Author Topic: Math @ CEDU  (Read 1701 times)

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
Math @ CEDU
« on: September 05, 2007, 05:32:23 AM »
I can remember talking to some CEDU alumni who said that there were not traditional math classes there. Can anyone remember what the math classes were called and what they consisted of?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
Math @ CEDU
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 06:34:17 AM »
Depends on the era. When I first got there, the math was a joke, but when I was in upper school, it was traditional algebra, geometry and trig, taught by Will Vernard, who, to this day, I still don't understand why he worked there, since he was a rather smart fellow.

Anyway, while I was in Voyageurs, the first family, we had what was known as Mortensen math, which was a system designed to teach advanced math concepts to CHILDREN. We all thought it was a joke, and were frustrated.

It's ironic how most of us couldn't wait to ditch and cut school outside of CEDU, but once our academics were taken away from us, we complained like crazy about how much we missed normal classes that actually taught us something.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
2+2=5
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 07:29:24 AM »
In my time at , math was sitting in a room an hour, two days a week, with a math book. No one really taught you. It was you and a book figure it out.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Math
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 11:43:03 AM »
I attended cedu RS from 89-91.

I too experienced the Mortenson Math. What a joke!
We would sit around twice a week for an hour and just talk amongst ourselves and complete books. (There were several books with several levels)

It didn't matter how many you completed and I don't really remember getting them back graded.

I was on work assignments so much that there were "semesters" that I only had attended classes maybe 10-12 times. Somehow, I still got B's and C's.

When I left Cedu, my parents put me in a private High School. Cedu had me as a Mid year JR with my credits. After taking their entrance exam, the school was particularly interested in where I had come from. they said "There was no way I could be a mid year Jr with my math scores where they were."

The school still took my parents money (cuz it was private) and admitted me. However, they put me in a Freshman remedial pre-algebra class. Seriously, some of the people in there were borderline retarded. I was 17 and they were all 14. (Big difference in HS) I was SOOO embarrassed. Worse yet, the school started me at as a mid yr Sophmore, so I was the oldest senior in HS. I was "that guy" thanks to Cedu and Mortenson Math for that matter.

I remember I would get out of that class and people thought I was a teachers aide...many times I stuck by that story.

Chalk this up as reason #1262 for why I loathe Cedu!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
School
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 11:54:13 AM »
All the "courses" were like that then. They weren't even teachers. Nothing was graded or taught.  You could eat Mac and Cheese and get credit for the Culinary Arts.   Hell, raps were given a Communication credit--is that a joke or what?!   I consider that a"What Not To Do" course!

What was sad is that CEDU was marketed as a school--I dropped out of mine, and my parents wanted me to complete my ed--a primary reason they put me in CEDU. CEDU school wasn't even a registered school, but a registered Group Home.  Talk aout False Advertising.

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
Math @ CEDU
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 12:16:47 AM »
Hell, raps were given a Communication credit--is that a joke or what?

Haha. Raps at RMA were credited as "interpersonal dynamic workshops."

Fucking euphamism of the century.

Offline Psianide

• View Profile
Math @ CEDU
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 08:29:01 AM »
When I went there were real classes in math and other subjects (once you finished in the wood coral of course). There was a shortage of teachers though, and I ended up teaching myself half of my algebra class.
quot;Anyone who doesn\'t understand how a book of lies can be useful won\'t like this one either\" -Kurt Vonnegut