Author Topic: Kids Helping Kids & ODADAS  (Read 1592 times)

Offline Deprogrammed

• View Profile
    • http://www.pathwayfamilycenter.fornits.com
Kids Helping Kids & ODADAS
« on: November 09, 2007, 04:38:24 AM »
To whom it may concern:
Kids Helping Kids/ A Pathway Family Center, located at 6970 Branch-Hill guinea Pike needs to be investigated and I will tell you why:
Towards the ending of 2005 3 people(survivors of Kids helping kids) filed complaints against the program and it's still current director Penny Walker. In one of those complaints the complainant swore that she had been sexually molested in Kids helping kids under by a female oldcomer at the time. The complainant also reported that she had brought this to numerous staff members attention including the director Penny Walker, and instead of calling the police so that the girl could file a formal complaint, Penny Walker directed her staff to threaten the girl to not graduate unless she stood up in group therapy(which means in front of the guys side* the girls side) to graphically relay the whole incident to the group. The girl was also threatened to not graduate by staff members under Penny Walker's direction unless she told her mother what had happened.
This same girl had also reported witnessing physical abuse of other clients by staff members, as well as emotional abuse by staff memebers to other clients and reported this in her complaint to ODADAS.
The second claimant, also a female survivor of Kids Helping Kids, in Hebron Kentucky, reported witnessing physical abuse and emotional abuse at same said program under the same direction of Penny Walker. This claimant also had reported being physically & emotionally abused by staff members under Penny Walkers direction as well.

The third claimant who attended the milford, ohio branch of Kids helping Kids in 2003, also reported being physically & psychologically abused by staff member and other clients under Penny Walker's direction.

All of the clamaints reported being physically* emotionally/psychologically abused by staff & other clients under the direction of Penny Walker(program director).

Note: in a 2005 WCPO channel 9 news spot Penny Walker admitted to these abusive tactics:

Inside Kids Helping Kids
Reported and Web Produced by:

Hagit Limor

WCPO

Photographed by: Anthony Mirones

November 13, 2005

Kids Helping Kids

Clyde Gray on set: Tonight, a rare look behind the walls of a controversial program to help kids kick drugs.

Carol Williams on set: The program is called Kids Helping Kids. It has support in high political offices.

But some call it a cult. What's the truth? The I-Team's Hagit Limor has been investigating.

Hagit Limor on set: Some say it saved their lives. Some say it scarred them for life. A program, or something to de-program?

For all the controversy, Kids Helping Kids let our cameras inside for an unprecedented look, behind the locked doors.

Penny Walker on videotape: "It is a secure facility. Our doors are locked."

Hagit Limor narration: YOU'RE ABOUT TO ENTER A PLACE OF DESPERATION AND HOPE.

WHERE THE TACTICS MAY SEEM BIZARRE

AND AT TIMES ROBOTIC.

BUT WHERE FUTURES, CHANGE.

Penny Walker on videotape: "We are a strong program. I won't deny that."

Hagit Limor narration: FOR THE BETTER?

Brandon Blaquiere on videotape: "I have a chance to get my life back."

Hagit Limor narration: OR WORSE.

Former KHK Graduate on videotape: "I feel like I've been trying to deprogram myself for years."

Hagit Limor on videotape: "Are you brainwashing?"

Penny Walker on videotape: (laughs) "No!"

Hagit Limor narration: IN THE EARLY MORNING, A CAR PULLS UP TO THIS NONDESCRIPT BUILDING IN MILFORD.

IT IS NO ORDINARY CAR POOL.

ONE TEEN CLEARLY IS IN CHARGE OF ANOTHER.

HE'S THE OLDCOMER, A VETERAN RESPONSIBLE FOR HIS NEWCOMER, WHO JUST ARRIVED AT KIDS HELPING KIDS.

Martha Logan on videotape: "There was no place else to turn."

Hagit Limor narration: PARENTS SAY IT'S THE DRUG TREATMENT OF LAST RESORT.

Martha Logan on videotape: "He threatened (chokes up) He threatened suicide twice and was in the hospital."

Hagit Limor narration: MARTHA LOGAN DRIVES 240 MILES A DAY TO TRANSPORT HER SON AND HIS NEWCOMERS WHO SPEND NIGHTS IN HER HOME TO A PROGRAM THAT COSTS MORE THAN $20,000, INSURANCE MAY OR MAY NOT COVER.

Current KHK Staffer: "Today what we're going to talk about is previous attempts at sobriety."

Hagit Limor narration: THE KIDS SIT IN RAP SESSIONS MUCH OF THE DAY.

Current KHK client: "I couldn't associate with anybody unless I was high."

Hagit Limor narration: NEWCOMERS, ON FIRST PHASE UP TO SIX MONTHS, CAN'T: GO HOME OR TO SCHOOL, LISTEN TO MUSIC, WATCH TV, OR TALK TO EACH OTHER. IN GROUP? NO ONE TALKS WITHOUT PERMISSION, THEY GET THROUGH CERTAIN HAND GESTURES.

