Author Topic: YLF Visits Benchmark.. Hilarity Ensues...  (Read 31769 times)

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
YLF Visits Benchmark.. Hilarity Ensues...
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2007, 07:11:43 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
and the one of the cops had told us that they had to stop in their search for a suicidal guy wandering around Redlands to come deal with us...

Shouldn't the cops be discussing taking the repeat caller to jail for harassing the police at that point?

I can't see Benchmark gaining any popularity in the cops' eyes for this shit.

Psy and I, more Psy as I tend to be in the passenger seat and the cops stand at the driver's side, have taken every opportunity to educate the cops involved regarding the true nature of benchmark. We had a conversation with a cop saying he would be sure to ask young homeless dudes around 18 to 24 in the future if they are from benchmark. So far what is saving benchmark from a serious discussion of frivolous complaints is every single time the cops have had to run our documents they have been different officers. I believe that given a few more incidents Benchmark may well get some sort of official notice of the Redlands Police department.

On that note... The day isn't over yet.. hee hee hee hee hee...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2007, 07:45:11 PM »
I ain't shittin ya a bit, Psy is one of my personal heros. If I had had my shit wrapped that tight when I was his age we wouldn't be having this discussion.

::rocker::  :nworthy:
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2007, 08:15:25 PM »
Quote from: ""Antigen""
I ain't shittin ya a bit, Psy is one of my personal heros. If I had had my shit wrapped that tight when I was his age we wouldn't be having this discussion.

::rocker::  :nworthy:

Its because of you we're here so that in 20 years nobody will have this discussion ever again.

:D
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2007, 10:56:57 AM »
Welp.. We paid our last visit to Benchmark last night. Didn't get much of a reaction from them.. That is the staff just stood out front and stared at us and wouldn't allow the students to interact with us in anyway. More telling is the staff member who threatened to call the police on us again when Psy tried to talk to some parents.

Staff Goon: I'm going to have to ask you to not talk to the parents or I will call the police.

Psy: Go ahead.

Me: lols.

Offline 3xsaSeedling

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2007, 11:27:42 AM »
I'm so jealous!!
I wanna go raise some hell too!!
Be careful and come home safe...
'...love you guys'!!   :wink:
Of all the things I\'ve ever lost, I miss my mind the most.
Wait...I found \'IT\'!!    
oh joy

"Fresh baked daily!"

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2007, 11:51:39 AM »
Gawd this so reminds me of our first protest of (not so) SAFE so many years ago.  I sure wish I could have been there with you guys.  Keep up the good work, and keep talking to those parents.

When we went to SAFE, I spoke at length with some of the parents and just hearing the word cult and safe in the same breath opened some of their eyes. We also got threatened and had a very very intense 5-0 session.  I left there feeling exhilirated.

You guys are doing great work!

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2007, 12:03:46 PM »
Well Psy is  bustling around now packing what must be about 10 miles of wires and other doo hickeys. So the only danger I see for either of us is Psy's bag exploding from the over pressure of stuffing so much junk into to small of a container and rendering us both into a grape like jelly.

Here are a few hard learned lessons from our raid:

*When working in a pair have one person as the dedicated Cameraman at all times.

We missed out on a few great shots as the camera was not avaliable.

*We definitely could have benifited from having some more people around.

At several points the staff and students were getting so pissed off with us having 2 more people would have caused a nuclear scale melt down.

*Having a dedicated support team.

At one point we were trying to find names and numbers for various peoples and organizations. As we were in the car and in front of the facility most of the time we couldn't do much of the legwork ourselves. Having someone in place to do the info searches could have been very useful.

