Author Topic: Update from UK  (Read 18374 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Update from UK
« on: November 12, 2007, 08:09:46 AM »
The fifth and luckily last edition of Brat Camp is being broadcast.

Again with the parents.

The impact teaching both parents and the "Brat" can not be underestimated. The first one Natasha Whitlock improved a lot, even thought that her mother Montana took her home against the advices of the "therapists".

The whole difference were that the mother learned how to say no. The mother had tried to buy her daugthers love out of guilt due to her job situation.

From this article Army camp fixes brat out of hell:

"She used to go weeks and not speak to me. She is still a teenager, she is spiky, but she is very different now. If we have an argument, she is the one that deals with it."

The lesson is: Regardless if the cause is illness or a hopeless job situation do not cave in by buying gifts to your child all time. Your child will love you if the time you spend with him or her are quality time.

That is the good news. Parents need to undertake the program in the field if a program is going to succeed over time.

The bad news is that Ben Tait is missing. If you take a minute on Youtube and put his name in, you will notice that "fame" has a dark side. The beating he is receiving is just awful and they could not have done it better at Tranquility Bay.

His mother, who chickended out last year when the wilderness became too much, is suddenly missing him and wants people to look for him.

Here is the article:A mother's plea for missing son, Oxford Mail.

The police record
[/url]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
Update from UK
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 01:38:47 AM »
Brat Camp, Channel 4
By Jemma Dobson
Comment | Read Comments (2)
IT beggars belief that there is the need for programmes like C4's Brat Camp.

Last night's Mums And Daughters' episode was an embarrassment to the people of our country if this is what we have to show for ourselves as a representation of Brits abroad. And females, at that.

Hippy mum Helen and angry, drug-using 14-year-old Chloe were this week's pair who were dropped into the Arizona desert for some intense wilderness therapy.

A gruelling regimen of survival training was intended to push them to their limits, encouraging them to work together and consider why their relationship has become so damaged. These programmes annoy me for so many reasons.

I do not see why they have to go to another country to be shown the error of their ways.

They will have only embarrassed us as a nation while wasting a load of cash, which could have been donated to someone who really needs it, on a useless soul-saerching journey.

Why should this sort of horrible behaviour be given any air time?

All the shouting and aggro is not my idea of entertainment.

I must admit, I did quite enjoy watching this brat put through her paces in one of the toughest environments in the world.

But I would bet my house on her being back to her terrible self by the time they get home and the cameras are switched off.

9:49am Wednesday 7th November 2007
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
Update from UK
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 03:36:39 AM »
perhaps some brits can shed some light on this but when did UK tv become so bloddy cheap and spiteful?
Having grown up in a country that was kind of an english wannabe i can remember the majority of tv on our public broadcaster was English. Everyone loved it and viewed it as superior to anything we could produce. Thus i recall the pithy wordplay of yes minister, the undergraduate mayhem  of The young Ones and the pantomime insanity of faulty towers. What I don't recall was the element of cruelty of Brat camp. What is really disturbing is so many reviewers hate it for all the wrong reasons. There is this idea that it is embarrassing because it makes the english look like slappers but the silver lining is watching these kids get their comeuppance. Has there been a less published backlash in the UK against this kind of thinking? or has it embraced this disturbing philosophy?
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Covergaard

• View Profile
    • http://www.carstenovergaard.dk
More from UK about Brat Camp 4
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 07:59:44 PM »
Brat Camp 4 was filmed at Aspen Family Camp

An update about how the teenagers had made it since the filming was broadcasted yesterday.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/ ... mment=true

A success rate of two out of three looks good by rehab standards, unless, that is, you remember that season four of Brat Camp actually featured four teenagers. After the programme went out, “happy slappingsâ€

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    • Secret Prisons for Teens
Re: Update from UK (Ben Tait died)
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 03:06:20 PM »
Benjamin Tait died without recovering from his wilderness stay. A victim page for United Kingdom has been created.

