Author Topic: Pete Townshend  (Read 1546 times)

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
    • http://www.freepowerboards.com/strugglingppl/index.php
Pete Townshend
« on: October 03, 2007, 11:39:18 AM »
Pete from the REAL Who has some words of wisdom.  It seems like he would strongly disagree with the Whocifer of Fornits.

"A song like "I'm One" from "Quadrophenia" is a song we can all identify with -- that proud, but slightly futile idea that each of us is special enough to mean something, just as we stand. In fact, we know that is not enough -- each of us must fight for recognition, we must submit to (an)other's power, we must sensibly fear our enemies, we must be prepared to battle for our children's safety, etc. The song, though, hangs on to an idea that just being "one" -- being unique -- is enough. That is not what I believe. And yet the song is universal."
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
\"Allah does not love the public utterance of hurtful speech, unless it be by one to whom injustice has been done; and Allah is Hearing, Knowing\" - The Qur\'an

\"I\'m there to handle kids that are psychotic, suicidal, homicidal, or have commited felonies. Oh yeah, I am also there to take them down when they are rowdy so the nurse can give them the booty juice.\"

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
Pete Townshend
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 02:00:51 PM »
Quadrophenia was by far the best work they produced, in my opinion.  I read peters quote on "I'm one", but at the time it was released and we were in highschool we saw it as a boy struggling with his identity and we could all relate to his struggles of trying to please his parents, teachers, peers etc.(all at the same time) and being pulled in 4 different directions and sometimes not knowing who we really are because we had to play "the game" sometimes just to survive the day or to pretend to be someone we are not.

These are difficult times for teenagers because they believe so strongly in the power of (search for)  their own identity and being true to ones own self .  This pretending or conforming to rules or ideals that they donot believe in or belong to their parents (i.e. riding in their dads sedan, sitting in a specified desk at school, repeating only the answers that were given them etc)  go so much against the grain of being a teenager that there is a need to outwardly show that they dont agree with the life they are leading and do this outwardly by growing their hair, coloring their hair, piercings, clothes etc. to separate them from their parents and from others.  It is a very natural process, but many parents see this as a defect or anomaly and try to fix it, when they should be proud that they are expressing their independence which they have been working towards their entire lives.

When Jimmy says “I’m oneâ€

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Pete Townshend
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 02:23:21 PM »

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
Pete Townshend
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 02:26:02 PM »

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
Pete Townshend
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 02:51:50 PM »
Quote from: "TheWho"
Quadrophenia was by far the best work they produced, in my opinion.  I read peters quote on "I'm one", but at the time it was released and we were in highschool we saw it as a boy struggling with his identity and we could all relate to his struggles of trying to please his parents, teachers, peers etc.(all at the same time) and being pulled in 4 different directions and sometimes not knowing who we really are because we had to play "the game" sometimes just to survive the day or to pretend to be someone we are not.

These are difficult times for teenagers because they believe sostrongly in the power of (search for)  their own identity and being true to ones own self .  This pretending or conforming to rules or ideals that they donot believe in or belong to their parents (i.e. riding in their dads sedan, sitting in a specified desk at school, repeating only the answers that were given them etc)  go so much against the grain of being a teenager that there is a need to outwardly show that they dont agree with the life they are leading and do this outwardly by growing their hair, coloring their hair, piercings, clothes etc. to separate them from their parents and from others.  It is a very natural process, but many parents see this as a defect or anomaly and try to fix it, when they should be proud that they are expressing their independence which they have been working towards their entire lives.

When Jimmy says “I’m oneâ€
\"Allah does not love the public utterance of hurtful speech, unless it be by one to whom injustice has been done; and Allah is Hearing, Knowing\" - The Qur\'an

\"I\'m there to handle kids that are psychotic, suicidal, homicidal, or have commited felonies. Oh yeah, I am also there to take them down when they are rowdy so the nurse can give them the booty juice.\"

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
Pete Townshend
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 03:05:29 PM »
Zen, your name doesnt fit you today...relax!  Put down the copy of the PV parents manual and self help tapes and go out and purchase a copy of Quadrophenia and listen to it...  dont look up quotes of other people who have listened to it...listen to it yourself many times and then give your opinion.  Townsend would not have lasted a day in a program.... he would still have written quadrophenia, that is my point...its what he needed to do, its how he perceived himself and the world around him.

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
Pete Townshend
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 03:54:21 PM »
You are a shill. I know exactly what you are, dude, and your name doesn't suit you.  Ever.  You industry toad.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
Pete Townshend
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 05:42:51 PM »
Zen - You are rude and assuming, you are an embarrassment to the Zen agents and you hide behind your avatar.    Here is a new one for you…….. now off with you, quickly…roll over…….fetch….good boy.

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
Pete Townshend
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 06:31:11 PM »
Uh-huh.

Offline SettleForNothingLess

• View Profile
Pete Townshend
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 06:56:42 PM »
Quote from: ""TheWho""
Zen - You are rude and assuming, you are an embarrassment to the Zen agents and you hide behind your avatar.    Here is a new one for you…….. now off with you, quickly…roll over…….fetch….good boy.

Who, youre an ass. Zen is a good friend of mine, and I have a hell of alot of respect for him. His dedication is more than I can explain.
Yours Truly,
Ms. Vigilante
Im standing on the frontline, there waiting for you PV bitches. Lets rock n roll.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Pete Townshend
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 07:53:17 PM »
.[/color]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Pete Townshend
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 07:55:14 PM »
I think theWho eats his own poo.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
Pete Townshend
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 07:58:16 PM »
Quote from: ""SettleForNothingLess""
Quote from: ""TheWho""

Who, youre an ass. Zen is a good friend of mine, and I have a hell of alot of respect for him. His dedication is more than I can explain.

You should read the OP and the remainder of the thread, its nice defending Zen, I was just responding to his insults.  If this is the type of character you respect then more power to you.