Author Topic: YouTube: 'Hyde School Campus Tour'  (Read 5566 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
YouTube: 'Hyde School Campus Tour'
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2007, 07:03:07 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
The thing that I find disturbing is that after all these years it seems to be the same shit, same shovel, same lack of self examination same lack of honesty.  What was it that Jesus said "if you are dishonest in small things, you will be dishonest in the large?"

Hey, Bible guy, wasn't it Ezekiel who said snow is like sin? Analyze that.

I have read parts of Ezekiel.  I don't remember that quote.  Ezekiel , I think the first chapter is the base for one of my favorite Garcia Hunter songs:

The wheel is turning
and you can't slow down
You can't let go
and you can't hold on
You can't go back
and you can't stand still
If the thunder don't get you
then the lightning will

Won't you try just a little bit harder?
Couldn't you try just a little bit more?

Round round robin run around
Gotta get back where you belong
Little bit harder, just a little bit more
Little bit farther than you than you've gone before

The wheel is turning
and you can't slow down
You can't let go
and you can't hold on
You can't go back
then the lightning will

Small wheel turn by the fire and rod
Big wheel turn by the grace of God
Everytime that wheel turn round
bound to cover just a little more ground

The wheel is turning
and you can't slow down
You can't let go
and you can't hold on
You can't go back
then the lightning will

Won't you try just a little bit harder

http://arts.ucsc.edu/GDEAD/AGDL/wheel.html

Which also makes vague references to the karmic wheel,  so is like my Christian Faith: Universalism or as the byrds put it "Jesus is just all right with me"  one God with many faces, misunderstood in a as many ways as there are people that seek him.
peoplehttp://lyricsplayground.com/alpha ... ight.shtml

You got chapter and verse I will pursue it.  I am not a bible scholar.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: I hope no one rats this kid out
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2007, 07:16:06 AM »
Quote from: ""reallydiff""
BTW folks, this is completely cute and innocent "tour" with absolutely nothing untoward or negative about this school in here.  I hope no one gets in trouble for it.  Seems benign.

No there is nothing overtly negative.  There are a couple  of subtle jabs that would be typical of rye New England  humor.   I am guessing this is summer school and I am guessing he did not go back.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2007, 07:35:06 AM »
Quote from: ""Oz girl""
What struck me about those dorms was the silent sterility. There was no noise and except for the lame graffiti wall no sign that teenagers lived there.  no posters on the walls or sporting gear lying around. No signs at all of any horseplay. Creepy

Lame graffiti:  "Hyde School" on one wall, and what was it -- "New Dorm" on the other?  I guess they figure that by allowing those words, that should suffice as enough of an outlet for kids' creative destructive instincts to be vented...  I think it may well have been some group project, well-controlled and channeled by the school.  Kind of oxymoronic when you think of what Graffiti is all about.  

I wonder when they started to allow anything to be painted on those walls; I remember them being plain plain plain.  Kind of beige in color.  Just like they still are now, save the splashes of so-called "self-expression" in the lounge.  If we wanted to put anything on the walls, like a poster, or a photo, we were required to buy that squishy white stuff from the bookstore and use that to mount them... they were SO worried 'bout any potential damage to the walls.  And they would inspect them, to make sure that you were playing by the rules.  When was room inspection, 6:45 AM or so?  I can't remember.  To this day, I am the worst ever at making my bed, let alone making it to those standards, ha ha.  What am I saying, let alone making it at all, ha ha ha!!  That squishy white stuff left oil stains on a couple of my photos, as I recall.

But the curtains, whoa!  I don't remember curtains there, I thought those weren't allowed... those windows were always so cold, even in summer.  That area is shadowed by the large deck for the faculty family above, so sun never came very near those windows...
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2007, 07:43:48 AM »
...that would be typical of rye New England humor

Speaking of WRY New England humor, would that be on pumpernickel, plain, or seeded?   ;)

I'm not so sure about the summer school bit. The woman who approached him during the Campus Tour clip mentioned her nephew, who came back this year, and who wasn't too happy about it but who was, more or less, resigned to it according to his aunt. But I'm pretty sure about the not going back. This "collection" is a kind of last testament, so to speak.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
YouTube: 'Hyde Dorm Room'
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2007, 09:44:01 AM »
Okay, here's another one. I think he shot all these the same day, maybe over the course of 2 days. But he is definitely on his way out, and happy to be doing so.

I have to say, this fellow definitely has a flair for dialogue. Nice build up.

(camera slow pan)
So... um...
This is my dorm...
This is my bed...
My desk...
Roommate's desk...
My crap...
His crap...
His bed...
His dresser...
My dresser...
Shitty-ass blue and yellow tile floors...
(actually linoleum)
Crappy brick walls... (actually painted cinderblock)
Weird-ass drop ceiling...
And a mirror!
(waves to reflection)
And... um... (pan stops on closed door of room)
(pause)
That's the door to hell.
We don't go through there.
[/list]

'Hyde Dorm Room': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUenx3_D0YQ

"This is what my dorm looked like after I rearranged the furniture."

