Author Topic: idea, inspired by over the gw. the grassroots effort thread.  (Read 18795 times)

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
idea, inspired by over the gw. the grassroots effort thread.
« Reply #180 on: October 07, 2007, 10:15:42 PM »
Quote from: ""Oz girl""
I suppose technically you can be arrested for these things anywhere. it is just whether the police bother to and the extent to which the judge bothers to enforce any kind of real penalty.

A laywer I know once had to defend a 20 year old who drunkenly jumped onto the bar and exposed himself as a $50.00 bet during a particularly rowdy foot ball victory celebration.
Well.  I was at this bar last week with frends and some young woman did the exact same thing (though I dont' think it was a bet... she was just really drunk).  The only thing the Bartender bothered to do was take out his camera phone.  Somehow i doubt most cops would have arrested her either.
The magistrate fined him the 50.00 and no conviction was recorded.

http://www.aclu.org/index.html
http://www.jlc.org/EZT/
here are some links to some civil libertarian associations. What does anyone know about them? have they had any real wins?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 08, 2007, 07:37:27 AM »
I got caught pissing in a garbage can in college when I was drunk. The cop laughed at me and told me to go home.

It is all very subjective and dependent on the officer.

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 08, 2007, 09:52:32 AM »
I thought this might be of some interest to our more net savvy youngsters ;)

As seen on the CNN web site:

I-REPORT
Ask Jimmy Carter something
Send your video questions to the former U.S. president, who will appear on The Situation Room on Wednesday

I'd suggest asking if Mr. Carter, who has shown so much humanitarian concern for various Africans and Palestinians, and so on, if he would be willing to show similar concern for young Americans being held in these abusive, private for profit facilities? Explain briefly the common use of stress positions, sleep deprivation an other forms of mental and physical battering - so similar to the controversial treatment of the Iraqi prisoners. Ask if he will help speak out against this outrage - Oh and be sure to mention the republican connection and history of involvement.

Even if it doesn't get aired - someone is screening these - it might help highten awarness - maybe get a furture story done. . . Seems worth a shot.

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 08, 2007, 10:06:39 AM »
Would he even be aware?
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 08, 2007, 10:12:18 AM »
No - I doubt he would - but thats the point. Make him aware. And, keep the heat on CNN to cover this story.

Maybe a few letters to Anderson Cooper might be in order;  thanking him for his extended coverage of the Vick Pit Bull abuse scandal - and asking him to take similar interest and concern for the institutional abuse of American Teens in Private for Profit gulags.

Offline Karass

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 08, 2007, 12:17:22 PM »
Quote from: ""Wandering Waygookin""
I got caught pissing in a garbage can in college when I was drunk. The cop laughed at me and told me to go home.

Cops on college campuses ain't what they used to be. If you did that today, you would most likely be arrested for public intoxication and public indecency at a minimum. You would have disciplinary action from the university that would cost you some money and waste your time. That's above and beyond the official court appearance you would have to make and the sentence they would give you -- probation, mandatory counseling or alcohol awareness classes, more fines and maybe some community service.

A huge heap of shit just for being drunk and pissing in a garbage can.
Like its politicians and its wars, society has the teenagers it deserves. -- J.B. Priestley

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 08, 2007, 12:31:18 PM »
Quote from: ""Karass""

Cops on college campuses ain't what they used to be. If you did that today, you would most likely be arrested for public intoxication and public indecency at a minimum. You would have disciplinary action from the university that would cost you some money and waste your time. That's above and beyond the official court appearance you would have to make and the sentence they would give you -- probation, mandatory counseling or alcohol awareness classes, more fines and maybe some community service.

Prolly worst than that as the garbage can was inside a building.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 08, 2007, 12:31:25 PM »

i'd have to disagree. it depends on many factors such as which college, the type of town, your reputation, your appearance, your ethnic and economic backround, and if the officer feels you will actually listen and go home or go out and cause trouble.

since i was 14 i've been caught smoking weed by the cops multiple times. every time they just questioned me, took my stash and let me go, twice with the same cop. i only recently got a ticket for smoking, and it was because it was the same cops 3rd time catching me. and it's just a $100 ticket, and it doesnt stay on my record. the reason i've never had trouble before its because whenever i was caught i was very respectfull, i was not obnoxious yet i did crack a few jokes, and i'm a clean-cut jewish boy.

if you dress like a punk the cops will treat you like one, if you dress like a bussinessman the cops will likewise, treat you as one. if you consider them the enemy, they will consider you likewise, but if you understand that it's their job they'll understand youre just trying to smoke a jay to relax.  

we all hate profiling, but smart people use it to their advantage. idiots just provoke their own mistreatment. you cant change how a cop thinks, but you can change how they look at you.

Offline lorrispickelmire

• View Profile
resisting restraints
« Reply #188 on: October 08, 2007, 03:34:41 PM »
Resistance is futile.  If you resisted lockup in the Roloff Homes, they used more people to put you in, including the other kids, and the beatings were much worse for all the protest.  I would not encourage resistance in one of these facilities, they have no problem with escalating the violence.

Lorri
quot;It will be found an unjust and unwise jealousy to deprive a man of his natural liberty upon the supposition he may abuse it.\"
                                        George Washington

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 08, 2007, 05:16:08 PM »

Prolly worst than that as the garbage can was inside a building.

Don't tase me bro!!!
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

Offline Deprogrammed

• View Profile
    • http://www.pathwayfamilycenter.fornits.com
awwww
« Reply #190 on: October 08, 2007, 05:56:07 PM »
Quote from: ""hanzomon4""
I was thinking one night how neat it would be if survivors would give speeches at universities about the industry and their experience. I'm not sure how that could be accomplished but it would be a way to do something real that gets others involved.

"Speaking engagements"
Just like they made us do to advertise for the program....I likey likey this idea.
-DP
"So, you can make me cum ...that doesn\'t make you, Jesus"....Tori Amos copyright
Read about Pathway Family Centers here.

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 09, 2007, 08:53:59 AM »
Perhaps some of you guys who went to these schools/wilderness places but are now uni students or alumni could approach various university heads of relevant departments like psych, social work or teaching and ask to do a 1 off guest lecture.
It seems many young people who get hired by these places as their first graduate job do so out of a desire to make a difference. A real description of what the effect of this crap is could send a powerful message.
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen