Author Topic: Those Queasy Emo Goodbye Raps  (Read 1615 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Those Queasy Emo Goodbye Raps
« on: June 24, 2003, 01:09:00 AM »
When a staff member would leave straight atlanta, they would have these "goodbye raps". The staff member would play a song on guitar like Country Roads, or Cats in the Cradle, or Dan Fogelberg music, or something really that was designed to get the tears... and it worked! The entire group would come unglued as these staff members poured out their guts in this "campfire setting" and bade their last farewells. Hell, even I cried and I don't cry easy. A couple of times I had to make myself cry just to fit in though. I mean, I didn't really know these people, so what was all the fuss.

But man, it was like a mass overwhelming orgy of grief, spiked with a hyper-sentimentality, that skated that razor edge of pure bullshit ever so carefully like a professional tightrope walker! We would get so attatched to these staff members because we weren't allowed to have "real friends" that occur naturally in a natural environ. So, all we had were these flashes in the pan with strangers, these new artificially inseminated relationships, that were so interactive and loud, and when BOOM, they up and get a real paying job... it was all over for us, we were beside ourselves, hysterically crying because now even our PSEUDO-friends were being stolen away from us!  ::drummer::
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline ehm

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2003, 11:31:00 AM »
::rocker::

Offline Don Smith

• View Profile
    • http://straightincalumni.com
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2003, 12:12:00 PM »
I know that there were a number of Staff that said their good-byes but I guess I really didn't care, or I don't remember.  The two staffers that I really liked just left one day without saying good bye.
I was a Trainee when Dave Momper left. I was never so happy as the day he left.  I thought he would be out of my life forever.
But wouldn't you know it.  In July 1984 Keith Ellis and I were in Sanible Island, Florida walking down the beach when who should we see coming the other way?  Dave Momper. I nearly screamed NOOOOOO! :eek:   Of all the staffers I had to run in to over 1000 miles from home this was the LAST guy I ever wanted to see.  
I remember when I left Staff, I wanted to say good bye to the group, but because I was a lowly good for nothing Trainee, they wouldn't let me.  A-holes!
Don
t\'s not for me to question How God will provide for my needs. I only have to Know that He will.

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2003, 12:50:00 PM »
Yes, it was strange how we would cling to any port in a storm. I remember how bummed I was that Steve Lund was leaving staff. He was my first oldcomer, and a real prick of an oldcomer at that. Still, later on, when he was on staff, he would call on me a lot, give me "out-of-group" pep-talks when I was losing it for whatever reason. So I was truly upset by his leaving. I think I almost cried. So he was a mixed bag in that way; and it shows how desperate I was for anything resembling a friendship, albeit of someone in "high standing."

Offline wayeast

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2003, 06:19:00 PM »
When Mrs. Byrd left Atlanta (for Alexandria, VA?), they made us learn the song "Tell Me Why," which was apparently one of her favorites.  I don't remember anyone crying but her, though.

As I recall, they had us sing it to her in open group with the parents there, which was probably really *touching* from the parents' perspective.

Golly, what a moment.  "Love ya, Mrs. Byrd!" ::puke::

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2003, 07:08:00 PM »
I'm hoping that it wasn't "Tell Me Why" by Neil Young. Please, say it wasn't! It was probably that little ditty that goes "Tell me why the stars do shine...etc..." right?

Offline wayeast

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2003, 08:57:00 PM »
I'd never heard the song before, but it wasn't Neil Young. You had the words right; it was the ditty about stars shining, ivy twining, and the sky being blue.

It ended with:

/~ because god made you, that's why I love you ~/

heeeewwwwboy, here comes lunch.

Offline JDavid

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/moondiggum
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2003, 01:30:00 PM »
"Overwhelming orgy of grief"  :lol: that's funny.  I never was emotional like that, but I know what you are talking about, even though I never saw a goodbye rap that I remember.  We had other stuff happen.  I think most of them were actually finding those overwhelming grief outbursts in their devastation over being in Straight.  That's just the idea I got from it.  The things coming out of their mouths had nothing to do with why they were balling their eyes out.

Offline ClayL

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2003, 10:52:00 AM »
I can remember having to motivate like hell, praying to God that I wouldn't get called on because all I had to say was GOOD RIDDENCE!

However, I can remember a couple of staffers, like Dean Keenan, whom I was truly sad to see go

Me, I never had a good-bye rap. Could have had something to do with the letter I sent out calling straight a bunch of neo-nazi's. I could be wrong though....

CL