Author Topic: The 10 Priorities (from Biggest Job)  (Read 20511 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
The 10 Priorities (from Biggest Job)
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2007, 08:07:15 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
What I have observed is in the dynamic of groups that I have been apart of Truth and Harmony are poles. Not opposite but when one is veered to it is sometimes to the detriment of the other. If I am on a team or leading a team, I need to consider the goal of the team as the context of feedback I give to my team members also the overall effect of the feedback on the individual.

The relation that truth bears to harmony is that of means to end. Of course, here one has to be careful to distinguish between individual harmony and collective harmony, as you started to do in your football example. A team captain who nails a teammate for a slack performance values truth over individual harmony. He values truth not as an end in itself but as a means of restoring collective (team) harmony. "Truth" over individual harmony, but collective harmony over "truth."

"Truth," for the sake of collective harmony, easily degenerates into the Gauld-given right to persecute anyone who doesn't jump on the Hyde bandwagon. The label "truth" is one of Hyde's many abuses of language. Their most elevating and comforting words are only pretense and delusion! That was one of the most instructive periods of my life -- learning not to accept words at face value. It was very educating for my whole life.

So to the extent that the truth is knowable, and I believe that extent is described to a large degree by the Pragmatists, the truth is that the Truth does not always work.

If you want to talk about Truth with a capital T and shed some light on Hyde, you might look into utilitarianism. Utilitarianism's highest imperative is that one do what is best for society. It was originated by Jeremy Bentham in the nineteenth century. Bentham's conception of utilitarianism is now called "act rationality." Young Raskolnikov in Crime and Punishment killed the old moneylender because she was a bane on society, and because her money could be put to better social uses. Raskolnikov was a Benthamite. But no one wants a philosophy that sanctions murder. So John Stuart Mill came up with "rule rationality." There might be something in utilitarianism that is of relevance to Hyde.

Spok

Thanks I will do some pursuing on utilitarianism as part of my hobby as an amateur epistemologist

"Damn it Jim! I'm a doctor not a epistimologist!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonard_McCoy
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2007, 03:27:30 PM »
Okay, the third one's another INSPIRING gem... I have some issues with this one, having been at the short end of this stick more than one too many times, ha ha haaa...

I prefer to call it "the tyranny of the mediocre over the genius of the few."  As far as the Attitude Adjusters Society is concerned, you can have a good attitude or you may or may not have good aptitude, but you can not excel at both.

============================

Priority #3
Attitude Over Aptitude

Our current educational system is preoccupied with innate talent, thus we set up a "pecking order" as well as debilitating morale among our young people. When we ask high school students, "Are there kids at your school who do little or no work, but make the honor roll?" the answer is always a resounding "yes." It should not come as a surprise that many of our students are more preoccupied with reaching the top, rather than how to reach their best with integrity. Others may choose to "opt out" and sabotage their own educations. If our schools and communities valued attitude over aptitude, effort over ability and character over talent, we might see a decrease in lying, cheating, and stealing. We definitely would all be better off. We might even develop positive aptitudes over the long term.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 03:54:07 PM by Guest »
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2007, 02:10:40 AM »
Quote from: ""Ursus""
Priority #3
http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17713&start=21

and on Joe's pandering to the vast market for low achievers compared to the market for high achievers in:

http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t= ... c&start=16

There is something evil and vicious in the Gaulds' above portrait of the smart kid. He doesn't work for his good grades. He lacks character. He is responsible for the nation's high dropout rates. He corrupts youth, causing them to lie, cheat, and steal (!). His very presence in the classroom is demoralizing to others. How familiar it all sounds. How Mein Kampf. No wonder I felt like the Prince of the New Pharisees.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2007, 05:54:03 AM »
There is something evil and vicious in the Gaulds' above portrait of the smart kid.

... in the Gaulds' vilification of the smart kid. Vilification is the word I was looking for.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2007, 07:05:06 AM »
http://[url=http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=22009&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=17]http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t= ... c&start=17
[/url]

The system at Hyde not only vilifies the intellectually gifted, but sets up a system that can be gamed by those gifted with other talents.   I think the system does pick some people of character, but also picks some people that have problematic lives.  Some of the people that are passed over lead "purpose driven" lives.  IF there was a way to quantify it,  I suspect that there is a large element of randomness: flip a coin - heads you get a diploma tails you don't.
  I found value in my experience at Hyde but not from the didactic character growth message.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2007, 09:09:45 AM »
IF there was a way to quantify it, I suspect that there is a large element of randomness: flip a coin - heads you get a diploma tails you don't.

