Author Topic: Winning The Culture War  (Read 16565 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Winning The Culture War
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2007, 01:07:02 PM »
re. Parents:
Quote from: ""Guest""
Including, volunteering to be brainwashed in parent seminars in certain programs and/or volunteer to market and even work for the program.
Compulsory at Hyde.  And if you beg out of it for "extenuating circumstances," e.g., you just had an operation earlier that day and are still recovering, your kid suffers, gets singled out as not having enough commitment, cause they obviously weren't able to convince the parent...  This happened to me when I was the kid in that scenario.

Quote from: ""Guest""
i think what we can start doing is educating parents, starting when their kids are in preschool about these institutions. bring it up at PTA meetings, etc. warn other parents about the potential danger. use the whole dateline NBC technique of using fear to spread the word. show them that these institutions are scary - show them that the institutions can do way more damage than any drug.

THIS I do.  And you wouldn't believe how much of a pariah these people think of me.  I am shunned by them!  It is so disheartening!...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Winning The Culture War
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2007, 01:09:18 PM »
Quote from: ""3xsaSeedling""
::poke::
I do enjoy watching 'the poking of TheBear'
One of these times, ::poke::  TheBear is going to turn around and take that stick ::poke:: , and ...
I'll enjoy watching that alot more   ::seg::

Hey... you talking 'bout me, 3X?   :lol:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 01:11:38 PM by Guest »

Offline 3xsaSeedling

• View Profile
Winning The Culture War
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2007, 01:10:45 PM »
ABSOLUTELY
Of all the things I\'ve ever lost, I miss my mind the most.
Wait...I found \'IT\'!!    
oh joy

"Fresh baked daily!"

Offline 3xsaSeedling

• View Profile
Winning The Culture War
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2007, 01:31:21 PM »
Quote from: ""Ursus""
One of these times, ::poke::  TheBear is going to turn around and take that stick ::poke:: , and ...

You, the cubs and all the hunny-loving, TP advertising,  ferocious carnivors so-inclined!  
And in the event 'they' aren't ALL aware:
 ::poke::  HEY BEAR:   ::poke::

:o  ooOOPPSS!

::seg::  ::roflmao::  ::roflmao::
isocannotwait

Ursus said:  THIS I do. And you wouldn't believe how much of a pariah these people think of me. I am shunned by them! It is so disheartening!...

My extended family treats me like that, and ALL I did was tell them 'stories'!!  They think I'm nuts!!
Wait...I found \'IT\'!!    
oh joy

"Fresh baked daily!"

Offline Joseph W. Gauld

• View Profile
Winning The Culture War
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2007, 01:39:50 PM »
Quote from: ""TheWho""
Boycott or shunning wont work IMO.  You need to try to get involved on a personal level and try to help instead of getting into someones face.  When my daughter attend ASR there were people who disapproved of our decision and some were outspoken and wanted to know what circumstanced and actions we took prior the decision etc.  But they see now that it was a good one, she is doing well and has moved on with her life.  Some of the people who questioned our decision have children who are not doing that great, one of which is in prison, another who is so heavily into drugs it seems to have taken over his life, cant keep a job or an apartment.  But there are kids that made it thru, don’t get me wrong.  It’s a tough call…….

My point is that we cant go around telling other people how to raise their kids or when to seek outside help and boycotting them because they don’t do what we think is right.

I have a neighbor whose child would greatly benefit from outside help, local therapist maybe, but she will not hear any of it.  I think a little advice is good, maybe information in the mail.  But I don’t think writing Graffiti all over her house or shunning her would benefit her or her daughter.

Now now, Who... These people here don't understand you like I do.  I know exactly what you mean by "deadinsaneinjailorLibertarian!"  Too bad you didn't send yer daughter to Hyde, I mighta even done the honors myself, if ya know what I mean, heh heh heh!!

But I disagree wit ya about telling parents how to raise their children.  See, we at Hyde School are professionals at this sort of thing, and know better about how to bring up lil Jimmer Junior from the cocoon of adolescence into the butterfly of adulthood.

Enthusiastic about Programmie Parents,
Joseph W. Gau!d, The Educator

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Winning The Culture War
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2007, 01:45:35 PM »

You, the cubs and all the hunny-loving, TP advertising,  ferocious carnivors so-inclined!  
And in the event 'they' aren't ALL aware:
 ::poke::  HEY BEAR:   ::poke::

:o  ooOOPPSS!

::seg::  ::roflmao::  ::roflmao::
isocannotwait

Ursus said:  THIS I do. And you wouldn't believe how much of a pariah these people think of me. I am shunned by them! It is so disheartening!...

My extended family treats me like that, and ALL I did was tell them 'stories'!!  They think I'm nuts!!

