Author Topic: Holding parents accountable  (Read 15427 times)

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Holding parents accountable
« on: October 08, 2007, 11:48:44 PM »
I'm finding it all very difficult to believe that all these parents are "brain-washed". Some of the discussions going on in the over the gw thread remind me of a story my grandfather told me about Germany after WW2. It goes like this:

Gramps: Pass me anothe beer.

Me: Ok but tell me more about the war.

Gramps: Wasn't any Nazis left in the whole damn country after we kicked their asses.

Me: Why did the Allies kill them all?

Gramps: Hell no.. they were all either "tricked" by Adolph and his gang or just pretending to be a Nazi to get by.

Me: Why did they fool Hitler to begin with?

Gramps: Sons a bitches didn't have a lick of sense in them and wanted a bully boy to give them a tune to dance to.

Moral of the story here, illustrated by my crotchety gramps, is parents on this forum are making some very quick claims to being brain-washed. I think we are slinging this word around like candy and in the process letting some of these people off the hook. It is for this reason I've devised the "Shithead Parent Manifesto".

SHITHEAD Parent Manifesto:

Parents I will only be nice to you to help win your child free of whatever program you incarcerated them in.

Parents I will only continue to be nice if you refrain from sending your child to a second programme and apologize to your child for his or her wrongful incarceration.

Parents I will only be nice if you take it upon yourself to address your total lack of parenting skills which more than likely resulted in your child's struggles in the first place.

Parents I will no longer fall for this flimsy excuse of you claiming brain-washing. Brain-washing is an unwilling process that involves a great deal more than just a few phone calls and seminars. In all reality what you experienced is your own sadism, gullibility, or ignorance.

Some of you parents have taken it upon yourselves to break your kids free of the programmes in a very short span of time and have admitted your mistakes. My hat goes off to you and you will retain my good will.

The rest of you parent let it be known that from this day forward I now fully support any legislation that calls for the charging of parents for child abuse for sending your child to an abusive programme.

In conclusion:

I no longer support the notion that brain-washing occurs so freely.

More often than not the kids affected by these programs are due to the result of sadism, on the parts of their parents, and or ignorance. I've seen to many cases where parents actively wanted their children to be punished. I remember to many occasions where it seemed like the parents enjoyed hearing about their kid's punishments.

Yes these programmes prey on ignorance, but it is every single parent's responsibility to protect their children. Failure to properly investigate these placements are the sole responsibility of the parent. Blame can never be placed on a unscruplious ed con when it is the parent's sole responsibility for their children. Many parents have acknowledged this fact and my hat goes off to them for their honesty.

Others have not..

They suck.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 12:50:26 AM »
Fine, lets not call it brain-washing. Call it being a sucker, an easy mark for a slick sales pitch. It's still wrong, and this industry is still all about the money and all about tricking parents into thinking their kids are getting help in the program.

Programs wouldn't survive on the small percentage -- like the ones you mentioned -- who genuinely wanted their kids to be punished. Even the most disturbed sick fuck of a parent isn't likely to spend this kind of huge money just to see their kid get abused.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 12:54:55 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Fine, lets not call it brain-washing. Call it being a sucker, an easy mark for a slick sales pitch. It's still wrong, and this industry is still all about the money and all about tricking parents into thinking their kids are getting help in the program.

Programs wouldn't survive on the small percentage -- like the ones you mentioned -- who genuinely wanted their kids to be punished. Even the most disturbed sick fuck of a parent isn't likely to spend this kind of huge money just to see their kid get abused.

I saw the sadism in these parents far to frequently for my own comfort. Sure they put on a slick role of the victim, but I suggest you not let yourself get fooled by them. They after all are covering for their crimes against their own children.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 02:10:53 AM »
My name is Niles, and I support this message.
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 05:48:49 AM »
focusing too much on whether those who send kids to programs are good or bad people is like arguing over a length of string. Obviously a variety of people send kids for a variety or reasons. Some are assholes, some are naive, some are scared for their kid's future. Just as some kids go for very small petty reasons, others have real problems that are being tragically exacerbated by these dreadful places. I would rather look at the social wider factors both positive and negative, how to overcome them and what alternatives there are.
What I would look at is the way to get a cultural shift away from zero tolerance, excessive drug laws and the idea that your adolescent errors will fuck up the rest of your life irretrievably. This supports the industry immeasurably. I would debate whether a change of laws can help and how. i would look at getting the US and the wider wstern world to see just how OK their kids are really likely to be and lobby federal and local govt for better local mental health services. making value judgements about the parents whether true or not sometimes misses the point.
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 07:51:11 AM »
This above post has absolutely nothing to do with holding parents accountable for being sadistic swine. No more will I accept the worn excuse of brainwashing.

