Author Topic: Identity Misappropriation--Ginger, Help!  (Read 2582 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Identity Misappropriation--Ginger, Help!
« on: September 17, 2007, 03:47:47 PM »
Ginger, there is a guy posting with the screen name "Johnny Ringo." He apparently supports Programs, but it really doesn't matter what his position is.

His screen name is close enough to be confused with John Ringo, my co-author, who that guy definitely is not. The real John Ringo hates the programs for the same reason I do. He's not vocal about the industry, but he absolutely wouldn't want anybody to mistake him for a Program supporter.

Our friend who got shipped to ASR for no reason other than that her mom and stepdad were loopy is a mutual friend.

He would definitely not want to be associated with those ideas.

Since I use my real name here, people could easily believe that this "Johnny Ringo" is really John.

Our readers take personal liberty extremely seriously, and would be mortally offended by those positions. Not good.

Please help.

Julie Cochrane
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline seamus

• View Profile
johnny ringo?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 05:19:15 PM »
was also a mentally ill cowboy who was involved in the murder of wyatt earp's brother ,its believed he commited suicide his real name was john ringgold. sorry, i just love history.
It\'d be sad if it wernt so funny,It\'d be funny if it wernt so sad

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 10:36:02 PM »
Do you really think the band The Who would approve of the way their name is being used here?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 04:04:54 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Do you really think the band The Who would approve of the way their name is being used here?

There's no risk of someone thinking the guy is actually in the band The Who.

In this case, there is significant risk of readers confusing the user going by "Johnny Ringo" with the real John Ringo.

Yes, one of John's ancestors was a gunfighter and shared the same name. Still, for the reasons I stated, there is a risk of identity confusion here.

That wouldn't be an issue if John were in any way involved in the Troubled Teen Industry as a Program employee, owner, staff, ed con, advocate on either side, or otherwise had anything to do with the industry.

My presence here as his co-author, under my real name, is enough to make readers think this person is really him.

An alternate way to avoid confusion is if anything I ever wrote on Fornits anywhere gets removed and I don't come back. That's not to storm off in a huff, that's just the only other way I can see of disassociating John from Fornits--is to disassociate myself as well.

I've gotten some good information here over the past few years, and I hate to have to leave, but advocacy is advocacy, and business is business.

Ginger, if you don't think you can ethically change that guy's moniker, if you could find some way of yanking my stuff I'd appreciate it. I know that's harder because I didn't use a log on and may not be possible, but please let me know what you choose to do.

I can't leave a situation where someone I work closely with gets tarred with some pretty horrible opinions, when he doesn't ever come here or have anything to do with here, just on account of my occasionally showing up.

I don't expect anybody to miss me--I'm not here enough, and I'm not that vain. I just need to know what I need to do.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 04:15:52 PM »
I suggest you PM Johnny Ringo and work something out. He could change his username or add a note something like "I'm not a sci fi writer" or "Me != John Ringo" to his signature. Either way, it's up to him.
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 05:52:52 PM »
Quote from: ""Scarlett Chiclet""
I suggest you PM Johnny Ringo and work something out. He could change his username or add a note something like "I'm not a sci fi writer" or "Me != John Ringo" to his signature. Either way, it's up to him.

Program advocates are not known for being reasonable.

And my having complained will attract more gadflies.

I was afraid that was going to be what you thought, but I like Fornits so I asked. The only thing that creates the potential for someone mistakenly thinking that's John is me being here, so I've just got to go. It may be a small risk, but it really does bite my butt, so....

No hard feelings, like I said, I'm not vain enough to think I'm making a grand exit. I just have to exit. I'll miss you.

Julie

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 07:09:21 PM »
Nobody's making you sign your posts, you know.

Welcome to Anonymous.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 07:44:17 PM »
Sounds like the board is better off is a simple thing like this bothers ya.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 09:44:33 PM »
Julie wrote:

You have got to be kidding me, Julie!!!    Close your laptop, take a few days to yourself and then come back and decide if the name Johnny, John Ringo is really that important and if anyone will ever make the connection.  

Ringo was a common name in Spaghetti westerns : "Ringo the lone rider, The Ringo kid, Jimmy Ringo, Johnny Ringo with Lee Van Cleef (excellent), The Ringo kid (with John Wayne) .

I dont think your friend will be insulted....talk to your friend before you bail out... sign in names can take on many meanings, you are putting Ginger in an unfair position and you have been here a long time not to care.... stick around.

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 11:16:17 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Quote from: ""Scarlett Chiclet""

And my having complained will attract more gadflies.

I was afraid that was going to be what you thought, but I like Fornits so I asked. The only thing that creates the potential for someone mistakenly thinking that's John is me being here, so I've just got to go. It may be a small risk, but it really does bite my butt, so....

No hard feelings, like I said, I'm not vain enough to think I'm making a grand exit. I just have to exit. I'll miss you.

Julie

You have forced me to do something I really did not want to do Julie, but you leave me no choice!!!

Please!!!!! Don't leave!!!! I beg you, you're post are always so intelligent and informative. It's your choice but think about the kids....   :cry2:
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2007, 05:40:52 AM »
You know the wierd thing here is I've read almost all of John Ringo's books at least twice and didn't think to connect Johnny Ringo the programme shill with John Ringo the Author.

Interesting connection being made here and one I'd never have thought about making had the OP brought it up in the first place.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2007, 04:07:16 PM »
I second TSW's sentiment... Believe it or not, most people who call themselves "John" do not call themselves "Johnny," at least publicly.  I am sure that there is someone out there reading this who will serve up proof of the exception, but -- at least in my part of the world -- this is a generally true rule of thumb.

Johnny Ringo usually posts mostly in HLA; recently I did see his name as the the most recent poster on some other forum on the Index... perhaps that is when you became aware of his existence?  He has been posting here on an infrequent basis for some time now.

I wouldn't worry too much about potential confusion.  If people truly do confuse the two, I am sure they will ask, and you can set them straight...

Alternatively, you could take on a different user name, all the while having your real name remain commonly known.  This way you could cover all your bases.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2007, 06:35:04 PM »
Bloody well right.  ::drummer::