Do people really think I advertise toilet paper? ::huh::  ::huh::  ::huh::

Offline 3xsaSeedling

• View Profile
Winning The Culture War
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2007, 01:46:41 PM »
Father Lohan

Fornits Home for Wayward Web Fora Forum Index -> Teen Challenge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Familiar Face

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:47 am    Post subject: Father Lohan  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you see Larry King Interview with Lindsay Lohan's dad (who just got out of jail in March) praising Teen Challenge-- in which he is now an employee? He is hoping he can "get Lindsay to go"... "its not just for teens."

:flame: THIS is exactly what I'm talking about.  :flame:  [/u]
Wait...I found \'IT\'!!    
oh joy

"Fresh baked daily!"

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Winning The Culture War
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2007, 01:51:25 PM »
Did you see Larry King Interview with Lindsay Lohan's dad (who just got out of jail in March) praising Teen Challenge-- in which he is now an employee? He is hoping he can "get Lindsay to go"... "its not just for teens."
       :flame: THIS is exactly what I'm talking about.  :flame:  

And this pertains to toilet paper, or me, how?  Just curious, as I seem to be missing something here...

Offline 3xsaSeedling

• View Profile
Winning The Culture War
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2007, 01:53:40 PM »
Do people really think I advertise toilet paper? ::huh::  ::huh::  ::huh::

ALL things being equal?  I think not you personally!! :wink:  :wink:
Wait...I found \'IT\'!!    
oh joy

"Fresh baked daily!"

Offline 3xsaSeedling

• View Profile
Winning The Culture War
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2007, 01:56:19 PM »
       :flame: THIS is exactly what I'm talking about.  :flame:  

And this pertains to toilet paper, or me, how?  Just curious, as I seem to be missing something here...

I was reading elsewhere...you didn't miss anything.  Doesn't relate to TP; not directly anyhow.
I'm really slow w/the typing, sooo....
Wait...I found \'IT\'!!    
oh joy

"Fresh baked daily!"

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
Re: Winning The Culture War
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2007, 02:01:02 PM »
Quote from: ""Wandering Waygookin""
I have zero faith in the ability of legislature in the area of passing effective regulations against TBS programmes. I've seen their ability to change to meet the new circumstances first hand. Congress will put on a big song and dance whilst programmes snigger and make a few superficial changes.
Yup.  That's the way I think it will go as well, though I doubt congress will make much of a song and dance at all.  I'm hoping for the media to take an interest but doubt they will... Well.  Who knows.
My thoughts on this calls for a long term war against the very roots of the problems. Or at least the part of the problem I believe that can be addressed in the area of the incredible ignorance that exists in our population to this very day. This is despite the fact that numerous websites, forums, books, and now movies exist.
Ignorance exists on a wide variety of subjects, not just the TTI.  
Time and persistence will help reduce this ignorance in our society. Thoughts ideas and suggestions are being called for to address this matter. I've already started on a writing project of my own, put on hold due to my current vacation, but it will be finished.

IDEas biatches..

and not just Oh lets let Maia deal with it.

come on people.. takes an entire damn army not just one soldier.

Well.  Here are some things you can do:

- Talk to people about the issue.  You don't have to tell them you were in a program, but if the opportunity arises, why not let people know this industry exists.  Keep some URLs bookmarked and handy so when they go "you just made that up" you can point them to the source.

- Burn DVDs of movies pertaining to the industry.  If you can get source material on your own, just tell me what you're looking for and i'll point you to a DVD image you can burn.  Once the DVDs are burned (you can get a stack of 100 for around 20$ usually) put them in paper cd envelopes (or jewel cases if you really want) and tape them to newspapers (Sunday paper is probably best).  include links to a few websites (eg: fornits.com isaccorp.org teenadvocatesusa.org etc...)

- If you're a college student, try doing one of your class projects on the troubled teen industry (if you feel up to it).  Again, you don't have to mention you were in a program if you don't want to.

- If you use a publicly available computer, leave articles and good links on the screen when you leave the computer (something that will get people's attention). (example)

- Print out articles and leave them on the bus / metro / doctor's office (anywhere with lots of bored people who have nothing else to read).  It's probably best not to openly leaflet in the metro system, but rememeber, you can always get off at the next stop, change trains, go around in circles, and leave from where you came (costing nothing on most metro systems).  Just "drop" a few copies of the articles on each train.  When getting off the train, say something like "hmm...  interesting article" and leave it on the seat.  Most likely, somebody within an earshot will definitely (after you leave) pick it  up and read.  Public bathrooms are also a good place to leave articles.  Boring classes, etc...

Think about it: Where do you read random stuff you just find?  When you're bored...  So think about places you are bored and put stuff there.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: Winning The Culture War
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2007, 02:10:23 PM »
Quote from: ""psy""
Well.  Here are some things you can do:

- Talk to people about the issue.  You don't have to tell them you were in a program, but if the opportunity arises, why not let people know this industry exists.  Keep some URLs bookmarked and handy so when they go "you just made that up" you can point them to the source.

