Author Topic: GAO Hearing???  (Read 10591 times)

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
GAO Hearing???
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2007, 12:56:48 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
What?  There's actually something you don't KNOW, Mr. Who?
I'm shocked!

I dont believe Thayer is associated with NATSAP

Ha,Ha,  Thanks for the compliment, but you would be surprised...I struggle so much with trying to resolve problems on my computer, I usually end up having my nephew stop over to clean up my mess and get me going again.  But I am getting better at it.

Anyway, I checked and Thayer is a "Military boot camp" which is not associated with NATSAP.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Mummie

• View Profile
GAO Hearing???
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2007, 04:17:39 PM »
WW

Does G. Miller's page show the hearing date?  Thanks in advance.
quot;You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you.\"  -Eric Hoffer- (1902-83)

Offline Pitbull Mom

• View Profile
GAO HEarings - forum to be heard
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2007, 07:28:31 PM »
I was not asked to testify. So I've been looking for another way to be heard at the hearing about my son's death from medical negligence. I just stumbled on this page where you can share your story and have it made part of the record for the hearing. Apparently NATSAP, according to a fornits post I read, has collected many letters from people supporting their programs. This wiki is a grass roots effort started by someone named Allison Pinto to offset NATSAP'S effort. I'm including some of the Wiki here, check it out and post your story for Congress.

http://http://endinstitutionalabuse.wikispaces.com

This wiki is a virtual grass roots effort to organize and speak out. We've got less than a week...

On October 10, 2007, the Committee on Education and Labor will be holding a hearing in Congress entitled, "Cases of Child Neglect and Abuse at Private Residential Treatment Facilities."

There will be an opportunity for the presentation of written personal accounts and position statements regarding issues of mistreatment, abuse and neglect in private residential programs, to be submitted for the record. If you would like to submit a statement, letter or story to Congress, please click on the "discussion" tab above and post your letter or story.

Please note that this wikispaces site is a public site, so it is visible to anyone and everyone. Be careful to include only that information that you are comfortable sharing in the public domain.

Also, please recognize that wiki technology makes it possible for individuals to respond to one another's contributions. If you choose to respond to someone else's post, please maintain a respectful stance that honors the inherent dignity of that individual.
Pitbull Mom

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
GAO Hearing???
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2007, 08:00:42 PM »
That is Allison Pinto, A START, and Cafety, I think.  Two orgs with dubious agendas, from what I gather.  Don't forget, it's not all about the parents.  They aren't the ones being institutionalized.  They are the ones paying for it.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
GAO Hearing???
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2007, 08:29:28 PM »
You can also send your letters direct to Congressman Miller or the Committee, you DO NOT NEED to go through A START or CAFETY or any third person.  

:roll:

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
GAO Hearing???
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2007, 08:45:03 PM »
That is Allison Pinto, A START, and Cafety, I think.  Two orgs with dubious agendas, from what I gather.  Don't forget, it's not all about the parents.  They aren't the ones being institutionalized.  They are the ones paying for it.

Why is it people are always try to label everyone (i.e. the ones paying for it, the ones going to school).  If a child needs to go to the dentist to get a tooth repaired it is not the parents who are going to be in pain although most parents wish they could trade places.  It is also not the kids who are paying for it, for obvious reasons.  So why is it that it seems to be such a big deal when it comes to therapy?   We always hear comments:  â€œOh, the parents just pay for it while the kid has to go to schoolâ€

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
GAO Hearing???
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2007, 08:54:18 PM »
:puke:

Don't even pretend.

If they wanted to make a best decision for everyone involved they wouldn't be sending their kid off to torture camp (please don't use the word 'school'- that's not what these things are) using their college fund to pay for it, now would they?

Offline Pitbull Mom

• View Profile
GAO Hearing???
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2007, 09:01:43 PM »
You can also send your letters direct to Congressman Miller or the Committee, you DO NOT NEED to go through A START or CAFETY or any third person.  

:roll:

well that's just damned sneaky, and I think I'll contact Ms. Pinto and tell her what I think, if that's true.

Should I assume if I don't recieve an acknowledgment that they have received my letter? I've been emailing George Miller and others on the committe for weeks, and have never even recieved the courtesy of an acknowledgement.  Makes you wonder if they even read their mail. I'm frustrated, just trying to find some way to get heard.
Pitbull Mom

Offline Pitbull Mom

• View Profile
GAO Hearing???
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2007, 09:22:43 PM »

Don't even pretend.

If they wanted to make a best decision for everyone involved they wouldn't be sending their kid off to torture camp (please don't use the word 'school'- that's not what these things are) using their college fund to pay for it, now would they?

