Author Topic: Another One Bites The Dust: Ashby Academy  (Read 3162 times)

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
Another One Bites The Dust: Ashby Academy
« on: September 05, 2007, 11:33:19 PM »
http://www.telegram.com/article/20070902/NEWS/709020485
Sunday, September 2, 2007  
School abruptly closes
Families left in quandary
By Matthew Bruun TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF

Ashby Academy, on a 70-acre campus on Spring Hill Road in Ashby, was closed yesterday as parents and staff were told Friday that the private boarding school for learning-disabled children would not open as planned. Families from as far as Texas and California who paid annual tuition of $66,000 were told it was not clear they would get any of their tuition money refunded. Below is the school's Mayflower Hall, where students had resided and classes were taught. (Photos / MATTHEW BRUUN)

ASHBY— Several families are out tens of thousands of dollars and have no place to send their learning-disabled children after the abrupt closure of the private Ashby Academy.

The boarding school charges an annual tuition of $66,000.

“I don’t really have any comment,â€
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 11:37:23 PM »
September 03, 2007

Regrettably, Michael and Lynn Beavers, the owners of Ashby Academy have announced that the school has closed its doors effective August 31, 2007. A less than expected enrollment for the fall of 2007 made it financially impossible for the organization to move forward. This occurred while the students were home on a scheduled vacation break.

The staff members have all been released, but former head of school Alfred Allen remains at the Academy tying up loose ends.

The shocked parents, in an outpouring of support and compassion have publicly acknowledged their respect and gratitude to the staff, administration and program. Several have expressed an interest in creating a transition fund to assist staff members who were displaced by the closing.

To date, about a quarter of the students have been placed in other schools, and referrals have been made for several more.

~Comments~

September 05, 2007

I too am quite saddened, though not totally surprised, to hear of the abrupt closing of Ashby. Ashby was a program carefully crafted to fill an important service gap for younger boys with an NLD or AS profile who need therapeutic as well as educational supports but were still relatively vulnerable and naiive compared to their higher risk peers.

Unfortunately, the quality and effectiveness of any private school or residential therapeutic program is not necessarily indicative of its financial stability, nor vice-versa.

As consultants, we must always remember that not only are private programs subject to financial/business realities, but private programs with a third-party "patron", silent partner or corporate backer are far more vulnerable than others. A further risk factor is that the very qualities that define many excellent educators and helping professionals make for poor business people so it is best to keep these roles separate and apart.

I formally advise my clients never to pay upfront in full, unless they can absolutely afford to walk away from the money and still fund another placement the same year if needed. My advice is that families stretch their payments over the maximum pay period, and consider the extra charge if any for so doing, a sort of "tuition insurance". Of course, if a school offers a tuition insurance plan (useful for midyear expulsions and sometimes withdrawals without refund as well), this is always the preferred route, especially for high risk learners.

The saddest part of all this is that even for those families who do locate and manage to afford another program this year, winning the hearts, minds and trust of these boys (and their folks) all over again will be a painful process.

Janyce Lastman LL.B.
Education Consultant, Case Manager
Toronto Canada
[email protected]

:rofl:  :rofl:
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 02:02:15 AM »
What a complete flood of bullshit.

Reading between the lines, though, I can tell that he's probably going to get away with it. I approve of this, and hope that other program owners follow suit.

That's right, program owners, this Anonymous is rooting for you! There's no future in child abuse- the GAO, Fornits readers, a growing army of horrified public, and everyone in between will see to that- and most of you have enough to retire. Fuck it! Just take the money and run!

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 03:35:55 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""

Reading between the lines, though, I can tell that he's probably going to get away with it. I approve of this, and hope that other program owners follow suit.

That's right, program owners, this Anonymous is rooting for you! There's no future in child abuse- the GAO, Fornits readers, a growing army of horrified public, and everyone in between will see to that- and most of you have enough to retire. Fuck it! Just take the money and run!

