Author Topic: lurkers vs posters  (Read 3041 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
lurkers vs posters
« on: November 19, 2007, 12:26:16 AM »
At any given time there are about 25 people on fornits. But there are not so many posting, it seems. Why do so many just lurk? Or, am i mistaken and are they also mostly posting.

just curious
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
lurkers vs posters
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 12:46:59 AM »
Well... I know when I first found fornits, I lurked for a good long time before I started posting.  And then I was posting for a time as an anon, before I took on a username.

That said, I think some people are also more comfortable just reading and taking a lot in, and have less of a need to put their two cents in.  Some people can not put their two cents in sans risk, since they are still in program.

Just my guess.  I honestly don't know for sure...
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
lurkers vs posters
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 01:37:15 AM »
I lurked for awhile before I posted. I honestly couldn't make sense of what I was reading at first. It seemed like a lot of inside jokes and outright nonsense, but I stayed and realized that I just came on a bad day. It was apparently an all out trollathon. After awhile I got into the swing of things and realized what a goldmine of info this place was, lucky me....
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
lurkers vs posters
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 02:12:06 AM »
I lurked for a little too. But could not find info on the specific school I was looking at so then asked questions
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
lurkers vs posters
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 03:51:35 AM »
We survivors are a sneaky, dishonest lot. bwahaha.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
lurkers vs posters
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 05:37:48 AM »
Urs, Hanzo, OG, how did ya'll find Fornits. Were you searching for anything in particular?
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
lurkers vs posters
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 01:23:13 AM »
Yeah, I had zeroed in on the Straights specifically SAFE. Some page I was on had a link to a "survivors message board" which turned out to be fornits. Lord I will never forget those early days, it was like stumbling into someone else's nightmare. I swear my respect for humanity dropped every few hours cause every few hours I would read about some unbelievable display of depravity that just blew my mind.
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
lurkers vs posters
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 02:50:02 AM »
pretty randomly. I looked up the name of the school I was looking for and kept googling things like troubled children etc . I some ways I have my Italian mother who is obsessed with feeding ppl to blame/thank. When a relative was thinking of one of these schools  there was some mention of no packages from wider relatives. She wondered what sort of sick place does not allow grandmothers to send cookies LOL.

I also then recalled a Vanity Fair story i read yrs earlier on a bloke who was on trial for a murder he was accused of committing as a teenager. (the skatel case) After this incident had allegedly occured his father sent him to elan and his class mates described all of these crazy and hideous things which were used in his case to get a confession. I wondered if the school i was looking at  was somewhat like this. So I googled Elan hoping that this school was not like Elan and fornits came up.

I read some kids stories on the site and found I had a lot of questions. Number 1 was why parents did not investigate the allegations when the kids came home for exeat weekends or in the case of American kids the long summer break.  It did not occur to me in spite of reading terms like yr round that this meant that the kids literally did not really go home for over a yr at a time. This was because the mere concept seemed to absurd to be real.

I also then read about the wilderness industry on this site and got links to other sites. This shocked the hell out of me. I had heard somewhere about these  Wilderness  places for kids with drug troubles but I imagined that they were some sort of summer camp like thing with addiction counselling.
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
lurkers vs posters
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 12:48:57 PM »
Lurkers are skeerd.

Or they're learning about whats going on. I mean shit, if you were thinking of getting help for your kid, come here, and find out whats up, wouldn't you be a little intimidated?
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
lurkers vs posters
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 12:58:39 PM »
I was trying to find some information on wilderness therapy when I happened upon Fornits….  I read for about an hour and then book marked it and came back to it again about a week later when I was cleaning up the bookmarks.  I lurked for quite awhile and was struck by all the negative posts associated with the schools.  I had never met anyone who had a bad experience or read an article that was negative.  After about a week I posted my first post and started asking questions and eventually told of my success with wilderness and TBS…  I began to realize that there was much more to the industry than what I had experienced i.e. boot camps, straight in the 1970’s, Juvy warehouses etc.  and this was where most of the negative press seemed to be coming from.  I think the reason I decided to stay (even though it became obvious no one wanted to hear my side) was that many of the posters were taking people experiences from one area of the industry (boot camps) and trying to sell this off to readers as what occurs in “Allâ€

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
lurkers vs posters
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 12:59:14 PM »
Lurking is a respected, worthwhile, and honorable activity. LURK MOAR.

Or just avoid this forum and everything to do with the entire teen torture business. This is what is known as the 'sane option', and most certainly the one that most parents reading Fornits follow.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
lurkers vs posters
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 02:51:27 PM »
Well, I thought perhaps, like me, they are anxious about their IP. This isn’t an issue for the purely interested, but for survivors and the generally flighty, it’s a concern..

I wonder if there was anyway to find out that our posts were secure, that mods can't know who we are  from just our ips, and they can't be like tracked by nefarious people from our past for misuse???????????????????????????????????????????????

Also, this is a different question, but does everyone here know each other, either interpersonally, or email? Or, Is there an assoc. like cafety, or isac?

thanks

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
lurkers vs posters
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 03:15:49 PM »
Well, I thought perhaps, like me, they are anxious about their IP.

USE MOAR TOR

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
....bcuz it's just a lot easier to read it like this..
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 07:32:30 PM »
Quote from: "TheWho"
I was trying to find some information on wilderness therapy when I happened upon Fornits….  I read for about an hour and then book marked it and came back to it again about a week later when I was cleaning up the bookmarks.  I lurked for quite awhile and was struck by all the negative posts associated with the schools.  I had never met anyone who had a bad experience or read an article that was negative.  After about a week I posted my first post and started asking questions and eventually told of my success with wilderness and TBS…  I began to realize that there was much more to the industry than what I had experienced i.e. boot camps, straight in the 1970’s, Juvy warehouses etc.  and this was where most of the negative press seemed to be coming from.  I think the reason I decided to stay (even though it became obvious no one wanted to hear my side) was that many of the posters were taking people experiences from one area of the industry (boot camps) and trying to sell this off to readers as what occurs in “Allâ€

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
lurkers vs posters
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2007, 08:34:43 PM »
I have no problem with lurkers. I lurked for a while when I first found this site. I told myself there was no way I was going to post. I was actually paranoid someone from my peer group would find out who I was. Then I posted as anonymous. Then I registered. The rest is history. Like I care who knows me now. (Just as long as its not a prospective employer. I may be white, but I'm not stupid.) But for the most part, I am pretty open about it.

Guess how I found this site? BRAT CAMP. I shit you not. I saw the show, wondered if they were having their thing in the owyhee, where I had my last wilderness expedition. They weren't. That made me check out what the CEDU schools were up to. That's when I found out about the closings, the riot, the lawsuits, all that shit. I drilled down my search, and they linked to fornits. What? An entire forum on CEDU? Holy fucking shit! I'm not crazy after all!

And this was back when the forum had some pretty serious flamers and trolls on there, too. I think I showed up right after the ottowa drama had petered out, and the carlbrook thread reared its ugly head for the first time.