Brat Camp teenager died from overdose, By Katie Hodge, The Independent, September 9 2009

RIP

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Brat Camp teenager died from overdose
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 05:25:19 PM »
The INDEPENDENT
Brat Camp teenager died from overdose

By Katie Hodge, Press Association
Wednesday, 9 September 2009

A troubled teenager who appeared on the Channel 4 programme Family Brat Camp to mend his errant ways fell back into drugs and died from an overdose less than three years later, an inquest heard today.

Benjamin Tait had a chequered school career and problems with anger management when he and his parents featured on the reality TV show in late 2006.

But although his family felt he could "turn a corner" at the time, he soon regressed, and died in January after a drug-fuelled evening with a college friend.

The inquest heard Mr Tait, 18, had been forced to leave his home in Oxford following a dispute with a drug-dealer.

After a brief spell living in a hostel in Cambridge, where he was pressured into taking crack cocaine, he moved to Banbury, in Oxfordshire, and started a catering course at Cherwell College.

But his plans went awry on the night of January 7 when he and a close friend, Gareth Alderman, 19, spent an evening together at Mr Alderman's grandfather's house nearby.

The pair, who had bought a bottle of vodka the previous day, went upstairs and Mr Tait began looking for a DVD.

But instead he stumbled upon a bottle of Oramorph - a pain killer which had been used by Mr Alderman's ailing grandmother before her death.

He was unable to resist temptation, a mistake which cost him his life.

"We went upstairs and smoked two or three spliffs then opened the vodka," Mr Alderman, also from Banbury, told the inquest.

"He (Mr Tait) said he didn't drink it straight so I went downstairs and got some Cherryade and came back up."

He said Mr Tait spoke to his mother an hour or so after that, before he came across the painkillers in a wardrobe.

The pair looked for some needles with which to take the drug, before realising it needed to be mixed with a liquid.

"There was a box of morphine," Mr Alderman said. "He (Mr Tait) said, 'have you got any needles?' I said, 'I don't know.'

"We looked through the box and there were no needles.

"Then he looked at the box and he said it had to be mixed with a soft drink."

Using the Cherryade, they knocked back the concoction before falling asleep.

Mr Alderman said the next thing he remembered was waking up.

He broke down in tears as he told the inquest: "I looked at his face and he looked extremely ill. He was blue with sick in his mouth and I just panicked."

An ambulance was called and Mr Tait was taken to Horton Hospital in Banbury where he was later pronounced dead.

A post-mortem showed his brain was "very swollen" and his lungs were "very congested". forensic pathologist Dr Nicholas Hunt told the inquest.

He was found to have a fatal amount of morphine in his system.

Recording a verdict of accidental death at Oxfordshire Coroner's Court, in Oxford, coroner Nick Gardiner said: "He (Mr Tait) lost his life but I'm sure he didn't take drugs other than in a careless fashion and that his death can properly be registered as an accident in that he didn't intend the result."

Speaking after the hearing, Mr Tait's uncle, Paul Boyle, from east London, said the inquest had "reopened the heartache" for Mr Tait's parents.

And he said though Jennifer and Matthew Tait had been in daily contact with their son, they had been unable to help him.

"They're absolutely traumatised. Ben died on his sister's birthday. It goes without saying that the entire family is distraught."

He said the teenager had been in trouble since the age of 14 - smoking cannabis, stealing to fund his drug habit and skipping school. He was once arrested for causing damage.

"They were prepared to try anything to help their child," he said. "Appearing on Brat Camp was one of the many things they did as good parents to help their child grow up into a responsible adult."

In their efforts to bring him back on to the straight and narrow, Mr Tait and his parents had taken part in the Channel 4 programme designed to help troubled teenagers mend their ways at a special camp in the United States.

But Mr Tait was unable to shake off his bad habits and in 2007, "happy slappings" of the teenager began to appear on the internet video site YouTube.

The boy went missing for a spell but was later found safe, following a local newspaper campaign and a police search.

©independent.co.uk
-------------- • -------------- • --------------