Author Topic: If I met my teenage self what would I say?  (Read 1582 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
If I met my teenage self what would I say?
« on: September 27, 2007, 09:19:35 AM »
I was thinking what practical advice could I give myself if I met my 13 year old self before any program or anything and what I would say.

First thing I would tell myself is don't buy the hype. Programs and forced treatment are 100% dependent on convincing you that you are deformed and in need of help. The first big step to avoiding program related identity crisis is accepting the fact you are just fine the way you are, problems and all.

Second thing I would say is to realize that people are manipulating you. What is being told is not the truth. This is important tool they use to break kids. They tell them they can keep you forever, and since some kids stay literally forever on staff after graduating it seems true at the time.

Another advice I would give myself is to work any psychiatrist for all they are worth. In a program you mine as well be as high as you can get, or at least get medication to trade for useful items and food. Medication is gold in programs, especially things like valium and xanax or anything strong like that. They are more than willing to give it to you if you say the right things. Words are much more useful than fighting back physically. They manipulate you, manipulate them right back the best you can.

Another piece of advice I would offer is to avoid programs altogether. Look out for brochures the parents are looking for. Most of all don't willingly go thinking it's some summer camp or that it will be no big deal and you can deal with anything. I would tell myself, you don't want to deal with this shit. You don't want to meet the people you are going to meet. You don't want to live with the memories for the rest of your life.

I would tell myself to try and be a good actor. I would say to play the role best you can if stuck in a program without hurting others, and get out as fast as possible. It took me a long time to realize the smartest and most prudent kids are those ones who bullshit there way through fast and never look back. You can only fight a program so much inside, better to save your strength and fight programs afterwards.

On the other hand, fighting back might be needed for the psychological well being of the incarcaerated youth. When presented with a situation designed to make you feel totally powerless, inflicting any sort of damage on that design helps regain a psychological sense of control over one's life and future. Even if that future is negative, at least you control it.

The most important advice I would give myself though, is no matter how bad things get, no matter how deep into the tunnel you go, when you think you've seen the worst of humanity and have been in pain for so long you don't know what relief feels like -- always remember -- it can and will get worse. There are levels of hell going so deep it is beyond imagination.

But really only one piece of advice would be needed to prevent the whole damn enchilada: never trust your parents again from this point on.

If you ran into your teenage self what would you say?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Rachael

• View Profile
Re: If I met my teenage self what would I say?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 11:47:26 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""

But really only one piece of advice would be needed to prevent the whole damn enchilada: never trust your parents again from this point on.

If you ran into your teenage self what would you say?

Sigh.... The same as above essentially. I would tell my teenage self never to trust my mother - that she is a psychopath and only trying to hurt me. I would tell myself never to be honest till safely out of reach (18). The single biggest mistake I ever made was being honest that I had tried smoking pot and taking acid. When asked, I didn't lie and I should have. I have since learned that people cannot be trusted and that my family in particular is only out to get me.

For that matter, here is what I would tell my present-day self: nothing has changed. They are still out to get you, only now they need to prove that what was done to you was justified. And trying to justify the psychological torture, physical deprivation, emotional devastation, and rape of your own daughter is no easy feat - so these people are dangerous. They will do anything to make themselves clean again, and remember that twisted people just like this burned witches to purge themselves not too long ago.
Justice, Justice shall you pursue.

Deuteronomy 16:20

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 10:42:37 PM »
I would tell my teen self, "don't do so many drugs" and "don't be such a fuck up." My teen self would then say, "fuck off old man, whadda you know anyway?"

And I would smile and answer to myself "a lot." Like I know my teen self is in for some serious hell and some grief before he becomes a semi-responsible adult who can take care of himself.

But I won't tell him that, because I remember very well that he won't listen anyway.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 10:48:59 PM »
I would remind myself to get it on with that girl that sat next to me in my 9th grade spanish class.

Offline 3xsaSeedling

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 11:08:06 PM »
Shut up and just watch for a change
you don't have to screw every 'dick' you meet
always tell the truth (TO YOURSELF at least)
keep your word
don't have kids
Of all the things I\'ve ever lost, I miss my mind the most.
Wait...I found \'IT\'!!    
oh joy

"Fresh baked daily!"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 02:25:57 AM »
I'd shoot my teenage self in the forehead just to see what would happen.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 05:41:31 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
I'd shoot my teenage self in the forehead just to see what would happen.

