Author Topic: Jamaica No Problem..says Tranquility Bay  (Read 1741 times)

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
Jamaica No Problem..says Tranquility Bay
« on: June 13, 2003, 09:19:00 PM »
The CR government indicated that 4 "feared" staff at Dundee were deported to Jamaica.
Kay says 'absolutely false'.
He speaks of Lichfield (Dundee) as if they were perfect strangers. The media can be a powerful tool when one wants to spin a web of illusion.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/htm ... ty_bay.asp

Jamaica no problem, says Tranquility Bay

BY PETRE WILLIAMS Observer staff reporter
Sunday, June 08, 2003
Excerpts

At the same time, he [Kay] expressed reservations regarding the allegations about the Costa Rican facility, but said he would be outraged were they found to be true.

"If there are substantiated cases of abuses that have been alleged then I would not only be disturbed but I would be outraged. I fully support the government's investigation into such allegations. I think it's mandatory but I do feel the government could have approached things on a more proactive basis so as not to create such a chaotic situation at the school as has been reported," he said.

Added Kay: "I mean, I've been doing this about 10 years, and after dealing with thousands of kids quite often you'll find many embellishments in their report and that's not to say they are not accurate. But kids clearly operate on an agenda.

"A number of the kids that I have spoken to were at the facility in Costa Rica. First hand, they have not substantiated the allegations. But I haven't been there so it is hard for me to comment..." said Kay.

"Tranquility Bay is not abusive and I can supply kids who will say we are not abusive and who were there for two years..." he added.

"We don't USUALLY have a problem there (at Tranquility Bay) with sanitation," a Health Department official WHO REQUESTED ANONYMITY told the Sunday Observer.

Added the official: "We do not have checks like monthly and so, but I would say once every three months. We look for wastewater disposal, sewage disposal, and pests. We look at the drainage, the canteen, and the bathrooms. And over the period we have never had any adverse conditions as such," the official said.

"You will find little things here and there that need to be remedied and we usually get that done. For instance, like at the canteen you would find a broken window or so and say, 'okay, get this put in place' and they USUALLY comply."
Anonymity.. Usually..leaves alot to the imagination. Cleaver. Put ALL the focus on sanitation to minimize the abuse.

"We haven't had any more incidents happening there since that one (suicide)," Corporal Allecia Stewart of the Constabulary Communication Network told the newspaper.

But she said the cops on patrol DID NOT ACTUALLY GO ON THE COMPOUND. "They just speak to personnel FROM THE OUTSIDE OF THE GATE to check to see if everything is fine."

Kay said the facility enjoyed a good relationship with Jamaican state agencies and he dismissed charges that his operation lacked transparency, saying he had no problem with people touring the facility, as long as the privacy of the teenagers was not compromised.

"Everything's fine" must imply that there are no student uprisings or suicides. They obviously aren't there looking for abuse or neglect.

The paper provides a message board and invites folks to "Talk Back" about this article. There is only one post which reads:

Posted by: Lou St. John  
Posted on: Monday, June 09, 2003 at 12:22:33 AM  
Comments: If "the cops on patrol did not actually go on the compound" how on earth do they know whether there are problems there or not. Maybe Jamaicans for Justice should drop in unexpectedly, or Amnesty International.

Deborah
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline spots

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2003, 07:10:00 PM »
Quote:

The paper provides a message board and invites folks to "Talk Back" about this article. There is only one post which reads:

Posted by: Lou St. John  

Posted on: Monday, June 09, 2003 at 12:22:33 AM  

Comments: If "the cops on patrol did not actually go on the compound" how on earth do they know whether there are problems there or not. Maybe Jamaicans for Justice should drop in unexpectedly, or Amnesty International.

Interestingly, I read this article directly from the Jamaican Observer and sent the following Letter to the Editor the next day.  It appears not to have been published.