What we do know now is having a camcorder is the equivalent of a rifle platoon of Marines. The camcorder is a massive force multiplier that exposes for the entire world what goes on at these dumps. I suggest the following approach into the area:

1) Recon it via google maps..
A) Get both street maps, and geographical terrain maps..
B) Use the maps to familiarize yourself with the area for streets, vantage points, and walking paths.
2) Recon it on foot or bicycle.
A) Do a walk by or ride by if you can to investigate the area. Don't take any pictures at this point as you just want to be familiar with the area without giving the staff or students the idea you are there to expose their sad sick truths.
B) If you can gain the daily schedule from a ex-resident or staff then you don't have to spend anytime attempting to decipher the best times to gain access to the students.
3) Once you have reconned the place move in force to achieve desired results.
A) Using signs that convey a very clear and easy to read message attempt to communicate to the students. In the case of benchmark the students talked to us on occasion even when they weren't supposed to be doing son.

more later.. need to get moving. I'll drop in later after I've gotten squared away back in Korea.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2007, 12:04:51 PM »
Quote from: ""GregFL""
Gawd this so reminds me of our first protest of (not so) SAFE so many years ago.  I sure wish I could have been there with you guys.  Keep up the good work, and keep talking to those parents.

When we went to SAFE, I spoke at length with some of the parents and just hearing the word cult and safe in the same breath opened some of their eyes. We also got threatened and had a very very intense 5-0 session.  I left there feeling exhilirated.

You guys are doing great work!

Just one 5-0 session? We've had about 5 of them so far.

Offline Buddha22

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2007, 01:47:54 PM »
Good work for those that have been on the front.
I know this has been both a thrill and a challenge.

I hope you gained a plethora of wisdom and insight on how church of benchmark really affects these kids.

All I have to say is congrats on the mission well done.
"The Cause Of Human Suffering Is Human Ignorance"- Socrates

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2007, 04:52:23 PM »
Quote from: ""Che Gookin""
A) Using signs that convey a very clear and easy to read message attempt to communicate to the students. In the case of benchmark the students talked to us on occasion even when they weren't supposed to be doing so.

A lot of what I did had several layers of meanings.  For example, on the last night I stood outside the St. St. Apartments holding Margaret Singer's "Cults in Our Midst", bookmarked to the page discussing how cults control communication with outsiders, reading material etc...  I spent a good while convincing anybody (even staff) to take it and read it, but nobody would (i'm not surprised about some of the staff, however, given their apparent level of literacy I observed when I was there).

We did interview multiple neighbors and confirmed that ambulances and police cars do come about every six months (better than when I was there, admittedly, although I doubt the neighbors notice every single attempt).  We also confirmed one successful suicide (George) around April of 05 as well as an attempt at the same location a few months later.  No wonder the old railroad bridge (where George jumped) is now fenced off.

I did get a level three to openly state that program harms some people more than helping (though, of course, he was convinced he was an addict and the program saved his life bla bla bla).  I also got into a little ...er.. argument with a level 2 girl who was then told to stop talking to us.  Amazingly, she defied the staff, telling them that she had a right to speak to us.... WOW...  After that the staff ushered her off and we never saw here again (she was the one I really wanted to give the book to).  I suspect either room/house restriction, although putting her in a motel or taking away her level is probably not out of the question as a punishment for her little assertion of her rights.  She was not present for "roll call" the following night.

Probably the best part of the last night was when I approached some parents (on public property) and a staff member came up to me and told me that he would call the cops if I continued to talk to them (he said this in front of the parents).  I told him to go ahead and do it, that I was on public property, that they would come, talk to me, and leave pissed off at program after I explained the situation (as I had done the previous 4 times)  Had the parents not been there I probably would have been a bit more profane in my response but...  oh well.  He got the point and left even more frustrated than before.

Apparantly they had been telling the parents a load of shit too since they told me "you're really trying hard to get sent back here, huh..."  Given that they told the students I was on drugs and didn't get a security job because of my allegedly shady past (first off... it's bs.. second off, they could not have possibly known such things, but nobody seems to ask the right questions).  Then the same staff member that was spreading that bullshit had the gall to demand I not interrupt him and treat him with respect... to which I responded with a profanity-laden speech about free speech that was unfortunately not captured on tape.  Assholes are so used to ruling their little world... they really can't take it when somebody is outside the reaches of their authorita.

