Author Topic: idea, inspired by over the gw. the grassroots effort thread.  (Read 18866 times)

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
idea, inspired by over the gw. the grassroots effort thread.
« Reply #165 on: October 06, 2007, 11:42:06 AM »
Quote from: ""Carey""
The brainwashing is the key. If we could get the masses educated with regard to what mind control is - how and why it works - we could stop all these programs dead cold.

The brainwashing is the key - for the kids.  I think that is exactly what some parents and the conservative party is looking for.  They don't think there is anything wrong with brainwashing kids who are on destructive paths.

Psy, you say you support Buzz.  I think Buzz probably really believes she was brainwashed, even though she said she never went to one of the LGAT seminars and, has no first hand knowledge of what goes on in one.   I think Buzz was just easily influenced.  

Can the argument be made that Buzz must have also been brainwashed by Scheff?  Buzz spent many a post trying to prove me wrong about my beliefs about Scheff.  Actually Buzz was Sue's main supporter at the time and she was the main one posting at the time and trying to prove I was wrong about Scheff.  All I was trying to do was to warn parents about Scheff.

If you look back now, you will see that Buzz has deleted all of those posts she wrote in support of Scheff.  Why?  Is she no longer brainwashed?  I guess if you want to say she is no longer under the influence of Scheff, that would be more applicable way of saying it.  But would it be applicable to say she is no longer brainwashed by Scheff?

Was Buzz brainwashed about ALA and Craig Rogers?  She posted in support of him - ALOT.  She even tried to start a forum for him on the ALA website.  She was an outspoken advocate for ALA.  She was promoting ALA.  Why do you view ALA differently than you do other programs?
Good god.. I don't.  Where did you get that Idea.  All I said was that since his belief system already was in line with the program there was no need to coerce to the same degree, if at all (which is not saying it didn't happen, or doesn't happen to others who do not fit that mold).
Is it because Buzz proclaims it to be an ok place.  Is it because her son claims it to be an ok place.  He worked there just like Ashly worked/works at Harbor Oaks.  Buzz's son says ALA is ok and Ashlyn says that Harbor Oaks is ok.
And they both probably believe it to be true...  Whether an outsider would see it that way is another case altogether.
Why would you view ALA any differently than you do Harbor Oaks or Whitmore?  There has been controversy in the past with Craig Rogers.  He has had a program in the past with problems.

Psy, I ask you these questions because I am trying to understand.
Well.  Part of the problem is your first sentence there below.  You believe that brainwashing involves being held against the will.  It doesn't always have to.  All it really requires is a fair amount of stress in a person's life.  Cults don't always keep people against their will, and they do use brainwashing.  Study how Est / Lifespring work to see how.
Also, I believing that brainwashing involves being held against ones will.  I don't think Buzz or any other parent who attends these seminars becomes brainwashed.  They can get up and leave at any time.
Yes, and no.  What are they told before they enter?  That they can leave at any time, but doing so would be letting their kid down, they would not be let back, and they would have to do it over sometime.  Plus, the group pressure to stay helps a lot.  Margaret Singer wrote about how this works.  More or less, the ability to leave anytime makes it more effective, since there is more submission to the group going on there (imo).
I think they are influenced by peer pressure and the need for a perceived outcome that is in line with their way of thinking.
I agree on the peer pressure but disagree that the outcome they are looking for is in line with the parent's existing way of thinking (there would be no point, then).  They encourage you to let go of your pre-existing values, what is right and wrong, etc...
I am sure that this post will piss some people off.  Please know that is not my intention.  Change and accountability go hand in hand.

I also want to make clear the fact that I don't dislike Buzz.  I think she has a good heart and good intentions.  I even think she had good intentions back when she was supporting Sue.   But I do think people who are easily influenced, people like Buzz, are the ones who are in danger of being manipulated by LGAT seminars and "self-proclaimed experts".  I feel for them and I feel for their kids.  But I don't think they are brainwashed.
Margaret Singer also wrote about the "it can't happen to me" phenomenon.  Buzz understands a LOT about LGATs and hence would, in my opinion, stand a better chance of remaining influenced by them (becuase she knows how they work).
Someone who is brainwashed does not have a choice in the matter.  People who are being brainwashed don't have the option of getting up and walking out of the brainwashing seminar.

Maybe we are just splitting hairs here, but I think it is important to make the distinction between what these kids suffer from vs. what the parents suffer from.

Oh.. By far there is a difference, but it would be a big mistake to underestimate the effect the seminars have on so many parents.  Like I said, why do you think WWASP places such a heavy influence on their participation.