Don't get too down on parents. They're not perfect. They get duped. They don't know exactly what they are getting into, even IF they do research. In my case, I had a referral to Youth Care from UCLA's Neuropych Unit, a very well respected pediatric psychiatric facility, in the top 5 in the country.  And Youth Care markets their program not only as a "school", but as a "step down long term residential medically based program suitable for transition from a psych unit" to back home for kids with severe problems. They have JHACO accreditation, same as hospitals, which is supposed to ensure consumers of a standard of care.  My son was dangerous both to himself and others. My other child's life was in danger. So don't talk to me about best decisions. Believe it or not, and I'm not going to argue with you about  it, some parents reallly love their kids, and make the best decision they can with the information they have at the time. If I had known my son's medical needs would be ignored, OF COURSE I would not have sent him there. You can't undermine the efforts of parents if you have not lived in their shoes, and you can't generalize every situation. I agree that some parents shirk their responsiblities, but some actually try to do what's right in a bad situation. I literally had to choose between losing my younger child or keeping my troubled kid at home.  Tough choice. In my case it didn't work out so well. Now I only have 1 kid, it could have happened the other way around, where I lost my other child. In a perfect world, parents would always make perfect choices for their perfect teenagers. Get real.
Pitbull Mom

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
GAO Hearing???
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2007, 09:27:10 PM »
Miller's group probably doesn't want to be bothered so they delegated responsibility to someone else with a vested interest in the issues at hand, is my guess.  This is typically how these hearings work which is why some may choose to send their letters or email direct, by certified mail if need be.

SURE HOPE THERE ARE SURVIVORS PLANNING TO ATTEND, AND/OR PROTEST SINCE THEY ARE NOT BEING REPRESENTED.  THAT'S THE DIRTY LITTLE SECRET. ITS PARENTS.

Offline Pitbull Mom

• View Profile
GAO Hearing???
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2007, 09:31:23 PM »
Miller's group probably doesn't want to be bothered so they delegated responsibility to someone else with a vested interest in the issues at hand, is my guess.  This is typically how these hearings work which is why some may choose to send their letters or email direct, by certified mail if need be.

SURE HOPE THERE ARE SURVIVORS PLANNING TO ATTEND, AND/OR PROTEST SINCE THEY ARE NOT BEING REPRESENTED.  THAT'S THE DIRTY LITTLE SECRET. ITS PARENTS.

screw you. I'm the PARENT of a child who didn't even SURVIVE, and suffered the worst possible abuse - he DIED. so just go fuck yourself saying parents don't care.
Pitbull Mom

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
GAO Hearing???
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2007, 09:51:31 PM »
Pitbull Mom, you need to calm down and look at the big picture.

The industry has been abusing the rights of children for going on 4 decades.  There are survivors of residential treatment abuse whose parents betrayed them when they were teens and to this day, still believe they were justified in committing them into an abusive program under the auspices of therapy or treatment.    Read about Straight.  The Seed.  Kids Helping Kids.  The Cult-Like anti-drug programs produced thousands of now-grown adults with wounded hearts, souls and spirits.  They are some of the most courageous warriors and should be testifying.  Shame on Miller and his group if it turns out these hearings are comprised of parents giving testimony and special interests groups like A Start.

If there are NO SURVIVORS of institutionalized child abuse testifying, that says alot.  My advice is get organized NOW.  Start making signs and planning your speeches.  The media will be out IN FORCE along with industry people.  

NOW IS THE TIME for the advocates and activists to rally the troops and make sure the survivors are represented even if they aren't allowed and/or otherwise "invited" to testify.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
GAO Hearing???
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2007, 10:13:47 PM »

Sadly, That seems to be the case, but don't blame the GAO.  They put their hearts and souls into this investigation.  Sadly, much is out of their hands.  They report to the committee holding the hearing, sponsoring the bill, and ordering (and, hence, controlling) the investigation.  What their motives are is...  Unknown for sure.

I trust the GAO investigator who was assigned to me.  She truly did/does care about this issue... How could anybody not care who has done the research.  Hopefully, there will be a second investigation that is more wide-ranging but that is all hypothetical at this point.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
GAO Hearing???
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2007, 10:17:06 PM »

Don't even pretend.

And if they are not around to attend college?  and whose college fund is it?  Funny how everyone seems to forget who earned the money.

What a puttz.  Sorry you lost your cell phone for a few weeks.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
GAO Hearing???
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2007, 10:18:33 PM »
Don't even pretend.

I share your sentiment. They are BM warehouses that provide schooling only because any program that houses kids 24/7 is required to. "School" is so much softer than Program.

The trolls use of 'school' is actually accurate in many cases. Many are classified as no more than private schools. Here's a partial list of Aspen/ NATSAP programs that are not properly licensed as TBSs, EGBS, RTCs; simply listed with the state as private/boarding schools. The experimental, mind raping 'therapy' kids are enduring is not monitored by any outside agency.

ASPEN
Academy at Swift River
Academy of the Sierras
Bromley Brook School
Excel Academy- I'll have to check into this one. Lone Star Expeditions is licensed in Tx, but Excel isn't. Curious?
New Leaf Academy of NC
Stone Mtn School

NATSAP
Auldern Academy
Benchmark Young Adult School
Betton House (Family Foundation)
Chrysalis
Coral Reef Academy
Elan
Family Foundation School
Granite Hill School
In Balance Ranch Academy
John Dewey Academy
King George School
Mission Mtn School
Montana Academy
Montcalm School for Boys
Pine River Institute
San Cristobal Academy
Shortridge Academy
Star Meadows Academy at Hope Ranch
Summit Preparatory School
The Oliverian School
Turning Winds Academies Institute
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700