Author Topic: The Food Thread: Running out, best/worst.  (Read 4016 times)

Offline cedu91to93

• View Profile
The Food Thread: Running out, best/worst.
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2007, 06:54:11 PM »
For those who are curious- here are the words to Dana Dana:
Dona Dona

On a wagon bound for market
There's a calf with a mournful eye.
High above him there's a swallow
Winging swiftly through the sky.

How the winds are laughing
 They laugh with all their might
 Laugh and laugh the whole day through
 And half the summer's night.

Dona dona dona dona
     Dona dona dona don
     Dona dona dona dona
     Dona dona dona don

"Stop complaining," said the farmer,
"Who told you a calf to be?
Why don't you have wings to fly away
Like the swallow so proud and free?"

Calves are easily bound and slaughtered
Never knowing the reason why.
But whoever treasures freedom,
Like the swallow must learn to fly
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2007, 10:28:25 PM »
Does anyone else remember the Friday potatoe bar? That was my favorite!!

Oh god, potato night was vile. Someone else mentioned taco bar. I don't know what it tasted like in California, but the one in Idaho was terrible. Crappy, cheap, corn tortillas, and that ground beef that tastes like it belonged in a public school cafeteria. But then again, I'm not much of a taco person. I hate corn tortillas. Especially with ground beef. Give me a burrito any day.

I could have also gone without sloppy joes, but that's another personal taste issue. I hate those retarded things.

Oh man, you know what else I loved?? French Dip.

The most brutal of Ironies is that RMA did NOT get their potatoes from Idaho. They got them from Washington. (I'm assuming because it was closer to the panhandle than southern Idaho.)

However, this is no reflection on the kitchen staff, they worked their asses off. It's tough to cook in bulk and still make it taste good. Especially when you are trying to heat it up over a flaming log of ponderosa pine.

i was kitchen manager for a long time. i liked working in the kitchen. i still love to cook. sorry if the eggs sucked  i used to like to do sunday brunch, everyone liked it so much, so it was fun to help make it.

Oh god, I HATED working in the kitchen. When you got to challenge at RMA, you had two choices for work. (holy shit! I finally get a choice??)

The woodshop with Greg Springett, or the kitchen with Patsy and Wendy.

All the girls chose the kitchen, however, I practically ran to the Denali basement so I could do fun fun fun things like build footlockers, install new beds (enrollment went up to 200 around the time I was in challenge.), and burn people's names into a splinter of wood for the new student cubbyholes in the mudroom. Oh yeah, I think we were still working on Greg's handmade canoe, too. You have to admit, that was a kick ass boat.

The job sucked, but not as much as the kitchen. And either way, it's all gravy because you are INSIDE!!! FOR ONCE!

The one week or two I had to work in the kitchen was because Greg was on a Wilderness Challenge, so all woodshop students went to work in the house. I was totally miserable before I even started working. I fucking hate kitchens, cooking, cleaning or anything domestic like that. I burn salad, and I was just SO fucking unhappy for those couple of weeks. That kind of work is just.... oh god, it's awful. I would have happily run down to the wood corral for some sledge n' wedge than make quiche for 200 fuckers. (Oh god, remember the quiche? That stuff was awful.)

However, the one nice thing about the kitchen were the staff.

Regardless, I am glad I had the chance to work there, albeit briefly, because the girls taught me how to crack an egg with one hand, and it is waaay easier than cracking it with two, as far as I'm concerned.

That's probably the most valuable lesson I learned at CEDU.... how to crack an egg one-handed. I don't cook, but I can crack an egg.

Dona Dona

On a wagon bound for market
There's a calf with a mournful eye.
High above him there's a swallow
Winging swiftly through the sky.

How the winds are laughing
They laugh with all their might
Laugh and laugh the whole day through
And half the summer's night.

Dona dona dona dona
Dona dona dona don
Dona dona dona dona
Dona dona dona don

"Stop complaining," said the farmer,
"Who told you a calf to be?
Why don't you have wings to fly away
Like the swallow so proud and free?"

Calves are easily bound and slaughtered
Never knowing the reason why.
But whoever treasures freedom,
Like the swallow must learn to fly

Okay, the creepy thing about this is, even though it is about the holocaust, it totally reminded me of when we were either going to the doctor's, or on a ski trip, or something, and we got caught behind the slaughter truck just as it was leaving RMA. So we got to look at all the cows in the back of the truck that we had gotten to know so well while we were in quest... looking all sad, scared and delicious. Most of the people in the van were bummed. I was thinking to myself "So what's the turnaround for this? When do we get them in edible form?"

Fresh beef and pork can't be beat. Right from the abattoir and onto your plate. Too bad they didn't have enough animals to slaughter enough for all of us every day. Morning crews on the farm trying to take care of that teeming mass of future yumminess would have been a nightmare. We never would have gotten done.