I think it could be random if you were lucky enough to be one of the more "invisible" ones.  But if they honed their sights on you for one reason or another, you fell into one of the extreme categories:  either set up to be one of Hyde's "superstars," or impeded and sabotaged whilst you were there, and long after you left.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 04:19:43 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2007, 12:22:11 PM »
Hey Ursey...

Do you have a job.  Man, if you worked for me and spent all this time posting, I'd be pretty bummed.

If you're a trust funder...how 'bout a donation for the new student ctr on the Woodstock campus?!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2007, 12:34:18 PM »
There is something evil and vicious in the Gaulds' above portrait of the smart kid. He doesn't work for his good grades. He lacks character. He is responsible for the nation's high dropout rates. He corrupts youth, causing them to lie, cheat, and steal (!). His very presence in the classroom is demoralizing to others. How familiar it all sounds. How Mein Kampf. No wonder I felt like the Prince of the New Pharisees.

???
And yet... I don't think there is a school in this country that has a higher "drop-out" rate than Hyde.  I think they are lucky if they can claim 40% stay the whole course 'till "graduation."  It's probably far less than that.  Not exactly the kind of information that Hyde would be forthright about.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2007, 01:16:57 PM »

???
And yet... I don't think there is a school in this country that has a higher "drop-out" rate than Hyde.  I think they are lucky if they can claim 40% stay the whole course 'till "graduation."  It's probably far less than that.  Not exactly the kind of information that Hyde would be forthright about.

Interesting point.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2007, 01:20:54 PM »
Hey Ursey...

Do you have a job.  Man, if you worked for me and spent all this time posting, I'd be pretty bummed.

If you're a trust funder...how 'bout a donation for the new student ctr on the Woodstock campus?!

I think he works for Hyde.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2007, 01:28:54 PM »

???

Interesting point.

What would be the take-home from that?  That greater than 60% of the student population failed to "apply" themselves appropriately?  Or that the Hyde program is not applicable to greater than 60% of the student population?  Either way, doesn't make Hyde look too good.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2007, 03:07:32 PM »
Hey Ursey...

:rofl:
Gee, Buddy, I'm almost flattered to be singled out by you like that; didn't have a clue that you cared that much...

All fun aside, I do hope for your sake that you are able to someday "wake up and smell the coffee."  'Till then, have a nice day.
 :wave:

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2007, 03:09:50 PM »
I really do see this "Priority" is one of Hyde's primary means of stifling critical thought and true scholarship.  It is nothing more than a pithy and reactionary sophism that rationalizes some of their more egregious indoctrination efforts.

If Hyde School methods do not work for whatever reason for greater than 60% of the student population, then something is seriously amiss with their alleged intent to "change the face of American education."  Somewhere, somehow, there is a serious disconnect with reality.

Funny, that figure roughly coincides with their unsuccessful attempts in the charter school business too, ha ha haa!  And this is presuming 100% student participation in the schools they do manage to get up and running...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2007, 07:18:03 PM »

???

Interesting point.

What would be the take-home from that?  That greater than 60% of the student population failed to "apply" themselves appropriately?  Or that the Hyde program is not applicable to greater than 60% of the student population?  Either way, doesn't make Hyde look too good.

I guess I was born with a captious mind, but it seems to me that if hyde is protesting the failures of the public school system as evidenced in high drop out rates, but hyde itself has a high drop out rate, that Hyde is being hypocritical and not living up to the First principle of Truth over Harmony.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2007, 07:33:14 PM »
Quote from: ""Ursus""
Priority #3
http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17713&start=21

and on Joe's pandering to the vast market for low achievers compared to the market for high achievers in:

http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t= ... c&start=16

Protocol of the Elders of Smartness!

And who causes all the wars?  The smart people.  March all the smart kids to re-education camps in Maine or Connecticut.