Author Topic: How it Works  (Read 10589 times)

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
How it Works
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2007, 04:24:01 PM »
I just wanted to establish that the kids had access to phones, where able to call home and their calls were not monitored.
There seems to be a huge misconception here, I saw their setup and my daughter used it...its nothing like straight.... just wanted to clear that up.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
How it Works
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2007, 04:31:35 PM »
Quote from: ""TheWho""
I just wanted to establish that the kids had access to phones, where able to call home and their calls were not monitored.
There seems to be a huge misconception here, I saw their setup and my daughter used it...its nothing like straight.... just wanted to clear that up.

Well, that's your opinion.  From those posting above that victims of ASR wrote, its very much like Straight.  The feelings and experiences they shared were virtually identical to what I went through so many years ago.  Which would make sense since they all use the same methodologies, techniques and approaches.  When you keep using the same basic tenets, the superficial changes don't matter.

How many times you want to go round and round about this?  I think ASR is fundamentally no different.  You do.  Isn't that about where we are?  Or do you have to always get the 'last word' in?
 :rofl:

Wait for it......wait for it.......
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
How it Works
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2007, 04:37:23 PM »
Disagreement is good, healthy, brings it out into the open...you have experience with straight and I have experience with ASR and wilderness.  There must be a big difference or we wouldnt be arguing about it.

There will always be many different points of view on the same topic, its what makes all of this so interesting, dynamic and may serve as the instrument of change in these schools.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
How it Works
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2007, 04:42:24 PM »
:rofl:

That didn't take long.

You have zero experience with Straight.  You have a cursory knowledge of ASR seeing as you were a parent and not an actual inmate.  I have no experience with ASR other than what I've read from those that have been there.  Everything I've read, even the posts by supporters of ASR tells me that there really are no meaningful differences.  They are slight and of little value to the issues at hand.  They are still about milieu control.  They still use the therapeutic community approach developed by Synanon.  You can spin it, clean it, twist it, sugar coat it or water it down all you want, but its still the same mindraping bullshit that I went through.

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
How it Works
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2007, 04:43:42 PM »
The reason why The Who always needs the last word is because the man is a child molester. Much like rapists those who molest like power. Perhaps anyone who even bothers to engage with this repulsive man should address him by the title friendly neighbourhood paedophile. This way any new posters have a good Idea of who they are dealing with when they read his posts.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
How it Works
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2007, 04:48:27 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
The reason why The Who always needs the last word is because the man is a child molester. Much like rapists those who molest like power. Perhaps anyone who even bothers to engage with this repulsive man should address him by the title friendly neighbourhood paedophile. This way any new posters have a good Idea of who they are dealing with when they read his posts.

Nah, its one of two reasons or a combination of both.  

1.  He's got a financial investment in ASR.  With all his interest in Aspen Ed and HLA, there's something there.

2.  He's got to protect the cocoon of fantasy that he's built up about what he did to his own kid.  That's a bitter pill to swallow.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
How it Works
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2007, 05:15:25 PM »

1. He's got a financial investment in ASR. With all his interest in Aspen Ed and HLA, there's something there.

2. He's got to protect the cocoon of fantasy that he's built up about what he did to his own kid. That's a bitter pill to swallow.

Well, you asked earlier about my daughter and I can tell you she is doing very well.  She has grown into an intelligent young lady who speaks her mind and chooses her own direction in life.  

If you look at our past posts it would seem your posts are the ones that are bitter not mine.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
How it Works
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2007, 05:23:04 PM »

1. He's got a financial investment in ASR. With all his interest in Aspen Ed and HLA, there's something there.

2. He's got to protect the cocoon of fantasy that he's built up about what he did to his own kid. That's a bitter pill to swallow.

Well, you asked earlier about my daughter and I can tell you she is doing very well.  She has grown into an intelligent young lady who speaks her mind and chooses her own direction in life.  

If you look at our past posts it would seem your posts are the ones that are bitter not mine.

I'm bitter about what happened to me and that it continues.  You're not bitter, YET, because that would require you to realize what you've done.  You don't.  Yet.

I think one of the reasons I have a hard time dealing with you is that you and your mindset remind me much of my father.  And that's not a compliment.  Pretty much everyone agrees that Straight was horrible.  Even you.  But not Daddy.  At least not until about 5 or 6 years ago.  He lived for 15 years or more swearing that Straight was great and it 'saved my life'.  He went around telling everyone he could about this great place for teens and how they could really get the help they needed because Straight was different.  These kids need control.  Their brains need a good washing.  

Yeah, I"m paraphrasing but that's essentially what you say.  Sounds astonishingly like my father and Straight.  Now, try and tell me again how they're so, so different.  :roll:

Therapy cannot be forced or coerced.  

See ya in about 10 years or so.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
How it Works
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2007, 05:35:22 PM »
Apparently you have not been reading... thats far from what I say, you are stretching for a comparison.

Therapy cannot be forced, I agree... I dont believe in brain washing...I dont believe TBS's are good for all kids...my daughter has been out for many years now and doing fine.  I know parents who had kids graduate several years before her who are doing well.

Many kids from straight did not do well, the place closed and kids rally...none of this occurs around ASR and the likes because they are different.

Where you allowed to go into town and see a movie?  Go canoeing?  Use the phone unmonitored?  Healthy food choices?  watch TV?  Did you get a good education?  Feel good about yourself again?  See a licensed therapist?  Did the counselors treat you well?  Where you able to swim or go cross country skiing?  Did you make good friends there?  did you learn healthy habits?............