In the words of a french brainwashing expert: "[est / Landmark Forum] can do in days what it takes cults years to do".
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 06, 2007, 06:17:35 PM »
If you look back now, you will see that Buzz has deleted all of those posts she wrote in support of Scheff. Why?

BuzzKill has not deleted any post. You can find plenty of BuzzKill post defending Scheff's motivation - prior to March of 2005. They're all still there. I believed she was telling the truth (more or less) until there was proof I was wrong. You'll not find anything written by BuzzKill, in her defense, after that.

I never bring up ALA.  With regard to ALA, I am in a no win situation. When someone else brings it up, and I fail to respond, I am hiding something. If I respond, with what is the truth for our family, I am a brainwashed devotee of the cult of Craig.

There is some truth to the cult like aspect of the Trekkers. I will freely acknowledge this to be so from my own perspective. That group operated much like any other small cult. I sometimes felt many of "us" had exchanged one cult for another. Like with any cult, there was a great reluctance to disagree with leader/guru; or oppose her on anything. If anyone did, they were evicted from the group. Most wanted to remain in the group badly enough to never openly oppose her on anything.

Mostly, I believe, this was motivated by a desire to retain access to information which came through Marie Pert to Sue, to the group; and also, from the sub-rose BBS account one member had; rather than any real devotion to Scheff. But, I did later learn that it was not unusual for *some* of the group members to refer parents to PURE for program placement - thus helping to enrich the guru. So, It was indeed, in some ways, very cult like.

Still, it is terribly unfair to paint them all as somehow sinister and unscrupulous. Most of these people were/are kind hearted and sensitive individuals, who truly sacrificed a great deal of time and resources to help educate other parents about the realities of Program life, and to help the teens who had been victimized by it. And not all were ex-program parents. Some were extended family members, who had fought hard to get their young grand children, nieces or nephews and even neighbors out of the program.

Painting them all with one brush - calling them PUREST or Puppets, Stupid, mindless and wishy washy - and suggesting they all deserve to be litigated into oblivion for their stupidity, is just plan wrong. Attempting to bring about their collective destruction by selling them out to WWASP was vicious, hateful, spiteful, malicious. It devastated the efforts to educate the parents and secure the removal of students.

As a result of the rental by WWASP, of the Bock lap top, there was a real  threat of many being added to the case against PURE.  This haulted or crippled all the grass roots efforts of this group; and caused some to feel they needed to erase much of the work they had done, so it wouldn't be used in court against them or others.

Access to the BBS was also lost as a result of this Bock lap top rental; which made continuing to reach out to the program parents who seemed doubtful, impossible. This very likely caused some teens who would have been pulled early on, to instead live out the full and complete program experience.  WWASP was, I am certain, most grateful.

They were in fact so grateful - so anxious to obtain this lap top - that they paid 12,500 for access to it; and flew one of their lawyers down to Louisiana to pick it up, and take Mz Bock to dinner. So, one can hardly argue anything about this act was intended to help the kids; unless you want to try and argue that the Program is helping kids.  

I think Buzz probably really believes she was brainwashed,

I never said I was brainwashed. I said in fact, I could feel the influence effecting my thoughts and decisions. I believe I was in the early stages - when doubt in ones own convictions is being eroded, prior to implanting the "new" convictions for the benefit of the "cult".  I believe this, because I know how hard it was for me to pull my son, even tho all my common sense was screaming at me to do so. Something made me afraid. I believe that something to have been the beginning stages of the process. I do believe those who attend the seminars, and come out of it changed, and thinking this is great, (even when their families fall apart afterward, because they must shun all non-supporting members) have been brainwashed, and have joined a cult.

I do think this is the key to understanding how these program stay in business despite their horrible reputation and performance. You have the faithful legions to contend with any time the debate goes public - and they are very sincere and very adamant that the program saved them and their family.  The truth - that they haven't spoken to their child in a year or more has nothing to do with it - and those lacking inside knowledge, seldom think to ask.

Those who insist the program was a life saver, despite the fact their kid has fallen into far worse shape than before the program; and/or despite the fact, they have divorced a spouse they loved, and/or are shunning their own parents and siblings for not being supportive;  are not rational, free thinking persons. They are brainwashed members of a cult.

I think it is important to understand this. I think education is the key. How to educate the masses in the numbers required is the question.  I'm sorry if I derailed the thread by bringing this up - but I do feel it is important.

I do also want to add that yes, Zero tolerance is part of the problem - and this is something we also need to address when ever possible.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 06, 2007, 08:52:15 PM »
Buzzkill, weren't you using different "nics" back then and these are the posts Bock is referring to as being deleted or edited?  If so, please clarify because frankly, I think if you were using a different name than buzzkill and erasing/deleting posts, Bock would be making a fair statement.  Why beat around the bush?