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
YouTube: 'Hyde Introduction to Roommate and Friend'
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2007, 10:08:07 AM »
Okay, last one from this guy. I hope he finds us and realizes how much we appreciate his documentary efforts.

Are camo shorts, chucks, and Grateful Dead T-Shirts off-limits for student wear during the week these days?

'Hyde Introduction to Roommate and Friend': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c1GkElhg5E

"This shows one is about my roommate, Mike Zavack, from the D.C. area. Hunter McGinty was also in the room, he's pretty cool."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2007, 10:55:50 AM »
what was that meeting at the very end of the first video (the "campus tour" one), when the music stopped?  was that a seminar or discovery group?

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2007, 02:13:25 PM »
what was that meeting at the very end of the first video (the "campus tour" one), when the music stopped?  was that a seminar or discovery group?

Looks like it.  Probably his last one.  Anybody know for sure?

Offline silentlysinging

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2007, 06:09:49 PM »
Wow, watching all of these...crazy deja vu. I remember the Mansion and everything; everything looks pretty much exactly the same as it did when I was there from '02-'03... I felt like I was back. Oh God. And the music was perfect, haha.
 :(

Quote from: ""Ursus""
Are camo shorts, chucks, and Grateful Dead T-Shirts off-limits for student wear during the week these days?

Well, Ursus, yes, because as I recall about my time,
at Hyde in general but ESPECIALLY on 2-4, getting rid of your "image" was(and still is, I'd imagine) a big deal.  You are not allowed to express yourself with clothing, or to be an individual in any way, basically. To do so is to project an "image", an image you clearly need to let go of. Of course, everyone has an image. It's part of your identity, part of your natural need to define and find yourself, especially as a teenager... But Hyde does not allow you to maintain your identity; it's seen as "off-track" in general, whether you're on 2-4 or not. And when you ARE on 2-4, at least, when I was...dress code was even crazier. No jewelery (or make-up) of any kind, no jeans, no chucks, certainly no band shirts, no dress shirts, no skirts, no clothing you feel good in, only plain sweats and plain t-shirts; you had to look like everyone else, essentially.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2007, 03:13:16 PM »
Quote from: ""silentlysinging""
Quote from: ""Ursus""

Well, Ursus, yes, because as I recall about my time,
at Hyde in general but ESPECIALLY on 2-4, getting rid of your "image" was(and still is, I'd imagine) a big deal.  You are not allowed to express yourself with clothing, or to be an individual in any way, basically. To do so is to project an "image", an image you clearly need to let go of. Of course, everyone has an image. It's part of your identity, part of your natural need to define and find yourself, especially as a teenager... But Hyde does not allow you to maintain your identity; it's seen as "off-track" in general, whether you're on 2-4 or not. And when you ARE on 2-4, at least, when I was...dress code was even crazier. No jewelery (or make-up) of any kind, no jeans, no chucks, certainly no band shirts, no dress shirts, no skirts, no clothing you feel good in, only plain sweats and plain t-shirts; you had to look like everyone else, essentially.

We did have image restrictions as well.  I guess I was/am innately kind of a boring dresser, so I don't recall running afoul of them too much myself.  Perhaps my memory fails me a bit... I am just a bit surprised that Camo shorts or Converse sneakers fall into the category of disallowed material.  They strike me as pretty tame.  

I can remember a fellow with long hair and a headband.  The headband went, and so did the hair.  I also vaguely remember a gal whose mum sent her a shirt she had sewed up herself, for the gal's birthday.  Gal wore it and caught a lot of grief for "trying to be different."

Creativity manifests itself in many ways.  Makes you kinda wonder how the kids fare who take "Art" classes there... Can creativity survive within the narrow confines of the few "allowed" avenues of expression?  What happens if you draw or paint something the school considers "too dark," or wrong subject matter, or "not within the confines of the assignment?"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: YouTube: 'Hyde School Campus Tour'
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2009, 03:15:17 PM »
Silently Singing- I was there the year before you.

I was put on 'black restriction' Apparently overuse of one color of clothing is a no-no. I remember thinking it was absurd. I hated the dress code, and thought that I might make it easier on myself by ensuring that most, if not all, of my clothing matched. My desire to spend less time picking out clothing in the morning bit me in the ass. I did get away with wearing some funky stuff and to this day I wonder why I wasn't confronted about my funky colored fuax fur winter jacket.

Sam Warnick also told me I looked like a slut because I had sheer black stockings on with a skirt. I was given 7 minutes to run back to crappy ass deck house and to change into nude colored stockings instead, or I would get a 5-30.

I hated the no makeup on 2-4 thing. I also hated not being allowed to drink anything hot on 2-4. It's MAINE and it's cold in the morning!