Author Topic: DRA and TB in Jamaica Observer  (Read 1592 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
DRA and TB in Jamaica Observer
« on: June 09, 2003, 06:39:00 PM »
An article in Jamaica Observer re: Dundee and Tranquility Bay:
http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/htm ... ty_bay.asp

Paragraph 2 is especially interesting with Mr. Kay's claims that it was never a remote possibility that the deported Jamaicans would be working at TB and that he knows nothing of them. Apparently he has forgotten that they previously worked for him at TB. It seems to be that same short term memory problem that the Casa director  had when High Impact was shut down and he claimed no affiliation with HI even though his family reps had referred many children there.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2003, 06:44:00 PM »
"Tranquility Bay is not abusive and I can supply kids who will say we are not abusive and who were there for two years..." he added.

If he is so confident that TB is not abusive, why did Mr. Kay install cameras in the OP room so he can observe what's happening in there? And why, since the cameras were installed, do staff members take children out of the OP room to restrain them?

Offline FaceKhan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2003, 12:08:00 AM »
Aww I never thought he cared. How nice. I think it far more likely those cameras are used to make sure the inmates spend the whole time in whatever unnatural position they have been ordered into without the need for staff to watch them the whole time.
All of the darkness of the world cannot put out the light of one small candle.\"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2003, 03:33:00 AM »
the cameras are not there for protection, they are there to cut down on staffing costs.

kay is always finding new ways to save money.

Offline FaceKhan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2003, 10:37:00 AM »
Giving some credit to their business sense, the cameras are also probably there to make sure that they can catch any particularly dangerous (to them anways) staff members.

Constant surveilance reinforces the cult phenomenon in these places. In fact it is the basis for how they break people. If you know that anything you do is gonna be reported by your peers hoping to be moved up or rewarded for ratting out other kids. In addition the rules are so many and so insane that you can be punished for no reason at all. It keeps everyone on edge all the time so they break faster.  

I remember the story of a woman in East Germany who was arrested by the secret police several times. She always knew some one was informing on her. It was only after the Berlin Wall fell and the records of the secret police were opened that she discovered that the informant was her husband of nearly 40 years.

There is one slightly positive way of looking at it, at least the cameras will alert them to any particularly abusive staff members which they can fire if only to protect themselves from lawsuits.
All of the darkness of the world cannot put out the light of one small candle.\"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2003, 12:05:00 PM »

There is one slightly positive way of looking at it, at least the cameras will alert them to any particularly abusive staff members which they can fire if only to protect themselves from lawsuits.
"

I think you have hit the nail on the head. Mr. Kay can say there is no abuse because he cameras will show no abuse. He can then just look the other way when staff members take students into the hall where the abuse can and does take place.

As for firing abusive staff members, Mr. Kay in at least one case chose to re-hire an abusive staff member (Mr. Grant) after either firing him or forcing him to resign.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2003, 03:05:00 PM »
I'm just curious as to how the anonymous poster above knows that there were cameras installed in OP, that restraint now takes place off camera, and when the installation of the cameras took place and whether the cameras are still there?  

Any info appreciated... I'm a journalist writing a book on behavior programs for teens-- [email protected] and would love to talk with the person if they have first hand knowledge of the situation.  Anonymity is guaranteed if the person desires it.  Thanks!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2003, 07:04:00 PM »
About the camera's, you overlook another possibility.
Maybe he is a sadist and enjoys watching the infliction of pain. Maybe it pisses him off when they take the kids to the halls. Maybe the staff knows this, but knows he can't say so, and so get their own gollies aggravating him.
I have herd a witness to a beating state, that K.K. took pictures of the kid laying passed out in the floor, as a result of this beating - but as no staff were fired - you have to wonder why he wanted pictures. This was while he was visiting Dundee - and the staff were his Jamaican transplants he claims to have no knowledge of.