Let's see... They tried to have us thrown out of our motel, they gave my cell phone number to a (truly fucking insane) Irate parent (who threatened to have me thrown in jail for attempting to help his adult sun leave program, among other things).  She also said her son had "ADD and can't take care of himself".  TSW had to put her on "time out".  She was screaming her head off at him so I don't blame him.  They then gave my DAD'S cell phone number in France (god knows how they got that) to that same Irate parent who told him that we had KIDNAPPED him and had him in some motel room (define irony here)...

Ooooh.. we had so much fun and got 90% of it on tape too (including every single incident with the cops... after the first time we started preparing in advance.  We joked with the cops about having our names on hotkey given the frequency they were frivolously called to harass us.  It must have really pissed them off to see them leave again and again without us in the back of the squad car.  We had some nice chats with some of them and I made damn sure to educate them about the program.  I got some good information out of some of em too (such as: there is an apparant epidemic of homeless kids from the ages of 18-24 in the Redlands area.  The officer also remembered Benchmark's name from a kid he arrested.  He said he'd keep and eye out for any more on the streets and I'll sure be keeping in contact with him and others.

Oh.  And we also got them refusing to hand over a kid's passport on tape.  We then called the cops on them for a change.  When the cops came they claimed they didn't have it at the location (but curiously didn't say that before we called em).  They also couldn't keep their story straight on a number of important details (have that on tape too).  For example, they claimed he was contractually obliged to remain in San Bernardino county on the terms of his parole (he was prosecuted by program, after being forced to sign a confession in program, for stealing a car to leave(he could have used a lawyer for that, yeah...)).  Later on they claimed he was restricted to stay in program on the terms of his parole.  He claims he never signed any such document (and is barely literate, which is not surprising considering he was in program for the past 8 years(for smoking pot))   They threatened to have me arrested for aiding and abetting him to commit parole violation bla bla bla...  LOL.  And they acted surprised/offended when my general attitude toward them was basically "fuck you".  If they do end up getting a restraining order on me I'm going to frame it, then contest it.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2007, 06:45:48 PM »
VIDEO. NOW.
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2007, 09:56:40 PM »
Pass the popcorn Nihlantic.  I can't wait for the vid either.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2007, 10:26:01 PM »
Oh hey GREG.

Where have you been?

Wanna help me raid some Floridian programs and knock back some booze?

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2007, 11:26:04 PM »
Quote from: ""psy""

A lot of what I did had several layers of meanings.  For example, on the last night I stood outside the St. St. Apartments holding Margaret Singer's "Cults in Our Midst", bookmarked to the page discussing how cults control communication with outsiders, reading material etc...  I spent a good while convincing anybody (even staff) to take it and read it, but nobody would (i'm not surprised about some of the staff, however, given their apparent level of literacy I observed when I was there).

The building and trades teacher said he would buy a copy after you reminded him that he was all about trust as he was your friendship seminar partner. As far as staff goes he was the only one that didn't make me want to check to see if my wallet was still in my pocket. The rest well.. bleh.. scum all a dem.

Funny part I was reading parts of the book out loud to those two staff who were like 50 to 60 feet away and they just started talking really loudly to drown me out. lols..

We did interview multiple neighbors and confirmed that ambulances and police cars do come about every six months (better than when I was there, admittedly, although I doubt the neighbors notice every single attempt).  We also confirmed one successful suicide (George) around April of 05 as well as an attempt at the same location a few months later.  No wonder the old railroad bridge (where George jumped) is now fenced off.

When you went over to take pictures of that bridge I only felt overwhelmingly depressed. Tragic in so many ways and there isn't even some sort of memorial there for George. I'd be willing to donate a few bucks for something at that location.

Probably the best part of the last night was when I approached some parents (on public property) and a staff member came up to me and told me that he would call the cops if I continued to talk to them (he said this in front of the parents).  I told him to go ahead and do it, that I was on public property, that they would come, talk to me, and leave pissed off at program after I explained the situation (as I had done the previous 4 times)  Had the parents not been there I probably would have been a bit more profane in my response but...  oh well.  He got the point and left even more frustrated than before.

yeah pissed me off that I didn't follow you to get that on video.. and like I said before we parted ways I also kick myself for not asking the staff questions like, "When is the last time a Benchmark staff member relapsed on drugs?" and so on and so forth right in front of the parents.