- Burn DVDs of movies pertaining to the industry.  If you can get source material on your own, just tell me what you're looking for and i'll point you to a DVD image you can burn.  Once the DVDs are burned (you can get a stack of 100 for around 20$ usually) put them in paper cd envelopes (or jewel cases if you really want) and tape them to newspapers (Sunday paper is probably best).  include links to a few websites (eg: fornits.com isaccorp.org teenadvocatesusa.org etc...)

- If you're a college student, try doing one of your class projects on the troubled teen industry (if you feel up to it).  Again, you don't have to mention you were in a program if you don't want to.

- If you use a publicly available computer, leave articles and good links on the screen when you leave the computer (something that will get people's attention). (example)

- Print out articles and leave them on the bus / metro / doctor's office (anywhere with lots of bored people who have nothing else to read).  It's probably best not to openly leaflet in the metro system, but rememeber, you can always get off at the next stop, change trains, go around in circles, and leave from where you came (costing nothing on most metro systems).  Just "drop" a few copies of the articles on each train.  When getting off the train, say something like "hmm...  interesting article" and leave it on the seat.  Most likely, somebody within an earshot will definitely (after you leave) pick it  up and read.  Public bathrooms are also a good place to leave articles.  Boring classes, etc...

Think about it: Where do you read random stuff you just find?  When you're bored...  So think about places you are bored and put stuff there.

Great ideas, forgot about the leaving of information in trains, doctor's offices, etc.  That was one of the grassroots methods of disseminating anti-Vietnam War info in the 60s...

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
Winning The Culture War
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2007, 02:23:51 PM »
Quote from: ""Froderik""
Thank you for starting this thread, TSW. I share in you skepticism.

An idea: Aside from the positive side-effects of decriminalization, effective medication and a potential dent in alcoholism, the legalization of marijuana (and possibly other illicit substances) would make a statement of incredible gravity. Of course, it would take more than mere legislation to make this happen, but could perhaps be brought about in other ways (ask psy about this)

Right...  So the basic idea is to randomly plant seeds all over the place.  If everybody who smoked did this, enforcement of prohibition would become untenable.

Plant in the neighbor's yard, plant in front of your house, on your university, in the woods (make them hunt for these patches), in granny's flower pot, plant in the local garden center, replace the seeds in the packets... extra bonus points for creativity.

Now I know some purists are going to yell at me about screwing up their sinsimilla crops with cross-fertilization but the point is rather to force legalization by growing the stuff all over (it grows faster than most crops).

I looked on the net for instructions.  Apparantly you need to plant the seeds in April / May about 1/2 inches deep, pointy side up.  Optimally you want to soak the seeds in distilled water for about 24 hours prior to planting (don't ask me why).  Once the seeds are planted in a bit of topsoil, just add water.

If this was going to be some kind of coordinated effort, the best time to plant would probably be around April 20th of next year.  It's probably a somewhat obvious statement, but don't harvest your own bud.  The point is simply to very publicly have marijuana growing everywhere.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 03:06:00 PM by Guest »
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Winning The Culture War
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2007, 02:32:38 PM »

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
Winning The Culture War
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2007, 02:58:05 PM »
Quote from: ""psy""
Quote from: ""Froderik""
Thank you for starting this thread, TSW. I share in you skepticism.

An idea: Aside from the positive side-effects of decriminalization, effective medication and a potential dent in alcoholism, the legalization of marijuana (and possibly other illicit substances) would make a statement of incredible gravity. Of course, it would take more than mere legislation to make this happen, but could perhaps be brought about in other ways (ask psy about this)

Right...  So the basic idea is to randomly plant seeds all over the place.  If everybody who smoked did this, enforcement of prohibition would become untenable.

Plant in the neighbor's yard, plant in front of your house, on your university, in the woods (make them hunt for these patches), in granny's flower pot, plant in the local garden center, replace the seeds in the packets... extra bonus points for creativity.

Now I know some purists are going to yell at me about screwing up their sinsimilla crops with cross-fertilization but the point is rather to force legalization by growing the stuff all over (it grows faster than most crops).

I looked on the net for instructions.  Apparantly you need to plant the seeds in April / May about 1/2 inches deep.  Optimally you want to soak the seeds in distilled water for about 24 hours prior to planting (don't ask me why).  Once the seeds are planted in a bit of topsoil, just add water.

If this was going to be some kind of coordinated effort, the best time to plant would probably be around April 20th of next year.

Often farmland that has been out of production for ten years is ideal.  River and stream beds.  The absolute best place to plant is on land that is being hayed or “open spaceâ€