Author Topic: CDC reports: Suicide rates up 76% in teen girls  (Read 3342 times)

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
CDC reports: Suicide rates up 76% in teen girls
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2007, 06:44:06 PM »
Yeah that's it, blame it on the music.. :roll:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2007, 09:12:21 PM »
Of course it's more than the music.  It's the lack of self concept, the lack of a sense of the future, it's the music, the lack of regard for their own lives, and probably others as well.  It's a mistake (my apologies) to be too vague in my posting.  The entire LIFESTYLE, in my opinion ,is a contributing factors to the current increases in self injury and suicide.  I work in a school, and have so for over 15 years.  We always had the occasional suicide attempt, and almost no self injury.  For about the last 5-6 years, however, there has been an explosion in self injury and suicide attempts.  There has, unfortunately, been several suicides.  I cannot attest to what medications the children that suicided were on, but the one think that linked all of my experiences is that all of these children were dressed in the "emo" fashion, self injured, and were known to be in the "scene".  Scoff if you will, but I've seen it myself, and I'm sure that others have as well.  

As I stated in my last post.  We all had our fads.  I was a "metal head" in the 80's.  I played guitar badly), dressed in black, and had long hair.  I grew up, as I'm sure that most of us have.  The difference here, again, is that some of these "emo" kids aren't growing up, they're dying!

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2007, 09:44:28 PM »
So what (if anything) do you suggest?

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2007, 09:53:28 PM »
Quote from: ""Cultural Disaster""
Of course it's more than the music.  It's the lack of self concept, the lack of a sense of the future, it's the music, the lack of regard for their own lives, and probably others as well.  It's a mistake (my apologies) to be too vague in my posting.  The entire LIFESTYLE, in my opinion ,is a contributing factors to the current increases in self injury and suicide.  I work in a school, and have so for over 15 years.  We always had the occasional suicide attempt, and almost no self injury.  For about the last 5-6 years, however, there has been an explosion in self injury and suicide attempts.  There has, unfortunately, been several suicides.  I cannot attest to what medications the children that suicided were on, but the one think that linked all of my experiences is that all of these children were dressed in the "emo" fashion, self injured, and were known to be in the "scene".  Scoff if you will, but I've seen it myself, and I'm sure that others have as well.  

As I stated in my last post.  We all had our fads.  I was a "metal head" in the 80's.  I played guitar badly), dressed in black, and had long hair.  I grew up, as I'm sure that most of us have.  The difference here, again, is that some of these "emo" kids aren't growing up, they're dying!

What about Goths. They were pretty mopey. Loved the idea of death. Sad poems. grumpy grumpy music . None of the goths I grew up with topped themselves. Youth culture is designed to be something grown ups just don't get. This is why it creates such fear
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 09:56:54 PM by Guest »
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2007, 09:54:08 PM »
I wish my lawn was emo.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2007, 10:21:57 PM »
Several things; One is that people can start talking and become more aware of the issue.  Second is that parents should pay more attention to their children and remain involved in their lives, just don't give them meds to "act right".  Third is work with their local schools to track what trends are occurring.  Fourth; organize and take actions, like having supervised gatherings for kids, proposing dress codes for schools, and so on.  Individuals can always make decisions and take actions to help their own children, as well as others.  That's one of the purposes of this forum, as I've been able to surmise.  Can you add anything?  I'm new to this.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2007, 11:25:06 PM »
Code: [Select]
if ($target == "programmie" || $target == "complete_fucking_idiot")
{
translate($target);
}

Several things; One is that people can start gibber like frightened squirrels and thereby mong fear. Second is that parents should force their way into their children's lives and not rely on chemicals when regular old idiotic meddling works just fine. Third is conspire with their batshit teachers to freak out every time their kids say something they don't understand. Fourth; organize and take actions, like having supervised gatherings for kids to make sure that they aren't listening to that VILE DEVIL MUSIC, proposing dress codes so that they won't DARE look like someone that we don't want them to, and so on. Individuals can always make decisions and take actions to further hurt their own children, as well as force themselves on the children of others who think this is a load of bullshit. Since I'm hopelessly retarded I thought a forum like Fornits would help me in this insanity. Can you add anything? I'm really fucking new to this, and even crazier than the emos.

GTFO

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2007, 12:07:43 AM »
Cultural Disaster, You should not be working with children because you are an idiot. You have fallen into the all to predictable trap of the generation gap. That trap being to blame a pop culture fad for the impending armageddon that's sure to destroy all youth and with it the future of humanity.

Blues was the devils music, rock and roll "forced" kids to have sex and do drugs *gasp. Hip hop is the reason kids join gangs and kill each other, not that little thing called poverty. Seriously this shit just gets rehashed every generation....

But what the hell I'm preaching to a brick wall of illogical bullshit....
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2007, 02:39:48 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
I wish my lawn was emo.