Hagit Limor on videotape: "When you first came in and you saw this, what did you think of it?"

Brandon Blaquiere on videotape: "I thought everybody was crazy."

Hagit Limor narration: BRANDON BLAQUIERE'S BEEN HERE EIGHT MONTHS.

Brandon Blaquiere on videotape: "My use had started progressing to the point it was uncontrollable."

Hagit Limor narration: BLAQUIERE IS "WORKING THE PROGRAM." THAT MEANS RAISING YOUR ARM RAMROD STRAIGHT, IN GROUP SESSIONS, SINGING KIDS' SONGS AND ON CUE DOING THIS. THEY CALL IT: MOTIVATING.

YOU HAVE TO PARTICIPATE TO PROGRESS TO PHASE TWO - YOU GET TO GO TO YOUR OWN HOME AT NIGHT. PHASE THREE - YOU GO BACK TO SCHOOL. 5 PHASES IN ALL, TO GRADUATE.

Hagit Limor on videotape: "What about the motivating and the arm holding and the hand gestures has helped you kick drugs?"

Brandon Blaquiere on videotape: "When staff sees me raise my hand all day long or staff sees me motivate 'til I'm about to fall out of my chair / It shows that I have willingness. You know these things are so simple that they mean so much."

Ed Norton on videotape: "The hand signals, the waving of your hands in the air, the sitting there all day is insane."

Hagit Limor narration: ED NORTON'S PARENTS PULLED HIM OUT OF THE PROGRAM HE CALLS:

Ed Norton on videotape: "It's a cult. / They tell you it's a long term program. They don't say it's a brainwashing camp."

Former KHK Graduate on videotape: "I didn't know who I was any more. I identified with them so much I lost who I am."

Hagit Limor narration: THIS GRADUATE TOOK 16 MONTHS TO GET THROUGH THE PROGRAM.

Former KHK Graduate on videotape: "I call it brainwashing. I call it cult-like tactics."

Hagit Limor narration: WHY? FIRST, THERE'S "CONTROL" BY OTHER KIDS.

Former KHK Graduate on videotape: "Oldcomers have complete power over you."

Ed Norton on videotape: "They'd throw me to the ground. Usually my head would hit the ground pretty hard and everyone's got to turn their head the other way."

Hagit Limor narration: THERE'S NO "PRIVACY", ANYWHERE, EVER.

THEN THERE'S WHAT WE HEARD IN THIS SMALLER SESSION FOR KIDS IN LATER PHASES:

Current KHK client: "It's really hard / saying I can't talk to you."

Hagit Limor narration: THEY CAN'T TALK TO OUTSIDERS NOT APPROVED BY KHK.

Former KHK Graduate on videotape: "This is why I do classify this place as a cult, because you're not allowed to make any contact with people outside the program. If you do the other oldcomers that are with you at school are supposed to tell on you."

Hagit Limor narration: AND THAT COULD GET YOU STARTED OVER, FROM PHASE ONE.

Diane Norton on videotape: "No one should be abused emotionally or physically in the name of treatment."

Hagit Limor narration: ED NORTON'S PARENTS SAY HE STILL HAS NIGHTMARES ABOUT HIS TIME AT KHK. HE'S SOBER NOW, IN JAIL.

Penny Walker on videotape: "We don't abuse our kids!"

Hagit Limor narration: PENNY WALKER'S RUN KIDS HELPING KIDS FOR 23 YEARS.

Penny Walker on videotape: "We deal with difficult kids and sometimes difficult families and we're not going to please everybody."

Hagit Limor narration: WALKER SAYS THE PROGRAM HAS CHANGED OVER TIME, ELIMINATING SOME OF THE EXTREME RESTRAINTS FORMER CLIENTS DESCRIBED TO THE I-TEAM.

Hagit Limor on videotape: "When kids have power over kids, can that be abused?"

Penny Walker on videotape: "It can be. We watch very diligently for that. / What has changed is we don't tolerate violence any more. We used to."
Hagit Limor narration: SO WHY NEED ALL THOSE RULES AND STRANGE BEHAVIORS?

Penny Walker on videotape: "It's part of the discipline and the structure. / Certainly I understand that motivating looks bizarre / It's good exercise. I mean, the kids sitting in there in group for long periods of time, it really gets their blood moving and that kind of thing."

Hagit Limor narration: BOTH THE STATE OF OHIO AND BUTLER COUNTY RECENTLY INVESTIGATED KIDS HELPING KIDS, AND FOUND NO EVIDENCE OF ABUSE OR NEGLECT. THE PROGRAM TOUTS SUPPORT FROM LOCAL SENATORS, REPRESENTATIVES AND BUSINESS LEADERS.

WALKER SAYS THE PROGRAM IS NOT A CULT.

Hagit Limor on videotape: "Are you brainwashing?"

Penny Walker on videotape: "No! I don't think we're brain washing them. / We're not trying to control their minds. We're trying to give THEM control. We're trying to empower kids to make good decisions for themselves."