Abuse, abuse is posted everywhere on fornits.  You guys almost had me convinced that these boarding schools are abusive and bad for kids.  Can someone point out where the abuse to kids occured?  I read the above posts several times and I just dont see it.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 03:51:22 PM »
If a program is willing to commit fraud it stands to reason even with a lack of direct evidence from that article, that when you put kids with different emotional, behavioral, and learning disabilities together, the "school's" methods for dealing with those children are going to be far from therapeutic, and likely abusive.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 04:11:51 PM »
Actually, it appears that they did try to narrow their focus on Learning Disorders and Aspergers's.  But they were a member of NATSAP.

http://www.ashbyacademy.com/
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 04:18:02 PM »
http://www.strugglingteens.com/artman/p ... 5380.shtml

Posted: Sep 22, 2006
14:41

Ashby, Massachusetts
Dr. Alfred Allen, Head of School
877-386-0055
www.ashbyacademy.com

Visit Report by: Nancy Masland, EdS, IECA, July 2006

Ashby Academy is a newly opened school for the clinically or behaviorally challenged boy with an average or slightly below average IQ. The school accepts boys, age 10-14, with language-based and non-verbal learning disabilities. Ashby accepts students with ADD/ADHD, Anxiety Disorders, Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Motor Tic Disorders, Dysthymic Disorder, Mild to Moderate Depression, or Asperger's Syndrome. The school will also work with students exhibiting a psychosis or bi-polar disorder, if controlled by medication, and the student is not a danger to himself or others. Ashby is not appropriate for the physically challenged, thought disordered, fire setting, physically aggressive or sexually acting out boy.

Owners, Michael Beavers and Dr. Alfred Allen (founder of the Hunter School and Granite Hill School), pointed out that Ashby is a therapeutic middle school that emphasizes academics, but it is not a program. The goal of Ashby Academy is to develop a safe, nurturing environment where the boys will learn personal responsibility and social skills. Ashby offers a wide range of therapeutic components including individual psychotherapy, speech and language therapy, occupational therapy, physical therapy and group therapy that will cover topics such as divorce, grief and loss, anger management, etc.

The school provides each boy with individual attention and a tight structure that includes an unlocked crisis unit, and a 'planning room' where the staff work with the boys to strategize causes and solutions for any current problems. One example of this strategizing includes filling out a form that asks a variety of self-examining questions such as, "What did I do? How was I feeling? What rule did I break? For whom did I create a problem? What did I want to happen? What did happen? If this happens again, what will I do differently?" Ashby uses a positive intervention model rather than a traditional point-level-privilege system.

Ashby is located on the former campus of the Shackelton School with over 70 acres of woods, streams, hills and gardens. IEP/ITP testing in the Carnegie Unit measures each boy's academic, clinical, and social/emotional goals. When necessary, an Orton-Gillingham teacher is available to the students. Mayflower Hall, the central building, is a functional, state-of-the-art facility for the dorms and school.

The parent/family program is developing and will frequently communicate with families and consultants. The school is currently working toward obtaining accreditation from NEASC and JCAHO. Although there were no students attending the school at the time of my visit, the plans and format have proven to be sound in other schools.

About the Author:
Nancy P. Masland, EdS, is an Educational Consultant and founder of Nancy P. Masland & Associates, Tucson, AZ, 520-749-4220. A member of the Independent Educational Consultants Association (IECA), Nancy has more than 30 years of counseling, administrative and teaching experience.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 04:31:09 PM »
Okay, so Ashby originally arose from the ashes of Shackleton.  It looks like financier Mike Beavers was looking for his slice of the TT pie (note his prior efforts in NH).  Here's specs and some history on the change in hands:

=============================

THE COMMUNITY JOURNAL
Front Page   December 16, 2005
Shackelton assets sold for $1.3 million
New school for boys with learning, behavior issues to be opened
By Bill Gilman Journal Staff Writer

School may be back in session sooner than expected on Spring Hill Road. A Maryland investor with background in special needs education and the treatment of substance abuse issues has purchased the former Shackelton School and has plans to reopen the facility in 2006.

Michael Beavers, of Potomac, Md., confirmed this week that he has purchased the 70-acre parcel of land and all of its buildings from Shackelton Schools Inc. for $1.3 million. The deal was closed just before Thanksgiving.

According to Beavers, he intends to reopen the facility as Ashby Academy, a private junior high school for boys with learning disabilities and b e h a v i o r a issues.

“We’ll take young men ages 12-14. That’s where we’ll start,â€

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 06:33:28 PM »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 11:52:48 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""

After having spent the last couple hours ruining my eyes (and my brain) trying to decipher a shitload of SEC filings and couple hundred page prospectus, I think I have an inkling of what you are talking about.  Care to PM or email me and help me out a little here?  Click on my profile to get my email addy, it's spelled out there.  Thanks!

Offline exhausted

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2007, 06:21:56 AM »
Why can't learning disabled children stay at home??

I don't understand the need for centres like this .. they can learn everything they need to learn at home and go to a special needs school on a daily basis can't they?