:rofl:

Offline Covergaard

• View Profile
    • http://www.carstenovergaard.dk
It is a worldwide trend
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2007, 03:54:57 AM »
The numbers for Denmark are just in.

More girls tries suicide - TV2 Denmark - In Danish

A part of Denmark has on-line records going back to 1990 as a part of a study. In 1990 there were 24 tries. In 2004 there were 104.

When numbers for this area where in, they have started to look into the problem nationwide and it is the same.

I had to say that the number of women in the hospital where I visited a relative were high. There were very few males in the unit (which specializes in depression).

It is only among the teenager girls the problem exist. In the society as whole the number has lowered so the teenager boys only have half the tries that they had in 1990.

Our authories believe that teenager girls are victim of too much pressure. Opposite the male teenagers, who have learned to not care about their clothes, how much they drink and to a certain point what kind of grades they get, the girls are living in fear about not being perfect.

It is kind of scary, that this is almost the same in two countries that in many ways are very different.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2007, 04:05:00 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Anti-depressants are a placebo.

Apparently not. They either increase or decrease suicidal thoughts in teens, depending on which study you want to believe.

Here's something I saw just a few days ago. I'm not sure what to make of it, but is sure as hell surprised me:

Quoted from:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19649893/site/newsweek/

According to a new study in The Journal of American Psychiatry, the number of SSRI prescriptions for pediatric depression (ages 5 to 18) tumbled more than 50 percent between 2003 and 2005. In a troubling parallel development, the number of teen suicides jumped a record 18 percent between 2003 and 2004, the most recent year for which data exist.

Are the two trends connected? Many experts say yes. "All the data point in one direction: antidepressants save lives and untreated depression kills people," says Dr. Kelly Posner, a Columbia University child psychiatrist. She and others cite an unwitting instigator: the Food and Drug Administration—which may have scared parents and doctors away from SSRIs in 2003 when it issued a health-advisory warning of a potential link between the popular drugs and teen suicide.

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2007, 08:16:41 AM »
Several things; One is that people can start talking and become more aware of the issue.  Second is that parents should pay more attention to their children and remain involved in their lives, just don't give them meds to "act right".  Third is work with their local schools to track what trends are occurring.  Fourth; organize and take actions, like having supervised gatherings for kids, proposing dress codes for schools, and so on.  Individuals can always make decisions and take actions to help their own children, as well as others.  That's one of the purposes of this forum, as I've been able to surmise.  Can you add anything?  I'm new to this.

You were doing alright until you got to #4... I agree that parents should be involved in the lives of their kids (to a reasonable extent) and should refrain from resorting to meds to control them. I don't agree with arbitrating what they wear; that's silly. A person (kids too) should be allowed to look however they want. Now, a parent has the right to say "You look like a jackass" to them if so inclined, but it should stop there..

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2007, 09:15:42 AM »
Quote from: ""Froderik""
You were doing alright until you got to #4... I agree that parents should be involved in the lives of their kids (to a reasonable extent) and should refrain from resorting to meds to control them. I don't agree with arbitrating what they wear; that's silly. A person (kids too) should be allowed to look however they want. Now, a parent has the right to say "You look like a jackass" to them if so inclined, but it should stop there..

I dont know, Froderik, That has always been a struggle for me.  I think having a dress code takes the pressure off a lot of kids and definitely the parents.  It is a cost saver also.  Many southamerican countries provide the uniforms for the kids to wear.  The kids are able to express their individuality in other ways (i.e hair style, back pack etc.).  But if there was a question on the ballot stating that starting next year all school kids would have to wear blue pants with a white top (shirt) I would advocate against it ,adamantly, as I don’t think the government should be reaching into our homes to dictate what we should or should not wear or how we should raise our children.

So I guess its good to have the choice to send kids to a private school if you want dress codes, public if you don’t.  In the public sector the schools could vote locally to instill local codes like no hoodies, but there is that never ending struggle to define what is appropriate or not, parents suing to allow their child to attend school topless if they like.  But that is the price of democracy I guess.

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2007, 09:32:25 AM »
Australia as a commonwealth country with a british hangover has a long standing tradition of school uniforms. Many like them because of this idea that they take the pressure off in terms of clothing. This is true. The idea however that they get rid of elitism though is hilarious as anyone can tell a public school uniform from its private eq from a million miles. Kids immediately register it. They are afterall young not retarded. Kids also do their best to find small ways to overcome the uniform rules.

To think that they can help in overcoming wider spread social problems is also somewhat naive. Given that the US appears to really like the rhetoric of individual liberty and individual rights and it seems traditionally avoided uniforms because of this I cant see uniforms helping any kid. it is just a way of controlling them and setting a double standard. if suicide is really growing at such a concerning rate then why not seriously look at the wider social factors behind it instead of trivial solutions which seek to merely control kids.
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2007, 11:26:45 PM »
Quote from: ""Deborah""
Fassler testified at FDA hearings on antidepressants during 2003 and 2004 and urged caution about implementing black box warnings. The agency ordered the warnings in October 2004 and they began to appear on drug labels about six months later.