Besides, I hated the cows and the pigs and the chickens. They were ugly and smelly and gross. As far as I'm concerned, they deserved to be on my plate, where they smell and look a hell of a lot better.

Although... there was one cow I liked, and that was Pepper. Mainly because she had a silly moo. But I'd still have no qualms about eating her.

Don't forget, you can't have slaughter without laughter.

Offline dishdutyfugitive

• View Profile
    • http://www.foxmovies.com/fightclub/
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2007, 10:43:49 PM »
Burn salads ? I thoughti was the only capable of that

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2007, 10:50:52 PM »
Quote from: ""dishdutyfugitive""
Burn salads ? I thoughti was the only capable of that

Well, I used to. I figured out the trick. Don't prepare it with a creme brulee caramelizing torch. I only use the microwave now and it's just fine.

But put the dressing on afterwards, not before.

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2007, 04:24:29 AM »
there is lots of mention of hannuka and passover food. Was there a large Jewish population at CEDU?
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
OK
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2007, 04:54:43 AM »
Quote from: ""Oz girl""
there is lots of mention of hannuka and passover food. Was there a large Jewish population at CEDU?

Large Jewish Population? I would say that while I was there at least 1/4 of the students were Jewish. It was great what I learned from the Jewish kids there. It single handedly helped me relate to Jewish folk to this day. I know "Buzz words" to the Jewish Language and can totally relate/get along with Jewish Folk at a party. This is actually thanks to Cedu. I lived with many Jewish Folk in the dorms and learned all about it. I paid close attention..I really like the religion actually. I like how close and bonded everyone is.

Seriously - this may sound silly - but I was at a party last weekend and totally was able to hang out with these two Jewish guys because I could  talk inteligently about their religion. I must give my dorm friendships credit. (At least a little)

Actually - come to think of it? Was there any Jewish Staff? I was actually raised Christian. Cedu did not honor any religion whatsoever.

Consequently, I prayed every night to get the fuck out of there.

By the way - the memory this post triggered was that I had work details in the walk in. The walk in was the fridge/freezer. I swiped like 4 liks off someones birthday cake. So basically, I stole icing. I got in a lot of trouble for that. Wow - so crazy - I copped out to stealing icing. Here I am on this stupid site realizing that at some point in my life, I had to take heat because I snuck some icing from a birthday cake. That really puts it into pesrpective....

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Icing.
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2007, 10:34:32 AM »
That's funny... because when was on work detail, I often got kitchen duty....I didn't mind because the Kitchen Ladies were the sanest ones there.... My favorite guilty pleasure was stealing spoonfuls of ICING! Yum. Sugar high.

Of course, before every job, Wanda or whoever would say something like, "When you scrub this oven, I want you to think about how you put your little girl in the oven every day!"  or "As you clean these counters, I want you to think about cleaning up the dirt you live with."  

Why couldn't anyone ever say, "Look, you're in deep shit. Think about it." I would've respected that so much more that all that damn lingo.  

Even then, all I did was try to leave. That's a pretty sane goal in a world gone mad....

but back to icing.

Anyway, got Turkey waiting to go in the oven.... wish you all could share it!

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2007, 01:30:03 AM »
nd can totally relate/get along with Jewish Folk at a party

That's quite admirable, because we are savage bastards who like to drink the blood of christian children, and as such, are rather difficult people to get along with.

I'm not sure what the jew percentage was at RMA, but it was significant enough to have our holidays such as pesach and hanukkah. Obviously, we had jewish staff there, because stacy and dana were working up there at the time. I know there were others, but I just don't recall. Maybe Chuck Selent? He certainly looked like he could have come from the mediterranean or eastern europe.

... yes, I'm kidding. How fucking stupid do you think I am? That dude looked like the poster child for the aryan brotherhood. (Ironically enough, he and his family helped a few jewish kids escape the nazis during the war.)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2007, 10:43:56 AM »
When I was at RMA in the early 80s, Jews were the majority, Christians, the minority. We celebrated all Jewish holidays: Hanukkah, Yom Kippur, and Passover. Of course, we celebrated Christmas, but I don't remember celebrating Easter.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: OK
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2007, 06:25:42 PM »
Quote from: ""johnny Propheet1""
Quote from: ""Oz girl""

Large Jewish Population? I would say that while I was there at least 1/4 of the students were Jewish. It was great what I learned from the Jewish kids there. It single handedly helped me relate to Jewish folk to this day. I know "Buzz words" to the Jewish Language and can totally relate/get along with Jewish Folk at a party. This is actually thanks to Cedu. I lived with many Jewish Folk in the dorms and learned all about it. I paid close attention..I really like the religion actually. I like how close and bonded everyone is.

i think it is also ironic that you had to go to an american prison camp to get to learn about jewish heritage.  what better place!  what does a jew know more than suffering!!?? :)

i remember being there, at cedu, learning dona dona, knowing that if my mom had not married a white protestant-heritage aetheist, she never ever would have had the money to send me to this nazi boot camp.