Apparantly they had been telling the parents a load of shit too since they told me "you're really trying hard to get sent back here, huh..."  Given that they told the students I was on drugs and didn't get a security job because of my allegedly shady past (first off... it's bs.. second off, they could not have possibly known such things, but nobody seems to ask the right questions).  Then the same staff member that was spreading that bullshit had the gall to demand I not interrupt him and treat him with respect... to which I responded with a profanity-laden speech about free speech that was unfortunately not captured on tape.  Assholes are so used to ruling their little world... they really can't take it when somebody is outside the reaches of their authorita.

Lols.. I thought the guy's head was going to explode. It was the same douche bag that got right in my face if I'm not mistaken.

Let's see... They tried to have us thrown out of our motel, they gave my cell phone number to a (truly fucking insane) Irate parent (who threatened to have me thrown in jail for attempting to help his adult sun leave program, among other things).  She also said her son had "ADD and can't take care of himself".  TSW had to put her on "time out". She was screaming her head off at him so I don't blame him.  They then gave my DAD'S cell phone number in France (god knows how they got that) to that same Irate parent who told him that we had KIDNAPPED him and had him in some motel room (define irony here)...

That shit is surreal.. She kept calling you all night to and then tried to tell your dad the next day that YOU were harrassing her. Guess she didn't like being on time out

Ooooh.. we had so much fun and got 90% of it on tape too (including every single incident with the cops... after the first time we started preparing in advance.  We joked with the cops about having our names on hotkey given the frequency they were frivolously called to harass us.  It must have really pissed them off to see them leave again and again without us in the back of the squad car.  We had some nice chats with some of them and I made damn sure to educate them about the program.  I got some good information out of some of em too (such as: there is an apparant epidemic of homeless kids from the ages of 18-24 in the Redlands area.  The officer also remembered Benchmark's name from a kid he arrested.  He said he'd keep and eye out for any more on the streets and I'll sure be keeping in contact with him and others.

Yeah that cop is a class act. The first thing he asked me when he saw my passport is how I liked Vietnam. Best part ever was watching the benchmark people looking out the window while Psy, Me, and The cop are on the sidewalk having this big animated conversation with smiles and hand gestures about Singapore. salt.. rubbed... wounds.. lols.. hehe

Oh.  And we also got them refusing to hand over a kid's passport on tape.  We then called the cops on them for a change.  When the cops came they claimed they didn't have it at the location (but curiously didn't say that before we called em).  They also couldn't keep their story straight on a number of important details (have that on tape too).  For example, they claimed he was contractually obliged to remain in San Bernardino county on the terms of his parole (he was prosecuted by program, after being forced to sign a confession in program, for stealing a car to leave(he could have used a lawyer for that, yeah...)).  Later on they claimed he was restricted to stay in program on the terms of his parole.  He claims he never signed any such document (and is barely literate, which is not surprising considering he was in program for the past 8 years(for smoking pot))   They threatened to have me arrested for aiding and abetting him to commit parole violation bla bla bla...  LOL.  And they acted surprised/offended when my general attitude toward them was basically "fuck you".  If they do end up getting a restraining order on me I'm going to frame it, then contest it.

Amen brother I hope they spell my name right if they put it on the damn restraining order.. but on the other hand I'd be happy to visit them again next year if they don't.

I'll have those Benchmark Thanksgiving Weekend Raid Patches made up for you, me, and the donor. They should be pretty fricking cool looking and I'll happily make up a patch for anyone who donates over 100 bucks or participates in a program raid and ship them to those involved.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2007, 12:30:52 AM »
Quote from: ""Che Gookin""
Quote from: ""psy""

The building and trades teacher said he would buy a copy after you reminded him that he was all about trust as he was your friendship seminar partner. As far as staff goes he was the only one that didn't make me want to check to see if my wallet was still in my pocket.

Yeah.  There are some really good people working there.  The problem is what they participate in by their passive tolerance of their coworkers/boss's behavior.  I consider it very possible that few are fully aware of what is going on.  The C.E.D.U. (Charles E Dederich university) model was a cult model and Benchmark inherited that.  In my opinion, the C.E.D.U. model was designed with one purpose in mind: to make money.  To those who wonder, the name was changed after the rattlesnake incident.