Gentlemen:

Costa Rica has shown the world a fine example of how compassion can work
within the law, written and moral, to close down a school such as Dundee
Ranch Academy.  The degrading, psychologically damaging, and downright cruel
methods of this behavior modification facility are an insult to all
civilized societies who care for their children.  But where were the few
teens sent who could not escape?  Tranquility Bay, Jamaica...a notoriously
brutal "school" whose modalities are well-documented, but which continues to
thrive within the Jamaican nation.  If this is the tenor of Jamaican justice
(look the other way, but take the money), perhaps I should re-think any
vacation plans I may have had to this idyllic island paradise.

Sue Kolbo
Rivergait Ranch
Red Bluff

Since a large economic factor for Jamaica is their tourism, a "boycott" would seem to have some power.  Can anyone come up with suggestions on how to "hit 'em where it hurts"?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2003, 04:04:00 AM »
The last resort

When you have a teenager on the rampage, who are you going to turn to? In America, parents send their troubled offspring to Jamaica's Tranquility Bay - a 'behaviour-modification centre' which charges $40,000 a year to 'cure' them. Decca Aitkenhead, the first journalist to gain access to the centre in five years, wonders if there isn't too high a price to pay

Sunday June 29, 2003
The Observer

Were you to glance up from the deserted beach below, you might mistake Tranquility Bay for a rather exclusive hotel. The statuesque white property stands all alone on a sandy curve of southern Jamaica, feathered by palm trees, gazing out across the Caribbean Sea. You would have to look closer to see the guards at the wall. Inside, 250 foreign children are locked up. Almost all are American, but though kept prisoner, they were not sent here by a court of law. Their parents paid to have them kidnapped and flown here against their will, to be incarcerated for up to three years, sometimes even longer. They will not be released until they are judged to be respectful, polite and obedient enough to rejoin their families.

Part One:
http://snurl.com/1oo9

Part Two:
http://snurl.com/1ooa

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2003, 05:05:00 AM »
Wow The Observer quotes Kay the whole time, i wonder what kay has to say. Kay probably just signed an advertising contract with The Observer.

If this isn't child abuse i dont know what is:

"One boy told me he'd spent six months in OP.

I didn't think this could be true, but it transpired this was not even exceptional. 'Oh no,' says Kay. 'The record is actually held by a female.' On and off, she spent 18 months lying on her face."

No that girls not going to have mental issues when she gets older...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2003, 11:36:00 AM »
18 months = 540 days

540 days x $@$70.00 per day = $37,800.00

What kind of parent would spend nearly $40,000 to keep their daughter in a program where lying on her face all day is considered a "consequence" instead of what it really is -- cruel and unusual punishment?

Offline Janet

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2003, 07:14:00 PM »
The article ends with a quote from Kay, "I say to the parents the bottom line is, what's the end result you want?  Getting there may be ugly, but at least with us you're going to get there."  Sounds to me like the Communist statement, "The end justifies the means."  I thought they were Republicans and it turns out that they are so far to the right they are a tiny bit left of Lenin and Stalin!

Apparently Kay also intimated that if the Observer article was not complimentary hell would freeze over before another journalist would get inside Tranquility's walls.  Then he should be made to wear the "I'm with stupid" sign (with the arrow pointing up) around his neck.  How stupid could you be to claim proudly that some poor girl spent 18 months in OP.  

If the article is uncomplimentary, maybe he needs to spend some time reflecting on his choices.  The statements of the two preceeding paragraphs are examples of very poor choices for advertising your program.  Maye he needs to spend some time on his face and while he is at it, he should try to beat the record without have any incriminating tissues on him!
oriahkitty

Offline Carey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2003, 08:15:00 PM »
I can not believe what I just read.  The more I learn about this sick group of people the angrier I get.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2003, 10:18:00 PM »
I don't know which is worse - the parents who ship their kids off to these programs or the people who profit from impounding their children in them.  Either way, it looks like the media is shining a spotlight on both entities which is definitly good news for the children who surely have no voice of their own to call attention to their plight.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2004, 10:56:00 PM »
::smokingun::

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2004, 03:19:00 PM »
OOOoooh, this looks like a good one!