Hagit Limor narration: THE LONG DAY ENDS AS THE KIDS MOVE TO THEIR HOST HOMES, WHERE THE RULES REMAIN, AS DOES THE CONTROVERSY.

Hagit Limor on videotape: "Without this where would your son be or where would you be?" Martha Logan: "Dead. Either I'd be dead or he'd be dead."

Hagit Limor narration: BUT SOME PARENTS DISAGREE.

Peter Norton on videotape: "I was appalled at the stripping away of all rights."

Hagit Limor narration: WHILE SOME CALL IT THERAPY

Brandon Blaquiere on videotape: "I would not have finished school. I don't think I'd be alive today."

Hagit Limor narration: OTHERS CALL IT OVER THE LINE

Former KHK Graduate on videotape: "I feel like I've been trying to deprogram myself for years."

Hagit Limor on set: The director of Kids Helping Kids also sent us a follow-up email to stress: "Kids Helping Kids is a community, not a cult." She says all those rules provide the structure these kids need to kick drugs.

And I want to point out, we blurred the faces of teens to hide the identities of all but those whom Penny Walker told us we had permission through the kids and their parents.

My question to the proper investigating authorities is this:
What are you going to do about this woman (Penny Walker) who clearly shows a pattern of abuse & abusive tactics?
My other question to the proper investigating authorities is :
If she used to tolerate abuse what makes you think for a second that she doesn't still "tolerate abuse" and let it go on? Especially when this woman has admittedly been the director of this same program for 23 years.

Please investigate thoroughly. Make an unannounced couple of visits to Kids Helping Kids. Interview more than one newcomer(newcomer meaning been at the program only a few days to a couple of weeks), and ask that newcomer if they were strip searched by other clients or at all on their intake.
Ask some kids just how long at a time they have to sit in solitary. Ask some kids how long they sleep on average per night.
Actually do some real investigating.

Now I would like to tell you on what basis those complaints were originally denied by ODADAS:
They based there investigation soley on Penny Walkers answers to their questions, as well as a very unthorough investigation from a CPS worker instead of doing their own investigation.

The paper trail is around to prove it. Look it up investigators!
Please look it up!

thank you for your thoughtful attention to this post.
Sincerely,
-DP
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"So, you can make me cum ...that doesn\'t make you, Jesus"....Tori Amos copyright
Read about Pathway Family Centers here.

Offline Deprogrammed

• View Profile
Bump
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 02:25:15 AM »
::bump::
"So, you can make me cum ...that doesn\'t make you, Jesus"....Tori Amos copyright

Offline wdtony

• View Profile
    • http://www.pfctruth.com
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 06:23:22 PM »
Right on!  Do some real investigating. These are no petty crimes.
Pathway Family Center Truth = http://www.pfctruth.com

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 11:24:55 PM »
Even if they made an unannounced visit to group, it wouldn't matter.  Those kids will jump through any hoops once appropriately brainwashed.  There are the rare few that would act out, but they would probably be whisked away.  Not to be a downer, but I really don't see how KHK is ever going to get shut down.  Sounds like it's gotten tamer anyways (no i'm not advocating kids being in there, it's still abuse, just in a different, less visible form) Plus any disgruntled kid will be labeled a problem, and the authorities will hope that he comes around.  Penny will show them a shinning 5th phaser, and recall how he used to be just as angry as nonworking first phaser, and look how the program helped them!!  it's the same cycle that has kept that place open for how long? through how many name changes?

Offline wdtony

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 12:05:40 AM »
Then there needs to be more emphasis on the brainwashing aspect. Without understanding this, the public will never know what is going on. There must be legislation put in place by our government, which is a very slow beaurocratic road.

NEW-AGE-CULT

Offline Deprogrammed

• View Profile
I don't care....
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 01:39:45 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Even if they made an unannounced visit to group, it wouldn't matter.  Those kids will jump through any hoops once appropriately brainwashed.  There are the rare few that would act out, but they would probably be whisked away.  Not to be a downer, but I really don't see how KHK is ever going to get shut down.  Sounds like it's gotten tamer anyways (no i'm not advocating kids being in there, it's still abuse, just in a different, less visible form) Plus any disgruntled kid will be labeled a problem, and the authorities will hope that he comes around.  Penny will show them a shinning 5th phaser, and recall how he used to be just as angry as nonworking first phaser, and look how the program helped them!!  it's the same cycle that has kept that place open for how long? through how many name changes?

I am never going to give up hope or stop trying b/c I have to try for future generations, and I just plain don't want to stop. I can be a stubborn woman like that....lol
BTW I fwded my letter to Ted Strickland Governor of Ohio.
-DP

Offline wdtony

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 02:03:28 AM »
The truth shall set you free! Or in this case, the truth shall set youths of the future free that will never know what they might have went through.

It's worth it if you been there. For me it is.

keep an eye out for, "THE CULT OF TOMORROW"  It may appear to not be a cult!

Whenever I hear anyone arguing for slavery, I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally.    -Abraham Lincoln