Phonecalls once per month that were monitored and disconnected if deemed inappropriate.  You were taught to stand and give your testiphony on demand or face punishment for rebelliousness.  No music was allowed, no books except for the bible, no tv, no makeup, no pants on girls, no haircuts or jewelry on girls.  Fat girls were not fed, anorexic girls were force fed.  Girls were forced to do things like brush their teeth for hours as a punishment for asking more than once for a new toothbrush.  Then there were the flat out beatings if the dorm parents found you rebellious.  I don't know if this is what you were looking for, I am sorry it got away from me.
                                        George Washington

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Roloffs
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 05:08:58 PM »
Did they ever use extended prayer sessions as a punishment?

Offline lorrispickelmire

• View Profile
Prayer Sessions
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 05:21:01 PM »
If you were unfortunate enough to be placed in lockup, the dorm father would come up every evening with paddle in hand, and pray with you for a long time, if you were found to be repentent enough, you were let out, if not you were given 20+ licks, left a peanut butter on bread sandwich and remained in lockup to reflect for another day.  This could go on for weeks.  A board with holes in it used on a person everyday for weeks will leave your rearend looking more like hamburger than a human butt.  If you were dumb enough to dodge a few licks, the paddle was brandished more like a bat, and you ended up with more severe injuries.
                                        George Washington

Offline lorrispickelmire

• View Profile
Personal Experience
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 05:28:59 PM »
I want to clarify, I now have a list of 20 Roloff related facilities, and I was only in one of these various homes, so cannot really speak for all, but I belong to groups for survivors of several of them and most of the stories are the same.  I speak of the lockup experience as well as other punishments from personal experience.  I understand there are people who were in the homes that do not believe, feel, or remember things the same way that I do, but I am also well aware of the brainwashing that took place even during our sleep, and am not suprised that some have come out with much different stories.
                                        George Washington

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Roloffs
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 07:38:46 PM »
I'm getting the point in general that Roloff's is a sadistic  den of torture. meh..

Ok let's break this down by specific facilities and get the ball rolling..

Can someone post a list of facility names for the Roloff's? I'm sure you mentioned them all but my brain is tofu at the moment.

Offline lorrispickelmire

• View Profile
Roloff and Roloff Related Homes
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 10:05:27 PM »
1. Bethesda (Girls)
2. Redemption Ranch (Boys)
3. Rebekah (Girls)
4. Anchor (Boys)
5. Ruth Home of Compassion (Girls)
6. Lighthouse (young men)
7. Lighthouse Intercoastal (young men and boys)
8. Zapata
9. Jubilee (young women)
10. City of Refuge (men)
11. Mt. Park (Boys)
12. Palm Lane (Girls)
13. Happiness Hills
14. Bethel Boys Academy
15. Bethel Girls Academy
16. Agape Boarding School
17. New Beginnings Pace, FL (Girls)
18. New Beginnings MO (Girls)
19. VCA (Girls)
20. Thanks to Calvary Boarding School (Seperate Dorms for Boys and Girls?)

There are others, I am sorry I don't have the full list, but I find new ones all the time.  I know of four more that I have basic locations for, but no names.
                                        George Washington

Offline hurrikayne

• View Profile
Re: Roloffs
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2007, 10:53:37 PM »
Quote from: ""Che Gookin""
Yo Homies.. Give me the 411 about this duckfarm!

1) Is this a single facility or multiple facilities under the same name?

2) Who owns it?

3) When did it open?

4) Where is it located?

5) When did you attend?

Lorrie's done a hell of a job explaining so much already.  

1 - 4. Multiple, as described in prior posts...

5.  I attended the People's Baptist Church Christian School from September 1987 to May 1988.  Initially I went to live on the farm compound in the Corpus area with 5 other girls.  We had an older couple who were in charge of us.  Rebekah was shutdown by the state of Texas at the time, and the girls who had been in Rebekah at the time had been secreted of to Bethesda in Missouri.
"Motivation is everything. You can do the work of two people, but you can\'t be two people. Instead, you have to inspire the next guy down the line and get him to inspire his people. " - Lee Iacocca

Offline hurrikayne

• View Profile
Roloff's
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2007, 11:01:02 PM »
Quote from: ""Che Gookin""
Good question... Are there any of the Roloff Facilities left in existence?

Did the facilities in general have the same common model of treatment/mistreament?

I later was caught sneaking out and ultimately ended up in Jubilee.  Like Lorrie, I have other acquaintances who have been in the various programs of the Roloff regime at varying times, the model of treatment/mistreatment is VERY similar.
"Motivation is everything. You can do the work of two people, but you can\'t be two people. Instead, you have to inspire the next guy down the line and get him to inspire his people. " - Lee Iacocca

Offline lorrispickelmire

• View Profile
Bethesda
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2007, 11:06:32 PM »
The Bethesda home in Mississippi at one time was closed and moved to Florida, I am not sure when that happened, but I think it was about the same time us Rebekah Girls were moved to Belton Missouri.  I am kind of confused about the dates.  I know we were moved right after Christmas 1985.  All the homes were under siege by health and welfare, but they missed over and over.
                                        George Washington