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 06, 2007, 10:40:49 PM »
Quote from: Karass

That will require a political shift. Zero tolerance comes from the conservative "get tough on crime" folks, who tend to be the same folks that don't want to spend tax money on things like mental health services for youth. Even good non hysterical doctors are getting harder to find. Many times, it's a doctor or therapist who suggests the idea of a therapeutic boarding school to parents. I suspect in most cases they know absolutely nothing about what these programs really do, but they suggest them anyway as an option for troubled parents.
Quote from: Karass

I agree. There is a lack of good mental health services here as well. It only ever becomes an issue at election time. i think that the professionals who recommend programs are morally reprihensible and should be reported to the local medical board. As someone who has a sibling who is a family doctor I know about 30% of what she deals with are parents who found their kid's stash. The standard "treatment" is to talk to the kid privately about the genuine risks, do the same with the parent but also reassure them thatbtheir kid is not a junkie and send them on their way. In the rare event of a kid with a real problem they whole family are called in and discuss the best way to go. It is *extremely* rare that some sort of institution is used. is there much of a political movement away from zero tolerance? How would you start one?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 11:23:53 PM by Guest »
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 06, 2007, 10:46:55 PM »
Can Carey and Buzzkill please settle this private score on PM? This really has nothing to do with grassroots action

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 06, 2007, 10:47:51 PM »
Can Carey and Buzzkill please settle this private score on PM? This really has nothing to do with grassroots action

Offline Karass

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 07, 2007, 12:29:06 AM »
Quote from: ""Oz girl""
is there much of a political movement away from zero tolerance? How would you start one?

I think this is relevant to the topic of a grass-roots movement against programs, because programs thrive on parents' fears, and many of those fears are driven by the zero tolerance mentality, and the harsh and long-lasting consequences of zero tolerance laws and zero tolerance educational and social policies.

How do you start a political movement? Well, it helps if a large % of the population has been affected by misguided policies. I think we're getting close to reaching that critical mass in the U.S. regarding the damaging effects of zero tolerance on millions of lives. At some point, enough Americans will have been affected to where they may collectively agree that things have got to change, and that the solution to society's behavioral problems is not simply to lock everyone up.

The U.S. has only 5% of the world's population, but we have 25% of the world's prisoners -- more than any other nation. China, with more than 4 times as many people, has fewer prisoners than the U.S. At the end of 2006, the Justice Department reported a record 7 million Americans either in prison, on parole or on probation. That's not counting all those who once were in prison, on parole or probation, but have since completed their sentences and are living free. The total number of living Americans with criminal records is easily in the tens of millions -- more than the total population of your country, Oz Girl (and they say that Oz was founded by convicts!).

2 million Americans are arrested every year for drug crimes. Another 2.5 million are arrested every year for alcohol crimes. Combined, that's more than 1 out of every 70 Americans that gets arrested every year for either drug or alcohol offenses.

Do we make any attempt to offer help to those who want it, or do we just throw bigger obstacles in their way? Well let's see...for a first offense DUI, you get mandatory jail time -- possibly enough to cause someone to lose their job. Repeat offenders get more jail time, bigger fines, etc. First offense marijuana possession, you get probation and mandatory drug testing. Violating probation or repeat offenses will get you jail time. Or for college students, any drug arrest (not even a conviction, just an arrest) can cost you your financial aid and possibly get you permanently expelled from school.

At some point in the not-too-distant future, there will be more American families damaged by zero tolerance than not. We may even reach the point where there are more people with criminal records than without. At that point, maybe we will collectively decide that we're going about all this the wrong way, and that our society and our economy can't afford to keep building more and more prisons and have such a large % of our workforce under-utilized due to lost educational opportunities and the stigma of trying to find a decent job when you have a criminal record.

"insanedeadorinjail" may be a popular program marketing slogan, and we all know that very few people go insane or die from their adolescent turbulence and everything that goes with it. But jail is not a fantasy -- it's very much a reality for many of our citizens. Many program parents and potential program parents are terrified of what that means for their kids, and with that fear, they can be very susceptible to the program sales pitch that claims to offer solutions that are outside of the legal system.

