Author Topic: Real work can be a solution.  (Read 1581 times)

Offline Covergaard

• View Profile
    • http://www.carstenovergaard.dk
Real work can be a solution.
« on: October 14, 2007, 05:33:31 AM »
Right now we in Denmark are busy in the entire society. All hands are needed and some firms are even sponsoring binge drinking parties at schools if the students are willing to spend a hour or two hearing about the company.

But then there all those persons, who have been in prison, juvenile detention or just leaving recovery from drug-treatment. A number of firms have targeted this group of people and have made a nation-wide network offering real jobs to former convicts, which is called High Five.

The persons who entering this system have to meet these demands:

They are willing to work.
They either do not use drug or are on out-patient treatment.
They don't do crimes anymore
They have an address.

The system works with the authories, so they can prove a roof if that it is needed, but basicly it is up to the person, if he want to succed.

When entering the system, the person is interviewed so they can find a firm, which match the needs of the persons. Most jobs are in industry or in a shop and if the person have assulted people and not stolen anything, they can easily be entrusted with the cash register. When the person is entering the firm, a mentor is deligated to this person. It is often a senior worker. To this day it is a succes for 76 percent of the people entering this system.

Maybe there is a truth to the old Danish saying: "Idleness is the root to all evil."
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 05:36:36 AM »
actually some common sense to the notion.

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 06:18:11 AM »
...except for the no drug use part.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 06:22:54 AM »
I'm guessing the no dope rule is in place for a reason. If it helped me avoid prison and landed me a decent job to boot I'd be ok with it.

But then I rarely smoke dope anyway so what do I care?

Surprised it doesn't list alcohol as a banned item. More people miss work due to being hung over than from smoking weed.

Offline Covergaard

• View Profile
Why not alcohol
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 06:48:02 AM »
Alcohol is not a part of it due to our culture. Alcohol is a very important part of our workspace used as a team building tool.

If you take a minute to read this stastitic about Danish youth aged 13 to 15, you will notice that 82 percent have been drunk during the last 12 months.

In fact our laws only talks about alcohol purchase and the limit is 16 years. It is done so because we want the youth to know that alcohol is to be taken serious BEFORE they can drive a car. A drunken driver behind the wheels is lethal. Our strategy do work. See this statistic about deaths caused in DUI related accidents. (Red=dead, black=injured).

I happen to see a TV-program about the HighFive network today. If the youth mess up a little it is not goodbye to work. It depends on the co-workers. If they feel that the youth are a hard worker, they give the youth a second chance. A young man interviewed in the program got involved in a fight a week after he started and the co-workers felt sorry for him, so they convinced the judge that if he promised to stay in his job, he could get probation instead.

The same goes for drugs. The reason for not demanding that the youth should not use drugs is that they use dangerous machines and tools in the workspace. Alcohol comes with a label, where you can read how strong it is. Most people know how much they can drink and still be able to go to work the next day. Drugs do not come with such label and there are no qualitycontrol regarding drugs. So how should a person ensure that he is fully in control to drive a truck and not hurt his co-workers, if this person does not know how strong the drugs are?

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 06:50:40 AM »
Dude... I have to disagree completely. Booze causes more workplace related accidents than smoking weed ever has or will. I say this and I rarely ever smoke the crap.

Seriously.. pry the Jack Daniels bottles out of your kids hands long enough for your country to sober up a bit and catch onto reality.

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 06:52:01 AM »
If they implimented the same program here and banned booze nobody would be employed.
But this looks really good covergaard. I know here one really big issue for ppl with crim record's is that more employers are doing police checks. This makes it very difficult for ex prisoners whose judge recorded the conviction to reintegrate.
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007, 06:54:34 AM »
Interesting to see that the same paradox that plagues the US regarding dope is well and alive in the so called enlightened rest of the world.

Offline Covergaard

• View Profile
What is not banned can easily be detected.
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2007, 08:07:10 AM »
I don't know why our numbers of drugs-, booze-, DUI- related deaths and even teenage pregnacies are so low, but I think that it has something to do with that it is very difficult to live a secret life in Denmark.

Every child is watched by the authorities from day one. Because more than 90 percent of the children have attended either nusery of kindergarten and home schooling is very rare, so you can say that we in fact parent each other.

If I spot a drunken co-worker on his way to his car, his carkeys will be missing in a instant and I could be to blame. I would properly even drive him down to the bus- or train-station, because I know that all the works done in my firm is important for me. With no salespersons or people in the accounting there is no work for me.

If a person in my department do have a problem with drugs or alcohol, I will put my foot in and ask them to take care of their problem, if they want to continue to work in my department. My bosses will do the same with me. When we had a serious illness in my household, they asked me to go home and sleep when I looked too tired. They know that I am a workaholic and that I would not change it, so they live with it and steps in from time to time, so I stay alive.

And it is easy to get help. In my country every person can go down to the city hall and get help. But they have ask. None will use good taxpayers money to help a person, who doesn't want help.

The same goes for our teenagers. They are educated to solve conflicts from day one. A kind of rap-groups are conducted in public schools. One hour every week is called "the hour of the class". During this hour they speak about issues that could prevent the class to function in the best possible way as a team. If there are conflict we use a Norwegian system to descale conflicts. It is called Step-by-step where every student from grade 0 are taught how to make the conflict step up and step down from the degree of violence.

This work started 10 years ago where we had our sofar only shooting at a school by a student shut out from the common community. There are no a single public school, which have anti-bullying programs. There are not a single class, which have not rules about respecting each other and our differences.

Alcohol consumption also has it unwritten rules. Once they are 16 they can buy alcohol on their own. Until then we have made rules among the parents. No parties with alcohol unless all the parents agree and then all are informed where and when they take place, so they can drop in and educate their children in the use of alcohol. It is our culture. It is not just emptying a bottle of whiskey. Certain food goes with certain alcohol and it can be quite a quantity people can consume during a evening, but it is done over a lot of hours.

We want to be a part of our childrens lives and if it means to get to a party zone all night without drinking alcohol because we are in duty as a Night Owl or just commonly concerned about our off-spring, that is what we have to do.

It is somehow a matter about what you will pay taxes to: If I want to I can ask for a Supernanny to coach me in parenting. If you feel that I can not connect to my child, I can ask for an educated senior citizen to become mentor for my child. All that I get acces to because I pay my taxes (40 percent of my income).

As a part of my job I met with such a mentor last week. She was happy about one of her clients quitting her smoking habbits, but she hoped that she also could achieve that her client also would quit the use of pot one day. There is no force involved, only talk and listening. As the bold guy said: "You can only change, what you acknowledge as a problem".

I hope that explains a little more about our in some way odd country.