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2007, 06:37:30 PM »
Parents, students at a loss as school in Ashby is closed
Academy worked with autism cases
By Felicia Mello, Globe Correspondent  |  September 4, 2007

When a therapist told Mark McGaunn about Ashby Academy, he thought he had found the perfect solution for his 14-year-old developmentally disabled son. He borrowed $5,000 for a deposit to hold his son's spot at Ashby, where the annual tuition is $66,000.

But late last week his hopes were dashed when the school abruptly closed, leaving families from around the country stunned and wondering where their children will attend school this year - or whether they will see their tuition money again. Several parents said they have been told their money might not be refunded.

Situated on a wooded campus just a short drive from the McGaunns' home in Sterling, the boarding school specialized in children with Asperger's syndrome, a type of autism that keeps sufferers - usually boys - from communicating well with other children.

McGaunn's son, who had tried public school and home schooling with little success, was to receive 16 hours a day of education and counseling, the school's director assured him. He would learn to make friends.

"This was our last thing," McGaunn said. "All our prayers were answered."

But now police say the FBI is looking into the circumstances of the closure, which happened the day before classes were to begin. It has been about a year since owner Michael Beavers opened the year-round school, telling reporters he wanted to help middle-school-aged boys whose disabilities make them a target of bullying in traditional schools.

A school biography describes him as businessman and lawyer.

Gail Marcinkiewicz, a spokeswoman for the FBI's Boston office, said that she had no details about the case and that the agency does not comment on ongoing investigations.

Reached by phone yesterday, Beavers said he was surprised at the attention the shuttering of the school had attracted. "This is not really world news," he said. "The school's a very private institution, and we didn't make a lot of noise about anything we did."

Beavers said the school had closed for financial reasons and had no further comment.

But parents expressed outrage that they learned about the school's financial problems too late for them to make other arrangements for their children, who have a range of learning disabilities. The nine families whose children were enrolled for this year come from as far as California and Chicago, and some had already prepaid the year's tuition. In some cases, children's belongings and academic and medical records are still at the school, complicating parents' efforts to place them elsewhere.

"The worst part about it is you have a child with problems and there is no way to place them," said Ira Schwidel of Tarrytown, N.Y., whose son Sean has attention deficit disorder and was the first student to attend the school last year. Schwidel and his wife, Renee, praised the quality of the school's staff and said they wish Sean could have continued there.

Sean became calmer and more social after attending Ashby, Renee Schwidel said. "Now it's like starting all over," she said.

Like some other parents, the Schwidels first learned about the closure in an answering-machine message from Beavers's wife on Friday, just before the students were due to return from a two-week break. Some parents said they were never contacted directly and found out when Ira Schwidel called them to discuss filing a lawsuit against Beavers.

Jennifer Heymann of San Mateo, Calif., said she looked at 13 other schools before settling on Ashby for her son, who has several learning disabilities. Even with the scholarship the school offered, she had to empty her retirement account and take out loans when she prepaid for a year in February. She said she has no idea where her son will go now, or how she would pay his tuition.

The school had struggled to attract students since opening last year, and in recent months had fired several staff members and stopped paying others, staff and parents said.

It was one of a small number of schools in the country to specialize in Asperger's syndrome, a burgeoning problem in Massachusetts and nationwide.

Children with Asperger's often experience a puzzling range of symptoms that affect both their ability to get good grades and their relationships with family members and other children.

"My son can't eat certain foods because he gets violently sick, he can't smell smells, he can't have bare feet going to bed because the feeling of the sheets makes his skin crawl," McGaunn said. "On top of that you have the learning disabilities and not being able to read body language. Life is hard."

Felicia Mello can be reached at [email protected].

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 08:33:54 AM »
How do they even diagnose asperger's it seems rather subjective?

At this point you can make a specialty home for basically every kid in America, they all have some disorder.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2007, 07:03:57 AM »
Glickman Kovago & Company
Worcester, MA

www.glickmankovago.com

November 16, 2007

Educational Campus For Sale in Ashby, MA. Situated in the picturesque hills of north central Massachusetts with views of Boston in the distance, the former Ashby Academy is comprised of 14 buildings with over 34,809 square feet of space and 6,404 square feet of maintenance and storage areas.

The 69 acre college/university grade campus includes dormitory style housing, staff quarters, administrative offices, academic classrooms, study and recreation areas, a cafeteria and a library. The buildings are modern and bright; many have been newly built and designed to complement the recently updated existing historical structures. Large manicured grass fields surrounded by miles of woodland walking trails with lighting provide ample opportunity for outdoor activities.

A new educational facility could open its doors at this location with very little effort or modification to the property. Please contact Glickman Kovago & Company at (508) 753-9100 and speak with Jim at ext. 222 or Dave at ext. 230. [email protected].