Interesting.  What you're talking about is autoinfanticide (traveling back in time and killing yourself as a kid)... similar the Grandfather Paradox (where you go back in time to kill your grandfather, and never exist as a result, so how could you have gone back in time to... you get the point.  It's why it's a paradox)  People use it to argue why time travel in reverse could never be possible (although some present the theory of alternate timelines to counter this...).
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 07:25:58 PM »
I'd tell my self to run away and stay gone till I turned 18. It would have been paradise compared to straight! If only...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 07:26:33 PM »
I'd tell my self to run away and stay gone till I turned 18. It would have been paradise compared to straight! If only...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007, 07:46:17 PM »
If I met my teenage self, what would I say?????

I guess that I would tell myself that you have no choice where you are, and that you are stuck there until you are 18, and to make as little waves as possible. That there is a light at the end of the tunnel, and that you are strong, and can make it through.

I would also remind myself that it was not my fault that I was there. I would explain to myself that it was my selfish parents fault, and not mine. My actions after being there for 4+ years realizing I had been abandoned turned me into a violent person, and for that I was wrong. I would give myself a big hug, and say you can do this. You will make it through.

I also would say you will be successful someday, and to not doubt yourself, or pay attention to what haters say. There are some people out there that want to see you fail.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007, 10:38:41 PM »
Go to the most flamboyant stylist you can find with daddy's money, then use daddy's money to get a wardrobe. Milk his budget for all its worth c/o his new wife to look hot while a teen instead of a dork.

Get laid and socially network like a fucking spider spinning a web. Again, milk daddy! Don't skip every single fucking milestone celebration in your young life so you're stuck looking back on it bitterly.

Act on impulses instead of repressing them. Listen to your gut, its never wrong!

Hit back... hit first, for that matter.

Stick with engineering, fuck computer shit. Build a V8 RX7 before they get jacked up and inflated by being the flavor of the month when everyone else catches on. Learn to weld.

DON'T FUCKING MOVE TO FLORIDA! PERIOD!

Buy gold.... its jacked in price between my mid teens and now ;). SELL ENRON!

DO NOT GO TO FORNITS. DO NOT READ THAT THING ON FARK ABOUT TRANQUILITY BAY A SECOND TIME! TELL YOURSELF ITS ONLY IN JAMAICA!

I'd say that covers it :D
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007, 10:56:57 PM »
Conversations with my thirteen year old self

You're angry
I know this
The world couldn't care less
You're lonely
I feel this
And you wish you were the best
No teachers
Or guidance
And you always walk alone
You're crying
At night when
Nobody else is home

Come over here and let me hold your hand and hug you darling
I promise you that it won't always feel this bad
There are so many things I want to say to you
You're the girl I used to be
You little heartbroken thirteen year old me

You're laughing
But you're hiding
God I know that trick too well
You forget
That I've been you
And now I'm just the shell
I promise
I love you and
Everything will work out fine
Don't try to
Grow up yet
Oh just give it some time

The pain you feel is real you're not asleep but it's a nightmare
But you can wake up anytime
Oh don't lose your passion or the fighter that's inside of you
You're the girl I used to be
The pissed off complicated thirteen year old me

Until we meet again
Oh I wish you well oh
I wish you well
Little girl
Until we meet again
Oh
I wish you well
Little girl
I wish you well
Until we meet again
My little thirteen year old me

Pink (2006)

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2007, 06:28:15 AM »
"Psssssst! You're a dude."

Offline seamus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2007, 11:14:04 AM »
Id teach me to roll a better joint,how to talk girls into 3somes, how to pick locks,because kicking in doors and prying windows is soooo passe,and how to dogsled. OH id tell myself,GET THE FUCK OUT OF VENICE,NO SARASOTA COUNTY,NO NO FUCK OUT OF FUCKING FLORIDA,NOW DONT WASTE ANY MORE TIME IN THIS DEAD END SHITBOX...........AND LEAVE THAT RED-HEADED,SPINELESS TRIFLING BITCH ALONE..............DO IT NOW.......ARGHHHHHHHHH
It\'d be sad if it wernt so funny,It\'d be funny if it wernt so sad