irony irony irony

control control control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2007, 08:05:08 PM »
Memory is an interesting thing.  I was at RMA in the early 80's too.  I would say that Christian were the strong majority.     If it matters -- my family was catholic a few generations ago.  I am raising my child as a Jewish humanist although I could easily go UU too.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: The Food Thread: Running out, best/worst.
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2008, 06:16:52 PM »
I thought most of the food sucked at CEDU RS.  except sunday brunch, that was the only day of the week I was ever truly full.  and maybe on the lucky mornings when marcos made that good ass granola.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2008, 05:59:39 PM »
YES! let's talk about cedu food...some of my keenest cedu memories...

whoever wrote about 200 burgers for 175 people was spot on...called up last? not only did the person doing the calling up obviously NOT like you, but you were shit out of luck on those burgers!! hope you like salad. or leftover breakfast bread from the morning...

speaking of call ups, how pissed were YOU when your worst enemy was chosen to do call-ups?? or even better, when the worst enemy of someone at YOUR TABLE was calling up? shit, even taco bar could get cold by the time you had plate in hand...

SMORG, anyone?? I always meant to check the food service statutes regarding the service of week-old, freeze-dried food in an institutional setting. never did though...guess I was trying to repress the memory of smorg altogether.

chicken nugget eating contests. june 19, 2002. me vs. danny p vs. nick h: me 46, danny 55, nick 116 (are you kidding me?? 116? that's like $25 worth of nuggets at McD's...) - hey, can you blame us? we had chicken nuggets, what, 3 times in 2 1/2 years??

ever had the urge to sock someone right in the face when they didn't wash their plate off before dropping it in the pots and pans pile? no? guess you never tried to sneak lynyrd skynard cd's on campus and ended up on EIGHTY-SIX STRAIGHT DISH CREWS (morning noon and night baby!!)

who was your favorite kitchen staff? well dina, who introduced thursday morning cinnamon buns to bca, is obviously near the top of this list. but then again, if ruth never worked there, I wouldn't have this gem of a memory...

alex: ruth, this chicken pot pie tastes like chicken pot shit!
ruth: YOU WANT A CROWBAR TO THE JAW?
alex: ruth, did you just threaten me with a crowbar? can you say that in front of staff? it might get me pulled...
ruth: SURE, GET THE FLOOR MANAGER, I'M GETTING IT OUT OF THE BACK ROOM RIGHT NOW!!

(ruth, of course, denied this conversation took place and alex z. got himself a 2-week restriction for making up defamatory comments about a staff member...)

bet this never happened when YOU were at cedu (well, as shanlea pointed out, before the mid-90's there was no way to sneak ganja on campus anyways...) - jonny t. and vinny f.'s punishment for not holding younger school students accountable? to make brownies for the team of course!! the aforementioned ruth was a bit of a scatter brain...she didn't notice vinny slipping the cannabis oil he had cooked in the OSD the night before into the batch of brownies. staff and student alike were baked as a cake that day...(18 y/o vinny got himself tossed for that one...is that a bad thing?)

is there a single organic component to whirl? I swear that stuff is 100% synthetic...and they would put it in EVERYTHING. breakfast bread, dinner rolls, slices of toast...shit, I even saw ruth coating HOT DOG AND HAMBURGER BUNS with whirl. because burgers and dogs just aren't greasy enough...

breakfast bread probably took more years off of cedu students' lives than the heroin they were shooting before getting sent away...

did you guys have "sugared cereal saturdays" back in the day? I saw 2 voyagers literally slug it out over the last bit of cap'n crunch one saturday morning (the same saturday morning that I realized I'd be scarred for life after cedu...) kriss l., the little attention-whore she was, used to scream I'M ON BANS at anyone that looked her in the eye. that ended one saturday morning when someone threw a bowl of fruit loops in her face from point blank range. guess staff was right, we just couldn't handle all that "sugared cereal"...

wait? we only have 200 burgers for 175 people? well why the hell are the teachers coming in before their shifts and eating 3-4 burgers each?? oh yah, they don't pay them. my bad.

how long did it take you to get YOUR "caffeine privilege"? only took me 17 months...

but in answer to your question, yes, dinner really was the only time of the day we had to look forward to. it was the only thing that bore the slightest resemblance to being at home with your real friends. staff were too busy stuffing their underpaid faces to care what students were talking about, so we had the chance to shoot the shit about whatever we wanted while pretending we were back home shootin' the shit over dinner out on the town. that and games of basketball were really the only time I felt a shred of freedom. while I look back on cedu as a truly miserable experience that took nearly a decade to get over the effects of, I really do miss sittin' at those indoor picnic tables with my buddies, eatin' as many chicken nuggets as we could, or seeing who could bean the resident "look-good" from across the dining hall with an overcooked pizza stick without being caught by staff...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2008, 06:53:01 PM »
ok, that was likely the funniest post ever!