Author Topic: Trojan Horse  (Read 1924 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Trojan Horse
« on: June 02, 2003, 05:49:00 PM »
Two times now - someone's tried to hack into my computer when I'm on the fornit site. But allegedly, both times it's been blocked by my computer program. Tell me, how would a person do that when I don't log onto the site? Is that random or coincidence that it has happened twice on the same site? Just wondering.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Trojan Horse
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2003, 06:20:00 PM »
Well, it's possible to snag IP addresses from people who view just about anything a person has posted anywhere. I won't go into detail here. But, suffice it to say that it can be done here or on any other public forum that allows things like external image references.

I could monitor IPs who read a post I made on any open form on the net, iow, and so could anyone else with a basic facility at cgi programing or even without it if they know where to find the scripts written by others.

In any civilized society, it is every citizen's responsibility to obey just laws.  But at the same time, it is every citizen's responsibility to disobey unjust laws.
--Martin Luther King

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline FaceKhan

• View Profile
Trojan Horse
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2003, 02:43:00 AM »
If your talking about your firewall software stopping incoming traffic. It is probably just that your firewall is set wrong and is picking up traffic sent by the site like the confirmation of your post page or something like that.
All of the darkness of the world cannot put out the light of one small candle.\"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Trojan Horse
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2003, 12:25:00 PM »
No it said a "trojan horse attack" was blocked. That's completely different than the firewall messages. It was definitely someone trying to hack into my computer, but it keeps happening on one particular site and I just wondered how that keeps happening when I'm not logged into that site. It may be random, you know, a hacker that sits on that site, or it could be personal. Whichever it is, it's annoying that someone keeps trying to hack their way in. But no, it's definitely not the settings on the security system. It said "Trojan Horse attack" when it notified me and it comes in a different form than incoming/outgoing traffic messages. And if you remember the battle of Troy, they hid inside the horse and then came out to attack, so whatever that means in computer speak, it was definitely an attempt with an evil intent whether it is random or specific.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Trojan Horse
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2003, 06:03:00 PM »
Well, that's what's a little confusing to me. Usually, in geek speak, trojan horse refers to a program that someone offers as a useful, benign gizmo. Then, when you install it, it does other things in the background.

But there's nothing on this site that attempts to download anything to your machine. The only file this software writes to is the cookie file. So I'm not getting what your scanner/firewall software means when it says 'trojan attack'.

When cryptography is outlawed, bayl bhgynjf jvyy unir cevinpl.
--
Anonymous . . . for obvious reasons

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Trojan Horse
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2003, 12:47:00 PM »