Author Topic: Catherine Freer Spins a Defense  (Read 10609 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Catherine Freer Spins a Defense
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2007, 02:07:48 PM »
Is this CORE BB used by former WWASPS parents?  Do they have any ties to CAICA or PURE?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2007, 02:10:15 PM »
Like any other BBS, "his" BBS (I'm curious what open-source project he ripped off to start making it) is vulnerable to social engineering and piss-poor password choice.

Attention parents leaving WWASPS programs: Right before you pull your kid, copypaste everything you can find on the BBS to Fornits. We appreciate it.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2007, 08:49:59 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Is this CORE BB used by former WWASPS parents?  Do they have any ties to CAICA or PURE?
He mentioned he knew Sue Scheff, yes.  What else he knew about her is anybody's guess.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2007, 08:51:56 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Like any other BBS, "his" BBS (I'm curious what open-source project he ripped off to start making it) is vulnerable to social engineering and piss-poor password choice.
See my long post on the matter.  A PhpBB developer helped him build it.
Attention parents leaving WWASPS programs: Right before you pull your kid, copypaste everything you can find on the BBS to Fornits. We appreciate it.

Redact names, of course, but keep originals.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2007, 08:56:10 AM »
Now Aspiro........They're all using the same template.

Aspiro Letter To Parents
Randy Oakley
801 859 2066
[email protected]
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2007, 10:35:11 AM »
In some ways this is encouraging. Obviously they saw the dressing down NATSAP got and are shitscared. Surely if anyone who has at any point been associated with the Mac Daddy of abusive programs that is Paradise Cove tries to present themsleves at one of these hearing as one of the "safe options" they will be hauled over the coals in the same way that NATSAP was.
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline AuntieEm

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2007, 11:16:52 AM »
There are several things about the hearings and the school replies, like Oakley's for Aspiro, that are alarming.

* The reassuring letter to parents from Oakley/Aspiro is pretty effective. How would any parent know that these are hollow promises? With such a closed and isolated system, who could prove them wrong?

* The emphasis on accreditation and licensing gives false reassurance  to parents. In another recent post on fornits, "a parent" asks about enrolling her son in VisionQuest, and says,

According to what I've read VisionQuest is JACHO approved, and has been studied by the Rand Corp and University of PA and found effective.

"JCAHO approved"--that is her genuine perception. She is unaware that JCAHO "accreditation" (not "approval") means things like the staff checks 2 IDs before administering meds, that the staff agrees on acronyms and abbreviations in written records, and that they wash their hands.        

Have a look. Here are the "Safety Goals" that JCAHO accredits for VisionQuest:
http://http://www.qualitycheck.org/QualityReport.aspx?hcoid=418103&x=npsg&program=Behavioral%20Health%20Care

I'll all in favor of handwashing, but fawgawdssake, JCAHO accreditation tells you nothing about the facility's ability to handle a teen with a traumatic and violent past. Yet it is heavily implied.

Remedies under the law (such as are being considered by the House Commmittee on Education and Labor) could help if they were to pry open these facilities to the light of day--open records (student confidentiality preserved), open visitation policies, open communication between students and families, facilities required to report incidents of abuse/restraint/violence/accidents, and the like.

I support the calls on fornits for a cultural sea change to end "zero tolerance" and seeking Quick Fix Happy Meals for parents with troubled teens, but I must be too old and jaded. I'll take laws with teeth in them while we work concurrently on shifting the cultural norms.

AuntieEm

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
    • http://www.freepowerboards.com/strugglingppl/index.php
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2007, 11:28:13 AM »
Say, Auntie Em - you aren't the same person who was posting on CAFETY as Aunt Bea, are you?  That was some savage bad craziness and heated debate.  Glad I wasn't involved in that bin'ness.
\"Allah does not love the public utterance of hurtful speech, unless it be by one to whom injustice has been done; and Allah is Hearing, Knowing\" - The Qur\'an

\"I\'m there to handle kids that are psychotic, suicidal, homicidal, or have commited felonies. Oh yeah, I am also there to take them down when they are rowdy so the nurse can give them the booty juice.\"

Offline AuntieEm

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2007, 01:06:40 PM »
No, completely different Auntie. No relationship at all to "Aunt Bea."

I'm here in "Kansas" just waiting for my niece to return.

AuntieEm

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2007, 10:17:25 PM »
CFW continues to defend.... splitting hairs with the GAO investigator.....

October 19, 2007
Gregory D. Kutz, Managing Director
Forensic Audits and Special Investigations
U. S. Government Accountability Office
441 G Street, N.W. Washington, D.C. 20548

Dear Mr. Kutz:

I am writing to you to express serious concerns regarding the inaccuracies and misrepresentation of facts as noted in your testimony GAO-08-146T – “Residential Treatment Programs: Concerns Regarding Abuse and Death in Certain Programs for Troubled Youthâ€
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 10:12:05 AM by Guest »
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2007, 12:02:05 AM »
From Aug 1991. This should shed some light.........

Catherine Freer Wilderness Survival School
Albany, Oregon
(503) 967-8722
Director: Robert Cooley, Ph.D

This short-term, wilderness based school has been running for three years, owned by Oregon River Expeditions, Inc. It is a 21 day, outward Bound based approach, and its $3,420 tuition makes it one of the least expensive programs of its type. Director and Founder Rob Cooley, a clinical psychologist, tells me it is licensed as a residential Alcohol and Drug Treatment program which helps a high percentage of clients collect insurance for the tuition, especially Oregon residents.

The following is taken from their literature, "Helping Adolescents Achieve their Potential."