@Parents: If you don't know what i'm talking about you should read Margaret Singer's "Cults in Our Midst".  She was right.

The rest well.. bleh.. scum all a dem.

Funny part I was reading parts of the book out loud to those two staff who were like 50 to 60 feet away and they just started talking really loudly to drown me out. lols..

All it does is prove their minds are closed and they are afraid of considering a possible truth that might threaten their cult belief system.

When you went over to take pictures of that bridge I only felt overwhelmingly depressed. Tragic in so many ways and there isn't even some sort of memorial there for George. I'd be willing to donate a few bucks for something at that location.

Me too.  If I'm not complete fricking broke after Budget Rent-A-Car ass-raped my bank account for 598 dollars (advertised as around 150).  Boy do those assholes tack on extra shit.

yeah pissed me off that I didn't follow you to get that on video.. and like I said before we parted ways I also kick myself for not asking the staff questions like, "When is the last time a Benchmark staff member relapsed on drugs?" and so on and so forth right in front of the parents.

Yeah.  But those parents seemed to already know who I was.  Richard Brimhall (admissions guy) gave me the NASTIEST look in the world when the cops were there just shooting the shit with us.  Oooh he was pissed.  It just made my day it was fucking orgasmic.  ooh....  pissed off programmie feeling.  I love it.

See.  The hilarious thing is that the program is trying to convince everybody that I was on fucking drugs.  I'm a college student and I don't sleep a lot.  I work a lot.  Fuck them if they want to slander me.  I'll start revealing everything that Jayne's precious daughter, Joelle, Inheritor to the program, said in Friendship Workshop as well as on the "Explorer" trip, etc.  What with the sexual confession circle and all.. @Joelle: "vroom.. vrooooom......"  Yeah that's right.  I'lll record a tape and send it to you for christmas.  Merry fucking christmas you assholes.  Thanks for fucking my mind up.  Should I be polite when I am being slandered?  Parents don't like the word fuck?  You'd hear it a lot around State St if the Counselors/coaches/0-qualification junkie ex-con counselors.

Lols.. I thought the guy's head was going to explode. It was the same douche bag that got right in my face if I'm not mistaken.

No.  This was Mister Alaska who threatened to call the cops on me for making non-program-approved contact with the parents.  They want to control the parent's communication. (again, read Cults In Our Midst if you're scratching you're head)

Let's see... They tried to have us thrown out of our motel, they gave my cell phone number to a (truly fucking insane) Irate parent (who threatened to have me thrown in jail for attempting to help his adult sun leave program, among other things).  She also said her son had "ADD and can't take care of himself".  TSW had to put her on "time out". She was screaming her head off at him so I don't blame him.  They then gave my DAD'S cell phone number in France (god knows how they got that) to that same Irate parent who told him that we had KIDNAPPED him and had him in some motel room (define irony here)...

That shit is surreal.. She kept calling you all night to and then tried to tell your dad the next day that YOU were harrassing her. Guess she didn't like being on time out

Living, breathing, proof that some parents are just fucked up beyond all recognition.

Yeah that cop is a class act. The first thing he asked me when he saw my passport is how I liked Vietnam. Best part ever was watching the benchmark people looking out the window while Psy, Me, and The cop are on the sidewalk having this big animated conversation with smiles and hand gestures about Singapore. salt.. rubbed... wounds.. lols.. hehe

LOLs...  That was so much fucking fun.  OK.  I'm converting that video segment now... You've convinced me.  That one other cop was an asshole, though (the one who played the "bad cop" routine so badly).

Amen brother I hope they spell my name right if they put it on the damn restraining order.. but on the other hand I'd be happy to visit them again next year if they don't.

I'll have those Benchmark Thanksgiving Weekend Raid Patches made up for you, me, and the donor. They should be pretty fricking cool looking and I'll happily make up a patch for anyone who donates over 100 bucks or participates in a program raid and ship them to those involved.

RAID....  kills programs dead.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)