A good half of em get off on their kid's suffering.

the other 50 percent, give or take 10 percent, are gullible ignorant bible beating rednecks or delusional nutjobs who by into program thinking due to their own lack of mental fitness.

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 08:11:50 AM »
Why bother? What does it really do to help any kid? It is not "holding someone accountable" stops them from placing their kids in one of these places
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007, 08:16:23 AM »
that same approach can be said for charging someone with murder. maybe we should do away with those laws also?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2007, 10:23:04 AM »
Quote from: ""Oz girl""
focusing too much on whether those who send kids to programs are good or bad people is like arguing over a length of string. Obviously a variety of people send kids for a variety or reasons. Some are assholes, some are naive, some are scared for their kid's future. Just as some kids go for very small petty reasons, others have real problems that are being tragically exacerbated by these dreadful places. I would rather look at the social wider factors both positive and negative, how to overcome them and what alternatives there are.
What I would look at is the way to get a cultural shift away from zero tolerance, excessive drug laws and the idea that your adolescent errors will fuck up the rest of your life irretrievably. This supports the industry immeasurably. I would debate whether a change of laws can help and how. i would look at getting the US and the wider wstern world to see just how OK their kids are really likely to be and lobby federal and local govt for better local mental health services. making value judgements about the parents whether true or not sometimes misses the point.

Nobody could've said it better. You're awesome Oz Girl!

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2007, 10:40:17 AM »
Quote from: ""Oz girl""

:tup: :tup:

That's really the only way any true or valuable changes will happen.  Society has gotten waayyy off track and been bamboozled by the puritanical bullshit for far too long.  It really is time for a dose of reality.
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Pitbull Mom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2007, 11:27:14 AM »
When survivors or anyone else insist that parents have all the responsiblity for the state of the teen industry, I hear the excat same type of black and white thinking that is promulgated by the programs.

Survivors who have not yet become parents will never understand the complexities of parenting until they have their own kids. It doesn't come with a manual. I am an involved mom with active kids. I have NEVER met a parent yet who "gets off on their kid's suffering". I have never met a parent who just decides to send their kid to a hellhole. Wouldn't even occur to 99% of parents. A parent would have to be on the emotional level of Jeffery Dahmer to even entertain such thoughts.
Pitbull Mom

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2007, 11:45:55 AM »
Quote from: ""Pitbull Mom""
When survivors or anyone else insist that parents have all the responsiblity for the state of the teen industry, I hear the excat same type of black and white thinking that is promulgated by the programs.

The teen industry is funded by the parent's dollar or their willingness to use their insurance/state/school district dollars. So yes the teen industry is a direct result of the parent's stupidty, sadism, and gullibility.

Survivors who have not yet become parents will never understand the complexities of parenting until they have their own kids.

I bet most anti-program survivors on this forum wouldn't dump their kid in a program.

It doesn't come with a manual.

Common sense is the only manual you need.

I am an involved mom with active kids. I have NEVER met a parent yet who "gets off on their kid's suffering".

I'm a veteran member of this industry and I've meet numerous parents who enjoyed their chidren's suffering.

I have never met a parent who just decides to send their kid to a hellhole.

Obviously you haven't done much research. Most of Spring Creek Lodge and other wwasp programmes are filled with kids dumped their by their parents till they are 18 to avoid having to pay high boarding school tutions or they can use their insurance benifits.

Wouldn't even occur to 99% of parents. A parent would have to be on the emotional level of Jeffery Dahmer to even entertain such thoughts.

This at best is a poorly stated fallacy. However, I will coopt it for my own use by now painting most of the programme parents as Jeff Dahmer wannabes.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2007, 12:13:26 PM »

Survivors who have not yet become parents will never understand the complexities of parenting until they have their own kids. It doesn't come with a manual. I am an involved mom with active kids. I have NEVER met a parent yet who "gets off on their kid's suffering". I have never met a parent who just decides to send their kid to a hellhole. Wouldn't even occur to 99% of parents. A parent would have to be on the emotional level of Jeffery Dahmer to even entertain such thoughts.

