Author Topic: What's the deal with the Next-Gen Gaulds?  (Read 3682 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
What's the deal with the Next-Gen Gaulds?
« on: May 25, 2007, 03:40:27 PM »
I'm from the Legg/Gauld era, so I'm well aquainted with the problems associated with that time and those personalities.  When I knew Mal and Laura and Laurie and Paul back then they seemed--ok.  Haven't heard much from this board about how the school is run under their leadership (aside from the Dubinsky story).  Joe is, well, old--and therefore one assumes that his direct influence will end. Can one hope that this happy band of high-school sweethearts will help Hyde realize its Unique Potential? Do tell.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: What's the deal with the Next-Gen Gaulds?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 04:42:56 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
I'm from the Legg/Gauld era, so I'm well aquainted with the problems associated with that time and those personalities.  When I knew Mal and Laura and Laurie and Paul back then they seemed--ok.  Haven't heard much from this board about how the school is run under their leadership (aside from the Dubinsky story).  Joe is, well, old--and therefore one assumes that his direct influence will end. Can one hope that this happy band of high-school sweethearts will help Hyde realize its Unique Potential? Do tell.

Mal, Laurie, Paul, Laura, GiGi, Don, plus Claire, Ken, JoAnne, etc. too numerous to think of at the moment -- all bought into the company line.  Plenty damage, not just Dubinsky, has been wrought during their era.

As to the following generation, too early to tell.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 06:24:00 PM »
I am curious about the autistic son... I gather that Malcolm and Laura did NOT see fit to have him attend Hyde.  I guess one size does not fit all when it comes to their own, ha!
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 10:00:35 PM »
Quote from: ""Ursus""
I am curious about the autistic son... I gather that Malcolm and Laura did NOT see fit to have him attend Hyde.  I guess one size does not fit all when it comes to their own, ha!

The son stays in Maine with Mal.  Mama Laura is Headmaster of Woodstock campus.  I don't want to judge, but if I had a child with multiple problems, I would try to be in the same state in order to help him.  As I said, I don't know the exact situation at this time, but last I heard she is in Woodstock during the week and in Bath on the weekends.  I wonder who watches over Woodstock on the weekends? Doesn't seem like the ideal situation to me, but is anything at Hyde ideal?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 05:55:53 AM »
Their son is not high school age yet and LG goes to Maine ONE weekend a month.  Mal and Harrison come down to Woodstock the other THREE.  Laura's changed Hyde Woodstock for the better in so many ways.  And the way she works (open office policy, character culture by example, does Duty and teaches) she should be lauded not raked over the coals.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 06:41:52 AM »
Their son is not high school age yet and LG goes to Maine ONE weekend a month.  Mal and Harrison come down to Woodstock the other THREE.  Laura's changed Hyde Woodstock for the better in so many ways.  And the way she works (open office policy, character culture by example, does Duty and teaches) she should be lauded not raked over the coals.

When Laura took over Woodstock it was announced that she would go to Bath on the weekends.  If you are correct, then this has changed and she only goes up there one weekend a month

Your opinion is that Woodstock is changed for the better and that "character culture by example" exists.  My opinion is the opposite.  Doesn't matter whether it is Woodstock or Bath I still stand behind the fact that Hyde teaches one thing but practices another.  I hope my future kids don't follow the Gauld's example.  Reading this board clues one into the fact that they are total  hypocrites and set a very bad example for kids.  This includes all the family who operate the school yet do not adhere to morality that I feel is important in life.  Sorry but I see Hyde as toxic as ever based on the fact that the same staff who have been around since it's inception is still there with the same mind set.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 07:03:12 AM »

I have no reason to be critical of Laura Gauld.  I don't know her, but I'm willing to believe she has had a positive influence and is a decent person.

But, and this is a big but, changing the person at the helm doesn't instantly clean up the mess underneath.  That's like putting a new CEO in charge of a pervasively incompetent and hypocritical workforce.  Or like putting a new manager in charge of a hopelessly last-place baseball team.  Things change extraordinarily slowly, if at all.  Have you noticed how some bankrupt companies just can't be turned around?  How some last-place baseball franchises never make it into the upper echelon?  Maybe Laura G. can pull it off, but I doubt it.  As someone else said, you can put tons of lipstick on a pig; in the end it's still a pig.