"Our modern society is so complex that our children often are truly unaware that society is based on a underlying fabric of honesty, responsibility, reliability, hard work and mutual cooperation. They see people who fail to adhere to these virtues doing very well for themselves; they have experienced that their own failure to follow these principles may result in short-term gains and that nothing collapses. Society goes on, and the students are not expelled from school (or they are, but fail to see the long-term consequences of that), they do not go hungry or suffer from exposure, they usually do not have to deal with the anger of close comrades who depend on their performance. A not unreasonable conclusion is that one's behavior is unimportant to the larger community, and even has little effect on the course of one's own life.

Living in a small group under natural primitive conditions soon brings a change in perception: if I don't cook I don't eat; if we don't all hike well, we don't get to the next food drop on schedule and go on short rations for a day or two; if we don't attend carefully to demonstrations on edible plants, a constant diet of lentils and rice gets pretty dull; if we don't help each other with camping and setting up shelters, a wet, cold night shivering by the fire may result. And in the outdoors, these consequences are meted out not by some authority figure of questionable motives and fairness, defending an abstract, and to an adolescent, often rather senseless set of social 'rules;' but rather by Nature herself, in her simple, direct, impersonal, unarguable way: pay attention, take care, work hard, cooperate, or suffer cold, heat exhaustion, hunger, a sleepless night.

Uh.... does "Nature" place the food drops?

We believe that extended periods of wilderness living in small groups can be a treatment-enhancing addition for most adolescent programs and will become standard within a few years. Wilderness living provides a naturally healing environment, the physical activity and health that are especially important to adolescents, the best available means to promote self-exploration and self-esteem, and a setting where the meaning of daily work, play and relationships, as well as life's larger spiritual issues, are naturally occurring issues."

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2007, 12:25:20 AM »
Remember what I said earlier about the temperature, water consumption, and altitude changing with each interview or press release?

Here's one from 2002 re: Erica's death. Note that Smith told the GAO that the group had only hiked 2 miles and she had drank 1.5 liters of water (6 cups).

Press Release
Catherine Freer Wilderness Expeditions
June 21, 2002

A fifteen year old girl participating in the Catherine Freer of Nevada program collapsed suddenly in the late afternoon of May 27th and was evacuated by helicopter to the hospital in Fallon. The girl, along with a group of other teenagers and 3 program staff had just begun the backpacking portion of their program that morning. After hiking approximately 3 miles they arrived at their campsite. The group set up camp and they were in the process of returning to the campsite, after filling up water containers, when the young woman collapsed. Program staff called in, on satellite phone with global positioning system coordinates, for evacuation assistance. The program staff performed cardiopulmonary resuscitation until the arrival of the search and rescue ground crew and helicopter. The girl was pronounced dead by medical personnel upon arrival at the hospital. The incident occurred near the Arc Dome Wilderness area. A definitive reason for the collapse is not known at this time. The initial coroner’s statement is that there is no observable cause of death. The inquiry will be pending until results of the toxicology and pathology reports are complete. The participant had a physical examination prior to starting in the program and had been cleared for participation in the trip. The Catherine Freer program extends it deepest sympathy to the girl’s family.
~~~

So.... given Nevada regs (24 cups).... she was give 6 cups of water, but should've had continuous access to 14-15 cups.

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2007, 07:20:06 PM »
Bump
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2007, 08:51:43 PM »
http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=3711160

I don't know how to insert the video for direct play here.

This report talks about Catherine Freer.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2007, 01:54:26 AM »
And Second Nature spins their defense, from Earthtime.org

DUCHESNE, Utah, Oct. 23  /PRNewswire/ -- When it comes to an at-risk adolescent treatment facility and therapeutic wilderness program, one specific quality is key, an exceptional safety record.  Not only does Second Nature Wilderness Program have an outstanding safety record, but also it is one of the first wilderness programs in the nation to stand with the Government Accountability Office (GAO) in support of increasing government regulation to ensure the safe and effective treatment of at-risk adolescents in therapeutic wilderness programs. :rofl:

"Wilderness therapy is a treatment modality, utilizing proven clinical practices in the backdrop of primitive-living metaphors.  Recent and tragic stories have highlighted the need for strong oversight and support for safety, which must be at the foundation of any treatment," said Brad Reedy, Ph.D., Second Nature Wilderness Program clinical director.  "Family involvement and collaboration with The Department of Professional Licensing for Outdoor Programs are critical components of Second Nature's heritage."

Huh?? Anyone ever heard of the DPLOP? I can't find a thing on google. Is this one they just made up? Sounds impressive, doesn't it?

Second Nature Wilderness Program has been in operation for over nine years and treats more than 1,000 at-risk students and families each year.  All Second Nature programs are licensed by state governmental agencies that perform on-site inspections, which include client interviews through both announced and unannounced inspections.  

50 some kids have died in Outdoor Therapy. Many were licensed and "inspected" annually. Parents should request inspection reports for any program they are considering.

According to Reedy, every Second Nature Wilderness Program group has at least one staff trained as a Wilderness First Responder (WFR), and multiple forms of communication are maintained so groups can contact an administrative or medical staff member 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

"Alumnus and families attribute Second Nature with saving lives, reuniting families, rescuing children and their parents from deadly addiction and crippling mental illness.  All of this is done with respect, love, connection and safety," said Cheryl Kehl, LCSW, Second Nature Wilderness executive director.

Crippling mental illness. Give me a f'in break.

Founded in Utah, Second Nature Wilderness Program is one of the many clinically driven outdoor therapy programs that support a movement towards government oversight of safe policy in adolescent out-of-home treatment.  To learn more about the history or licensing requirements of a Second Nature Wilderness Program or other treatment program, contact the state licensing office and ask for a full disclosure of the program's history.

FUEL Marketing
            [email protected]