[Let's see, that would be April 2005. Hummm. How could those black box warnings in April '05 have effected a decrease in prescriptions and consequently, an increase in suicides in '04? Makes one wonder, doesn't it?]

http://www.bestsyndication.com/?q=09200 ... atment.htm
Pharma Hand Seen Behind Alarmist Suicide Statistics
Submitted by Martha Rosenberg on September 19, 2007 - 3:37pm.

Long before the New York Times reported this month that youth suicides were up 8% from 2003 to 2004 and experts blamed an "antidepressant deficiency" big pharma was trying to plant the story.

There's too much money in diagnosing children with major psychiatric illnesses and keeping them on psychotropic drugs their whole lives to let a little thing like the black box warnings the FDA imposed on antidepressants for children in 2004 ruin sales.

After all this is a nation that believes that children are born with a Ritalin deficiency, insomnia is Ambien deficiency and old age is hormone deficiency. Why shouldn't pharmacology trump biology with suicide statistics as well?

Last year an article in the June issue of PLoS Medicine set the stage.

Lead author Dr. Julio Licinio, a consultant to Prozac-maker Eli Lilly, found the U.S. suicide rate "dropped steadily over 14 years as sales of the antidepressant [Prozac] rose."

It was followed by an article in April in the Archives of General Psychiatry by four representatives of a private "drug development services" company called Quintiles Transnational and four other authors expressing concerns that "the number of children and teenagers who were prescribed antidepressants has decreased significantly" underlining "the importance of presenting a fair balance within the media." ("Impact of Publicity Concerning Pediatric Suicidality Data on Physician Practice Patterns in the United States")

And in February a MedPage Today article actually scooped the New York Times with the headline, "Teen Suicide Spike Linked to SSRI Black Box."

Black box warnings create a barrier to treatment "by scaring young people and parents away from care," said David Shern, Ph.D., president of Mental Health America, reported to have accepted $3.8 million from pharmaceutical companies in 2005, in a statement when the article broke.

Charles Nemeroff, M.D., Ph.D., of Emory University School of Medicine took it a step further.

"The concerns about antidepressant use in children and adolescents have paradoxically resulted in a reduction in their use, and this has contributed to increased suicide rates," he told reporters. Dr. Nemeroff has links to Eli Lilly, Pfizer, Wyeth-Ayerst, Pharmacia-Upjohn and five other drug makers according to published reports.

Unfortunately for pharma, when the New York Times broke the story it had a short shelf life.

The rise in suicides among ages 10 to 24 in 2003 to 2004 stood. But the charge that the rise was due to a drop-off in antidepressant prescriptions, especially selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) like Prozac, which came from an article in the September American Journal of Psychiatry, promptly fell on its head.

It turned out the drop in SSRI prescriptions that "caused" the suicide rise occurred the following year. In most of the year cited, SSRI prescriptions actually "rose an average of just over 10 percent" for those 18 and under according to Psychiatric News and "the number of prescriptions peaked in March 2004."

Meanwhile preliminary Centers for Disease Control and Prevention statistics from the year that would have been influenced by a drop in SSRI prescription that occurred--2005--do not show deaths up, though they have not been broken into category.

Asked about the 180% turnaround in facts which meant the suicide rise was not caused by SSRI prescription drop-offs and possibly caused by SSRIs themselves, vindicating the FDA's black boxes, the article's lead author Robert D. Gibbons, Ph.D., a professor of biostatistics and psychiatry at the University of Illinois at Chicago, did not sound the statistician.

"This study was suggestive, that's what we're saying," Dr. Gibbons told the Times in a follow-up story--"Early Evidence on the Effects of Regulators' Suicidality Warnings on SSRI Prescriptions and Suicide in Children and Adolescents" is suggestive? try conclusive--and should piggyback off previous studies that showed the links. better.

Then why publish it?

There were other question marks about the American Journal of Psychiatry article too--not counting Pfizer's financial contribution and Dr. Gibbons link to Wyeth Pharmaceuticals.

What if the suicides aren't about SSRIs at all but the growing popularity of treating children with antipsychotic drugs?

"I would be absolutely certain that the increase is not because kids are not being treated," says David Healy, M.D., a psychiatrist at the University of Cardiff and early critic of SSRIs. "They may not be getting SSRIs, but they are getting psychotropics," he says and, "the antipsychotic 'mood stabilizers' have just as great an increase in suicide risk as antidepressants-- if not greater."

Pharma is probably working on a new round of articles on the topic right now.

See what others are saying and join the discussion at our Forum

Martha Rosenberg is a nationally known columnist who frequently writes about health care.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700