Hyde is a last-place baseball team that's likely to stay there, no matter who is at the helm.  The Hyde model is the Hyde model, and the other teams are passing it by, quickly.  Hyde has these lofty ideals that simply don't fit its students or staff.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 01:37:35 PM »
I have no reason to be critical of Laura Gauld.  I don't know her, but I'm willing to believe she has had a positive influence and is a decent person.

But, and this is a big but, changing the person at the helm doesn't instantly clean up the mess underneath.  That's like putting a new CEO in charge of a pervasively incompetent and hypocritical workforce.  Or like putting a new manager in charge of a hopelessly last-place baseball team.

I think that Laura Gauld, who seems to be basically a decent person, is nevertheless either wearing hefty blinders or is in total denial about certain features of Hyde or what Hyde has done to some people.  Given her long history with the place, I don't know whether to pity her or feel more than a little impatience.

Just where is the accountability?  Hyde does XYZ to student and family ABC, and everyone passes the buck.  It's always someone else's fault... the parents, the student, the times, the former administration...  So guess what?  Hyde does XYZ to student and family DEF.  And everyone passes the buck once again.

We may be talking about a generation that has passed between ABC and DEF.  And that just makes it harder for most people to connect the dots.  But most of the people who went through Hyde in the early days are still alive, and at least some of them are still hurting.  That's a long time to hurt.  

You would think Hyde should make reparations, given their stance on taking responsibility for one's actions, or, at the very least, attempt to address how and why this shit still goes on.  The truth is, they are still busy passing the buck.

At some point, Hyde needs to stop and say, "The buck stops here."  Any chance in hell they'll do this?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 08:11:54 PM »
What happened to Duncan McCrann?  What's the story behind his departure?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 01:55:49 PM »
k well although they have 3 children we all now 1 of them wont be capable of living on to rule the hyde domain due to mental retardation. So that leaves 2 people Scout Gauld and Mahalia Gauld. I dont think these 2 kids will ever run hyde. If they do it will not be in the way it is run now. They grew up in the generation who didnt beileve in hyde. The past 3 years hyde is just going further and further downhill. I would not expect to see mahalia gauld as headmaster of hyde school. I dont personally now scout she was a freshman this year and i left abotu a month in. To my knowldge the gauld children are a problem on their own drinking in the gauld house the day after graduation with senoirs. I think the next person you will see working at hyde whos parent works there is tommy bragg. I dont see how he couldnt come back. Unless he goes on to do something better. But then again he grew up on the hyde campus what other oppurtunities will he have after his sheletered ass life.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 02:27:22 PM »
k well although they have 3 children we all now 1 of them wont be capable of living on to rule the hyde domain due to mental retardation. So that leaves 2 people Scout Gauld and Mahalia Gauld. I dont think these 2 kids will ever run hyde. If they do it will not be in the way it is run now. They grew up in the generation who didnt beileve in hyde. The past 3 years hyde is just going further and further downhill. I would not expect to see mahalia gauld as headmaster of hyde school. I dont personally now scout she was a freshman this year and i left abotu a month in. To my knowldge the gauld children are a problem on their own drinking in the gauld house the day after graduation with senoirs. I think the next person you will see working at hyde whos parent works there is tommy bragg. I dont see how he couldnt come back. Unless he goes on to do something better. But then again he grew up on the hyde campus what other oppurtunities will he have after his sheletered ass life.

I thought Harrison (?) was autistic.  Of course that, diagnostically speaking, can span the range from smart-as-a-whip Asperger's to the severely impaired.

Thanks for your insight.  It certainly conjures up an interesting picture, to say the least!  Ha!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
gaulds
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2007, 07:50:25 PM »
yeah harrison is a dumbass and mahlia is weird and reallly ugly

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
gaulds
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2007, 07:51:43 PM »