Author Topic: 15 Year Old Runs From Island View  (Read 6437 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
15 Year Old Runs From Island View
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2007, 03:42:17 PM »
The girl was in the program since March and apparently was considered non-troubled enough to go home for a family visit, then fly back to the program by herself but not QUIT THE PROGRAM as she apparently wanted to do?   What's wrong with this picture?  The girl ran away rather than return to the program.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2007, 08:53:43 PM »
Quote from: "Guest"
From the Island View Residential Treatment Center's Website:

Making a Deal under the Table is a self-defeating pattern for both parent and child that inevitably comes to roost after discharge. Motivation for such a ‘deal’ varies but sabotages treatment and renders the Center powerless in bringing about lasting change with the child. Let us give you some examples:

The parent is pressured by the child into coming home for a visit without the treatment team's approval and recommendation.

A parent is persuaded by Mr. Manipulation to come home for good as soon as he achieves the ‘Impact’ status without consultation with the treatment team.

You can readily see the pattern. A parent, feeling guilty for the ‘pain’ the child has to go through as part of the treatment process, feels compelled to “throw the child a bone.’ Holding a ‘carrot’ in front of the child is well and good, but not without the inclusion and discussion of the treatment team. The result of this type of misplaced reward or poor attempt of behavior modification inevitably spells disaster. The child is coached to put on an act in order to gain a short-term reward without internalizing a genuine change.

Inevitably, every year a small handful of parents fall into this trap. When we become aware of this ‘secret deal making’, we ask the parent to withdraw their child from the Center, as we simply are rendered powerless to bring about genuine change in the youngster.

‘Enmeshment’ or Blurred Boundaries between the role of Parent and Child – is a problem that is particularly difficult to rectify as many parents who are enmeshed with their child are ‘blind’ to the situation. Without rehearsing a number of psychiatric and psychological terms, let us give you a few examples:

Even though the rules are that a resident on ‘Orientation’ Status is restricted to two phone calls home per week, and the therapist has a weekly phone session with the family, the parent calls the Center every day, inquiring of anybody she/he can get a hold of, about the general well being of the child.

On a phone call home, the child tells his parents that he is depressed, and doesn’t know if he can make it through the rest of the week without ‘blowing up and losing his level.’ He states that the teachers don’t give him any help in school, and his houseparents pick on him, expecting more from him than any other kid on his team. The parents respond to the child by sharing their frustration about this and reassure him that they will take care of it. They call and ask that the therapist be pulled out of a session for an urgent call. Once on the phone, they state that they’ve just talked to their son, and he seems desperate. They ask that the therapist meet with him right away to prevent him from blowing up. They share their concern that the child is not getting the help he needs, and that until he does, he should not be accountable for his actions.

When a child shares her disappointment with her father that she was denied a level she applied for, he immediately contacts the center, demanding to know the reason why. He suggests that this disappointment is not helpful to his daughter’s self-esteem, and that perhaps the expectations placed on her are too high.

During a family therapy session, a child’s therapist confronts him in front of his parents about his recent aggressive and bullying behavior towards several of his teammates. She outlines the hurtful impact of this behavior, and establishes a further consequence should this behavior continue. When she asks the parents how they feel about this, his mother, clearly upset, states that she is uncomfortable with the stern tone of voice used by the therapist. She suggests that maybe before the therapist singles out their son, she should find out what her son’s teammates may have done to provoke him.

A child is placed at Island View by her parents for drug dependency, oppositional defiance and depression. In family therapy, her parents disclose that they have had marital problems for many years. Her mother also shares with the therapist that she was not as supportive of sending her daughter away to Island view, but that he was adamant about placing him. Together, they acknowledge that they often use their daughter as a buffer to avoid dealing with their relationship problems. They agree to see a marriage counselor at home to address these problems. After five months of treatment, the mother calls her child’s therapist and tells him that she is pulling her daughter from treatment. She states that her daughter has cried nonstop during the last three phone calls, and she feels she is losing her spirit. She states that she will arrive at Island view by the weekend to pick her up. When the therapist asks if the child’s father feels the same way, the mother states that they are separating with the intention to divorce. She decides to rescue her daughter and bring her back home to live with her.

