Author Topic: Salesmanhip Club Wilderness Program  (Read 1614 times)

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
Salesmanhip Club Wilderness Program
« on: June 16, 2003, 01:01:00 PM »
Hey Fellow Watchdogs,
I know a 16 yo teen girl who is about to be placed in a program, unless I have the opportunity to convince her mom otherwise.

She was incarcerated at Laurel Ridge (Brown Schools) for a short stay, then came home and got into some trouble- stole her adult half-sisters car, hid it and used it ocassionally. She was apprehended last week while driving it. She was also in possession of numerous drugs. She is in juvie until a placement can be arranged.

They are considering a wilderness camp funded by the Salesmanship Club in Dallas. A group of local business people. The Byran Nelson Golf Tourney raises millions (5+ this year) to support this program every year.

One- does anyone know the poop on this program?
Two- she is going somewhere unless I can stop it. Any suggestions, first-hand knowledge of a program that treats teens with respect and doesn't limit contact with family or employ abusive BM techniques?

My heart is breaking, as most of you know my opinion of the industry in general. :rofl:  But, here I am. And, I need to do everything I can to ensure she doesn't land in the hands of abusers...if that is possible.
Thanks,
Deborah
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline ehm

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2003, 06:16:00 PM »
I know how it was 20 years ago...

It's an outdoor boot-camp prison.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2003, 07:05:00 PM »
Could you elaborate, please.
Some specifics. And if you know if there have been any complaints filed or abuse charges, anything of that nature.
Thanks
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline ehm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2003, 11:45:00 PM »
I was there for 18 months about 20 years ago.
You can contact me if you like.
 [email protected]

Offline FaceKhan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2003, 12:23:00 AM »
If these things worked then kids would not go from program to program each time the programming wears off. The wildnerness programs convince the kid it was the best time of their life for about 3 months afterwards then they wake up. The gulag schools just take their will to live.

When are people gonna get it that bad behavior is not a mental illness and can't be "cured".

If there was such a thing as a good program I would try to find one. Problem is that none of these methods have been shown to be successful, so even if a program were run by the most qualified and decent people in the world and there was no isolation or abuse I would still feel like I was lying if I told you it works.

Still there are a few programs that are probably safer and "better" than the others that are run by people with more than just money and power on their minds.

If I had to mention a wildnerness program by name and I hate doing this then you might want to look into Anasazi (Anasazi Foundation/ http://www.anasazi.org). I think it is in Arizona.  I can't speak from personal experience and I have never spoken to anyone there but it has been around a long time and is almost always held up in contrast to the programs that make the news because of accidents and abuse. No deaths or newsworthy accidents to my knowledge, and they claim masters degrees as the minimum education for the counselors.

Ones to avoid are obviously those with any WWASP, CEDU/Brown connections and those that don't provide a set time table or offer. Also avoid anything run by Steve Cartisano. Also I have heard bad things about the SUWS programs.

This is in lieu of juvenile prison right?  

If there is no real choice in a program or not I would suggest you find the shortest one possible that is not just a boot camp.

[ This Message was edited by: FaceKhan on 2003-06-16 21:34 ]

[ This Message was edited by: FaceKhan on 2003-06-16 21:40 ]
All of the darkness of the world cannot put out the light of one small candle.\"