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
How it Works
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2007, 05:43:47 PM »
Apparently you have not been reading... thats far from what I say, you are stretching for a comparison.

Not really.

Therapy cannot be forced, I agree... I dont believe in brain washing...

Forced OR coerced.  ASR uses the same behavior modification techniques that Straight used.  THAT is brainwashing.

I dont believe TBS's are good for all kids...my daughter has been out for many years now and doing fine.  I know parents who had kids graduate several years before her who are doing well.

How has your relationship been since she's gotten out?  For once in your time here, give me an honest answer.

Many kids from straight did not do well, the place closed and kids rally...none of this occurs around ASR and the likes because they are different.

It took a damn long time for people to hear us.  Cops took us back if we ran.  Judges ordered us to it.  Hell, Nancy Reagan brought Princess Di to see all the good little Straightlings.  That's why these places continue to exist.  

Where you allowed to go into town and see a movie?  Go canoeing?  Use the phone unmonitored?  Healthy food choices?  watch TV?

Yep, after I 'earned' it and it could be taken away (and very often was) at the drop of a hat or whim of a staff member having a bad day or another inmate trying to score points or my parents getting nervous or if I fell asleep during school or if I spoke to a member of the opposite sex or if I called my cousin who hadn't been 'checked out' by Straight yet or if I took my eyes off my newcomer for a split second or if I didn't 'look right'.

Did you get a good education?  Feel good about yourself again?  See a licensed therapist?  Did the counselors treat you well?  Where you able to swim or go cross country skiing?  Did you make good friends there?  did you learn healthy habits?............

I'm not understanding your point here.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
How it Works
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2007, 05:58:21 PM »
Forced OR coerced. ASR uses the same behavior modification techniques that Straight used. THAT is brainwashing.

No forced or coerced.  She had a therapist that reported back to her therapist at home.  It really worked out well
How has your relationship been since she's gotten out? For once in your time here, give me an honest answer.

I believe I  have always been consistent with my answer.  Our relationship has been very good, we communicate much better with each other, spend as much time with each other as we can, weekends mostly.
It took a damn long time for people to hear us. Cops took us back if we ran. Judges ordered us to it. Hell, Nancy Reagan brought Princess Di to see all the good little Straightlings. That's why these places continue to exist.

If you run at ASR, there are no fences and a counselor will walk along side you to keep you safe, no restraints or holding.  If you run again you get kicked out just like any other school.  I imagine the police would call the parents or bring them back to the school if they are underage, I don’t remember that occurring.

I'm not understanding your point here.

My point was that from what I read about others experiences, ASR was very different from those other schools, the kids are more engaged and had more freedoms, allowed to talk to each other, have fun, grow and thrive.
Many people here describe situations much different than that at the places they attended.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
How it Works
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2007, 06:09:32 PM »
No forced or coerced.  She had a therapist that reported back to her therapist at home.  It really worked out well

So it was completely, 100% her idea and choice to go and stay there?  

I believe I  have always been consistent with my answer.  Our relationship has been very good, we communicate much better with each other, spend as much time with each other as we can, weekends mostly.

That really tells me nothing.

My point was that from what I read about others experiences, ASR was very different from those other schools, the kids are more engaged and had more freedoms, allowed to talk to each other, have fun, grow and thrive.
Many people here describe situations much different than that at the places they attended.

Not really.  Its just easier for you to believe that.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
How it Works
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2007, 06:25:05 PM »
So it was completely, 100% her idea and choice to go and stay there?

It took her awhile to buy into it and get use to her new therapist.  She didn’t want to be there at first but saw that it was working for her, she was taken off some of her meds, which she liked.  Like I said she had an advocate on the outside (her therapist at home) who was kept in contact also.
She met new friends who she still stays in contact with etc.

That really tells me nothing.
Sorry, not sure what to say…we go to dinner, share laughs about the past and about what is going on in our lives..etc.

Not really. Its just easier for you to believe that.

No its not just what I believe…read some of the post here and tell me how many kids say they had fun or talk about movie night or trips into town..they don’t….thats what I mean by ASR was/is different.  Of course there will be kids who didn’t do as well, hell we had kids in my highschool that wanted to burn it down with the teachers in it, so I understand that not every situation is healthy for everyone or works for everyone.  That’s why they have individualized plans for each child.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
How it Works
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2007, 06:31:32 PM »

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
How it Works
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2007, 06:33:17 PM »

It took her awhile to buy into it

THAT is coercion.

Sorry, not sure what to say…we go to dinner, share laughs about the past and about what is going on in our lives..etc.

Didn't you say there was a time period that she wouldn't speak to you after getting out?  I can't swear to it, but I thought you posted about that.

No its not just what I believe…read some of the post here and tell me how many kids say they had fun or talk about movie night or trips into town..they don’t….thats what I mean by ASR was/is different.

Then YOU are the one who hasn't been reading.  Its not really different at all.  Especially given the fact that they use the therapeutic community approach that comes from Synanon.

Of course there will be kids who didn’t do as well, hell we had kids in my highschool that wanted to burn it down with the teachers in it, so I understand that not every situation is healthy for everyone or works for everyone.  That’s why they have individualized plans for each child.

Well, they like to say that and some may actually believe that but its not really true.  You think you have an understanding because you have a child who went through, but you don't.  My parents have no clue what really went on behind closed doors.  For years they deluded themselves into thinking that they did, that it was what they 'had to do', that it really did 'save my life'.  They found out differently once they removed the 'rose colored glasses'.

::roflmao::  ::roflmao::

I've always wanted to turn it around and use one of their stupid cliches against them. (Not necessarily you Who.  Programs in general)