On a phone call home, a child tells his mother he is confused about a recent intervention, and voices frustration about how to handle it. His mother, having just heard from the therapist the purpose of the intervention, wants to help her son feel better. She tells him why they are doing it, and what emotion they are trying to illicit from him. She suggests to her son that if he just gave his staff what they are looking for, they would probably get off his back.

All of these case examples have the same underlying flaws of a parent-child relationship. What is it they all share in common? Parents who use the child to deal with their own problems or parents who fail the child by not allowing the adolescent to deal with the consequences of his or her behavior.

While it is normal and to a degree expected for a parent to protect a child, some parents literally "protect their child" into profound psycho-social pathology. How do they do it? By mitigating, rescuing and ‘red-crossing’ the child from experiencing the natural consequences for maladaptive behavior Ã

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2007, 09:03:33 PM »
That's the most fucking disgusting thing I've ever had the displeasure of reading.

On the up-side, it makes me glad that they had to write it, because its existence means that they've lost a lot of business this way.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2007, 09:13:14 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
That's the most fucking disgusting thing I've ever had the displeasure of reading.

On the up-side, it makes me glad that they had to write it, because its existence means that they've lost a lot of business this way.

You haven't seem sickl. This is from utah boy's ranch/ westridge academy.

any ideas on why they changed the name? Death? Rape? What was it that made them decide: "let's insert our past into the memory hole"

What Your Child May Do
Typically your child will be uncomfortable or in denial as to the reasons he/she is here. He/she may try several types of manipulation to get your attention and to help himself/herself cope. Usually, these are the same manipulative or coping behaviors he/she used with you in the past. It is our goal to change those negative behaviors so your child can function appropriately in society. You may see the following attempts at manipulation:

• Deathbed Repentance. Examples include “I see the errors of my ways.â€

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2007, 09:15:00 PM »
Fear Factor. Example: “All my roommates are drug addicts or gay.â€

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2007, 09:47:54 PM »
I pity the children whose parents buy into this propaganda.  But then again, when you have ed and par cons selling tough love as the answer to entitlement-itis or SURVIVING YOUR TEEN, I suppose that is a big, big part of the problem.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2007, 05:17:56 PM »
I'm sorry, but if you don't see the problem with that place just reading that shit and send your kids afterwards, you're just as guilty as they are.

This is why Fornits attacks parents so much. There's so many gigantic red flags ("Warning, your kid might complain of being abused here, don't believe him, believe us, etc") that it can't be passed off as "I didn't know". You didn't know? They practically fucking advertised it! Seriously, how much of a dumbass do you have to BE?! Even the dumbest man on Earth who knows how to use a computer should be able to see something wrong with this.

And then they're surprised when their kids hate them. Wow! Can't possibly imagine how THAT happened! Wow, what do you mean your kid used to be a pothead and got on cocaine a week after he left? I'm so sorry for your negative experience. No one could have possibly foreseen that!

Katrina and the levees, every single day.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2007, 05:44:31 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
I'm sorry, but if you don't see the problem with that place just reading that shit and send your kids afterwards, you're just as guilty as they are.

This is why Fornits attacks parents so much. There's so many gigantic red flags ("Warning, your kid might complain of being abused here, don't believe him, believe us, etc") that it can't be passed off as "I didn't know". You didn't know? They practically fucking advertised it! Seriously, how much of a dumbass do you have to BE?! Even the dumbest man on Earth who knows how to use a computer should be able to see something wrong with this.

And then they're surprised when their kids hate them. Wow! Can't possibly imagine how THAT happened! Wow, what do you mean your kid used to be a pothead and got on cocaine a week after he left? I'm so sorry for your negative experience. No one could have possibly foreseen that!

Katrina and the levees, every single day.

Its not that easy, you were in a program most parents have never heard of them until a few weeks before their kids attend one and they may have a child who is manipulative so they will have reason to believe the counselors and staff.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2007, 07:02:59 PM »
I'm not going to dignify that with anything other than :roll:.