Hello Pitbull mom, I see you have been reading here.  This is one thing I have struggled with since I started visiting this site.  I hear the perception of programs parents and stories of how parents get a kick out of sending their kids away and go off to Hawaii after dropping their kids off at a TBS for a big celebration etc..  I have spoken to hundreds of parents and not one has fallen into this category.
In my opinion it makes it very difficult for readers to take all the stories of abuse or mistreatment at face value when knowing their stories of program parents are not true or at best embellished.
When the survivors grow up and have families of their own (as you pointed out) they will see that there is no enjoyment in seeing your child suffering or needing help outside the home.

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2007, 12:32:25 PM »
Obviously you haven't done much research. Most of Spring Creek Lodge and other wwasp programmes are filled with kids dumped their by their parents till they are 18 to avoid having to pay high boarding school tutions or they can use their insurance benifits.

Well Wookie - this is about the biggest crock of shit you've ever dumped out. The programs are all Way more costly than private school tuition. And I have yet to hear of an insurance company paying for any of these shit hole programs! Hells Bells - its dam near impossible to get an Insurance company to pay for legitimate and appropriate treatment, once you are dealing with substance abuse; learning disorders, or mental health issues.

Funny this turn you've taken. You used to be a voice of moderation with regard to the Parent situation. You often said it was important to reach out to the parents and that attacking them unreasonably was counter productive. Its one of the few things you and I agreed on.

OZ Girl is the voice of reason on this issue - and I hope her POV will be given serious consideration by anyone reading these threads.

As you know - I feel strongly brain washing is a very real factor. I feel it is important to understand this. It is what it is. Its not why parents turn to these programs, as Oz Girl explains so well. But it is why they find themselves more devoted to the program than their own children and families, once they begin attending the seminars and or parent group meetings.

I "saw" the change occur, over and over, in the months I was on the BBS.  Perfectly average moms and dads, who had real concern for their kids, and not a few questions about the apparent problems in the program ( educational and crowding and diet - no one knew anything at all about OP or what restraint actually was) turn into mindless parrots as they attended the seminars; with an increasing callousness toward their child, and an increasing willingness to cut off and shun anyone who didn't support the program.

They are *changed*. They feel this change is a great thing. It matters not if in reality their lives fall apart. They abandon life long ideas about ethics and morality and faith, and accept ideas and values totally forgine to their own - and they don't even realize it.

That is a result of cultic indoctrination: Brain Washing.  

It is so powerful and effective that they are not able to realize the program could in any way be a failure. When their children do come home - and they are much worse than before; or they cut them out of their lives as hated enemies never to be trusted or even spoken to - they will still insist the program was a success.

When their child takes that exit plan, and they then shun them - and the son or daughter goes on to meet many accomplishments any parent would find joy and satisfaction in - they will still insist they return to the fukken program and graduate!

I mean, it is nuts. And yet, for these seminar junkie parents, it is normal.

They are brain washed.

Now - I am not saying what they do is "OK" - that this is an excuse. I am saying it is the reason they are so strange and irrational with regard to their children and the program.

I would hope that pointing this out to them might help them begin the process of "waking up". Hopefully, before to much damage is done.

I would also hope it might help some of the kids realize why their parents have become cold, callous bitches and bastards. It might help them heal, if they understand their parents were deceived, and literally fukked in the head.

About the Zero tolerance factor - the more I think about it, the more I feel this is worth focusing on. We really should formulate a reasonable substance abuse policy and promote it with every elected official we possibly can.

Shall we talk about what might be reasonable?

Offline Pitbull Mom

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2007, 12:43:05 PM »
Quote from: ""Wandering Waygookin""

The teen industry is funded by the parent's dollar or their willingness to use their insurance/state/school district dollars. So yes the teen industry is a direct result of the parent's stupidty, sadism, and gullibility.

Survivors who have not yet become parents will never understand the complexities of parenting until they have their own kids.

I bet most anti-program survivors on this forum wouldn't dump their kid in a program.

It doesn't come with a manual.

Common sense is the only manual you need.

I am an involved mom with active kids. I have NEVER met a parent yet who "gets off on their kid's suffering".

I'm a veteran member of this industry and I've meet numerous parents who enjoyed their chidren's suffering.

I have never met a parent who just decides to send their kid to a hellhole.

Wouldn't even occur to 99% of parents. A parent would have to be on the emotional level of Jeffery Dahmer to even entertain such thoughts.

This at best is a poorly stated fallacy. However, I will coopt it for my own use by now painting most of the programme parents as Jeff Dahmer wannabes.

These are the kinds of statements that make parents, media folks, and legislators not take survivors stories' or their opinions seriously and scares them off from further reading on fornits.

What is really needed is better community mental health resources. They don't exist or are inaccessible to middle class America. That is where I will focus my anger and my need for justice.
Pitbull Mom