If we didn't live in a police state, that sales pitch would be much less effective.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 02:16:27 AM by Guest »
Like its politicians and its wars, society has the teenagers it deserves. -- J.B. Priestley

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 07, 2007, 01:22:31 AM »
You can get arrested for an Alcohol crime????
When you say people are arrested for drugs- Is some of that stat drug related crime (theft to support habits etc) or just possesion and consumption related?
How would someone go about setting up an end zero tolerance lobby group? or some sort of similar think tank? This is an interesting issue becasue there is not necessarily a liberal conservative divide in those who oppose it. many Americans who I have spoken to are on one level quite conservative  also extend this view to staying out of peoples lives when it comes to civil liberty issues. This is different to here where most gonservatives are total hypocrites when it comes to civil liberties. This is prolly one of the few things that bleeding heart liberals like myself have in common with the American Free market Neo Cons. Given this lack of divide on civil liberty issues are there any think tanks (liberal and free market) or lobby groups that would take this zero tolerance issue up?
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Karass

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 07, 2007, 02:23:35 AM »
Alcohol crimes, yes of course. DUI is the most common -- 1.8 million of those 2.5 million arrests per year. The rest are things like public intoxication or other liquor law violations like underage drinking and open containers in cars.

The drug crime stat I mentioned was just for possession. Other crimes -- you mentioned theft to support a habit -- are not counted as drug arrests, even though some number of thefts or other property crimes are probably related to drug habits.
Like its politicians and its wars, society has the teenagers it deserves. -- J.B. Priestley

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 07, 2007, 03:08:28 AM »
Id forgotten to factor DUI in.

Offline Joyce Harris

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 07, 2007, 06:24:21 AM »
The website Crime in the United States, published by the U.S.Department of Justice and the FBI; lists offenses by Region, State, Local Agency and year.

It does show arrests for "Drunkenness" and "DUi"

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2006/data/table_45.html

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 07, 2007, 06:29:56 AM »
You can get arrested for an Alcohol crime????

Well, in addition to DUI, which was mentioned before, you can also get arrested for drunk and disorderly, as well as open bottle, if you are in a city/state that has such a policy. .(Open bottle means that you have an open bottle of beer on public streets, as opposed to a bar.)

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 07, 2007, 08:34:55 AM »
or if you have an open container of alcohol and you are a passenger in a car..... or if you have a ride mower and you take it down the street to mow a neighbors lawn and you have been drinking or are holding a beer.

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 07, 2007, 09:03:15 AM »
I suppose technically you can be arrested for these things anywhere. it is just whether the police bother to and the extent to which the judge bothers to enforce any kind of real penalty.

A laywer I know once had to defend a 20 year old who drunkenly jumped onto the bar and exposed himself as a $50.00 bet during a particularly rowdy foot ball victory celebration. The magistrate fined him the 50.00 and no conviction was recorded.

http://www.aclu.org/index.html
http://www.jlc.org/EZT/
here are some links to some civil libertarian associations. What does anyone know about them? have they had any real wins?

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 07, 2007, 10:12:37 AM »
Couldn't agree more Karass. Your spot on there. The civil penalties for minor drug related infractions devastate a person's ability to get a job or an education. Ironically, gainful employment and education are the two most effective solutions to the problem of substance abuse.

In my state, I have had reason to learn, a second paraphernalia charge is a felony. If  a felony goes on your rap sheet, getting any job worth having (that is legal) is extremely difficult.  The state can effectively set a young person up for a life of crime, on society's fringes, by making it impossible for them to find a decent job or get an education - and all this because they got pulled over for going 10 over - and had a pipe in the car. How stupid is that?

If we would decriminalize individual drug use; Stop worring about the hill-billies growing pot instead of distilling moonshine - put the funds that currently go into eradicating marijuana fields in KY and CA for example; and put that money into providing adequate mental health services for those who request it; and drug rehabilitation for those who want it; and job training and education for those who want it - we could soon find ourselves living in a much better place.

I don't advocate ignoring the problem of drug abuse; and I am not saying it isn't a serious and destructive problem for many people. I am saying spend the money to fight the destruction in a common sense way - one that actually helps people. We've got to stop crippling our young men and women's ability to improve their lives by labeling them criminals, when they are in fact perfectly normal, decent young folk, who are going through the same life stages their folks went threw - and would come out of it just fine, if not saddled with a felony for smoking pot.

I'd agree that making this point with every politician you can would be an important part of any grass roots effort.

I'd also agree that the effect of zero tolerance cause a great deal of the stress a parent experiences when their son or daughter is using and getting caught. The consequences are far more serious than they were back in "our day", because of zero tolerance policies.  There is a powerful incentive to try and save your goofy teen from crippling their potential in the ways described - and these programs can seem like a fine way to go about this.

So, even if you don't really expect the miracle promised - If you don't know about the abuse potential, and you assume they are regulated by the states and professional boards (because, after all - how can a facility of any kind, that houses children on the grounds and takes responsibility for their education and therapeutic needs, not be regulated and overseen by the state and other professional governing boards?) you can take some comfort in the fact your son or daughter is not likely to get busted while there.

So, yes, it is most definitely a factor.