Author Topic: Is alcoholism REALLY genetic?  (Read 3447 times)

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
Is alcoholism REALLY genetic?
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2007, 11:53:11 PM »
I am all for the foster care system we have in this country.  It is far superior to institutions like orphanages.  But aside from a few life threatening and sexual abuse cases 99% of the kids should be sent back to their own homes.  There is no need to have close to 600,00 kids in foster care.  The bio parents of some of these kids are scary, yes, and have difficulty taking care of themselves let alone kids, but the damage done by the foster care system is far,far worse.

Beware of anyone saying:

“We're from the government. We're here to helpâ€
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline 3xsaSeedling

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2007, 11:56:49 PM »
Quote from: ""Nihilanthic""
I love how they say its a incurable DISEASE and I have a bottle of very good scotch within arms reach...

...and I'm not taking the cork out. I haven't since I had a shot on some ice when I took it home after a 42 hour work week!

And I probably won't for a while. I will keep it out of the light so it doesn't get too light struck, though, not so I "don't get tempted".

:roll: Would you believe I've got some beer in the fridge I'm not chugging either? Egads!

"It's not how much you 'do it'.  It's what it does to you."
Of all the things I\'ve ever lost, I miss my mind the most.
Wait...I found \'IT\'!!    
oh joy

"Fresh baked daily!"

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2007, 12:06:33 AM »
Quote from: ""Oz girl""
While I am certainly coming around to the view that a disease model can be less than helpful, I also don't see what is wrong with telling you co workers you cant drink if you need to not do it. Coming from a country with an extremely extensive alcohol culture i can see it as a useful social tool for somebody who truly has trouble with the drink if they are in a particularly mach culture. It may seem a cop out but if it works...
For example there is an old adage here that says never trust a man that wont join you in a cold beer. In some quarters particularly in the bush this is taken really seriously and can even cost someone a promotion at work because they are not social enough. So if somebody said "no thanks i dont drink" they would possibly be greeted with suspicion for being some kind of kill joy. If they said Im sorry i have a problem or i am a recovering alcoholic, all would be forgiven because " the poor bastard cant have a beer how rough"

20 years ago that might have been a problem in this country, but now (unless you are in sales) it is okay to just decline a drink and have coffee or soda.  It wont hurt your job directly.  But if your boss or bosses boss is going out with everyone for drinks and you decline you may hurt your career because you took yourself out of the social loop.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2007, 09:37:22 AM »
Whiskey gin and brandy
With a glass I'm pretty handy
I'm tryin' to walk a straight line
On sour mash and cheap wine
So join me for a drink boys
We gonna make a big noise
So don't worry 'bout tomorrow
Take it today
Forget about the cheque we'll get hell to pay

Have a drink on me
Yeah have a drink on me
Yeah have a drink on me
Have a drink on me
C'mon

I'm dizzy drunk and fightin'
On tequila white lightnin'
Yes my glass is getting shorter
On whiskey ice and water
Yeah so c'mon have a good time
And get blinded outta your mind
So don't worry 'bout tomorrow
Take it today
Forget about the cheque we'll get hell to pay

Have a drink on me
Yeah have a drink on me
Yeah have a drink on me
Have a drink on me
Get stoned

Have a drink on me
Have a drink on me
Have a drink on me
C'mon

Gonna roll around
Gonna hit the ground
Take another swing
Have another drink
Gonna drink you dry
Gonna get me high
C'mon all the boys
Make a noise
Have a drink on me (have a drink on me)
Have a drink on me
Have a drink on me

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2007, 05:36:41 PM »
I know many kids who experiment with drugs or alcohol in high school whose parents are recovering addicts or alcoholics are often some of the first kids to get sent away because their parent freaks out and thinks the kid is predisposed to addiction/alcoholism.  One kid I know never drank or even smoked cigaretes, much less pot and he got sent away because he had FRIENDS who did.  He was so resentful, he stayed on L1 longer than anyone else because he didn't want to work a program for a problem he didn't even have.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2007, 05:39:23 PM »
Quote from: ""3xsaSeedling""
I love how they say its a incurable DISEASE and I have a bottle of very good scotch within arms reach...

...and I'm not taking the cork out. I haven't since I had a shot on some ice when I took it home after a 42 hour work week!

And I probably won't for a while. I will keep it out of the light so it doesn't get too light struck, though, not so I "don't get tempted".

:roll: Would you believe I've got some beer in the fridge I'm not chugging either? Egads!

"It's not how much you 'do it'.  It's what it does to you."

