Author Topic: Using Art to Reach The Masses  (Read 1881 times)

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Using Art to Reach The Masses
« on: November 16, 2007, 06:47:23 PM »
I'm curious about the interest in using Art to reach the wretched masses of mainstream society. Typically they flounce along in their average everyday mundane existences clueless to the culture war being fought all around him.

On one side you have the money hungry class of soulless child abusers and on the other you the disorganized mob of dissidents who struggle on in the name of freedom with drawn "knifes" to take it to the programmes to liberate their imprisoned bretheren.

We saw the results of the film Over the GW and I believe the film did reach some people. We saw the results of the TB documentry and we know that reached people.

So obviously films seem to be a good way of reaching people.

How about pod casts? Would anyone be interested in developing a site that hosts pod casts of those willing to speak who say their bit about their own personal run in with hell?

It seems to me that to read it is one thing.. to watch someone speak about it tends to be another..

Another thought is I know there are several aspiring poets on the forums. Would any of you be interested in putting together a collection of your work?

Not sure it would sell much but who cares? How many of your mates can claim, "Hey mofo I got my poems published!" At the very least someone may well be inspired to use that under utilized gray matter between their ears and make the obvious neuron connections and come to the result that something just isn't quite right with these programs.

The same idea can be used for paintings and drawings as well.

I know Kathy at FICA has something going about this and I know I have some web hosting of my own that I'd be glad to use for this sort of project. I know I talked to another person earlier who said she would be interested in helping. (Must have been my stunning charm and all)

any ideas, suggestions, flaming bags of dog shit?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 06:56:05 PM »
This time I was sitting down by the dock fishing for dinner like I always do. This ugly old man walked up to me, and asked if I wanted to buy one of his sculptures. I told him to get lost, but he was a persistent old man. Kept telling me about his poor sick friend who he cares for back in their homeless tarp home. I relented and asked how much for his stupid sculpture. He said five bucks, but I have to follow him down to his home to retrieve it. As we walked underneath the pier I got nervous, but he was a old man so I wasn't worried. It got darker as we went under the bridge, so dark I could barely see him as he wandered ahead of me. Just as I realized this might not be such a good idea I, I heard a loud crack. It sounded like someone shattered glass, then a millisecond later I felt splitting pain in the back of my head. I had just enough time to reach around and feel warm liquid running down my neck before I passed out. When I woke up I was naked and they stole everything including my underwear. My butt hole really was sore and I really had to take a shit. Only when I went to take a shit no poop came out, just blood. I am worried I have AIDS now and I'm not sure what to do. My butt really hurts bad and I lost all my money and my gold watch. I am a really stupid idiot who got robbed and buttraped when all I wanted was a wooden seagul sculpture. I didn't even catch my dinner god damnit.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 06:57:56 PM »
You really ought to get tested.... soon..

but until then here:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 07:24:57 PM »
For all I know there could of been a gang of rapists down there. Just saying... because that looks exactly like the sculpture he showed be right before I was struck down in the prime of my life and forced to be a dickhole for dirty homeless men depositing their spermless, yellow, ejaculate inside of my bleeding, corpse like, posterior. I haven't seen the sculpture since then so it's bringing back a lot of unpleasant memories.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 07:28:09 PM »
Print up a picture of it and jizz on it a few times. It should help square things up for you.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 07:37:25 PM »
I like you Che Gookin, you got gumption. We should go buy a nigger together sometime.

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 08:54:28 PM »
For audio production a free tool that's available is audacity, which you can use to record your audio. To make it into a podcast you will need to upload the mp3 file you make with audacity to a website and then create an rss file that will contain information about the podcast: Like the title, description, location of the actual mp3 file, etc.. After you make sure the rss file is correct you upload it to a website and that's what folks add to their podcast downloading software. I don't know how to make an rss file so I can't help there, but I know audio so if you need any help with that let me know.

Art is a good way to convey a complex idea/statement in a simple and easy to understand way. I do sound art which tends to be very avant-garde. I've only made one piece that others would be able to link with something real, Katrina. Videos like this one is a good example of art that is both informative and entertaining. But anyway, art can be a powerful tool blah, blah, blah.............
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 09:31:01 PM by Guest »
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 09:23:39 PM »
The how to isn't so much the question as it is the who will is the question.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 09:24:18 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
I like you Che Gookin, you got gumption. We should go buy a nigger together sometime.

Just not in the market in the moment, perhaps a chia pet?

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 09:34:01 PM »
Ah, I see
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 09:38:22 PM »
I will try to keep this short because I know it will never be read if I write all that I feel on this subject.  If you ever want to reach an emotional chord in someone or get them vested in an idea that you hold  the best way is through expressions in art.  But artistic expression is typically thought to be viewed in museums or galleries… my brother was an artist and I learned early on to appreciate the free expression that came along with the different forms of art.
As I walked the city of Boston as a student in the 1970’s I was inspired by a person called “Sidewalk Samâ€

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2007, 10:11:52 PM »
On occasion the who does have something useful to say. Interesting link.. I'll be sure to look it over.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2007, 07:46:53 AM »
Bumped for Art.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2007, 12:19:03 PM »
lols.  i have met sidewalk sam and he is as neat as he sounds.   i knew him from the 80s and 90s.  he used to draw a lot near the haymarket (boston) and the pedestrian tunnel from there to the north end.  always bugged me that eventually the rain would wash all his work away (he preferred to use chalk).  didnt know that he was now drawing from a wheel chair.

pity that it takes decades of drawing at peoples feet before such endeavors are giving their just appreciation and respect.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2007, 02:04:52 PM »
The man does some fascinating things with chalk.