Well it tastes good and stimulates my senses.. besides that and making me have to pee a whole lotta nothin'
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2007, 01:05:43 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
I know many kids who experiment with drugs or alcohol in high school whose parents are recovering addicts or alcoholics are often some of the first kids to get sent away because their parent freaks out and thinks the kid is predisposed to addiction/alcoholism.  One kid I know never drank or even smoked cigaretes, much less pot and he got sent away because he had FRIENDS who did.  He was so resentful, he stayed on L1 longer than anyone else because he didn't want to work a program for a problem he didn't even have.

What program?
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Is alcoholism REALLY genetic?
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2007, 05:04:42 PM »
My 'rents are convinced so.

My dad is alcoholic.

I'm a fucking snob who goes for high priced microbrews or imported trappist belgians... and I don't get cheap or popular scotches when I get them either. I talk to the guys who work there and get what they like.

I DONT DRINK TO GET DRUNK I SNOB OVER SMELLS AND TASTE. I SNIFF CORKS. I'm also buzzed now after a 42 hour work week.

ANYWAY, any truth behind it? Or is alcoholism = genetic = bullshit?

Alcoholism is more than likely a symptom of an underlying disorder. Perhaps the underlying condition may well be genetic, but certainly not alcoholism.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2007, 01:12:01 AM »
Smokey scotch is a symptom of an underlying burning mass of peat.

:P
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2007, 01:59:53 AM »
What does this topic have to do with TTI?

Offline felice

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2007, 02:06:57 AM »
Quote from: "TheWho"
I am all for the foster care system we have in this country.  It is far superior to institutions like orphanages.  But aside from a few life threatening and sexual abuse cases 99% of the kids should be sent back to their own homes.  There is no need to have close to 600,00 kids in foster care.  The bio parents of some of these kids are scary, yes, and have difficulty taking care of themselves let alone kids, but the damage done by the foster care system is far,far worse.

Beware of anyone saying:

“We're from the government. We're here to helpâ€

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
Re: Is alcoholism REALLY genetic?
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2007, 09:06:05 AM »
My 'rents are convinced so.

My dad is alcoholic.

I'm a fucking snob who goes for high priced microbrews or imported trappist belgians...

Domestic belgian micros are even better!

But to answer your question.... in my opinion NO.  Alcoholism is not genetic. What may be genetic is the personality that tends to act compulsive and hence, compulsively drink or compulsively abuse substances.  But in order to buy into the 'alcoholism is genetic' nonsense, one must also buy into the lie that it is a disease.  It is not.  Alcoholism, and all isms for that matter, are only diseases so the treatment industry and insurance companies can figure out a way to bill for them and also so steppers can pass the buck.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2007, 09:53:09 AM »
Nihilanthic is just as much a victim of the drug war--which cause him to doubt himself-- than anyone who posts here.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2007, 09:53:35 AM »
Nihilanthic is just as much a victim of the drug war--which cause him to doubt himself-- than anyone who posts here.

Offline Covergaard

• View Profile
    • http://www.carstenovergaard.dk
Not even the surroundings have an impact
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2007, 09:56:15 AM »
When I was a child, I saw Huset på Christianshavn every day. It was a family show. Here are two clips from Youtube

Making own beers. The wife who is entering the flat in the end was at that time the wife of the serving prime minister of Denmark. Unlike Arnold and Reagan housemembers of the serving politicians can be active actors.

Another clip

Notice there are beers everywhere and it is a family show. Some claim that it is the number of drinkers in your home that makes it more likely that you will end up consuming alcohol big time, when you are grown, but the funny thing is that it is the swedish youngsters, who are partying in Denmark, who ends up drunk.

While alcohol is seen among teenagers as young as 11 to 13, they have all sobered up when they are adult. It is not funny anymore.

I also have to link to this survey:

http://www.espad.org/sa/node.asp?node=652

about danish youth aged 13 - 15.

This survey, which coveres Europe hammer any suggestion that an early introduction to alcohol will destroy people lives, because we do not have the numbers of deaths, people in prison or even a high number of teenage pregnacies to back that statement.

Youth drink and after a while they discover that there are so many other things in the world, they would miss if they do not sober up and there is a lot of help to get because we all have tried to drink alcohol we also know how to stop. It can be done locally and in many case in the family without outside involvement.

We do not know what causes alcoholism. I saw a sign once:

I am not an alcoholic
I am a drunk
(Note: Alcoholics attend meetings)

Maybe it is the only difference.